Team-BHP - Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/81414-delhi-kullu-manali-delhi-route-queries-4.html)

Delhi- Manali will take you about 12-14hrs depending on the traffic.
From Delhi I started early by 5.30am. Upto Kiratpur Sahib the roads are driving in the plains.The ghat section starts after Kiratpur Sahib.Sundernagar has good occomodation facilities if you want to break in the journey.
I reached Manali by 6pm without break in my journey except for breakfast and lunch.
Delhi to Chandigarh six laning is in progress in some stretches.You can bypass Chandigarh by going via Banur and Rupnagar.
Overall the roads are good throughout.

Hey Folks,

One of my friends is planning to do Delhi-Manali on coming weekend. He would be driving his FIAT LINEA. Given that the car will have four adults seated in and boot stuffed in, how are road conditions with respect to the ground clearance of LINEA.

Should he expect scraping or engine guard hits?

Guys,
Any current info. on road conditons.(Delhi to Manali).
I am planning to leave delhi on 22nd june. Also, please suggest some good accomodation and eating joints in manali and enroute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar_anupam (Post 3146078)
Guys,
Any current info. on road conditons.(Delhi to Manali).
I am planning to leave delhi on 22nd june. Also, please suggest some good accomodation and eating joints in manali and enroute.

Rivercountry Manali is a good place.Mall road at Manali is filled with eating places.http://www.rivercountrymanali.co.in/ Budget for a 13-15hr drive depending on traffic conditions post Kiratpur Sahib.

I stayed at silmog garden in manali,a budget hotel with rates at 1500 per room,Was very satisfied with the services.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheetumanu (Post 2353584)
One of my friends is planning to do Delhi-Manali on coming weekend. He would be driving his FIAT LINEA. Given that the car will have four adults seated in and boot stuffed in, how are road conditions with respect to the ground clearance of LINEA.

Should he expect scraping or engine guard hits?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar_anupam (Post 3146078)
Guys, Any current info. on road conditons.(Delhi to Manali).

Route is by and large clean throughout the year. There are few spots (like before Mandi) are prone to occasional landslides depending on rains. One can take a diversion at Kullu and cross the river to have a better ride to Manali. During monsoon road after Kullu till Palchan is not that smooth.

No worry about scrapping engine sump and all. Just need to be little careful.

I just came back from manali where I had gone with my family. Roads are fantastic from Delhi till kiratpur post which gradual ascent starts. Apart from a few small sections the roads are in excellent condition for sedans. I stayed at Banon resorts at manali after breaking my journey at Chandigarh both ways. This hotel is close to the club house away from the hustle bustle of manali in this peak tourist season. Tariff is on the higher side but haven't seen a more beautiful resort in manali. Eateries are abundant but don't miss out on Johnson's cafe. The trout there is to die for.

Friends,

I am going to Manali on 22nd of June . I shall be coming back on 27th from there.
After seeing daily reports about floods in Uttranchal and part of Himachal, I am deeply concerned about the driving condition and weather in Manali.

Can some one share with me the latest road conditions to Manali. Is Rohtang Pass still open ...

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_nv (Post 3153651)
Friends,

I am going to Manali on 22nd of June . I shall be coming back on 27th from there.
After seeing daily reports about floods in Uttranchal and part of Himachal, I am deeply concerned about the driving condition and weather in Manali.

Can some one share with me the latest road conditions to Manali. Is Rohtang Pass still open ...

Thanks

Weather turbulence is common in Jun-Jul in the Himalayan region. There has been heavy snowfall in the HImalayan region and that resulted in temporary closure of the high passes like Baralacha la, Khardung la and Chang la. This is quite common during this time of the year. The floods of UK & HP are unconnected with Ladakh & there have no problems anywhere in Ladakh except for the 1/2 day road closure. All roads are now open, weather has returned to normalcy & there is nothing to be unduly perturbed about.

Kiratpur-Bilaspur NH21 road is in bad shape - as always - and traffic is high on the highway between Kulu & Manali, it being the peak North Indian tourist season. Avoid the NH21 from Bhunter onwards & take the Kulu bypass & the left bank road to Manali, which is less trafficked. Rohtang Pass is at its best the last many years, except for the time restrictions & the need to leave Manali before 6 am to cross it before the day-tripper crowd starts.

Thanks HVK for your prompt reply. I have been reading your travelogues for many years and your update has comforted me a lot.

I would be going in my Chevy Cruze AT and another friends family in would travel in Innova. Do let me know if I need to be careful about any thing and any precaution I need to take before I start (Specific to vehicles we would be using for the trip).

I would be staying in Span Resort in Manali which is 20 kms before Manali. Can I still take the alternative route suggested by you to reach this resort ?

Also it would be great if you can help me plan my day trip to Rohtang pass..

Thanks a lot for your help.

INV

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 3153683)
Weather turbulence is common in Jun-Jul in the Himalayan region. There has been heavy snowfall in the HImalayan region and that resulted in temporary closure of the high passes like Baralacha la, Khardung la and Chang la. This is quite common during this time of the year. The floods of UK & HP are unconnected with Ladakh & there have no problems anywhere in Ladakh except for the 1/2 day road closure. All roads are now open, weather has returned to normalcy & there is nothing to be unduly perturbed about.

Kiratpur-Bilaspur NH21 road is in bad shape - as always - and traffic is high on the highway between Kulu & Manali, it being the peak North Indian tourist season. Avoid the NH21 from Bhunter onwards & take the Kulu bypass & the left bank road to Manali, which is less trafficked. Rohtang Pass is at its best the last many years, except for the time restrictions & the need to leave Manali before 6 am to cross it before the day-tripper crowd starts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_nv (Post 3153709)
I would be staying in Span Resort in Manali which is 20 kms before Manali. Can I still take the alternative route suggested by you to reach this resort ?

You can't take the alternate route because that route turns to the right quite a few kms before Span Resorts!

Thanks Mate..

Appreciate your prompt response..

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataclysm (Post 3153721)
You can't take the alternate route because that route turns to the right quite a few kms before Span Resorts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_nv (Post 3153709)

I would be going in my Chevy Cruze AT and another friends family in would travel in Innova. Do let me know if I need to be careful about any thing and any precaution I need to take before I start (Specific to vehicles we would be using for the trip).

Also it would be great if you can help me plan my day trip to Rohtang pass..

Thanks a lot for your help.

INV

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataclysm (Post 3153721)

Nothing specific to the cars.
You are not allowed to take your own cars to Rohtang Pass nowadays. So maybe you can plan a drive to the Lahaul Valley till Keylong & back so that you can also cover Rohtang Pass on the way.
Yes, as cataclysm says, you have no choice but to take the direct route to reach Span Resorts

Hi HVK,

I had to cancel my Manali trip in June as my friends Dad had to be hospitalized a day before we were leaving. After lots of followup and negotiation we were able to postpone the trip to October.
We are making our second attempt to go to Manali. Will start from Delhi tomorrow evening and would stay over for a night at Patiala.

Have two fresh questions for you.
1. Best route for Manali from Patiala.
2. Any new development on route to Manali especially of road conditions.
3. Current temp in manali is from high of 7-8 Degrees to the low of 1-2 degree.
4. Any update on Rohtang pass. Can we see snow there now?
5. We are two families. 4 adults and three kids with one maid. Should be go on our own to Rohtang pass or go by Bus?

Thanks a lot for all your help so far.

INV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 3153755)
Nothing specific to the cars.
You are not allowed to take your own cars to Rohtang Pass nowadays. So maybe you can plan a drive to the Lahaul Valley till Keylong & back so that you can also cover Rohtang Pass on the way.
Yes, as cataclysm says, you have no choice but to take the direct route to reach Span Resorts

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_nv (Post 3262117)
1. Best route for Manali from Patiala.

Patiala-Rajpura-Kharar-Rupnagar-Kiratpur-Bilaspur-Mandi-Kulu-Manali.

The same NH21 from Kharar onwards.

Quote:

2. Any new development on route to Manali especially of road conditions.
Road from Kiratpur to Bilaspur remains as bad as ever.

Quote:

3. Current temp in manali is from high of 7-8 Degrees to the low of 1-2 degree.
With snowfall occurring on and off in the higher reaches, temperature can dip further.

Quote:

4. Any update on Rohtang pass. Can we see snow there now?
It recently snowed in Ladakh, Baralacha la, but no idea about Rohtang. But now that winter is approaching, expect snowfall in Rohtang too.

Quote:

5. We are two families. 4 adults and three kids with one maid. Should be go on our own to Rohtang pass or go by Bus?
You need to take permits to drive to Rohtang, assuming it is open when you visit. Once snowfall starts, there are plenty of restrictions on travel on the road to Rohtang. I prefer my own car to some rusty taxi.