Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 12:57   #16
BHPian

I agree to all the comments above!

PATIENCE is THE keyword!!! Stick to your lane as much as possible and you will do just fine.

I actually find driving in hills easier than on highways

Atleast you know no bullock-cart/cyclewallah will suddenly appear on road out of no where.

If you are an experienced driver on highways, then hills would not be a problem at all!!
Old 14th May 2010, 13:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Any update on whether the widening of the Banur road is over?

What is the difference in distance? 15 kms less if you come via Banur instead of going via Chandigarh.
Ambala-Chandigarh-Kharar, 65 kms
Ambala-Banur-Kharar, 50 kms
One of my colleague's hometown is Kharar and he goes there almost every weekend. Latest update regarding Banur road from him is that widening work is still going on. But still would recommend this route to anyone just so as to avoid Chandigarh.
Old 14th May 2010, 13:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Any update on whether the widening of the Banur road is over?

What is the difference in distance? 15 kms less if you come via Banur instead of going via Chandigarh.
Ambala-Chandigarh-Kharar, 65 kms
Ambala-Banur-Kharar, 50 kms
17Km stretch from Ambala(Shambhu Toll)-Banur has been completed and its an amazing road now.
Stretch from Banur-Landran(Mohali) was not complete till last month.
And on this route you save on around 15Kms and hassles of dealing with Chandigarh cops,and you dont have to pay Toll as well.(There is a toll Plaza on NH22)
Old 14th May 2010, 14:07   #19
BHPian

@all above :
Thank you soo much guys, made of list of all these and I decided to bypass CH, I hate talking to cops so it better i skip CH.

Do we have ATMs on the go or is it suggested to carry more cash?
Old 15th May 2010, 14:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

ATM' are there on the way. Moreover some of the Petrol Bunks accept credit cards. It is a good idea to refuel before you enter Punjab ( petrol is cheaper in Haryana whereas Diesel is cheaper in Punjab).

As pinted out by HVK, you can take the road that is on the RHS side of the river (Naggar side). This road is a lot less crowded than the road from Kullu .

The area around Swarghat can be a real pain with heavily laden trucks crawling ahead at real slow speeds.

Johnson's Cafe is a place for real good food.

All the best and enjoy the trip
Old 15th May 2010, 18:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am in Manali right now and the weather is great (a bit warm in the day but nothing as compared to what it will be in Delhi).

Just a word of advice from me. I was in a camp in between kullu and manali and and every day without fail I saw the traffic police cutting challans of outstation vehicles for either having photocopy RC or tinted glasses( they werent even allowing the govt approved tints).

So just makes sure your paper work is complete and your car is ready.

regards
Old 15th May 2010, 20:57   #22
BHPian

@raj : thanks mate

@deky:
I'm sure there are no tints on my cousins car as its used for company urpose and I guess the car being a company maitained car, Has all the document up to date.

How is the traffic in kullu and manali ?
Old 16th May 2010, 12:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Manali is overflowing with tourists as the summer breaks have started. The traffic situation is OKish considering the fact that its a hill station and the roads are narrow.

But within manali you wont require your car as you can do everything on foot.

regards
Old 16th May 2010, 12:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I am in Manali right now and the weather is great (a bit warm in the day but nothing as compared to what it will be in Delhi).

Just a word of advice from me. I was in a camp in between kullu and manali and and every day without fail I saw the traffic police cutting challans of outstation vehicles for either having photocopy RC or tinted glasses( they werent even allowing the govt approved tints).

So just makes sure your paper work is complete and your car is ready.

regards
When i visited there in December in a cab, they were doing the same. And, those police guys stand in middle of the road and wave you down. I felt that was pretty risky. One instance our noble sardar driver just ignored and drove down almost knocking the police guy standing in middle of the road and later on was tensed for 50kms + for his foolish act. Thank god nothing happened.

Traffic in Mall Road in Manali is chock a block with they blocking half the mall road from any vehicle movement. My recommendation is to keep the car at hotel premises and walk around Manali town.
Old 16th May 2010, 12:44   #25
BHPian

@DEKY :
@MOBIKE :

Okies, I'll park my car at my hotel and do the short trips by walk.
Can you guys give me a quick 5 to 10 places in manali which are the most interesting ones around manali and are a must to visit?
Old 16th May 2010, 13:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
@DEKY :
@MOBIKE :

Can you guys give me a quick 5 to 10 places in manali which are the most interesting ones around manali and are a must to visit?
Please read the following thread completely:

Delhi to Manali by Car - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

Also, why would you stay in Manali and walk around the crowded town? Since you have a car, please take advantage of your mobility and visit the nearby areas. Some suggestions:

1. Naggar Castle. The hotel there is supposed to be wonderful. So is the Roerich Art Gallery.

2. Rohtang pass. Too popular already, but then it has to be on your list. Take your car.

Many other places. Some more research on the internet should yield a nice list.

Also, your decision to drive without a driver is ok. "Expert hill driver" is an anachronism. At that time, the roads were bad (including being very winding, steep and with loose gravel), the cars were terrible - heavy and underpowered - think old wheezy ambassadors. So you needed a certain amount of expertise to maintain momentum to be able to climb. None of this is true any longer. Your Fabia and you should be fine. Just stick to your side of the road in the hills, that's all!

My suggestion would be to stay in a hotel which is out of town. (You have a car!). Many nice places would be around.

I too am planning a visit this summer after many years. Still doing my research. Will share on this thread from time to time.

When do you leave?

Cheers
Old 16th May 2010, 13:44   #27
MX6
Senior - BHPian

1. Rohtang
2. Roerich Art Gallery
3. Naggar castle
4. Hidimba devi / ghatotkach temple
5. Vashishta temple with hot spring
Old 16th May 2010, 15:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

And to add to what MX6 has written, do not miss to eat really good Tibetese food at Chopstics restaurant, mall road (opposite main bus stand).

You could also try Parasailing ( solang nala) or river rafting ( in between manali and kullu on Beas.
Old 16th May 2010, 17:22   #29
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Apart from above, i liked the Trout Fish @ Johnson's Cafe near mall, Club house and Nature park for trekking/walking around with big pine trees.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:11   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
5. Vashishta temple with hot spring
Is this Manikaran that you are referring to? If not add that it to the list.

The drive is also amazing along the Parvati river. On this road, we had food at a Dhaba. The food was anyway amazing, but what was even better was the location of this dhaba. I dont remember the name though.

Most Viewed