Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 14:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

akp: you will be disappointed at Rewalsar. Your earlier itinerary is good enough except that including ropa and nako on the same day might not be a good idea. Sarahan- Jalori- Narkanda is very much doable. You can even on your return journey travel via basantpur avoiding the climp to Narkanda and then probably include Tattpani as your night halt. That way you will ahve a pretty relaxed journey and enjoyable too. And as usual I will advise not to jump watersheds and valleys unless absolutely essential.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:40   #17
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Your earlier itinerary is good enough except that including ropa and nako on the same day might not be a good idea.
Thanks, wanderernomad.
You are right, this was way too much for a single day to be enjoyable. Since we stay at Kalpa on that day, we will decide after reaching what to do on this day. Possibly we will just move around closer to kalpa and Rekong Peo.

Quote:
akp: you will be disappointed at Rewalsar.
Can you elaborate why you say so? I have heard only good things about the place, from genesis here and then on Indiamike and other sites. I understand that it is very different in nature from the other places we are going to visit during the trip, but that's ok with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Hotel numbers: Should be one of the two numbers else Lonely Planet will definitely have it.

Hotel Lotus Lake, phone 01905-280 239
Hotel Lotus Lake Rewalsar,
Contact Number:01905-240239
genesis, the second number (240239) is the correct one.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

I went to Rewalsar about 2.5 years back and found it to be no different than any other pilgrimage spot. Plus It was my thrid visit and the comparison of "then" and "now" was probably too visible for me to not get any "good" feeling. Plus it also depends on why you plan to visit? If its religious go ahead, if its a nature call, its better avoided.
Old 20th May 2010, 18:38   #19
akp
BHPian

Quote:
I went to Rewalsar about 2.5 years back and found it to be no different than any other pilgrimage spot. Plus It was my thrid visit and the comparison of "then" and "now" was probably too visible for me to not get any "good" feeling. Plus it also depends on why you plan to visit?
Thanks wanderer for sharing your view.
Initially this was just supposed to be a convenient place to break our journey. Then I heard and read some good things about the place, and just when I started getting a bit excited about the place, you have poured some cold water on it :-)
Anyway, as things stand now, we will reach there reasonably late on Day 7, and as per our present plan, we leave after breakfast on Day 8. So only thing that would matter is probably the hotel, which is decent. If we like the place during this period, then we extend our stay and return on Day 9. Else the present plan stays. Fair enough?
Old 20th May 2010, 21:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Akp sorry mate for the water sport, lol. Go ahead I am sure you will ahve fun and stay there for another day. My words were more so in the comparative manner at the cost of another better place, otherwise, go ahead its a nice holiday destination for many. Happy touring.
So whats the final routing looking like? Give more thought of doing the best possible places in Kinnaur as it might be a long time before you come back again to those parts.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 20th May 2010 at 21:06.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:58   #21
akp
BHPian

Quote:
@Akp sorry mate for the water sport, lol.
No need to be sorry, friend. I had asked for views, you have given yours. That is what discussions in forums like this are all about, you get different perspectives, different viewpoints. If anything, your take on Rewalsar would keep my expectations from the place firmly in check, so in a strange way, you might be helping me enjoy the place more, or reduce the disappointment even if I do not like the place.

Quote:
So whats the final routing looking like? Give more thought of doing the best possible places in Kinnaur as it might be a long time before you come back again to those parts.
From what I have gathered from some of the travelogues on this forum, we cannot do justice to Kinnaur in such a short time, we will have to go back to Kinnaur again.

Anyway, this is how things stand now:

Day 1 : Delhi-Narkanda (stay at Hatu)
Day 2 : Narkanda-Kalpa (stay at Kailash Cottage)
Day 3 : yet to decide, very much tempted to do the kazigs, so Kalpa- Nako-Kalpa is a possibility, but will take a call after reaching Kalpa. (stay at Kailash Cottage)
Day 4 : Kalpa-Sangla-Chitkul (stay at Pancholi Resort)
Day 5 : Chitkul (stay at Pancholi Resort)
Day 6 : Chitkul-Sarahan (stay at Hotel Srikhand)
Day 7 : Sarahan-Jalori pass-aut-mandi-rewalsar (stay at Hotel Lotus Lake)
Day 8 : extend stay if we like the place to the extent that we find reaching back home on Sunday night acceptable; else Rewalsar-Delhi
Old 21st May 2010, 23:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Delhi Narkanda would be hectic, bypass Shimla, Go via kandaghat, sadhupul, chail, kufri should save you some time.
Day 3 is doable and should be done.
Day 7 is again slightly hectic but doable.
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Echoing what wandernomad said, bypass Shimla. Even if you are continue on NH21 (instead of going via Chail), make sure you take the bypass from Tardevi to Dhali to avoid the traffic snarls you have in Shimla.
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:09   #24
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Delhi Narkanda would be hectic, bypass Shimla, Go via kandaghat, sadhupul, chail, kufri should save you some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Echoing what wandernomad said, bypass Shimla. Even if you are continue on NH21 (instead of going via Chail), make sure you take the bypass from Tardevi to Dhali to avoid the traffic snarls you have in Shimla.
Thanks wanderernomad and hvk.
In fact last month, we took the Chail route while going to Narkanda on a short weekend trip, hoping it would save us time. But the roads between Chail and Kufri are not in very good shape, and it was difficult to maintain an average speed of more than 20 kmph there. On our return journey, we came via Shimla and even though we were stuck in a jam for about half an hour, still total time taken was less.
So this time, taking the Shimla bypass is our plan.
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:40   #25

Great trip to go ahead with....We had a very good trip to Kalpa, Sangla-chitkul last sept..I will come back with details by this weekend..
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

AKP: Tourist numbers will not be the same as last month. But still I think the bypass should do you good as it cuts out most of the jam packed areas but you might face some 10 - 15 mins snarls around Khalini, but all in all I think it would make much more sense than the Chail route. Now a days there is even a bypass for Dhalli and Sanjauli which is a moderate steep left turn about a Km or so after IGMC, but to take it you will need to cross the Victory tunnel and lakkarbazzaar the two very infamous jam areas. But you can try it if you have time as the route is very scenic.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:39   #27
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratamondal View Post
Great trip to go ahead with....We had a very good trip to Kalpa, Sangla-chitkul last sept..I will come back with details by this weekend..
Thanks. Will be looking forward to those details.

Quote:
AKP: Tourist numbers will not be the same as last month.
That's right; more so, because it will be a saturday.

Quote:
Now a days there is even a bypass for Dhalli and Sanjauli which is a moderate steep left turn about a Km or so after IGMC, but to take it you will need to cross the Victory tunnel and lakkarbazzaar the two very infamous jam areas. But you can try it if you have time as the route is very scenic.
I am not very familiar with Shimla, so not very sure, but I have a feeling this was the route we took while coming back. The following is part of the gps trail of our return journey - see if this is the new bypass you mention.
Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary-gpstrail.jpg
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is the new road that I was talking about. My parents presently live about 100 meters from the Rajkiya Kanya Vidalaya hairpin, if you remember it that is, hehe. Now I want to go back home so bad.
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:46   #29

Let me tell you what was our plan :
Day 1 : shimla
Day 2 : Shimla - Sarahan
Day 3 : Sarahan - Kalpa
Day 4 : kalpa
Day 5 : Kalpa - Sangla
Day 6 : Chitkul
Day 7 : Sangla - Shimla

Now my few cents on your plan :

You seem to be ok with hours of travel daily..Most of the travel from Narkanda to Kalpa and Nako is on Inbo Tibet Border Road which is National Highway now.

It was one of the best roads in Himachal laid down during British regimen and it was made for better trade between India and Tibet. Though this is one of the most important road in Himachal, the condition of this road is not that good through out the entire span of it. Thanks to n number of Hydro power projects on the bank of Sutlej..Every day in the morning after at around 9 am they start blasting in the hills..which lead to landslides..Few would take from 30 mins to 2 hrs to clear the road, some may take 6 to 8 hrs..or a day even..You never know...On our entire journey we had to stop 3 times bcoz of blasts followed by landslides..One portion of road was closed for more than a day, but we were lucky that we reached that place next day so just few hours of wait and then the road opened..Why this is a concern for me is, you have a very tight plan and apart from Chitkul I don't see you have a single day of buffer..This is absolutely ok if you are travelling by road and you have no train/flight to catch...

Day 1 : Delhi-Narkanda (stay at Hatu) : This is fine. Though it will be tiring drive all the way,but will not be troublesome..most of the road is good..Narkanda is quite little hamlet and good place to stay overnight..

day 2: Narkanda-Kalpa (stay at Kailash Cottage) : My only advice would be leave as early as possible..the early you start the lesser chances of facing the landslides..

* We stayed in Kailash Cottage..It is just that you have to walk few stairs up to reach the cottage..if you don't have senior persons accompanying you, should not be a problem. KTDC Kalpa, is not so good..But location wise it is the best..

Day 3 : Kalpa - Nako - Kalpa would be tiring..I would say if you want to visit Nako, stay overnight..

Day 4 and 5: Nako to Sangla is achievable in one day..if you are staying in Nako.
* We stayed in Banjara Camp is Sangla..the experience is really good..though it is pricey..the lovely Baspa flowing just beside Banjara makes it even better..Pancholi resort is the last hotel in Chitkul..a newly built hotel..and the mighty Himalayas in 3 sides..should be a good option..Enjoy the walk to Batseri village and the army check post from Chitkul..you will love it..

Day 6: Go ahead..Srikhand is a nice KTDC hotel. I heard that the mngr of srikhand is a nice guy and he has made the difference..Though I am sure you might not like the place as you are coming from Kalpa, nako and Chitkul..which are heavenly..

I have not had a chance to move towards Jalori pass..Want to include in my next trip..
Old 23rd May 2010, 22:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

I agree with subratamondal - the NH22 is being widened after Rampur/Powari and in many places there is blasting going on which means blockades and interruptions, for which you need to budget some extra time.

Places like Nako - make bookings in advance, there is limited accommodation which is likely to be full.

Jalori Pass - during the current snow melt season, road should be very slushy and bad towards the top.

Most Viewed