Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 14:17   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Have you found out the latest situation there? The phone number of the manager Mr Sandip Karar of the hotel we stayed in is somewhere in my Chitkul thread - you can try to get the latest info from him.

Sarahan is a beautiful place, though very different in character from Chitkul or Sangla. If you have enough time, from Narkanda, instead of proceeding on NH22 (taking the almost U-turn on your left just after Hatu), you can go straight and drive through Thanedar - you will meet NH22 a little before Rampur - it is a beautiful drive, with sparse traffic, and apple trees on both sides. There won't be any apples though at this time of the year.
Thanks a lot for the info. I'll check with him though I know that as of now Chitkul is covered in snow but it'll be helpful to get the latest updates the day I leave for Chitkul, because I might halt at Sangla in case the road conditions to Chitkul aren't good and in case there's likelihood of getting stuck in Chitkul due to heavy snowfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I think it's a good decision. You should be able to have nice views of the Shrikhand peak from Sarahan. The restaurant at the HPTDC hotel, The Shrikhand, dishes out some yummy food. I had the best tomato soup of my life (till now) in there. Also the uphill drive after Jeori is a good one.
Sarahan is only a night stay option as of now so I'll only have the next morning to roam around a little, that too in car only as I'd want to reach Chitkul as early as possible.
Just a week to go; time when the excitement starts peaking up, eh!
You can't imagine how nervous & skeptic I initially was when I'd decided to go all the way up to Sarahan on Day 1 but its reassurances like these that help convert all the nervousness in to excitement.
Question for all -
Which is a better route to be taken to Sarahan?
Shimla -> Naldehra -> Basantpur -> Chaba -> Luhri -> Sarahan
or
Shimla -> Theog -> Narkanda -> Sarahan

The first one is only 3 kms more than the second route and I'd be able to bypass Kufri traffic also, what say?
Old 15th April 2011, 14:29   #77
Team-BHP Support

Kufri traffic is not too bad when it does not snow. What time are you starting from Shimla?
Old 15th April 2011, 14:47   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Kufri traffic is not too bad when it does not snow. What time are you starting from Shimla?
Tanveer ji I'd be starting from Delhi at 4am sharp (maybe even 3:30am). Based on the start time the assumption is to reach Shimla by 12 or 12:30pm (Can I?)

The reason I'm asking for the Naldehra route is becaues it is only 3 kms more than the Narkanda route and since it doesn't have any tourist spots on the way wouldn't it have less traffic?
Old 15th April 2011, 14:55   #79
Team-BHP Support

Recent bad weather has ruined some internal roads. Even the Normal highway is in a bad shape, but the other roads may be worse.
That said, since you are starting early, you can take the risk. You may lose 20-30 minutes max, and if its indeed a better route, then you will gain time!.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:34   #80
Senior - BHPian

Ok, is lunch advisable at Shimla or somewhere before it? In case I take Naldehra route than I don't think I'd have too many options for lunch there.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:37   #81
Team-BHP Support

Have brunch at Dharampur (Gyani Dhaba etc.,) and then have an early dinner at sarahan
Old 15th April 2011, 21:55   #82
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Question for all -
Which is a better route to be taken to Sarahan?
Shimla -> Naldehra -> Basantpur -> Chaba -> Luhri -> Sarahan
or
Shimla -> Theog -> Narkanda -> Sarahan
I have not taken the first route, but I think it is more scenic, and has less traffic (going by my experience with the Luhri-Sainj part, which is the last few kilometers of that route before you are on NH22 again). However, the roads might be narrower, so you may not save much time, but it might still be worth it because of the other factors. Again, I'd advice you to get in touch with wanderernomad - he knows the area inside out.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got an update from someone on BCMT that all hotels in Chitkul are closed as of now. Can anybody confirm this?
And thats me :P. Man you planning too much
Old 16th April 2011, 10:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
I have not taken the first route, but I think it is more scenic, and has less traffic (going by my experience with the Luhri-Sainj part, which is the last few kilometers of that route before you are on NH22 again). However, the roads might be narrower, so you may not save much time, but it might still be worth it because of the other factors. Again, I'd advice you to get in touch with wanderernomad - he knows the area inside out.
I've PMed him, awaiting reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
And thats me :P. Man you planning too much
lol I know. The P of the PDCA cycle is most important for me being a quality guy.
Now since you are here too, which route do I take if the plan is to go to Sarahan all the way, via Naldehra or Narkanda? (no plans of stopping mid-way till the time I'm able to hit Shimla by 12/12:30.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:39   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I've PMed him, awaiting reply...
Hey mate, any outcome on the route to be taken?

Me's planning for a hyper fast, four day, Noida-Kinnaur-Noida dash over this weekend.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey mate, any outcome on the route to be taken?

Me's planning for a hyper fast, four day, Noida-Kinnaur-Noida dash over this weekend.
I haven't received any response from WN till now.

Shimla-Naldehra-Chaba-Luhri was very recently done by 'rkbharat' and as per him this route is better as it only has ~10kms of bad road (near Luhri IIRC). On the other hand Shimla-Theog-Narkanda route has ~25kms of bad road from Narkanda onwards.

However, he was recommending that I take the Narkanda route just in case I have to halt before Sarahan as I'd have the option of staying at Theog/Matiana/Narkanda where as the other route doesn't really have any such options for overnight stay.

I've planned to take the Narkanda route only but while coming back I'd come via Chaba.

Are you leaving tomorrow?
Old 19th April 2011, 11:54   #87
BHPian

Quote:

Shimla-Naldehra-Chaba-Luhri was very recently done by 'rkbharat' and as per him this route is better as it only has ~10kms of bad road (near Luhri IIRC). On the other hand Shimla-Theog-Narkanda route has ~25kms of bad road from Narkanda onwards.

However, he was recommending that I take the Narkanda route just in case I have to halt before Sarahan as I'd have the option of staying at Theog/Matiana/Narkanda where as the other route doesn't really have any such options for overnight stay.

I've planned to take the Narkanda route only but while coming back I'd come via Chaba.

Are you leaving tomorrow?
Nope, leaving on Friday morning mate. Same as you I think. Guess it's time for some PMs.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:35   #88
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

On the Sunni route, there is a Forest Rest House at Sunni (very decent, good rooms - booking to be done from Forest Office at Sunni.) and there is also a PWD GH at Sunni, but the same was under renovation in Feb, also a few hotels at Sunni. Ahead, Tattapani has a number of hotels and GH's, Post that, I think there is a FRH at Chaba also. And then Luhri has hotels etc.

Should not be a problem of stay on either of the routes.

All the Best!!
Old 17th May 2011, 18:02   #89
akp
BHPian

Quote:

@fine69: Any update? Did you do the trip finally? If you did, can you please update me about the road conditions? Specially the stretch between Bhavanagar and Karchham? I would like to know, because we are thinking of Chitkul again as an option for our visit this June.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks