Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2010, 10:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

ok guys,
i am starting the trip toward MP and Gujrat on 19th of this month.

The last query,
earlier, i opted to travel between Somnath and Dwarka by taxi, but taxiwala are demanding two way fare i.e. rs 5k for this 250km journey which is ridiculous.
I searched for other mode and found that there are some luxury bus operators on this route but could not get any further info.
I am not interested in regular state bus service.
If anyone has info about luxury bus service for this sector, it will be helpful for me.
Old 14th November 2010, 10:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

BTW, AP, the road between Somanath and Dwaraka is in a very bad condition!

Unfortunately, there are no trains in this sector.

I guess you will have to trust that there will be some mini-buses (on share-a-seat) plying on this route, although I do not know any.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
BTW, AP, the road between Somanath and Dwaraka is in a very bad condition!
Unfortunately, there are no trains in this sector.
I guess you will have to trust that there will be some mini-buses (on share-a-seat) plying on this route, although I do not know any.
oho,

bad roads on this tourist stretch in Gujarat!!!

As i am traveling with parents, i will not take any chance and will go for taxi.

Thanks HVK for updates.
I will come back with more updates with pics of roads between khandwa-omkareshwar-indore-ujjain, somnath-dwarka-okha, dwarka-jamnagar.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 14th November 2010 at 11:26.
Old 1st May 2011, 10:28   #19
BHPian

re: Dwarka and Somnath : Route Queries

A piece of advise to all visiting Dwarka Temple, steer clear from the Pandits there. They are a bunch of thugs, only there to sweetly rob you of you money.

Yesterday I visited the Dwarka temple. I wanted to take back prasad to my home in Veraval (a 3 hrs drive from Dwarka, near Somnath Temple). While handing the first thug money for the prasad, he first asked me my name an then went on to ask "kaun si jaati ke ho?"(which caste do you belong to). I lost it at that very moment and asked him why was he asking for my caste inside the temple, he did not have any answer, just tore the slip angrily and handed it over to me. As I collected the prasad from the counter, another pandit (thug no.2) approached me and asked my name then went on to ask my jaati again. I looked him straight in the eye and refused to tell it to him, I aske dhim what was the need of my caste inside the temple, that did Lord Krishna ask anyone for their caste religion? Two other thugs joined him but I managed to shut their pie holes.

These pandits simply play with the religious sentiments of the people and misguide them in order to get money. Please do not give any money to those thugs in Dwarka Temple.
saurabhkanchan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 14:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
oho,

bad roads on this tourist stretch in Gujarat!!!

As i am traveling with parents, i will not take any chance and will go for taxi.

Thanks HVK for updates.
I will come back with more updates with pics of roads between khandwa-omkareshwar-indore-ujjain, somnath-dwarka-okha, dwarka-jamnagar.
Hello Ashish,

do share experiences of this trip; would be useful.

regards,
Pranav
Old 16th August 2011, 14:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hello Ashish,
do share experiences of this trip; would be useful.regards,
Pranav

Already posted the travelogue.

please go through
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ilgrimage.html
Old 16th August 2011, 16:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Already posted the travelogue.

please go through
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ilgrimage.html
thanks AP for the fast response. Your TL is simply superb.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:05   #23
BHPian

Hello All,
This thread is pretty old- 2010. Was wondering if anyone can update me on the current road conditions. Planning a trip in October end, I don't know yet how I will reach Jamnagar from Pune. Have booked tickets but are WL. Worst, part of the family will travel by Air and part by car. Now I want to know of the road conditions starting Jamnagar->Dwarka->Somnath->Jamnagar.
I did get info from another thread that road is pretty good from Pune to Jamnagar if I take Pune->Baroda->Ahmedabad->Rajkot->Jamnagar.

Please advise me on the conditions for Jamnagar->Dwarka->Somnath->Jamnagar.

Regards
Kartik
Old 24th August 2012, 13:59   #24
BANNED

I suggest you PM vigsom. He was at Jamnagar for almost two decades and has just moved out about a month ago.
Old 25th August 2012, 00:44   #25
BHPian

kartikoak
Hi
In April I drove from Bombay to northwest Gujarat and went to a few places.
From Jamnagar to Veraval and from there to Diu the road is good except for a stretch of 50 kms which was bad.They were repairing it so maybe it is good now.Generally all gujarat roads are very good no issues there.
Pune to Jamnagar via Ahmedabad Rajkot is superb specially after Baroda.
Hope this helps
Regards
Old 25th August 2012, 11:55   #26
BHPian

In the month of June I travelled to Dwarka, Somnath and Diu from Mumbai. Roads are excellent throughout except few patches between Somnath and Diu. You can average 80kmph in most of the sections. On the first day, we covered 930kms in 13 hours with 4 breaks. PM me if you need logs.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikoak View Post
Hello All,
Now I want to know of the road conditions starting Jamnagar->Dwarka->Somnath->Jamnagar.
I did get info from another thread that road is pretty good from Pune to Jamnagar if I take Pune->Baroda->Ahmedabad->Rajkot->Jamnagar.

Please advise me on the conditions for Jamnagar->Dwarka->Somnath->Jamnagar.

Regards
Kartik
I did this stretch in June this year.Dwarka - Jamnagar is 2 Lane mostly but Roads are in good condition .After Jamnagar it is 4 Lane or more all the way till Pune (Via Rajkot, Ahmedabad, Baroda), the road condition is awesome.

Somnath - Dwarka is mostly a 2 Lane stretch with intermittent bad patches but traffic is sparse, so did not face any issues.I think it took me 6 hours to cover this stretch.

Check out the 'Bangalore to Gir' thread for more information.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...onal-park.html

Last edited by ramanak : 26th August 2012 at 01:23.
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:21   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I plan to visit dwarka and Somnath. Planning to drive from vadodara. My parents would be flying from Delhi on Friday night and going back on sunday night. The plan is to make an early start on saturday morning from Vadodara and return back on sunday by evening maximum. Have a few queries:
1. Is it possible to cover both the places in one and half day, since my parents need to catch the 8 pm flight from Vadodara to Delhi on Sunday.
2. What route to take? Should I head to Dwarka first via: Vadodara- Ahm- Rajkot- Jamnagar- Dwarka? Or go to Somnath first ?
3. Which route to take for Somnath? I have driven the Vadodara-Ahm-Rajkot-Jamnagar circuit multiple times and quite comfortable with the road. Should I follow the same for Somnath also i.e. till Rajkot and then go towards Somnath?
4. Are these 2 temples also like the usual shrines in India with long queues? How much time would it take approximately at each place?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd April 2014 at 18:22.
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:14   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
3. Which route to take for Somnath? I have driven the Vadodara-Ahm-Rajkot-Jamnagar circuit multiple times and quite comfortable with the road. Should I follow the same for Somnath also i.e. till Rajkot and then go towards Somnath?
4. Are these 2 temples also like the usual shrines in India with long queues? How much time would it take approximately at each place?
Seems a bit tight to me. As for the route, what I would suggest is to exit NE1 at Nadiad and latch on to 8A via Dholka. May help reduce time.

But in spite of that:

Vadodara-Nadiad-Rajkot-Junagad-Veraval-Porbandar-Dwarka-Jamnnagar-Rajkot-Nadiad-Vadodara is about 1200+ km. So we are easily talking of 14-15 hours of driving. On that basis alone I thought one-and-a-half days would be less.

If you day 1 for either of these place we are talking 500km. If you reach by evening (say Somnath) and are you are able to get a darshan, even then its impossible to visit Dwaraka and come back. And add to it you may also want to visit Porbandar. I think you may need 2 nights minimum, one each at Veraval (Somnath) and Dwarka.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:39   #30
BHPian

I would recommend that you choose between Dwarka and Somnath. With the lack of time, Somnath seems a better option because there's a lot to see in and around Somnath.

Don't take the route via Bhavnagar. Go to Rajkot and then to Somnath via Junagadh. Here's the route that I took last year. I doubt it will be too crowded at Somnath, still it's better to check with some locals.

If time permits, check Madhavpur. It's not too far from Somnath.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks