Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 14:56   #1
BHPian

Budget vacation - Goa

Folks, me and wife have decided to do a budget vacation to Goa. Have booked train tickets (SL) from Hyd to Goa (Via KCG-YPR exp) and got a great deal of Rs. 1714 at Osborne holiday resort, Calangute - with taxes for all 3 nights (Courtsy Travelguru). Dates 11, 12, 13 of Sep.

We are on a shoestring budget and it would be great if you can help me with a few things:

1) after getting down at Vasco da gama railway station, are there any bike rentals close to the railway station. any contact numbers will help. The train reaches vasco at 3.30PM on 11th and the plan is to take the bike directly to calangute and return it early in the morning on 14th (7AM is my return train to Hyd)
2) on calangute/baga can you please give indicative prices per ride of watersports like the speed water scooter, para sailing etc.
3) we plan to enjoy the party scene, which apparently starts late in the night. is it safe to travel (with wife) on a mobike in the late hours?
4) do the disc's take cover/entry charge like here in the metro's?
5) any other tips will help

PS. mobike008 (Avi) has been very helpful and infact it was his travelogue that convinced me to book Osborne.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Few cents from my experience during last year visit.

2) on calangute/baga can you please give indicative prices per ride of watersports like the speed water scooter, para sailing etc.

>Being offseason, water sports would not be much common but affordable. I forgot what I paid but my collegue is updating me now that prices are like 200~300 bucks per ride for water scooter, 500~800 bucks for a short para sailing, 1500~2500 bucks for scuba diving etc. You need to negotiate hard to get best deals.

3) we plan to enjoy the party scene, which apparently starts late in the night. is it safe to travel (with wife) on a mobike in the late hours?

>Calangute-Baga is the most happening beaches in North Goa, so partying may not be a big deal. But again offseason would slighly limit your fun. Calangute-Baga area was live till midnight while we went, so not finding any risks. Be yourself and try not to venture much with localites who offer many things.

5) any other tips will help

>Food is quite expensive in Goa. Plan accordingly, budget atleast 200 bucks per meal.

>Shop knik-knaks only if you are good in bargaining. They quote double or triple the actual cost expecting you will bargain.

>Dont try to carry liquor back especially if travelling in a train, shop keepers would talk about permits and all but nothing works when the cops create a scene.

>Dont venture much with outsiders, lot of traps are there to loot money.

>Carry only enough cash and cards. Avoid wearing expensive jewelleries.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2010, 15:40   #3
BHPian

Well I had been to goa about 2 weeks back from Hyderabad. But I had taken the Volvo Bus that dropped me @ Panjim. So I will not be able to help you on all the questions but lets see what have we got :

1) Can't help much on this, sorry.

2) The sea is rough owing to monsoons, so water-sports is primarily closed on all beaches. There are red flags hoisted on all beaches that indicate going in for a dip is not allowed. Coast guards are also deployed. They are on alert and call back any one who goes into more than 4 feet deep water. But, I hope things have improved and you get to try it out.

3) If you restrict your night biking to the streets that are studded with discos, clubs and bars then it is not risky at all. But, it is not advisable to go off to roads that are sparsely populated (for e.g the ones near Aguda fort). Of all the night clubs and discos present there, I guess Tito's will be your best bet. It starts at around 10-10:30 PM. And please do not get talked into any unknown disco/club etc by the roadside guys (mainly kids) who act as agents for those. Those are nasty places and sometimes unsafe as well.

4) We were a bunch of 9 guys, and most of the places demanded hefty entry charges from us and few even refused to allow us. But couple entry charge is far less normally and is compensated by complimentary pitchers and drinks @ good places. Perhaps someone else could also help on this.

5)

i) If you plan to stay at Calengute then make sure that your rented bike has ample of fuel in it since that place does not have fuel stations nearby. You can get black supply from the local bike rent guys @65/Litre.

ii) If you plan to go on cruises on the river, please please avoid the God forsaken "Paradise Cruises". Better first go to the spot from where the cruises start, have a look, decide, and then go for purchasing tickets. (Ticket counters are at a different location little ahead).

iii) If you are planning to return with some supplies of liquor, please ask for a challan/inter-state travel certificate from the vendor. Checking on trains is less than those on Volvos, but better be prepared. Else they will confiscate it and fine you. Happened to many on the bus in which i returned. Luckily i was'nt carrying any since i was more than satisfied with the quanitiy i had over there during the stay.

iv) If you are looking for some good eating during the stay, please try Moti Mahal at Panaji/Panjim. Its most renowned over there, and food is delicious. So is the ambience. Anybody at Panjim can provide you directions to this place, if you ask.

v) Please carry raincoats, so that rains do not dampen your biking spirits there.

All the best, and have a blast.

PS : My profile pic is taken on Baga beach on a rented bike. :-)

Last edited by bblost : 21st October 2010 at 14:06. Reason: Please refer forum rules. Esp rule #11. Thanks.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Few cents from my experience during last year visit.
2)
>Being offseason
3)
>Calangute-Baga is the most happening beaches
5)
>Food is quite expensive in Goa. Plan accordingly, budget atleast 200 bucks per meal.
JACS, thanks a ton for the tips! Since i am on a budget, i will bargain hard else will let eyes have the fun of watersports. We are strict veggies, any suggested restaurents on calangute/baga?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
taken the Volvo Bus that dropped me @ Panjim.
3) If you restrict your night biking to the streets that are studded with discos, clubs and bars then it is not risky at all.
4)couple entry charge is far less
5)
i)
iv)Moti Mahal
v) Please carry raincoats
PS : My profile pic is taken on Baga beach on a rented bike. :-)
Thank you silkdrive.
Volvo bus, wow. Didnt know there existed one. What did they charge and how many hours did it take?
3) will do so. thanks
4) thats comforting
iv) i think i heard of this place. IIRC they serve only veg and serves my purpose well.
v) heading to buy one this weekend.
Nice pic btw, it looks like an avenger
Old 1st September 2010, 16:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post

Thank you silkdrive.
Volvo bus, wow. Didnt know there existed one. What did they charge and how many hours did it take?
Nice pic btw, it looks like an avenger
Man, really you have not heard of volvo bus or are you pulling my leg here, since i went a bit overboard with the deails?

Actually the point was that i landed in Panjim, so am not sure about things in Vasco.

Anyways, the bus took 12 and half hours while going and 11 and half during return. Fare is 1250 one way, per head for Keisineni Travels, and 950 per head, one way for Paulo travels.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Man, really you have not heard of volvo bus or are you pulling my leg here
Anyways, the bus took 12 and half hours while going and 11 and half during return. Fare is 1250 one way, per head for Keisineni Travels, and 950 per head, one way for Paulo travels.
Gosh! No leg pulling here. Ofcourse i travelled in volvo buses, but didnt know that there is one from Hyderabad to Goa.
1250/950, 12.5 hrs i think is pretty decent & VFM. Will try it next time. Thanks again for the info!
Old 1st September 2010, 17:14   #7
BHPian

There is a Sagar at the beginning of Calangute beach. This is a complete Veg restaurant and pretty reasonable. One of my colleague was saying there are a few more Veg places on the Calangute beach road which are reasonable as well. I had stayed in Baga a while ago. I don't remember seeing any Veg restaurant in that stretch. Luckily, the place I stayed in 'Colonia Santa Maria' had a restaurant with good Veg food.
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
There is a Sagar at the beginning of Calangute beach. This is a complete Veg restaurant and pretty reasonable.
Aditya, thanks for the info.

Anybody from Goa who know if there are bike rentals near the vasco railway station? if yes and if you have their contact numbers, can you please pass me on those?

Thanks.
Arun
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:05   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

E_Torque. I rented Maruti Zen through known sources for a day and paid around 700 for rent alone for one day. I've misplaced the number and am searching for the same.
I loved the zen more than the motorcycle
Let me see if I can find the number.

By the way what happened to your Pune / Malsejh trip planned earlier on the same days?

Last edited by MX6 : 3rd September 2010 at 13:07.
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

I will try and get you some contact no. of a bike rental guy. Off season rates starts at 120 rs per day for Activa/Dio

As food is expensive in goa, please avoid eating at beach restaurants. In Goa,i always go in to the heart of the city and enjoy very great authentic food at very very reasonable prices. I was staying in GTDC @ Margoa beach. Tandoori king fish is served at the Rs 450 per peice, where as i had the same (or much better) king fish in a restaurant (opp bsnl office, margoa) at Rs 130.

Also pm your number .

Regards,

Waseem (SILVERWOOD)
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aditya, thanks for the info.

Anybody from Goa who know if there are bike rentals near the vasco railway station? if yes and if you have their contact numbers, can you please pass me on those?

Thanks.
Arun
Get out of the rlw stn and turn left at the crossing (farmacia teles is at the corner). On the right of this road after 30 40 meters is a shop that hires out bikes. he is quite reasonable.
have a great time.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:11   #12
kkg
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
JACS, thanks a ton for the tips! Since i am on a budget, i will bargain hard else will let eyes have the fun of watersports. We are strict veggies, any suggested restaurents on calangute/baga?
AS Aditya mentioned Sagar is a good veg restaurant on main Calangute road on your right side. Other than that, there is one called Plantin Leaf on main road which serves good south indian food.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
There is a Sagar at the beginning of Calangute beach. This is a complete Veg restaurant and pretty reasonable. One of my colleague was saying there are a few more Veg places on the Calangute beach road which are reasonable as well. I had stayed in Baga a while ago. I don't remember seeing any Veg restaurant in that stretch. Luckily, the place I stayed in 'Colonia Santa Maria' had a restaurant with good Veg food.
Aditya, i also stayed at CSM on my honeymoon. The resort is great but i didn't like the food they served.
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
E_Torque. I rented Maruti Zen
Let me see if I can find the number.

By the way what happened to your Pune / Malsejh trip planned earlier on the same days?
Thank you MS. Since i am on a budget, the zen would not be easy on my pocket. But just in case you find the number and i cant find a suitable bike rental near vasco, i will take a car. Pune is on hold but will have to wait until the last week of sept due to last minute change of plans of my friend i intended to visit. Will keep you posted for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I will try and get you some contact no. of a bike rental guy. Off season rates starts at 120 rs per day for Activa/Dio

As food is expensive in goa, please avoid eating at beach restaurants. Also pm your number .
Waseem bhai, just PM'd my number. Thanks much for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Get out of the rlw stn and turn left
GD, this info is comforting and will help! Thanks a ton!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Plantin Leaf on main road which serves good south indian food.
KKG, i will try the Plantin leaf. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Get out of the rlw stn and turn left at the crossing (farmacia teles is at the corner). On the right of this road after 30 40 meters is a shop that hires out bikes. he is quite reasonable.
have a great time.
GD, as per the directions you gave me, i am assuming it is somewhere near the circled spot in the below map. Right?
Budget vacation - Goa-vasco.jpg
Old 4th September 2010, 00:35   #15
BHPian

depends on what you are looking for. Calangute-baga is the where the "happening" scene is. Emphasis on the quotes. Anjuna is for the druggies. when i think Anjuna, i think paying 125 bucks for *ahem* a single "envelope of protection".

I personally prefer the relative quietude of Palolem: accomodation in shacks available for 100-150 bucks a night. And reliance datacard works on the beach: i did a skype con call with my partners from bang on the beach on Palolem on my Datacard: a personal first! On my last trip to Goa, i spent 8 of 12 days in Palokem, working for 4 hours a day, enjoying for the rest. And spent slightly less than 12k for all 12 days!

But yeah: palolem is not exactly a family type location. And indians aren't exactly the best behaved around beaches with some nudity....

Last edited by bblost : 21st October 2010 at 14:07. Reason: please refer forum rules. Esp rule #11. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks