Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 11:12   #16
BHPian

Agree with benz bala. Did a trip to ooty couple of weeks back and returned by Annur, Avinashi road. As already said, Chennai-Salem-Perumanallur (5-10 kms before Avinashi) is four laned and tolled. Once you reach Avinashi, proceed beyond the bus stand and take a right to Annur. This road would merge with the Sathy Coimbatore road from left. Once you cross the busstand a right here would lead you to Mettupalyam. Do try the Kotagiri road (recently broadened and relaid). It is slightly longer but you have the benefit of lesser traffic when compared to Coonoor road.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Agree with benz bala. Did a trip to ooty couple of weeks back and returned by Annur, Avinashi road. As already said, Chennai-Salem-Perumanallur (5-10 kms before Avinashi) is four laned and tolled. Once you reach Avinashi, proceed beyond the bus stand and take a right to Annur. This road would merge with the Sathy Coimbatore road from left. Once you cross the busstand a right here would lead you to Mettupalyam. Do try the Kotagiri road (recently broadened and relaid). It is slightly longer but you have the benefit of lesser traffic when compared to Coonoor road.
Thanks for the inputs, they are really very much valuable for first timer to ooty like me! Thanks a lot.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:04   #18
BHPian

Hey Guys thanks, Will be leaving tomorrowe morning by 4am for the trip, will update you with a good travelogue.
Old 2nd August 2011, 07:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Route Info & Road Conditions - Chennai to Coorg

With a long weekend looming large in our eyes in the month of August, we (myself and 4 of my pals) have planned for a trip to Coorg. The fascination that I have with Western Ghats makes sure that every time I get a long weekend or an extended vacation, I look at a destination in the Western Ghats first. Only if that doesn't work out, I try for another destination.

This time it all worked out and we have also booked accommodation (trying an homestay for the first time) at Siddapur. Since all of us have visited Coorg before, this is all about relaxing and spending time together in pleasant climate. So, we are all set for the trip now. Before we get going, I need an info on the route to be chosen and the current conditions of the road in the entire stretch.

Route Chosen: Chennai - Bangalore (NICE Road exit) - Mysore - Coorg

Query: After taking the NICE Road, do I have to drive till Mysore or is there an exit before entering Mysore? On one of my previous trips to Kabini, I faintly remember seeing an intersection just before Mysore which showed right towards 'Kabini' and left towards 'Coorg'. Should I take that exit or should I take the ORR Hunsur Road?

Road Condition: Now, for the toughest part, we guys have an option of taking a Tata Safari or a Honda Civic for this drive. The Safari is quite old (has already run 1.5L km) and is only good for a speed of 80 kph or thereabouts. So all of us are inclined to take the Civic for its quick and comfortable drive, but I am worried about the road conditions.

I know that Chennai to Bangalore is no problem at all whatsoever and Bangalore to Mysore is again not a big problem except for those numerous speed-breakers of which the Civic will inevitably scrape a few. All I want to know is the answer for my next question. "How are the road conditions from Mysore to Coorg?"

Remember, the Civic will be fully loaded with 5 people and luggage in boot. Are the roads sane enough to not pose any problem for us? I need all your help and suggestion, people.
Old 2nd August 2011, 08:13   #20
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route Info & Road Conditions - Chennai to Coorg

If you are taking the Civic, I would definitely recommend the Mysore - Hunsur route to Coorg, bypassing the city by taking the ORR. Roads are maintained very well in this Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar stretch and you shouldn't face a problem. Civic + 5 people and luggage will inevitably scrape the ground a few times on speedbreakers though Kushalnagar - Madikeri is where the Ghat section begins - there are a few occasional potholes on the hairpins but overall I give this stretch a 7/10 rating for road quality (as on May 2011).

Not sure about the quality of the alternate route now (bypassing mysore and turning at Srirangaptna) - perhaps others who have travelled along that route recently can elaborate

Last edited by KarthikK : 2nd August 2011 at 08:19.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

Constructions were on going (road expansion) on the ORR. Not sure about the status. Need to confirm.
If its bad, then it would be worth taking the route via Srirangapatna-Ranganthuttu which joins the Hunsur road about 10 km beyond ORR Hunsur road exit.
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
If you are taking the Civic, I would definitely recommend the Mysore - Hunsur route to Coorg, bypassing the city by taking the ORR. Roads are maintained very well in this Mysore - Hunsur - Kushalnagar stretch and you shouldn't face a problem. Civic + 5 people and luggage will inevitably scrape the ground a few times on speedbreakers though Kushalnagar - Madikeri is where the Ghat section begins - there are a few occasional potholes on the hairpins but overall I give this stretch a 7/10 rating for road quality (as on May 2011).

Not sure about the quality of the alternate route now (bypassing mysore and turning at Srirangaptna) - perhaps others who have travelled along that route recently can elaborate
Thanks for your elaborate reply KarthikK. Oh yes, I am already worried that the Civic is going to hit some speed-breakers on the way.

After seeing your message, now I remember seeing that intersection in Srirangapatna. The Kabini road was fairly good last year when I went there. No idea about the Coorg road though. From your reply, it seems that ORR - Hunsur Road is the way to go as the roads are better there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Constructions were on going (road expansion) on the ORR. Not sure about the status. Need to confirm.
If its bad, then it would be worth taking the route via Srirangapatna-Ranganthuttu which joins the Hunsur road about 10 km beyond ORR Hunsur road exit.
Thanks for your reply ampere. I was thinking that ORR - Hunsur Road stretch is the better maintained of the two options. Did someone here travelled in the Srirangapatna - Coorg stretch recently? If so, please let me know the status and condition of that road too.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:50   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Thanks for your reply ampere. I was thinking that ORR - Hunsur Road stretch is the better maintained of the two options. Did someone here travelled in the Srirangapatna - Coorg stretch recently? If so, please let me know the status and condition of that road too.
I remember in some thread, there were reports that road widening is on going on the Mysore ORR. Not sure of its status.
The road via Ranganthittu is not that big a detour.

Immediately after you cross Srirangapatna, you will see a tri-road the right turn is almost like a shapr U turn.

You need to take that road. There is a railway crossing.
You will go past Ranganthittu and also De-Paul international school.
Finally you hit the Hunsur road. A bit of rough patches here and there, but I think on the whole its OK.

Link to Bypass Mysore
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I remember in some thread, there were reports that road widening is on going on the Mysore ORR. Not sure of its status.
The road via Ranganthittu is not that big a detour.

Immediately after you cross Srirangapatna, you will see a tri-road the right turn is almost like a shapr U turn.

You need to take that road. There is a railway crossing.
You will go past Ranganthittu and also De-Paul international school.
Finally you hit the Hunsur road. A bit of rough patches here and there, but I think on the whole its OK.

Link to Bypass Mysore
The route via Ranganathittu is the one that takes you to KRS as well. For KRS you need to take a detour but for Hunsur you can continue. Its a shorter route when compared to ORR and looks more green as well. You can also get to see KRS if you want.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Chennai->Bangalore->Mysore->Madikeri would be the route i would recommend. While coming in Bangalore after Husur take the NICE road to Mysore to avoid most of Bangalore daily traffic madness.

The Mysore->Madikeri route was good last year and last someone known to me went last month and route was good, although in Civic with 5 folks you got to be careful. Last year i did not have any problems in my Baleno (Which also has low GC) except in the ghat section.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 2nd August 2011 at 18:36. Reason: Missed few words
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:36   #26
BHPian

The way I see it, you may not have a perfect solution either way.

Mysore ORR if still under construction, there'll be odd bumps and uneven roads.
Srirangapatna-Hunsur bye-passing Mysore is affected after the rains so there are a a few bad stretches plus a railway crossing.

The rest of the route is just perfect and you don't have to worry about anything. And if your stay is somewhere outside Madikeri, again those roads that lead to your resort/homestay will also be not in good shape. Please check with your place of stay about this.

Additional piece of information on eateries:

Chennai-Bangalore:
Shoolagiri(23km from Krishnagiri): Adyar Ananda Bhavan in BP; McDonalds, Sree Krishna Bhavan in HP; Kaamat Upachar in Reliance. Except Reliance, the other two are on the other side of the road.

Bangalore-Mysore:
There are plenty of roadside restaurants from McDonalds, CCD, Kaamat, etc all the way.

Mysore-Madikeri:
There is a restaurant/coffee shop as soon as you enter Hunsur on the bye-pass. It is called Cafe Coorg and makes for a fine stop midway for refreshment/eateries.

Happy travelling!

Last edited by luvurride : 2nd August 2011 at 20:48.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
The route via Ranganathittu is the one that takes you to KRS as well. For KRS you need to take a detour but for Hunsur you can continue. Its a shorter route when compared to ORR and looks more green as well. You can also get to see KRS if you want.
I swear that its much more greener than anything close by as I experienced it myself on my trip to Kabini last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The Mysore->Madikeri route was good last year and last someone known to me went last month and route was good, although in Civic with 5 folks you got to be careful. Last year i did not have any problems in my Baleno (Which also has low GC) except in the ghat section.
Based on all your comments, I have almost finalized on Mysore-ORR-Hunsur Road instead of the other route near Srirangapatna. It makes me feel good to know that the Baleno didn't have any problems there, a little glimmer of hope that the Civic will not have many too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
And if your stay is somewhere outside Madikeri, again those roads that lead to your resort/homestay will also be not in good shape. Please check with your place of stay about this.

Additional piece of information on eateries:

Chennai-Bangalore:
Shoolagiri(23km from Krishnagiri): Adyar Ananda Bhavan in BP; McDonalds, Sree Krishna Bhavan in HP; Kaamat Upachar in Reliance. Except Reliance, the other two are on the other side of the road.
Bangalore-Mysore:
There are plenty of roadside restaurants from McDonalds, CCD, Kaamat, etc all the way.
Mysore-Madikeri:
There is a restaurant/coffee shop as soon as you enter Hunsur on the bye-pass. It is called Cafe Coorg and makes for a fine stop midway for refreshment/eateries.
Thanks for that wonderful list of eateries luvuride. By the way, I understand that our place of stay is at Siddapur, some 20 odd kms from Madikeri. Hope the road conditions to and from and in and around Siddapur are good and don't give us too many surprises.
Old 2nd August 2011, 23:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Thanks for that wonderful list of eateries luvuride.
There also a CCD on Hunsur-Madikeri stretch (few KM from Cafe Coorg).

Are you staying in Orange County by any chance?. If so you can take left turn at Periyapatna (approx 15-18 KM from Hunsur). I am not sure it is the shortest route. But remember seeing their sign board during my drive few mobthd back.
Old 3rd August 2011, 00:45   #29
BHPian

Hi I did Chennai to Madikere via Bangalore and Mysore last October.

From Electronic City take the NICE road. If you frequent Hosur Road you would know that you should not take the new BETL flyover. Instead go below it and on your left you will get the exit to NICE Road. Once on NICE Road look out for the Mysore Exit which is about 20-25 kms. In between you would get the Bhannerghatta road exit and the Kanakpura Exit. Third Exit is the Mysore Road at Kengiri. There is a small deviation at the Bhannerghatta Road Exit where you have to go off the NICE Road and again join back after a short distance. Just follow the trucks also the Signages are prominent. Should not be an issue.

Once on Mysore road keep going till you reach the Junction of Columbia Hospital at the Entrance of Mysore. Here take right for the ORR which will lead you to Hunsur Road. This ORR is not fully completed. But it is manageable. Just go slow as the road is uneven at places. I went in the Cruze was fine.

Somewhere in the middle of ORR you need to take a right for Hunsur Road. From here till Madikere roads are very good. Few stretches are double carraigeway. Siddapura comes abt 30 kms before Madikere. You need to exit the road on your left to Siddapura. I have not been to Siddapura so cannot comment on the road conditions leading up to Siddapura. But should not be a problem I presume roads will be fine as there is Orange County Resort located.

In case you are planning to enter Bangalore and then take the Mysore Road I still suggest you come back on Hosur Road and Take NICE Road to Mysore as there is the Elevated Highway Construction going on in the Mysore Road when you come from Bangalore City Market. It's a total chaos. Last week I had gone to Wayanad via Bangalore and Mysore. Got stuck in the traffic hence in the return took the NICE Road.

Once I did Coorg-Chennai in about 10 hours with stops for food.

Happy Journey.
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Are you staying in Orange County by any chance?
No, I am not. As I had said earlier, we have chosen a homestay this time due to the non-availability of rooms/cottages in many other resorts. Orange County would turn up pretty expensive. I know because I stayed there last year in Kabini. But, I have to admit that the resort, the ambience, the cottages and everything about it was pretty wonderful. Don't tempt me again please .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Hi I did Chennai to Madikere via Bangalore and Mysore last October.
Once on Mysore road keep going till you reach the Junction of Columbia Hospital at the Entrance of Mysore. Here take right for the ORR which will lead you to Hunsur Road. This ORR is not fully completed. But it is manageable. Just go slow as the road is uneven at places. I went in the Cruze was fine.
Thanks for those details sameer sultan. I have finalized the route as Chennai - Electronics City - NICE Road - Mysore - ORR - Hunsur - Siddapur. I will watch out for those under-construction stretches in NICE Road and ORR. Hope, my Civic also comes unscathed like your Cruze.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks