Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:04   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route Info & Road Conditions - Chennai to Coorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Thanks for those details sameer sultan. I have finalized the route as Chennai - Electronics City - NICE Road - Mysore - ORR - Hunsur - Siddapur. I will watch out for those under-construction stretches in NICE Road and ORR. Hope, my Civic also comes unscathed like your Cruze.
Update from @nfs on Mysore ORR

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2454779

This is the same road you would be taking.
Just that you wont continue all the way to Nangangud exit, but will get out of from Hunsur road exit.

But the 4L work you will still encounter, as its on the Infosys/KRS part of the ORR section, which is common and comes first.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st December 2014 at 07:22. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 8th April 2014, 16:09   #32
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Coorg - Mysore - Chennai

Hello Team - Could any one who has travelled from Chennai to Coorg update the latest status of this route and share some experience ? Planning a trip in May and appreciate your inputs
Old 8th April 2014, 17:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hello Team - Could any one who has travelled from Chennai to Coorg update the latest status of this route and share some experience ? Planning a trip in May and appreciate your inputs
Can you also mention where is the destination : North or South Coorg.
On second thoughts, whether north or south, since you are driving from Chennai, the standard route would be :

Chennai-Bangalore(NICE)-Mysore Road - Mysore-Hunsur-Periyapatna-(Virajpet/Madikeri etc)

And its a good road all the way. Time the start well so as to cross the dreaded Hosur-Banglore (Electronic City)/NICE section before the morning traffic builds up.
Old 8th April 2014, 17:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Super good roads all the way. Did Madikeri twice last month. Chennai-Bangalore of course has loads of updates from another thread and is good too.

The only small pain area is the Mysore Ring road where less than 100-200 meters becomes messy at deviations which greets you all of a sudden. Plus, Hunsur road all the way till Ilwala junction, you expect misc traffic in case you pass this in the mornings (say 9-10am) or evening (5-8pm) with a few traffic signals as well.

Watch out for speed breakers at certain locations which appear as soon as you reach the edge of an incline.

Anticipate that if its a super long fast stretch, there is likely to be a speed-breaker to arrest your speeds!

Otherwise, beautiful, 2 lane roads to drive.
Old 29th November 2014, 12:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
No, I am not. As I had said earlier, we have chosen ...ORR. Hope, my Civic also comes unscathed like your Cruze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Hi I did Chennai to Madikere via Bangalore and Mysore last October.
Once I did Coorg-Chennai in about 10 hours with stops for food.

Happy Journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
But remember seeing their sign board during my drive few mobthd back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
so get to see KRS if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You need to take that road. There is a railway crossing.
You will go past Ranganthittu and also De-Paul international school.
Finally you hit the Hunsur road. A bit of rough patches here and there, but I think on the whole its OK.

Link to Bypass Mysore
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Hey Guys thanks, Will be leaving tomorrowe morning by 4am for the trip, will update you with a good travelogue.
Sorry for the bulk quote:
Folks, need your inputs on additional lakes/nice places to see for year end vacation plan. I have kept limited places to see per day so that the wife and kid don't get tired sitting in the car. The kid likes animals, water and doesn't mind walking. What else would u recommend?

Places to stay:
Madikeri (2 nights) – 25-27
● 25th – 11 hour drive to get there.
● 26
– Dubare (30km)
– Abbey falls (8km)
– Raja’s seat for sunset (city)
● 27
– Local madikeri fort
– One more falls if you are interested
– Relaxing around resort/ lake
● 28:
– Talacauvery (80Km)
– Pushpagiri trek
28th night somewhere else for nagarhole visit (90km), enroute irrupu waterfall
● 29:
● Nagarahole full day. Should we target stopping over at KRS in the evening before we reach Mysore for the night?
Mysore 29 night
● Mysore local on 30th morning, leave by 2pm, Chennai by 8-9pm.
Old 30th November 2014, 19:30   #36
Team-BHP Support

Talakaveri isn't 80kms from Madikeri unless you were counting to and fro.

There is one ancient temple in Bhagmandala, and you can see Kaveri flowing just 10ft wide.

Pushpagiri Trek with an infant? Not sure what you are thinking. You will need a 4x4 even to approach the entrance of the hill. This thread (Somwarpet OTR 2010: Escape to Nature) will give the details on pushpagiri entrance and mallali falls.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 22:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Talakaveri isn't 80kms from Madikeri unless you were counting to and fro.

There is one ancient temple in Bhagmandala, and you can see Kaveri flowing just 10ft wide.

Pushpagiri Trek with an infant? Not sure what you are thinking. You will need a 4x4 even to approach the entrance of the hill. This thread (Somwarpet OTR 2010: Escape to Nature) will give the details on pushpagiri entrance and mallali falls.
Thanks boss.

This is useful. it does look like beautiful terrain. let me plan that part better.

Any suggestions on acco?

Pushpagiri with a 3.5 year old is too tough eh? He's quite okay with long walks with his mom (we recently did a cave walk six months back that had a few hundred steps over about two hours - he walked all the way!).
Old 1st December 2014, 13:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Places to stay:
Madikeri (2 nights) – 25-27
● 25th – 11 hour drive to get there.
● 26
– Dubare (30km)
– Abbey falls (8km)
– Raja’s seat for sunset (city)
● 27
– Local madikeri fort
– One more falls if you are interested
– Relaxing around resort/ lake
● 28:
– Talacauvery (80Km)
– Pushpagiri trek
28th night somewhere else for nagarhole visit (90km), enroute irrupu waterfall
● 29:
● Nagarahole full day. Should we target stopping over at KRS in the evening before we reach Mysore for the night?
Mysore 29 night
● Mysore local on 30th morning, leave by 2pm, Chennai by 8-9pm.

Since you have not finalized your accommodation, I will assume you will be staying in Madikeri. Most homestays/resort are located outside Madikeri and you can fine tune your plan after booking accommodation.

26th -

Instead of Dubare, I would suggest you take a trip to Mandalpatti. This is a very scenic spot for which you will have to hire a jeep. You can cover this and Abbey Falls in a day and then head back to the city to watch sunset at Raja's Seat.

27th - You can visit Dubare this day. Come back and relax. The local Madikeri fort houses some govt offices and there is not much to see. You can visit Gaddige, the tombs of the local rulers if time permits. You can have a good view of Madikeri from there.

OR

Alternatively, you can skip Dubare and visit Mallalli falls instead. This will almost take a whole day.

28th - Leave early and reach Talakaveri. From Talakaveri, head directly to Nagarhole/Iruppu falls because you will need atleast 4 hours from Talakaveri to Iruppu. Visit Iruppu and retire for the night in a homestay.

29th - Nagarhole safari starts at 7am and then again at 3.30 pm. You can head to Mysore via Hunsur after finishing the safaris. By the time you finish the second safari and head to Mysore, it will be dark and there will be nothing to see at KRS. However, if you skip the afternoon safari, you can visit the gardens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I agree with Samurai. Pushpagiri trek is quite strenous and will be difficult especially with a small kid. That is a whole other trip altogether.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 1st December 2014 at 14:10. Reason: Added comment
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 21:43   #39
BHPian

Noticed this thread while searching for the route from Chennai to Mysore. Am travelling on Saturday the 30th Jan'16, starting from Chennai by 3pm.

1) Is "Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore Electronic City - Nice Road - Mandya (SH17)-Mysore" the best route?

2) Reaching Electronic city by 8.30pm, how the traffic flow will be till Mysore? How much time would it take to reach Mysore?

Please can anyone give an idea.
Old 25th January 2016, 22:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaj* View Post
Noticed this thread while searching for the route from Chennai to Mysore. Am travelling on Saturday the 30th Jan'16, starting from Chennai by 3pm.

1) Is "Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore Electronic City - Nice Road - Mandya (SH17)-Mysore" the best route?

2) Reaching Electronic city by 8.30pm, how the traffic flow will be till Mysore? How much time would it take to reach Mysore?

Please can anyone give an idea.
1. Yes, this is the right route. You need to get on to the service road to get on to NICE Road. So watch out for the directions once you cross Electronic City. I think you need to get on to the service road at the first signal after you pass electronic city.

2. Saturday night towards Mysore, flow should be ok. There will be reasonably good amount of traffic-As it is the case on Mysore Road at most times. I would say ~3 hours of driving from Electronic City to Mysore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 21:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
2. Saturday night towards Mysore, flow should be ok. There will be reasonably good amount of traffic-As it is the case on Mysore Road at most times. I would say ~3 hours of driving from Electronic City to Mysore.
Thank you Rajeevraj. Can you please help with two more questions.
My friend joins me on Sunday. He would reach Electronic city Bangalore by 10.30am on Sunday. Will the traffic be okay at that hour to reach mysore in 3 hours?

On Tuesday by 9am we start from Mysore to Bangalore via Somnathpura temple. Which route is better with good tarmac & lesser traffic?

Somnathpura-Malavalli-Madduru Rd and NH275 to Bangalore or
Somnathpura-Malavalli-Kanakapura NH209-Balgalore?
Old 27th January 2016, 22:44   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaj* View Post
My friend joins me on Sunday. He would reach Electronic city Bangalore by 10.30am on Sunday. Will the traffic be okay at that hour to reach mysore in 3 hours?

On Tuesday by 9am we start from Mysore to Bangalore via Somnathpura temple. Which route is better with good tarmac & lesser traffic?

Somnathpura-Malavalli-Madduru Rd and NH275 to Bangalore or
Somnathpura-Malavalli-Kanakapura NH209-Balgalore?
Yes, Sunday morning 10.30 towards Mysore should not be too crowded, From Electronic City 2.30-3 hours should be more than enough.

Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore is in good condition. It is a 2 lane road and traffic will be quite less (will pick up post Kanakpura). So it will be a good drive.

As per the below post from Dec 31st 2015, Malavalli-Maddur is not good. SO better stick to the Kanakpura route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Did the 1 day trip to Talakadu in the last week of Dec 2015.

Route followed:
Regular BLR-Mysore highway till Maddur -> Malavalli -> Talakadu

The stretch between Maddur and Malavalli has all kinds of road conditions.
Just after you exit the highway at Maddur, the road is bumpy, with potholes having been recently filled with uneven dollops of tar.
Then it deteriorates to the point of being a mud road, with bi-directional traffic being pushed into one lane, due to ongoing road work on the adjacent lane.
There are some stretches where road widening has been completed and these can be covered very quickly.
In other stretches, one half of the road has been completed, while work on the other half is ongoing and bi-directional traffic gets onto this single completed lane.
In many places, there is almost a 1 foot difference in height between adjacent lanes of the road (one being the completed lane and the other being the one where work is ongoing)
IMO, it is best to avoid night driving on this stretch due to the current road condition.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks