Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 20:09   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Coorg - Mysore - Chennai

Hi ALL,

Please suggest me map for this trip, i know there are few travelogues already written but i dont have much time, i will just follow blindly the best route you people will give me.

1. Will i be able to reach coorg from chennai in 1 day starting by 4am in morning?

2. Best route from chennai to coorg? (kms and approx hrs)

3. Coming back i may halt in mysore for a while, does mysore falls between chennai to coorg route?

4. Good accomodation details in coorg and mysore?

5. Hows climate of coorg, rains etc?

6. Places to visit in coorg?

PLAN: Sept 9th: Early morning dep to coorg, reach late evening.
10th coorg
11th coorg
12 mysore halt/no halt -> chennai.

ONLY FEW MORE DAYS LEFT, PLEASE HELP, Car is Chevy Optra 1,6, family size 4.
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

To reach Coorg in a day is possible, but really hectic. Only way to do it is to start real-real early from Chennai. Say by about 3AM from Chennai so that you can reach Bangalore by 9AM.

Then add another 6 hours to reach Coorg by after noon. No other times possible. Else, it would be tiring.

- Take Nice road. (Immediately after E-City. Stay on the service. Dont take the tolled elevated road. Take Mysore Exit.

- Drive till Mysore. Take the ORR and the Mysore ORR signal (take left). Get on to Hubsur road.

Its then straight forward from Hunsur to Kushalnagar Madekeri.

Hotels/Homestays; Depends on what you want. That also defines whether you end in North or South Coorg.
If north, then you drive towards Kushalnagar from Hunsur. If south you drive to Virajpet/Kakkabe from Hunsur.
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:47   #3
BANNED

Krish82 you can do the coorg in a day

Take banglore-mysore-coorg ,my brother took that route few years back and it was in chevvy Spark.

I also travelled till nagarhole sometime in dec 2009 so i know that the roads are good ,no problem.

Probably guys from bangy could help you with intricate details from bangalore to coorg
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well reach bangalore and onwards take the mysore road.

As explained take hunsur - kushalnagar for n coorg else take hunsur - nagarhole- kutta for south coorg
Old 4th September 2010, 07:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
1. Will i be able to reach coorg from chennai in 1 day starting by 4am in morning?
Very much possible; I did this trip in Apr 2010. I'll recollect from my memory on the timings on sane driving
Chennai - Bangalore - 6 hours
Bangalore - Mysore - 3 hours
Mysore - Madikeri - 3 hours

Pls note that the above timings are with sane driving skills & sufficient break. So if you start by 4 AM you can reach Madikeri by 4 PM

Quote:
2. Best route from chennai to coorg? (kms and approx hrs)
As everyone has mentioned, Chennai-Bangalore (NICE road & don't get into city)-Mysore-Madikeri

Quote:
3. Coming back i may halt in mysore for a while, does mysore falls between chennai to coorg route?
Yes it does

Quote:
4. Good accomodation details in coorg and mysore?
For Coorg, you can PM one of our member princezahed as he has a homestay at Coorg; though I don't have personal experience staying, there're good reviews about our members staying there.

In Mysore we stayed here, incidentally this also belongs to one of our member's family. We'd a decent deal & the rooms were very good.

Quote:
5. Hows climate of coorg, rains etc?
Not sure how it is now, during April, it was ok.

Quote:
6. Places to visit in coorg?
To visit any place, Madikeri becomes the epic center; Check out this could be useful for you & let me know if you need any more help.

Quote:
PLAN: Sept 9th: Early morning dep to coorg, reach late evening.
10th coorg
11th coorg
12 mysore halt/no halt -> chennai.
We too took about 5 days, started on April 14 from Chennai & reached back on April 18; however, we missed out several places on sight seeing. Just to name a few, Mysore palace, Talacauvery, Abbey falls, Harangi dam, Igguthappa Temple, Nalakunadu Palace, Bhagamandala, Gaddige, Nagarahole. So I would suggest you to extend your holidays, if possible or choose selective places for sight seeing.

Quote:
Car is Chevy Optra 1,6, family size 4.
No issues; the car can do it easily.
Old 4th September 2010, 09:23   #6
BHPian

Thanks a ton, warming off for the trip now. Just need to book accomodations. But will there be board signs for taking nice road and all, i will be a complete newbie @ driving in bangalore limits, hence i will not be knowing when Ecity ends and Nice road begins.
Old 4th September 2010, 09:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a ton, warming off for the trip now. Just need to book accomodations. But will there be board signs for taking nice road and all, i will be a complete newbie @ driving in bangalore limits, hence i will not be knowing when Ecity ends and Nice road begins.
There is nothing like E-City road ending and NICE road beginning.

Hosur to Bangalore is NH7. Once you touch E-city, you will also see an elevated road along with the norm NH7.
(As obvious elevated road goes above in parallel to NH7). There will be toll booths mounted for Elevated road.
You can see them by the lights. Do not take to the toll both. Keep to the left most of NH7, which is the service road
(The main road is barricaded, stay on to the other side.).

Also note dont actually turn left. It would take you inside E-City campus!

Within 1.5-2 km you would see a sign for NICE road on the left. Get on this road and you are on the NICE road.

Just for info at this stage, you should see three stacks of road.
- Lower berth : NH7
- Middle Berth - NICE (perpendicular to the other two).
- Upper Berth : Bangalore elevated toll road
Old 4th September 2010, 10:03   #8
BHPian

hi
1. take the kaveri express to mysore from chennai. you will reach mysore station at 6am.
2. call BIT ( 0821-233362) for taxi to coorg.
3. enjoy the coorg peacefully.
4. comeback ny volvo to mysore. stay in mysore for a day or two.
5. take the same train back.
now the drive
1. the problem with very early morning drive ( 3 -5 am) is that we kind of get a little tired with the drive, which could be fatal. to start at 3 or 4 am, we need to get up one hour early. since we do not do this regularly, it will be quite diffcult to do such trips. esp roads with high traffic.
2. blr mysore road needs extra care, and now a days even mysore coorg road is witnessing almost one accident every single day.
3. else take a break in blr. start early and reach coorg by noon.
let driving be a pleasureful experience.
lastly coorg is having heavy rains.
Old 4th September 2010, 10:16   #9
BHPian

+1 to nutmello. I had done same way ^^.

The drive up to Coorg is not your typical ghat road. Also, lot of driving around Coorg to see the different places like Nisargdhama, the dam, tibetian monastry, dubare etc...Take the train and a taxi, its a lot relaxing .

I had interacted with a guy called Viju Kushalappa in Coorg. He runs a spices shop and has contacts with locals who give houses/estates etc as homestays. PM me if you need his number (not sure if its still active, I had gone to Coorg 2 yrs back).
Old 4th September 2010, 18:28   #10
BHPian

Thank you very much everyone. Yes Train is definetly better option, but there is also something more better to drive down in your own car. If i would have always taken train and bus, i wouldnt have been a member of Team-bhp.. I am kidding. Thing is, getting tickets from south india in such a short notice is certianly not possible. I have done munnar to chennai in 1 day 12 hrs. Let me see if i can break up in mysore and then travel the next day, but that break up plan was for the returning trip.
Old 5th September 2010, 11:58   #11
BHPian

Hey, Plan is changed, bcos i couldnt get good accomodation in coorg,i am planning to drive to ooty.
So please suggest
Chennai to ooty by road, kms and time taken. I will be doing it in 1 day. Thanks
Old 5th September 2010, 14:42   #12
BHPian

Try this one

chennai-sriperambudur-vellore-krishnagiri-salem-avinashi-annur-mettupalayam-ooty

the roads are 4laned till avinashi and from there the state highways start which are really good too.
It should be around 500 odd kms from chennai to ooty.
hope this information is useful
plan atleast min a couple of nights stay in ooty. There are a lot of places to be seen and enjoyed
Old 5th September 2010, 16:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzbala View Post
chennai-sriperambudur-vellore-krishnagiri-salem-avinashi-annur-mettupalayam-ooty

the roads are 4laned till avinashi and from there the state highways start which are really good too.
It should be around 500 odd kms from chennai to ooty.
hope this information is useful
plan atleast min a couple of nights stay in ooty. There are a lot of places to be seen and enjoyed
Thank you, planning to start atleast by 5am, can anyone give idea's, who has recently been to ooty by road.
Old 5th September 2010, 17:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you, planning to start atleast by 5am, can anyone give idea's, who has recently been to ooty by road.
Till Avinashi, no updates needed. Its 4L and standard. Avinashi to Metupallayam-Ooty is where you will need updates.
Its heavy traffic from Mettupalayam for suer till Ooty.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:58   #15
BHPian

Dont worry!!! be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Till Avinashi, no updates needed. Its 4L and standard. Avinashi to Metupallayam-Ooty is where you will need updates.
Its heavy traffic from Mettupalayam for suer till Ooty.
You need not worry about the road conditions from avinashi cos though they are SH, it really well maintained and dont forget to turn right after avinashi bustand towards annur.....on reaching annur, you would see the road splitting into 2 directions, take the right towards mettupalayam and go straight to ooty from there.
The traffic shouldnt be more considering that this is not a holiday season.
drive safely and enjoy

Most Viewed