Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 09:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Blr-Shimoga-Jog Falls-Kollur-Udipi-D'sthala-Blr

Hi

What would be the best way to do this circuit:

Blr-Jog Falls-Kollur-Ududpi-Dharmasthala-Blore.

*Is it better to stay at Shimoga and do Jog as a day trip?

*Is it possible to do Shimoga- Kollur darshan and reach Udupi for the night stay?
*Is there a route which can be done which will allow for Dharmasthala to be covered enroute to Blore?Or is it better to stay in Mangalore and do Dharmasthala as a day trip and then leave back to blr next day?
*In today's circumstance which is the reccomended route for M'lore-BLR.I know there is a thread running for this,but am not able to browse it due to lack of sufficient bandwidth:((i am on a dialup at the moment)so appreciate any input here.thanx

*What are the reccomended places to stay @ Udupi,mangalore(in the range of 1k-2k)
Old 8th September 2010, 09:39   #2
BHPian

Hi Renjit,

May not be able answer but might be helpful with some info. Last week I had travelled Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Hosanagara-Kollur (11 hrs) and back via UDUPI (for drshan) -Mangalore-Bangalore (13 hrs) . After the onward journey I thought I would never take that route again due to heavy rains and narrow roads after Shimoga but Mangalore -Bangalroe road turned out to be a night mare . 1 & 2 gears for almost 1.5 hrs - no raods at all. I recalled those days 15 years back when i used to go to Sabarimala. Avoid that route. Have heard from taxi guys about kollur-kuthirmug-belur-hasan-bangalore which is the best route nw .

Depends a lot on the car you have , if its an MPV/SUV no issues. I have a verna , had a tough time .

if you want to spend time at Dharmasthala and Jog , better plan for 3 days trip. First day if you start early at 5 you can reach temple by 5-6 in the evening via Shimoga and take the pooja tickets in the evening , do darshan next day and travel north to jog falls come back and stay at a convenient place for the day, travel down south to dharmasthala next day and all the way back to bangalore . Please plan for sufficeient time for travel in the ghats (which will be more than 60%) of your time , roads are very bad in terms of gutters and being narrow plus heavy rains . be careful when u r driving.

google out team bhp kollur/mangalore you will get threads on the route . Pm HV kumar , he is a master on routes , can help you.

btb kollur does not have a fuel pump, do not fill fuel from remote pumps, fill at major places like m angalore shimoga ...

if you need any further info let me know

Regards
Old 8th September 2010, 09:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

How good was the road from jog to honnavara? Was it unmotorably bad or just a few potholes? I'm wondering whether to go to honnavara or go via siddapur-kumta onwards to goa.
Old 8th September 2010, 09:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
How good was the road from jog to honnavara? Was it unmotorably bad or just a few potholes? I'm wondering whether to go to honnavara or go via siddapur-kumta onwards to goa.
Check the Bangalore-Goa thread. Many updates are available there.
Old 8th September 2010, 09:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Blr-Jog Falls-Kollur-Ududpi-Dharmasthala-Blore.

*Is it better to stay at Shimoga and do Jog as a day trip?

*Is it possible to do Shimoga- Kollur darshan and reach Udupi for the night stay?
*Is there a route which can be done which will allow for Dharmasthala to be covered enroute to Blore?Or is it better to stay in Mangalore and do Dharmasthala as a day trip and then leave back to blr next day?
*In today's circumstance which is the reccomended route for M'lore-BLR.

*What are the reccomended places to stay @ Udupi,mangalore(in the range of 1k-2k)
Bangalore-Jog Falls:
The direct route is NH206 from Tumkur via Tiptur, Arsikere, Tarikere, Shimoga and Sagar. However, the roads between Tiptur and Tarikere appear to be perpetually bad. Alternative route - longer, of course - would be to go via Hassan, Belur, Chickmagalur to Tarikere, good roads all along.

You can reach Jog Falls, see it and return to Shimoga for the night's stay. Near Jog, there is a resort. Shimoga has Hotel Jewel Rock. From Jog to Shimoga is hardly 2 hours drive.

Shimoga-Kollur:
The direct route is via Tirthahalli and Nagara to Kollur. Currently, that road is in terrible condition. In case you are coming from Jog, you can go to Kollur 2 ways, either come down on the Shimoga road till Ananthapura (after Sagar) and come via Huncha/Ribbonpet to join the Kollur road at Nagara, or else go down to Honavar and come on NH17 to Baindur. Currently, all options have bad roads.

The longer option would be to continue on NH13 from Shimoga via Tirthahalli and go via Agumbe and Hebri to Kollur.

Yes, you can easily do the Kollur darshan and come to Udupi, which is just 1.50 hours from Kollur. Ideally, you should leave Shimoga as early as possible since the Kollur temple closes in the morning by 1130-1200.

If you have to stay in Kollur area, best is to stay at Hotel Sharon in Kundapura. In Udupi, I like the Hotel Kediyoor which is great VFM, great location near the temple, has ample car parking and good food.

Udupi-Dharmasatala-Bangalore
The road from Udupi to Bangalore can also be done through Dharmastala, via Karakala and Ujire. Your ultimate arrival in Bangalore via Sakleshpura (or Charmadi) and Hassan depends on time taken for darshan. Budget for 2-3 hours drive from Udupi to Dharmastala.

In today's circumstances, the best route from Mlr-Blr is to go via Udupi, Karkala, Charmadi, Mudigere and Chickmagalur to Bangalore.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Kollur - Jog Falls - Bangalore

Dear all,
On Jan 1st planning for a 3 day trip.
1. Bangalore - Horanadu - Sringeri - Udupi.
2. Udupi - Kollur - Jog falls - Bangalore.

I have planned till Kollur and got struck from there.
Can you guide me how to reach Jog falls from Kollur?
How about route from Jog back to Bangalore.

I sincerely appreciate your time and effort to help.

Thanks,
Chandra

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th December 2010 at 12:53. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread. Thanks
Old 30th December 2010, 13:14   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kollur - Jog Falls - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras View Post
Dear all,
On Jan 1st planning for a 3 day trip.
1. Bangalore - Horanadu - Sringeri - Udupi.
2. Udupi - Kollur - Jog falls - Bangalore.

I have planned till Kollur and got struck from there.
Can you guide me how to reach Jog falls from Kollur?
How about route from Jog back to Bangalore.

I sincerely appreciate your time and effort to help.

Thanks,
Chandra
1. 3 days is tough. Because it would depend on the temple timings also.

2. Kollur-Jog: I am not sure I think there is a direct road but not aware of its conditions. I have read bike logs of this route.
EDIT: I think this road goes via the Linganamakki dam. Can some one please confirm this? (Distance should be about 100Km)

3. Jog-Blr : Straight foward on to NH206 till Tumkur. And then back home via NH4.

Last edited by ampere : 30th December 2010 at 13:22.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:59   #8
BHPian

Re: Blr-Shimoga-Jog Falls-Kollur-Udipi-D'sthala-Blr

Thanks Amp,
Since I start early by 4-5 am and I live close to BEL Circle, i think i will be safe from crowding traffic.
Thanks for the route from Jog - Blr. Now i need to figure out only one leg (Kollur to Jog). I did not thought abt jog falls till now, but since it's jus 80-90 kms away, planning to give a shot. Also, is it possible to take a dip in Jog falls (Sorry I'm stupid)
Old 31st December 2010, 21:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Firstly three days is tough. with ampere.

It will be good to plan like this

Day 1 - Bangalore - Horanadu - Sringeri. Stay in Sringeri. There are good options for stay here.
Day 2 - Sringeri - Udupi via Hebri on Agumbe Ghat and onwards to Kollur. Stay at Kollur.
Day 3 - Kollur to Sigandur, Visit Sigandur Chowdeshwari temple, Take launch over Linganamakki back waters at Sigandur - can take your vehicle in that - and reach Sagar and onwards to Jog falls. After seeing Jog falls, you have an option to drive back to Bangalore. But i would advise against as it will be a long drive spreading late in the evening. Stay put at homestay close to Jog. Check out Muthuga (Google for details).
Day 4 - Leave for Bangalore after breakfast and reach bangalore comfortably. You can visit Gudavi bird sanctuary near Soraba enroute.
Old 31st December 2010, 21:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ranjit,

I agree with HVK. Though the Birur - Tarikere stretch had been repaired, it has developed pot holes of late - i am driving to Shimoga next week from Bangalore and hope for the best.

Some suggestions.

a) You can stay at a home stay near jog falls called Muthuga. Google for details. Thus you can avoid coming back to Shimoga.

b) From Jog to Kollur you have two options - i) Through launch over backwaters to Sigandur and the onwards to Kollur which is shorter ii) Via Honnavar to Kollur which is longer. I would recommed option 1.

c) Come to Bangalore from Dharmastala via Ujire and Charmadi as the Shiradi stretch continues to be bad. Once you reach Mudigere, take the road via Gendehalli which is in better shape than Gonibeedu.
Old 1st January 2011, 07:59   #11
Team-BHP Support

Udupi to Kollur road via Kundapur is in a good condition. Should be no issues while driving.
Old 1st January 2011, 16:50   #12
BHPian

Agree with Ampere, Udupi ~Kolur via Kundapur on NH17 is better route. Only hint, after Kundapur (crossing two bridges), don't take a right turn (which is also marked as Kolur 35km), countinue 2 km further in NH17, and take a right here.

First route has 2 to 3 km potholed road, which is very narrow. The second one is best! I travelled in this road yesterday (till kundapur)!

Just a caustion on NH17, 4 laning has began between kundapur and Udupi. Due to heavy traffic in thisroad you might be held up behind the slower vehicle.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:43   #13
BHPian

Thanks Fauji, Amp & Raghu. I'm all set to leave in few hours from now.
Old 10th January 2011, 15:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Agree with Ampere, Udupi ~Kolur via Kundapur on NH17 is better route. Only hint, after Kundapur (crossing two bridges), don't take a right turn (which is also marked as Kolur 35km), countinue 2 km further in NH17, and take a right here.

First route has 2 to 3 km potholed road, which is very narrow. The second one is best! I travelled in this road yesterday (till kundapur)!

Just a caustion on NH17, 4 laning has began between kundapur and Udupi. Due to heavy traffic in thisroad you might be held up behind the slower vehicle.
+1 to that.The first one is called as Tallur cross.

The second one is called Hemmadi cross.Both these right turns lead to Kollur eventually.The Hemmadi route is one of the best.Its much shorter as well.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:20   #15
BHPian

I am planning to visit Jog Falls on 11th August. Is it a good time to be there? Also planning go ahead to Mukrudeshwar via SH55. Any info on this road would be appreciated. Would it be safe to travel on SH55 during rainy season?

Last edited by recker_us : 23rd June 2012 at 10:21. Reason: additonal question

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks