Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2010, 18:27   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Hi Guys,

I have plans to visit Bhubaneswar via this route Bangalore-Vijayawada-Vizag-Bhubaneswar and back. Need some information on hotels/road conditions enroute.
Pre - conditions : - Will be only doing day time driving. And am a single driver and with family (wifey & a year old kid)
  • What is the best route to get to NH5 from Bangalore.
  • Best hotels to stay with family preferably on the NH at vijayawada/vizag or enroute.
  • Is bangalore to vijayawada possible in one day of day time driving or is it not advisable and too much to ask for.
  • What about vijayawada to Orissa border/Berhampur can it be done in one day with only daytime driving, how are road conditions there.
Old 4th October 2010, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Best Route to NH5:

Bangalore-Tirupati-Srikalahasti-NH5 @ Nayudupeta-Nellore-Ongole-Guntur-V'wada-Vizag-BBSR.NH5 is in very good condition at the moment.Negotiating V'wada traffic might take some time,otherwise no problems.An early morning start from Blore around 330-4am will mean that you would reach NH5 by 9am.

From Nayudupeta to Vijayawada is around 4-5hours of drive,which means you would reach Vijayawada by 2-3pm.

V'wada to Vizag would take you around 6-7hours.

Ideally you could drive till Rajahmundry around 3-4hours hours from V'wada and break for the day,

Hotels:

Anand Regency (www.hotelanandregency.com), Hotel River Bay(www.hotelriverbay.co.in) are some of the better hotels in Rajahmundry.

At V'wada Quality Inn DV Manor is a good place,so is Hotel Ilapuram.The Gateway is also a very good place,the other luxury hotel being Fortune Murali Park.All are on MG Road,just a few meters off the NH5.

BLR-VJA is easily possible in a day with an early morning departure from BLR.Just be careful of stray cattle on NH5 near Ongole/Nellore.This stretch is notorious for cattle-hits.

VJA to B'pur is going to be a very long drive considering that road stretches near AOB(Andhra Orissa Border)traditionally break up during monsoons,however I do not have current conditions,others might have more inputs.

R'mundry to Behrampur can easily be done,Vizag to BBSR can also easily be done,R'mundry-BBSR can also be done with a bit of aggressive driving.

If you can stretch till Vizag on day 1,day 2 should be relatively easy for you.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:12   #3
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have plans to visit Bhubaneswar via this route Bangalore-Vijayawada-Vizag-Bhubaneswar and back. Need some information on hotels/road conditions enroute.
Pre - conditions : - Will be only doing day time driving. And am a single driver and with family (wifey & a year old kid)
  • What is the best route to get to NH5 from Bangalore.
  • Best hotels to stay with family preferably on the NH at vijayawada/vizag or enroute.
  • Is bangalore to vijayawada possible in one day of day time driving or is it not advisable and too much to ask for.
  • What about vijayawada to Orissa border/Berhampur can it be done in one day with only daytime driving, how are road conditions there.
Bangalore -viziawada can be done easily in a day ( dawn to dusk) 650 Km
Bangalore - tirupati max 5 hours
Tirupati to viziawada max 8 hours via naidupet.

Viziawada - vizag max 7 hours.
Vizag - ichhapur ( AP border ) max 5 hours.
Ichhapur -- berhampur depends upon the border traffic jams

If you can start at 5 AM you can easily reach either Eluru/rajamundry by 8 -9 PM. both the places you can get decent accommodation. this way one has to drive less on second day when you will be encountering some bad roads in orissa

From eluru/rajamundry it is possible to reach Bhubaneswar by night

Eleru - bhubaneswar is 720 Km
Rajamundry to bhubaneswar is 620 km

You have to bypass Vizag from Anakapalle ( it is two lane road ) but in good condition .
otherwise you can go through the city on NH5 which 4 laned. not much of jams
Old 5th October 2010, 22:09   #4
BHPian

Thanks ranjitp1 & rkg, that was very informative.
I really appreciate your responses.
Old 25th October 2010, 18:10   #5
BHPian

Have few more queries.

Hi Guys,
Have few more queries. I have never done a long trip before in India so need as much information as possible. Plan to do BLR to Berhampur and later to Bbsr.
  • How is the stretch Bangalore to Chitoor (NH4) is it 4 laned already?
  • How are road conditions from chitoor-->Tirupati-->Nayadupeta, what highway is this is it laned or just single road with incoming traffic?
  • Are there any good number of rest areas where you can get to use toilets/restaurants on NH4 & NH5 ?(will be travelling with wife & a small baby). Any suggestions for good restaurants on NH5?
  • By the way are there any signs on NH5 displaying kms to the next rest area/petrol pump. Can I get it somewhere on the internet.NHAI site is just too lousy, they dont have any information. Do road atlasses provide this information, which road atlas would you suggest.
  • Any other good hotels (preferably with hot water/AC/ample parking/restaurant) nearby to NH5 at these places Nellore,Guntur,Eluru,Rajahmundry,Vizag,Vijayawada. Just want to keep it handy.
I plan to split the journey of about 1260 kms into either 3 days of approx 400km drives (stopover at nellore & rajahmundry) or 2 days approx 600km (stopover at vijayawada). What do you guys suggest. Thou I prefer the later but it will need some aggressive driving that too with family, I certainly dont want to drive after dusk.
  • Should I plan like Stopover at tirupati & rajahmundry and make it a 3 day drive, cause I feel I may not struggle for accomodation like this.
  • Do you think from BLR to vijaywada is possible in 12 hrs with current road conditions?
Now return journey, on NH5 from Bam to Vijaywada shouldn't be that difficult as NH5 seems to be good condition, but how about vijayawada to BLR is possible to do the next day.
  • Late afternoon/evening drive will be naydupeta-->chitoor-->BLR, is it advisable during this time.
Old 25th October 2010, 19:27   #6
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Have few more queries. I have never done a long trip before in India so need as much information as possible. Plan to do BLR to Berhampur and later to Bbsr.
  • How is the stretch Bangalore to Chitoor (NH4) is it 4 laned already?
  • How are road conditions from chitoor-->Tirupati-->Nayadupeta, what highway is this is it laned or just single road with incoming traffic?
  • Are there any good number of rest areas where you can get to use toilets/restaurants on NH4 & NH5 ?(will be travelling with wife & a small baby). Any suggestions for good restaurants on NH5?
  • By the way are there any signs on NH5 displaying kms to the next rest area/petrol pump. Can I get it somewhere on the internet.NHAI site is just too lousy, they dont have any information. Do road atlasses provide this information, which road atlas would you suggest.
  • Any other good hotels (preferably with hot water/AC/ample parking/restaurant) nearby to NH5 at these places Nellore,Guntur,Eluru,Rajahmundry,Vizag,Vijayawada. Just want to keep it handy.
I plan to split the journey of about 1260 kms into either 3 days of approx 400km drives (stopover at nellore & rajahmundry) or 2 days approx 600km (stopover at vijayawada). What do you guys suggest. Thou I prefer the later but it will need some aggressive driving that too with family, I certainly dont want to drive after dusk.
  • Should I plan like Stopover at tirupati & rajahmundry and make it a 3 day drive, cause I feel I may not struggle for accomodation like this.
  • Do you think from BLR to vijaywada is possible in 12 hrs with current road conditions?
Now return journey, on NH5 from Bam to Vijaywada shouldn't be that difficult as NH5 seems to be good condition, but how about vijayawada to BLR is possible to do the next day.
  • Late afternoon/evening drive will be naydupeta-->chitoor-->BLR, is it advisable during this time.
1. bangalore - viziawada can be done easily in a day even Eluru/rajamundry is also possible and preferable. I have done Tirupati- vizag three time in the last 3 years. Latest is jan 2010. time taken was 11-12 hours including breaks for nature calls, food
Tirupati - viziawada the best timings were 5 hours with a break for fuel

On NH5 it is little difficult to find rest rooms with AC etc on the road ( at petrol stations) it is just a plain jane 4 lane highway. But you will find enough signs mentioning distance to next major station. It passes through Ongole, chilakaluripet town ( major one) rest all are bypassed.

Between Bangy- tirupati you have reasonably good places for rest and food.
Palamaner has APTDC pavitra restaraunt ( before Palamaner from bangy side )
next is bangaru palyam - you have reliance bunk with restaurant has AC and rest rooms are clean and good.
next is you can pass through Chittoor town one good restaurant is there on the main road (forgot the name).
Before kalahasti APTDC restaurant is there with rest rooms on the highway

If you start by 5 AM you can easily reach rajamundry by 7/8 PM. night driving ( upto 9-10 Pm only) on NH5 is not a problem at all.
this will make your drive next day easier as NH5 is not in great condition in AP orissa border

If you have go only up to berhampur you can rest at Viziawada itself. no need to strain
Old 26th October 2010, 22:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the stretch Bangalore to Chitoor (NH4) is it 4 laned already?
How are road conditions from chitoor-->Tirupati-->Nayadupeta, what highway is this is it laned or just single road with incoming traffic?
Its a normal 2 laned highway.Facilities are ok.Roads are good.

Quote:
Are there any good number of rest areas where you can get to use toilets/restaurants on NH4 & NH5 ?(will be travelling with wife & a small baby). Any suggestions for good restaurants on NH5?
No notable rest areas once you reach NH5.Might sound crude,but making use of nature is the best way out on Indian highways.You definitely do not want to use any of those petrol pump rest-rooms.Carry enough diapers and wet wipes for the baby.Be self-equipped with fruits,juices,biscuits.There is a BP Ghar at Ongole,but nothing notable other than that till you reach Vijaywada.NH5 passed through VJA town.

Leave BLR at 4-5am,carry breakfast or breakfast at Pavitra like RKG mentioned and you would be in VJA for a late lunch or Trunch.

Quote:
By the way are there any signs on NH5 displaying kms to the next rest area/petrol pump. Can I get it somewhere on the internet.NHAI site is just too lousy, they dont have any information. Do road atlasses provide this information, which road atlas would you suggest.
Google maps is precise as long as you use them for the main highways.Interior roads at times are faulty.Use the human atlases for best results.Ask around,and you will never be lost.People are all very friendly on the highways.As for distance,NH5 is very well marked and has phone numbers of all nearby police stations,higway patrols etc mentioned on them.Highway is not a desolate one,enough of human presence.Remember to carry your On Road assistance numbers for your car.

Quote:
Any other good hotels (preferably with hot water/AC/ample parking/restaurant) nearby to NH5 at these places Nellore,Guntur,Eluru,Rajahmundry,Vizag,Vijayawada. Just want to keep it handy.
Vijaywada has a host of them,we have stayed at Gateway,Quality Inn DV Manor,Forune Inn Murali Park at VJA.Illapuram is also good enough.

You dont enter the town at Guntur,Guntur to VJA would take you only around 1 hour.

Eluru Hotel Manya Guest Line.

Rajahmundry:Anand Regency

Vizag:there are lots of them.Dasapalla is good for a stopover.

Quote:
Should I plan like Stopover at tirupati & rajahmundry and make it a 3 day drive, cause I feel I may not struggle for accomodation like this.
Do you think from BLR to vijaywada is possible in 12 hrs with current road conditions?
You can easily do the journey in in two days.A 3 day drive for a 1000km distance is going to be extremely boring and frustrating for you.Kids adapt well,do not worry,even they would want to reach destinations sooner.We drive around the country with a 2 year old and we constantly do approx 800kms in a day on an avg.

Day 1: Blore-Vijayawada.Leave BLR 5am,you would be in VJA by 6pm latest.

Day 2:VJA-Behrampur.Leave after breakfast and you would be in B'pur by late evening.AOB is historically bad road region!

Quote:
Late afternoon/evening drive will be naydupeta-->chitoor-->BLR, is it advisable during this time.
No problems absolutley.Leave after breakfast and you would be in Blore for a late eveing tea!No safety issues on any of the highways.Its an easy drive.Once you crossover into AP,the roads are excellent.Nayudupeta-Tirupati sees lots of traffic so you would have company as this is pilgrim traffic to tirupati.

All the best and have a safe drive.Feel free to pm in incase you have any more queries.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:35   #8
BHPian

Thanks again rkg & ranjitp1,
your detailed responses will be very useful for me to plan.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thats a pretty long distance you are travelling and that too with a baby. Are you sure about that?

Do not tell me that you did not get train tickets and are hence driving all the way to the native place.
Old 29th October 2010, 14:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Thats a pretty long distance you are travelling and that too with a baby. Are you sure about that?

Do not tell me that you did not get train tickets and are hence driving all the way to the native place.
Hey thanks for the concern, Yes! Its pretty long distance, so still kind of in two minds. Train tickets we may get in tatkal or can always take the flight, but need a proper commute when i am there so thought of going by car. Still haven't decided when excatly i will be doing this trip but want to gather all info before i make the planning.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ranjitp1: This is very nice information, mate! Thanks a lot! Looks like NH5 didn't change much from Dasara 2008 (took that route on a Volvo B7R with a sprained ankle).

We're planning a Hyderabad - Tirupati/Tirumala - Tenali - Bhimavaram - Tenali/Vijayawada - Hyderabad round-trip between Dec. 16 and 20. Obviously I'll hit the NH5 between Nayudupeta and Tadepalligudem.

The information in this thread is encouraging for that stretch, but the last few posts in [url=http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/48544-hyderabad-tirumala-road-condition.html]this[/thread] kind of worry me a little, especially regarding the stretch between Ongole and Chilakaluripeta.

Given that we'll be 4 people with moderate-to-heavy luggage in a Civic (read: belly scrapes galore) I'm a bit worried.

Is that stretch between Tirupati - Nayudupeta - Vijayawada - Tadepalligudem - Bhimavaram as good as, say, the current NH7 stretch between Hyderabad and Bengaluru?

Regards,
spadix
Old 10th November 2010, 19:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

NH5 from Nayudupet to Vijaywada is fabulous. I did 250 kms in 3 hours a fortnight ago on this road. I would rate it betetr than NH7 (Hyd-Blr) since all towns are bypassed, roads are great, there are ample truck lay byes, and so on.
Old 28th November 2010, 21:08   #13
BHPian

hi guys, I too am driving to Calcutta from Bangalore in December and need food stop info on the route. i did this route earlier in 2006-7, and the A1 Plazas were working then. We did Bangalore to Vijaywada in one day (4.30 am to 6 pm) at moderate speeds (we have a Bolero). The next day we did Vijaywada to Gopalpur on Sea, and the third day to Cal from Gopalpur.

This time round we want to do fewer stops and drive steadily...am thinking of doing Eluru or Rajamundhry in 14/15 hours. Would need to stop for a decent lunch around Nellore or so... any ideas?

The next day, we need to do Rajamundhry to Bhubneswar. What should be the foodstops on the way? The third day won't be a problem because Orissa/bengal have a lot of food places. It is south Andhra that is absolutely devoid of any highway eateries. I found North Andhra much better in that respect.

Samsan, we've been traveling with our kid for a long time and they are much more adaptable than adults. Nothing's more boring than going by train. Please try this and keep it flexible. Have a Plan B, carry Colic Aid (if the kid has stomachache), Ondem (if the kid is nauseous). And always feed the kid when the car's stationary. Give him/her time to digest before driving again.

HTH. And hoping for some info from the others.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH5 from Nayudupet to Vijaywada is fabulous. I did 250 kms in 3 hours a fortnight ago on this road. I would rate it betetr than NH7 (Hyd-Blr) since all towns are bypassed, roads are great, there are ample truck lay byes, and so on.
Cool! Thanks for the update, hvkumar!

Now all that remains is to find out the situation between Vijayawada and Hyderabad. I've heard that construction is going on full-pelt and there are tons of diversions on this road now.

And then of course the smaller stretch between Vijayawada and Bhimavaram.

Thanks once again!

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th November 2010, 15:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

Now all that remains is to find out the situation between Vijayawada and Hyderabad.
Hyd-VJA is a bad stretch at the moment,drove it last month and its very difficult,cannot do speeds of more than 60-70.The only silver lining is that there is a good pit stop at 7-Refresh at Suryapet,an excellent place to stretch and restart the torture!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1820791-post1454.html

Most Viewed