Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 15:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Hyd-VJA is a bad stretch at the moment,drove it last month and its very difficult,cannot do speeds of more than 60-70.The only silver lining is that there is a good pit stop at 7-Refresh at Suryapet,an excellent place to stretch and restart the torture!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1820791-post1454.html
Uh oh! I'm OK with speeds of 60-70 but I was wondering more about the condition of the road. Traffic is whatever we get and we have to live with the madness but as long as the roads are smooth I'll be fine.

But the outlet looks fantastic. We've generally patronized APTDC Haritha near Suryapet, so it'll be good to try this out for a change.

Thanks for the update, Ranjit!

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th December 2010, 13:21   #17
BHPian

Re: Have few more queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi Guys,
Have few more queries. I have never done a long trip before in India so need as much information as possible. Plan to do BLR to Berhampur and later to Bbsr.
  • How is the stretch Bangalore to Chitoor (NH4) is it 4 laned already?
Hi All,

Searched through the forums and found that this is the latest thread on the topic... I am planning to drive down from Bangalore to Vijayawada on Dec 23. Traditionally, I have always followed the BLR - Chittoor - Tirupati - Nellore - Vijayawada. Now that the road from Bangalore to Kolar is pretty bad, I'm planning to explore the BLR - Chennai - Vijayawada option.

I got the driving directions (BLR - Chennai) from one of akroy's threads. Thanks @akroy! Now, where do I take a de-tour from the BLR - Chennai highway to get to "Chennai - Gudur" NH5 . Please guide me here. From Gudur, it is a ripping session (lot of de-tours due to six laning, though...) via Nellore to Vijayawada.

Thanks a ton!
Old 13th December 2010, 13:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

NH5 after the recent rains/floods?

I wonder how the NH5 is after the recent floods. Has anyone done the Nayudupeta - Vijayawada stretch in the last week or so?

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th December 2010, 16:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

No problem at all, as good as ever.
Old 15th December 2010, 13:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No problem at all, as good as ever.
Cool! Thanks for the update, hvkumar .

We'll be hitting this stretch on the 18th.

Regards,
spadix
Old 10th January 2011, 15:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
We'll be hitting this stretch on the 18th.
I realized that I forgot to update this thread after my trip.

As planned I hit NH5 on Dec. 18 (from Nayudupeta to just before Guntur), Dec. 19 (from just before Vijayawada to just before Tadepalligudem) and Dec. 20 (back to Vijayawada).

It's a beautiful road. Kilometres will just fly past like they don't exist. Truck traffic is heavier than on NH7 but not at all alarming.

Unfortunately there aren't any good places to eat along the route, unless you skip the bypasses and enter one of the towns (probably not recommended).

Caution is advised near the culverts between Vijayawada and Tadepalligudem as the road undulates rather roughly over these.

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th January 2011, 20:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys and specially HVK.

I am planning a trip to Chattisgarh - Kanha in March first week and this thread is of mighty help as i will be doing Bangalore - Rajahmundry - Jagdalpur and my way back Kanha - Hyderabad - Bangalore.

On good roads one can avarege 80 KMs per hour comfortably. I did Davanagere - Bangalore a distance of 261 KMs in my Scorpio in three and quarter hours comfortably last week.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I am planning a trip to Chattisgarh - Kanha in March first week and this thread is of mighty help as i will be doing Bangalore - Rajahmundry - Jagdalpur and my way back Kanha - Hyderabad - Bangalore.
All the best for your trip, Fauji!

The stretches in AP and Karnataka will be absolute smooth sailing from my experience (both recent and earlier). However, the MP/CG stretches are apparently still very bad. Check with Avi (mobike008). He did an epic round-trip recently and on his way back to Hyderabad he encountered some roads in MP near Pench where he had to toil for 6 hrs to cover 175 kms in his Cruze.

Regards,
spadix
Old 30th December 2011, 01:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, have any one done that Bangalore-Vijayawada trip recently? I am planning a trip to Vijayawada in Januray and will be travelling with my wife and about to be a year old son. He did like the train journey much and flights are way too expensive and busses are definet no-no, so the only option for me would be to take my car(Indica DLG turbo, 55k kms). I have done some long trips a while back, like Bangy to Hyd in 2007 and bangy to goa and back in 2008. But havent done any for the last two years for the obvious reason.. . Any inputs/updates is mcuh appreciated.
Old 30th December 2011, 09:13   #25
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Guys, have any one done that Bangalore-Vijayawada trip recently?
My Linea did Chennai to Chilakaluripeta on NH 5 in September 2011. NH 5 is being widened from 4 lanes to 6 lanes. There is a BP COCO pump+Ghar Dhaba near Ongole on LHS while going towards Vijayawada.

Old 30th December 2011, 10:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, have any one done that Bangalore-Vijayawada trip recently? I am planning a trip to Vijayawada in Januray and will be travelling with my wife and about to be a year old son. He did like the train journey much and flights are way too expensive and busses are definet no-no, so the only option for me would be to take my car(Indica DLG turbo, 55k kms). I have done some long trips a while back, like Bangy to Hyd in 2007 and bangy to goa and back in 2008. But havent done any for the last two years for the obvious reason.. . Any inputs/updates is mcuh appreciated.
I did Bangalore-Vijayawada-Vizag trip on 23rd Dec. I started from Bangalore at 9.30 AM and reached Vijayawada by 8.30 PM. The road conditions and time taken are as below

Blr-Chittoor Bypass : Took 2.30 hrs. 4 Lane road till Mulbagal ( Approx 100 kms) and very good condition. 2 lane road from Mulbagal to Chitoor Bypass but good road surface with moderate traffic. Stopped at Cafe Coffee day for a short Bio break

Chittoor Bypass to Tirupathi : Took 2 hrs. reached at 2.00 PM. We normally take 1 hr for this stretch of 70 + Kms. However took longer time due to extra size vehicle causing traffic blocks on 2 railway crossings. Bad road for 3 kms and uneven surface in Bypass road. Good road till Tirupathi. Stopped at Fortune Kences, Tirupathi for Lunch.

Tirupathi - Naidupeta : 65 kms. Started at 3.00 PM and reached naidupeta at 4.30 PM. Good road surface with heavy traffic

Naidupeta-Vijayawada : 350 kms. Good 4 lane road with moderate traffic Took 4 hrs to cover the distance. 6 laning in progress

Other eating options are

1. Woody's after Kolar Bypass
2. Nandi Plaza after Bangarupalle and before Chittor
3. Bans hotel, Chittoor Bypass
4. Hotel Haritha (APTDC) before Kalahasti
5. BPCL Ghar near Ongole

Last edited by sureshurs : 30th December 2011 at 10:27.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You shouldnt have any problems with the drive.Roads are excellent throughout.The only problem stretch would be Guntur-Vijayawada stretch of approx 40kms which is being 6 laned.Expect some jams there but nothing to be unduly worried.Eating options are virtually absent on the NH5 unless you would want to go into the towns at Nellore/Ongole.Else nothing on the highway.Also be careful of cattle running across the highway,this NH is notorious for that and I have had a personal mishap at the hands of a buffalo leaving my windscreen shattered.The reason is because the medians have lush green grass and shrubs and so are very tempting for the animals and at times the shrubs are so big that they hide the animals.Nothing to scare you off,but just something to bear in mind that is all.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 11:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Cyclone Thane makes landfall between Puducherry and Cuddalore, causes heavy rain
Old 30th December 2011, 22:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You shouldnt have any problems with the drive.Roads are excellent throughout.The only problem stretch would be Guntur-Vijayawada stretch of approx 40kms which is being 6 laned.Expect some jams there but nothing to be unduly worried..
Thank you Ranjitp, this is very useful....I will be travelling to a place called Avanigadda. Not sure if any of you are aware of this one. After or before Ongole, I believe there is a deviaition, which takes me directly to this place and thus avoiding Vijayawada all together. I do not remember the place where this deviation needs to be taken though and appreciate if any of you know.
Old 1st January 2012, 16:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ranjitp, this is very useful....I will be travelling to a place called Avanigadda. Not sure if any of you are aware of this one. After or before Ongole, I believe there is a deviaition, which takes me directly to this place and thus avoiding Vijayawada all together. I do not remember the place where this deviation needs to be taken though and appreciate if any of you know.
YOu can turn off at Ongole and go via Bapatla to Avanigadda.

Most Viewed