Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 00:15   #1
BHPian

Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Well, we have been planning a road trip for a long time and now I guess was the right time to plan one. This would be my first road trip so I have no idea how to plan it. So I need experienced guys to drop in and shed in there knowledge and experience.

We plan to have 20 (may be 30) odd days long road trip with 4 guys on board.

We also plan to divide our journey and enjoy all the major cities that we cross through. We plan to halt on these major places, explore them well and then move ahead towards Mumbai.

So, I want the help on how to plan the trip , what all cities we should cover, what all places we need to visit, what route we should follow, what routes are unsafe and etc.

We plan to go in Decemeber if plans is all set by that time

Last edited by ankit_chd : 13th October 2010 at 00:16.
Old 13th October 2010, 08:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

You are pampered for choices of places to stop en route, especially the places of Rajasthan. Ideally, you can stop over in Jaipur, Chittorgarh, Udaipur. The route is Chandigarh-DElhi-Jaipur-Kishangarh-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Baroda-Surat-Vapi-Bombay. Distance on-way is 1700 kms.

Happily, once you cross Haryana, there is not much fog.

Check out the following link, which has a log book of one of my drives from Chandigarh to Bombay (last sector, last day):
http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/North-Dec2007.xls
Old 13th October 2010, 08:52   #3
BHPian

What car? your Altis?

And... Boss, if you have at least 20 days, why not go all the way to kerala or something with goa on the way. I mean you could do the whole west coast of India! That would really be something!

BHPians here will help you with everything!
Old 13th October 2010, 14:46   #4
BHPian

I have done Mumbai-Chandigar-Punjab-Mumbai last December in a Dzire I had bought two weeks ago. It was a liftetime experience. Driving through Gujrat and some parts of Rajasthan is a real pleasure. However you need to be very prepared and plan the timings very well. I lost a couple of hours because I left from Mumbai at around 10 oclock and it had a rolling effect on my timing of entering the cities later in the day. PM me if you specific information.
Old 13th October 2010, 16:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You are pampered for choices of places to stop en route, especially the places of Rajasthan. Ideally, you can stop over in Jaipur, Chittorgarh, Udaipur. The route is Chandigarh-DElhi-Jaipur-Kishangarh-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Baroda-Surat-Vapi-Bombay. Distance on-way is 1700 kms.

Happily, once you cross Haryana, there is not much fog.

Check out the following link, which has a log book of one of my drives from Chandigarh to Bombay (last sector, last day):
http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/North-Dec2007.xls
I want best possible route which covers major cities that are worth visiting. I dont mind stretching my route and days. I want complete exploration through out. Well I will study the route you gave me, but still I would be needing more inputs from your side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
What car? your Altis?

And... Boss, if you have at least 20 days, why not go all the way to kerala or something with goa on the way. I mean you could do the whole west coast of India! That would really be something!

BHPians here will help you with everything!
Well car can be i20 diesel or a swift diesel. I would prefer diesel car but if no options then my trusting honda city would do the job. Well we have plans for GOA also but we have loads of other friends waiting for us at Mumbai, so we will travel to Goa by air or rail. I wish I could extend it to Kerela but budget is also a major thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
I have done Mumbai-Chandigar-Punjab-Mumbai last December in a Dzire I had bought two weeks ago. It was a liftetime experience. Driving through Gujrat and some parts of Rajasthan is a real pleasure. However you need to be very prepared and plan the timings very well. I lost a couple of hours because I left from Mumbai at around 10 oclock and it had a rolling effect on my timing of entering the cities later in the day. PM me if you specific information.

Well , this is my 1st trip and I have no idea how to plan and proceed with it. I will pm you and ask for your route and all. Thanks

Last edited by ankit_chd : 13th October 2010 at 16:44.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:35   #6
BHPian

dude - it depends which cities have you seen and which you have not.

Route will be something like -

Chd - Del - Jaipur - Udaipur - Mumbai
or you can do Del - Agra - Jaipur

20 days is a lot of time...

It should be fairly easy and stress free...
Old 15th September 2011, 16:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

I have to go to Chandigarh around the 11th of Jan 2012. I'm contemplating driving there from Mumbai. I know the roads are good but need to know about a halt for the night. Is it possible to reach Delhi if one leaves very early in the morning from Mumbai.
Regards
Old 15th September 2011, 16:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I have to go to Chandigarh around the 11th of Jan 2012. I'm contemplating driving there from Mumbai. I know the roads are good but need to know about a halt for the night. Is it possible to reach Delhi if one leaves very early in the morning from Mumbai.
Regards
Depends on how fast a driver you are. If I leave Bombay at 3 am, with non-stop, no-break driving, I have done Delhi in 17 hours and with the current road widening mess in Bombay-Vapi and Jaipur-Manesar, allow for extra 2 hours.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Depends on how fast a driver you are. If I leave Bombay at 3 am, with non-stop, no-break driving, I have done Delhi in 17 hours and with the current road widening mess in Bombay-Vapi and Jaipur-Manesar, allow for extra 2 hours.
HVK then it seems too tedious to try out. As there is no rush, perhaps a halt at a different place earlier on the way will be more appropriate.
Old 20th February 2015, 22:54   #10
ais
BHPian

Finally, I'm buying a BMW at Mumbai and it will be used in Chandigarh. I'd feel sheepish sending it via transport! So a drive down it will be. I must cover the stretch in two days with day only driving. Picturesque route with good road are a bonus if they can be found. Google map says Mumbai- Indore with night halt at Indore. Then via Jaipur and Rohtak- Panipat to NH1. No halt hopefully.

Any suggestions and recent experience on this or altternate route will be really appreciated.
Old 27th February 2015, 13:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Finally, I'm buying a BMW at Mumbai and it will be used in Chandigarh. I'd feel sheepish sending it via transport! So a drive down it will be. I must cover the stretch in two days with day only driving. Picturesque route with good road are a bonus if they can be found. Google map says Mumbai- Indore with night halt at Indore. Then via Jaipur and Rohtak- Panipat to NH1. No halt hopefully.

Any suggestions and recent experience on this or altternate route will be really appreciated.
Stick to the route via Ahmedabad,alternate roads are not worth it.

D1: Bombay-Ahmedabad Bypassed-Udaipur

D2:Udaipur-Jaipur Bypassed-Gurgaon-Delhi-Chandigarh

Udp-Gurgaon can be done in approximately 12hrs
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 13:47   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
D1: Bombay-Ahmedabad Bypassed-Udaipur
In this route, watch out for the block at the Golden Bridge at Bharuch or at the NH-8 bypass as well. Queues during weekends have been known to have lasted for 3-4 hours. I was stuck on the queue for 2 hours during a weekday.

You can also bypass Ahmedabad by taking the Anand-Modasa-Kherwara-Udaipur route. You get to experience a bit of the NE-1 expressway but you can avoid touching Himmatnagar.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 14:24   #13
BHPian

Do not go via Indore route as Gannu_1 has suggested.

Do not by pass ankleswar and instead of going through Ahmedabad go from Vadodara to Halol, Kalol , bypass Godhra and take lunawada route to Modassa Shamlaji and join NH8 again for Udaipur.

Even if you miss the entrance to Ankleswar come back and go through the city using the Golden Bridge over Narmada. Its the only way out.
The Ankleswar Bharuch Bypass jam lasts minimum 2 hours to as high as 5-7 hours. Pls do not get tempted to use Bypass for Ankleswar Bharuch twin Cities.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 27th February 2015 at 14:27.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 15:41   #14
ais
BHPian

I've taken the Indore route and have reached comfortably. The NH3 is superb. I started from Bhiwandi at about 5.45 and have reached Indore at about 2.30pm. The road is excellent and no more traffic than is to be expected on a major highway.

Will update on tomorrow's journey. Route will be Ujjain Chittorgarh Jaipur bypassed towards Rohtak and meeting NH 1 at Panipat.
ais is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 16:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Picturesque route with good road are a bonus if they can be found. Google map says Mumbai- Indore with night halt at Indore. Then via Jaipur and Rohtak- Panipat to NH1
Mumbai - Vadodara - Ahmedabad you will find plenty of references , from Ahmedabad instead of usual route of Himatnagar - Udaipur can come via Abu-Road - plenty of mountains & few waterbodies

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ud...2505!5i1?hl=en

Alternatively Instead of going to Ahmedabad you can take Modasa route from Vadodara

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...queries-6.html

From Jaipur continue all the way till Bawal than look for turn on left to Rohtak / Panipat

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ba....3909464?hl=en

watch out for some large speed breakers about 40 km before Panipat on this highway - otherwise very good roads

Don't forgot to keep an additional spare tyre

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th February 2015 at 16:28.

Most Viewed