Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:47   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Long back we used to go Chennai - Salem - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalpet - Munnar. Used to take ages in the old Fiat or Amby. But a lovely drive in terms of scenic beauty.
Udumalpet-Munnar is still a scenic drive. In fact one leg of the journey can still be done this way. Also saves from monotony of driving the same route.
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Chennai - Trichy - Dindigul - Theni - Munnar is the shortest.

But, Udumalpet - Munnar is more scenic
I checked in google map, the shortest appears to be Chennai - Trichy - Madurai - Theni - Munnar. Though the difference is very less (just 7km), i think it makes more sense to take the Madurai route, because of the 4 lane road.

Regards,
qARS
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
I checked in google map, the shortest appears to be Chennai - Trichy - Madurai - Theni - Munnar. Though the difference is very less (just 7km), i think it makes more sense to take the Madurai route, because of the 4 lane road.

Regards,
qARS
No. You may need to review it again. The shortest is indeed Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Munnar which is 577 Kms. The distance for Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Theni-Munnar is 606 Kms. Trichy-Dindigul road should not be bad, I hear that the 4 laning is almost complete.

But, again, if I were to go to Munnar from Chennai, I would take Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Mettur-Bhavani-Udumalpet-Munnar. The distance is 620 Kms. Still, I will prefer this route because of the sceneries.

Now, the decision is yours
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed-chdin.jpg  

Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed-chmdu.jpg  

Chennai to Munnar - Road Trip : Route Info Needed-chnudu.jpg  

Old 1st April 2011, 12:26   #34
BHPian

Thanks for helping me select the route guys!

Can you also please suggest a good place to halt for Breakfast and lunch on my way to Munnar?

I plan to leave from Chennai no later than 3AM. The route as pointed out by rameshnanada would be- Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Munnar.

Thanks Team!
Old 1st April 2011, 15:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Thanks for helping me select the route guys!

Can you also please suggest a good place to halt for Breakfast and lunch on my way to Munnar?

I plan to leave from Chennai no later than 3AM. The route as pointed out by rameshnanada would be- Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Munnar.

Thanks Team!
If you plan to start at 3 am, then you would be ideally having your breakfast at Trichy at around 7.30 am.

Try Hotel Ananda, simple south indian breakfast. Ananda is on the Trichy byepass road, just before you take the turn to Dindigal Road. Dont try to push to Dindigal, as Dindigal byepass is just being constructed there no good hotels on the byepass, just 'Lorry Hotels'. You have to enter Dindugal for breakfast and it would waste Time.

If you have a heavy breakfast, I guess you can reach Munnar for Lunch.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:30   #36
BHPian

Another route that could be tried is Chennai - Trichy - Dindugal - Palani - Udumalipet - Munnar. Dindugal to Udumalaipet will be around 90 - 100 km and the roads are very good
Old 1st April 2011, 22:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Another route that could be tried is Chennai - Trichy - Dindugal - Palani - Udumalipet - Munnar. Dindugal to Udumalaipet will be around 90 - 100 km and the roads are very good
This is indeed another good option provided if the route between Dindigul and Udumalpet is good. I may try this route sometime. The total distance works out at 602 Kms.
Old 2nd April 2011, 07:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thekkady can also be included in this route. Thekkady to Munnar is a delight to drive

Last edited by Surprise : 2nd April 2011 at 07:18.
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:34   #39
BHPian

Thanks guys!

^^Yep, Munnar-Thekkady by road is on the cards as well. Iam staying 2 nights at Munnar & the 3rd one at Thekkady. Will post pics & hopefully my 1st Travelogue when i return.
Old 17th April 2011, 16:24   #40
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Munnar on 21st. As suggested by some of the members, I'll be doing Chennai - Trichy - Dindigul - Bodinayakkanur - Munnar
route.
When I googled maps for Trichy - Dindigul stretch, it suggests NH45B route which comes to 130km, but if I modified the route in the map to NH45 which comes to 98 km.

Please suggest which one to use? Not sure why google is suggesting a longer distance route.

Can anyone suggest which route to use, the one which google suggests or the other one?

Thanks
qARS

Last edited by qAnand : 17th April 2011 at 16:29.
Old 17th April 2011, 17:46   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning to drive to Munnar on 21st. As suggested by some of the members, I'll be doing Chennai - Trichy - Dindigul - Bodinayakkanur - Munnar
route.
When I googled maps for Trichy - Dindigul stretch, it suggests NH45B route which comes to 130km, but if I modified the route in the map to NH45 which comes to 98 km.

Please suggest which one to use? Not sure why google is suggesting a longer distance route.

Can anyone suggest which route to use, the one which google suggests or the other one?

Thanks
qARS

Better to do Trichy-Madurai-Theni rather than Trichy-Dindigul-Theni.

There still are diversions on the Trichy-Dindigul section of NH45. 4L is not complete yet. Trichy-Madurai is fully done. Madurai by-pass is also in place. You do only 25km more compared to the Dindigul stretch.

But at least you drive all the way till Madurai without any hassle.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:17   #42
BHPian

Thank you.
What about Madurai - Theni Stretch? How is the road condition, is it four laned too?

Regards,
qARS
Old 17th April 2011, 20:28   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you.
What about Madurai - Theni Stretch? How is the road condition, is it four laned too?

Regards,
qARS
NH49 from Madurai is 2L till Munnar and beyond (all the way til Ernakulam). (Madurai-Theni-Bodi-Munnar-Adimali-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuza-Ernakulam)
I think it is decent (Though I am not aware of any recent updates). But then this 2L would very similar to what you would have done from Dindigul-Theni.
Old 18th April 2011, 16:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Amp, Anand,

The Trichy-Dindigul stretch is pretty good too. Only issue it has compared to the Madurai route is bypassing Trichy (actually am looking if there exists any way to bypass Trichy and enter NH45 to Dindigul)
Old 18th April 2011, 17:52   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Amp, Anand,
The Trichy-Dindigul stretch is pretty good too. Only issue it has compared to the Madurai route is bypassing Trichy (actually am looking if there exists any way to bypass Trichy and enter NH45 to Dindigul)
@Narayan, I was told that road is smooth, but 4L is not over. As a result there are quite some diversions. Hence I suggested Madurai. If this status has changed, then my info was old. (Sorry for that confusion).

And I remember HVK mentioning by-passes at Trichy is also complete.
HVK, can you please confirm? (I am not sure).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks