Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 13:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: mangalore to mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Hi Turbo, can you tell me what your experience was ? I'm planning a trip the other way Mangalore - Mysore at the end of this month.
I dont know how is it via Sulya. But at least route via Sakleshpur-Kodlipet-Arkalgud-Holenarasipur-Mysore should be good/decent.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 14:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont know how is it via Sulya. But at least route via Sakleshpur-Kodlipet-Arkalgud-Holenarasipur-Mysore should be good/decent.
Thanks Ampere, that's the one I was considering, since its on the NH 48 till Hassan. Is that a double lane all the way to Bangalore? I expect that to be in better shape compared to the one through Sulya, which is bad in patches and under repair right now. The NH 48 route is about 30 kms longer but on better roads it's worth it I think.
Old 18th March 2013, 14:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere, that's the one I was considering, since its on the NH 48 till Hassan. Is that a double lane all the way to Bangalore? I expect that to be in better shape compared to the one through Sulya, which is bad in patches and under repair right now. The NH 48 route is about 30 kms longer but on better roads it's worth it I think.
NH48 is 4-lane from Kunigal to Bangalore. Its definitely doable till Bangalore. But as I read report Hassan bypass is bad.

You plan to goto Bangalore? I thought you said Mysore.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ampere, I completed the Mysore trip as scheduled. We went Mangalore-Haasan-Holenarsipur. Returned via Madikeri-Sulya-Puttur road. The latter route is 30kms shorter. This route has many patches where road works are on, so that makes for difficult driving. Also road surfacing is not as good as the first route overall. But the ghat section is much less. On the first route the only disadvantage I found was the considerably longer ghat section. Otherwise the road surfacing by and large is quite good.

I really don't know which one I'll choose the next time!!
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 20:28   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I really don't know which one I'll choose the next time!!
So by and large Sulya-Puttur is still drivable!

Or is it the XUV? (That I see in your signature!)
How is the Puttur drive overall? Does it tire out the passengers?
Old 1st April 2013, 21:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
So by and large Sulya-Puttur is still drivable!

Or is it the XUV? (That I see in your signature!)
How is the Puttur drive overall? Does it tire out the passengers?
It's drivable, but obviously you feel far more comfortable in an XUV compared to a sedan. Last October, I had the sump of my Honda City punctured at Bhatkal in one of those monsoon ravaged patches. Actually that was one of the major reasons for buying the XUV.

Overall the Puttur drive is OK for adults I guess. Maybe small kids may have a problem. It's really sad, but by the time they fix the Puttur patches, the monsoon will come and undo all the good work. Doubly sad because Coorg is such a great place.
Old 6th October 2013, 13:36   #22
BHPian

I need to travel from Mangalore to Mysore next week and was thinking of the route Mangalore->Puttur->Sullia->Madikeri->Mysore. Any idea on the current road conditions, especially between Mangalore and Madikeri? Or is the Mangalore->Hassan->Mysore a better alternative. The trip will be in an Ikon and would be traveling with a kid.

Girish.
Old 6th October 2013, 14:34   #23
BHPian

1. Mangalore to Puttur: Watch out for pot holes at Kalladka-Mani section.
2. Puttur-Sullia : UN-finished section in between and near Sullia, after Jalsoor really horrible.( about 6-9 kms.).
3. Sullia to Sampaje: This section is rally worst.You may require about 45 mts., to cover this stretch of about 25kms.
4. Sampaje to Mysoe: Superb and watch out for speeding KSRTC buses.

Via Sakleshpura:
1. From Gundya to Sakleshpura is a bad stretch.
2. Hassan to Mysore via Holenarasipura: Good road but watch out for numerous unnecessary spread breakers.
I think still you can bet on Mani-Mysore route,which is about 75 km., shorter and also you will come across excellent scenery.
Old 6th October 2013, 20:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Via Sakleshpura:
1. From Gundya to Sakleshpura is a bad stretch.
2. Hassan to Mysore via Holenarasipura: Good road but watch out for numerous unnecessary spread breakers.
I think still you can bet on Mani-Mysore route,which is about 75 km., shorter and also you will come across excellent scenery.
Rao Sir, where is this Mani you speak of? Unable to find it on Google Maps. Thanks.
Old 6th October 2013, 21:58   #25
BHPian

From "Kalladka" "Maani" is about 5 kms., towards Bangalore. From this junction, right towards to "Puttur" and straight drive towards to "Uppinangadi".
B.R.S.Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 09:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Thanks for the update sir. Would 7-8 hours travel time be realistic between Mangalore and Mysore?

Regards,
Girish
Old 7th October 2013, 13:25   #27
BHPian

Yes. Drive will be tedious between Sullia to Sampaje stretch. But, once you cross Sampaje forest gate, its "road to heaven".
Old 13th October 2013, 19:38   #28
BHPian

I am planning to go from Bangalore to Mysore tomorrow morning. Had promised my son to take him to Mysore zoo during his Dasara vacations. It seems the famous jumbo savari is scheduled tomorrow afternoon from 1pm onwards.
Looking for guidance from BHPians about how to plan my travel tomorrow so that I can visit the zoo and also witness the jumbo savari in the afternoon. Also, given the tourist crowd that will be there, where should I park my car and how to move locally within Mysore. I will have have my wife and two kids (6 year & 1 year) along with me.
Old 13th October 2013, 20:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
Looking for guidance from BHPians about how to plan my travel tomorrow so that I can visit the zoo and also witness the jumbo savari in the afternoon. Also, given the tourist crowd that will be there, where should I park my car and how to move locally within Mysore. I will have have my wife and two kids (6 year & 1 year) along with me.
Theoretically it'd be possible to do both. You could leave Bangalore early morning 6:30 and reach Mysore zoo by 10:30 (allowing for more than normal traffic and breakfast). You could spend 1-2hrs easily in the zoo, depending on the energy levels (you could take a battery operated vehicle inside the zoo, so that its easier on kids). You could then have lunch and see the jamboo savari. The official small parking place in front of the zoo gets full quickly. The police will make arrangements in nearby vacant lots. You can also park in the "Mall of Mysore" about 400-500m from the zoo entrance.

However, its very tough to get vantage position to see the procession if you don't have a pass (and even if you have a pass, you have to be seated a couple of hours earlier as you'd find it very very difficult to even reach the entrance for pass holders). With two kids, unless you get a pass of some kind, I'd not recommend.

Mysore gets a hell a lot of crowd during Dasara and especially on the day of jamboo savaari (lot of people from nearby towns and villages will flock in). Also on this day, the route of the procession gets blocked from noon and that along with surging crowds makes it way to painful to be in Mysore on this day (I'm a Mysorean and if I happen to be in Mysore on this day, I'd happily sit at home). Also expect bumper to bumper traffic on the return.

Dasara transforms Mysore and I'd urge you to plan for a two day trip later in the week (all the lighting and related arrangements would usually stay put for a few more days).

I'm sorry for sounding negative, but I'd like you to enjoy Mysore and Mysore Dasara little more peacefully.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 21:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Theoretically it'd be possible to do both. You could leave Bangalore early morning 6:30 and reach Mysore zoo by 10:30 (allowing for more than normal traffic and breakfast). You could spend 1-2hrs easily in the zoo, depending on the energy levels (you could take a battery operated vehicle inside the zoo, so that its easier on kids). You could then have lunch and see the jamboo savari. The official small parking place in front of the zoo gets full quickly. The police will make arrangements in nearby vacant lots. You can also park in the "Mall of Mysore" about 400-500m from the zoo entrance.

However, its very tough to get vantage position to see the procession if you don't have a pass (and even if you have a pass, you have to be seated a couple of hours earlier as you'd find it very very difficult to even reach the entrance for pass holders). With two kids, unless you get a pass of some kind, I'd not recommend.

Mysore gets a hell a lot of crowd during Dasara and especially on the day of jamboo savaari (lot of people from nearby towns and villages will flock in). Also on this day, the route of the procession gets blocked from noon and that along with surging crowds makes it way to painful to be in Mysore on this day (I'm a Mysorean and if I happen to be in Mysore on this day, I'd happily sit at home). Also expect bumper to bumper traffic on the return.

Dasara transforms Mysore and I'd urge you to plan for a two day trip later in the week (all the lighting and related arrangements would usually stay put for a few more days).

I'm sorry for sounding negative, but I'd like you to enjoy Mysore and Mysore Dasara little more peacefully.

Prasad
Thanks Prasad. I don't have any pass. Will postpone Mysore trip by couple of days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks