Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2010, 12:43   #1
BHPian

Route Information : Mangalore to Mysore

Just came back from Mysore. The road from Mangalore to Sullia is ok with patches that are bad like the puttur bye pass that is under expansion. After Sullia the ghat upto madkeri town centre is potholed and the work for state highway is commencing. The road from Madkeri right upto Mysore is 2 lane and very good except for kushal nagar town where work is in progress. But it is hardly 3-4 kms.
Old 18th December 2010, 10:08   #2
BHPian

Mangalore to Mysore

Now since that the road between sampaje and madikeri is closed, which is the best way to go to mysore from mangalore? We had booked a 4 day stay in mysore and had decided to go to mysore via madikeri.
Old 18th December 2010, 11:41   #3
BHPian

Re: Mangalore to Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprao View Post
Now since that the road between sampaje and madikeri is closed, which is the best way to go to mysore from mangalore? We had booked a 4 day stay in mysore and had decided to go to mysore via madikeri.
There are a few options, each with different degree of adventure:

1. Mangalore-Kasargod-Kanhangad-Panathur-Bhagamandala-Madikeri-Mysore
(Horrible road/traffic on NH17 and narrow roads till Madikeri, very scenic per BHPians who have done Bhagamandala-Panathur stretch)

2. Mangalore-Gundya-Kukke-Bisle-Somwarpet-Virajpet-Mysore
(can gain some off roading experience in Bisle ghats)

3. Mangalore-Gundya-Sakleshpur-Hassan-Mysore
(has to bear terrible Shiradi ghats)

4. Mangalore-Ujire-Belur-Hassan-Mysore
(lot longer, but by and large decent roads).

There was also a mention in another thread that private vehicles are still allowed, you may want to check that out.

Prasad

PS: All these roads are discussed almost daily on Team-BHP, pl. do a search and get the recent updates.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:34   #4
BHPian

Thanks Prasad! Sorry for the late reply as I didn't get any notification that my post was approved.

I guess I'll take the Sakleshpur road. I know Shiradi is worst now but my friends have been coming from Sakleshpur often and they say that it's still motorable and the potholes are not large enough to cause significant problems.

The Mangalore-Ujire-Belur-Hassan-Mysore options sounds good but we really don't have that much time in our hands. We'll be leaving by morning 7.00am and hope to reach Mysore by 3.00pm.
Old 21st December 2010, 18:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprao View Post

I guess I'll take the Sakleshpur road. I know Shiradi is worst now but my friends have been coming from Sakleshpur often and they say that it's still motorable and the potholes are not large enough to cause significant problems.

A cousin of mine that studies in Sullia said that they are allowing mini-buses
b/w Sampaje and Madikeri, to help locals in the area to travel (roads apparently not blocked b/w Sampaje and Sullia). He is planning to use the mini-bus to come to Madikeri and from there to Mysore. You may want to check with someone(?), may be Sullia Police or so, as the cars might still be allowed, if mini-buses are plying.

Have a nice journey.

Prasad
Old 21st December 2010, 20:04   #6
BHPian

Even i am planning to take Madikeri Mangalore route on Dec 31. Somebody with local knowledge of this route... plz help.

Samurai sir... need help from you. please check with your staff and let us know if cars are allowed on this route.
Old 21st December 2010, 20:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Even i am planning to take Madikeri Mangalore route on Dec 31. Somebody with local knowledge of this route... plz help.

Samurai sir... need help from you. please check with your staff and let us know if cars are allowed on this route.
This link claims that DC - Kodagu, has banned *all* vehicles except the authorized mini buses.

Prasad
Old 11th January 2011, 16:08   #8
BHPian

Re: mangalore to mysore

Finally took the Mangalore-Charmadi-Belur-Hassan-Mysore and didn't regret a bit. I think it adds to about an hour (20kms) to the journey (due to winding roads till the end of charmadi). But the road is excellent and I would rather spend an hour extra on good road than half an hour on bad road.

The only thing you need to ensure is that you take the mudigere - gendiahally - belur road instead of mudigere - gonebidu - belur road which is in bad condition (thanks to a fellow bhpian!)
Old 14th March 2011, 14:43   #9
BHPian

I came last week from Mysore to Mangalore. After Mysore once you cross belwadi go further ahead and take a right turn to Hassan. Straight goes to Hunsur, Mangalore via Madkeri. From that turn it is around 90 kms to Hassan crossing K R Nagar, Hole Narsimpur on the way. We reach from Hassan SEZ on to the Bangalore - Mangalore highway bypass. Take left and straight to Mangalore around 165 kms. Shiradi ghat is almost completely relaid. The speed with which work was going on i feel by this week they will finish it. Hopefully it will remain smooth until the monsoons. After that god knows!
Old 15th March 2011, 21:37   #10
BHPian

Hi there, I read all the posts on this thread with great interest. My family (wife and 3-yr-old daughter) and I plan to visit Mysore sometime in September/October. This visit is part of our Goa-Belgaum-Tumkur-Pondicherry-Vailankani-Pondicherry-Krishnagiri-Mysore-Madikeri-Mangalore-Goa trip in our I10. My last visit to Mysore was way back in 1982 as a 10-year-old and hence I have extremely sketchy memories of the place. Can any of you guys (either from Bangalore or Mysore) be willing to give me info (best route, staying, visiting, sightseeing, etc) on Mysore? I would be more than happy to contact any of you by email or phone for more details, so that I can plan the journey well in advance. Please let me know. In return, I would be more than happy to supply you with all the info on Goa. Thanks, Melvyn
Old 16th March 2011, 10:09   #11
BHPian

September/October is still a long way...the road conditions would have changed by then (good or bad...???)

Roads are good to Mysore from all directions ... Bangalore, Madikeri, Hassan, Ooty, Kerala. Best would be to check for the updates after the rains (July/August).

Sept/Oct is Dasara time in Mysore. Oct 8th to be precise. This means more tourists ... more traffic...more crowd.

There are lots of places in & around Mysore to visit. To name a few: Chamundeshwari Temple, Brindavan gardends, Zoo, Sriranga patna (few places here itself). Depends on what kind you are intrested. You can also google for Karnataka tourism or Mysore tourism for more details.
Similarly lots of hotels for varied budgets. Booking in Dasara time might be a tad difficult. Most of the hotels have websites, you can look up for more information.

Will be glad to help for any info on Mysore...
Old 16th March 2011, 11:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
September/October is still a long way...the road conditions would have changed by then (good or bad...???)

Roads are good to Mysore from all directions ... Bangalore, Madikeri, Hassan, Ooty, Kerala. Best would be to check for the updates after the rains (July/August).

Sept/Oct is Dasara time in Mysore. Oct 8th to be precise. This means more tourists ... more traffic...more crowd.

There are lots of places in & around Mysore to visit. To name a few: Chamundeshwari Temple, Brindavan gardends, Zoo, Sriranga patna (few places here itself). Depends on what kind you are intrested. You can also google for Karnataka tourism or Mysore tourism for more details.
Similarly lots of hotels for varied budgets. Booking in Dasara time might be a tad difficult. Most of the hotels have websites, you can look up for more information.

Will be glad to help for any info on Mysore...
Many thanks for your prompt reply and I will be in touch with you in this regard. The idea to plan well in advance is to...

1. Work out a rough sketch of our route.
2. Work out approximately how many days it would take us to accomplish this route.
3. Work out the rough estimates for this route.
4. Work out possible hotel stay, sightseeing trips, etc. during this route.

After this 4-fold initial groundwork well in advance, I normally go to Phase 2 -- check out the road conditions and other ground realities. This is generally done about a month ahead of our holiday.

Planning well in advance gives us a better chance to modify a route if necessary and to work out the best places to stay/visit, etc.

Mysore is indeed a must-visit place for us, give the many lovely places in the city. We can easily change our date of visit to avoid the peak tourist flow, but we we hoping to catch a breathtaking glimpse of the palace lit up during Dussehra.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Mysore is indeed a must-visit place for us, give the many lovely places in the city. We can easily change our date of visit to avoid the peak tourist flow, but we we hoping to catch a breathtaking glimpse of the palace lit up during Dussehra.
The palace is lit everyday for 45 minutes between 7 to 8 pm during Dasara for 1-2 months. But the Dasara procession happens on Oct 8th which is the main crowd puller. People come from far and near for witnessing the Jumbu savari and hence all the tourist places are crowded around this day.
Go ahead and make your plans, you can mail me for any details.

BTW when is the right time to visit GOA...
Old 18th October 2012, 13:32   #14

Hello bhpians,
I am doing a Mysore- Mangalore trip this weekend on my Linea. So, How is the road condition between Mysore and Mangalore?
Which Route should I take?
Mysore- Hassan- Mangalore
OR
Mysore- Madikeri- Sulia- Puttur- Mangalore
OR
Any other better route if you have in mind?
Please give me an insight on the better route to take giving a priority to present Road conditions.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool View Post
Hello bhpians,
I am doing a Mysore- Mangalore trip this weekend on my Linea. So, How is the road condition between Mysore and Mangalore?
Which Route should I take?
Mysore- Hassan- Mangalore
OR
Mysore- Madikeri- Sulia- Puttur- Mangalore
OR
Any other better route if you have in mind?
Please give me an insight on the better route to take giving a priority to present Road conditions.
Hi Turbo, can you tell me what your experience was ? I'm planning a trip the other way Mangalore - Mysore at the end of this month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks