Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 17:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay in the Red Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Is there an alternate to the Narmada bridge? I am discounting the old iron bridge and thinking about going towards Walia or Jhagadia and crossing the Narmada at a less crowded location and then rejoining the NH 8 near Baroda or if possible proceed directly towards Udaipur etc.
There are no other bridges across the River Narmada.
The best alternative route is to go through the towns of Ankleshwar and Bharuch over the old bridge.
Old 25th December 2010, 18:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

Issigonis called at 1745 hrs. from the midway at Behror. He should be at Manesar by dinner time. Reported very heavy truck traffic all the way after Jaipur bypass.
Old 25th December 2010, 20:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is disturbing and like clockwork just before my drive back to Bombay. I thought the agitation was restricted to the Bharatpur area this time around. Maybe this is the reason I needed to change my route

deky, what is a good time to start from Jaipur so as to encounter the least amount of truck traffic. On my last run I had to get on to the interior roads and field embankments at Kotputli to get out of a Jam.
Tarun, do not get perturbed and stick to the route. The agitation is mostly restricted to rail routes only and Roads are not much affected. BTW when are you driving back?

While driving to Delhi from Jaipur I prefer leaving Jaipur any time before Noon (1200hrs) Ideally anytime between 0900 hrs till 1200 hrs is ok.

The thing is that Delhi border opens for trucks around 2000hrs, so these truckwallas time themselves accordingly, hence the heavy rush tends to start after 1300hrs.

Also reaching Delhi after 1730 has another disadvantage and that is that all the offices in the NCR region start to close down so more traffic on the roads

Twice last time I have left home (Jaipur) at 0930 hrs and managed Delhi in a driving time of 4 hrs 15 mnts. The usual bottle necks of Shahpura, Kotputli, Behror and Manesar were all clear. Even the tolls had no rush. I could actually enjoy the drive.

Having said that I living in Jaipur and can manage/afford a start at 0930 hrs but I think those who are coming from Mumbai usually start from Udaipur that day so either they start at 0600hrs from Udaipur to reach Jaipur bypass by 1130 hrs to enjoy the honeymoon OR If they start later I guess then they just try and enjoy the war at the bottlenecks.

Quote:
Issigonis called at 1745 hrs. from the midway at Behror. He should be at Manesar by dinner time. Reported very heavy truck traffic all the way after Jaipur bypass.
I am glad he is stopping at Manesar for a well deserved rest.
Old 25th December 2010, 22:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Tarun, do not get perturbed and stick to the route. The agitation is mostly restricted to rail routes only and Roads are not much affected. BTW when are you driving back?
OK, In Jan itself but I have long pending trip to Jaltarpan before the final run to Bombay.

Quote:
Twice last time I have left home (Jaipur) at 0930 hrs and managed Delhi in a driving time of 4 hrs 15 mnts. The usual bottle necks of Shahpura, Kotputli, Behror and Manesar were all clear. Even the tolls had no rush. I could actually enjoy the drive.
That was the idea when I had stopped over the last time I drove through Jaipur. However the first half of the day spent chitchatting with you and Prashant ensured that it was in the pm when I finally hit the highway Not that I have any regrets, gup shup with friends is time well spent

Quote:
I am glad he is stopping at Manesar for a well deserved rest.
Update : The Red Baron is as of now parked safely at Manesar for the night.
Old 26th December 2010, 16:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

The Red Baron rolled in to NCR last night and this morning it woke up to this season's first serious FOGgy morning. Visibility down to nothing, flights and trains cancelled, traffic ground to a halt and few unfortunate ones bumped into each other and well I slept through it all and also missed talking to Issigonis when he called at 0730 hrs. When we finally spoke at 0930 he had finished refuelling at the HP Club opposite the Hyatt on Ring road.

At the time of posting after having spent a few anxious moments on NH24 mistakenly headed towards Bareilly after Rampur he is back on track ( hvk was that you on the phone guiding him ) and has just crossed Bilaspur on NH87 and is now headed towards Rudrapur.
Old 26th December 2010, 16:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Red Baron rolled in to NCR last night and this morning it woke up to this season's first serious FOGgy morning. Visibility down to nothing, flights and trains cancelled, traffic ground to a halt and few unfortunate ones bumped into each other and well I slept through it all and also missed talking to Issigonis when he called at 0730 hrs. When we finally spoke at 0930 he had finished refuelling at the HP Club opposite the Hyatt on Ring road.

At the time of posting after having spent a few anxious moments on NH24 mistakenly headed towards Bareilly after Rampur he is back on track ( hvk was that you on the phone guiding him ) and has just crossed Bilaspur on NH87 and is now headed towards Rudrapur.
Bhai sahab ji, are you in amchi mumbai or somewhere in the chilly north india.
Old 26th December 2010, 16:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

@IQBAL VEERJI,
I am in Dilli. See if you would be interested in the following meet being planned for 09 January, 2011
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...2010-a-15.html
Old 26th December 2010, 18:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
No, M'Lord, I was also merely a bystander, was tracking him, but did not see him lose his way. I was "rebuking" him for having lost so much of time in Rampur, maybe that is when he lost his way or took a diversion.

Road from Moradabad to Rampur is bad.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:43   #54
BHPian

Got the chance to meet Issigonis in Udaipur on 25th December. The meeting was short as he was on the way to Manesar and I didn't want to kill his valuable time. He is the first BHPian whom I met. My hats of to Issigonis for his fantastic journey and hvk sir, khoj, deky and all other for keeping such a close eye on his journey and providing valuable guidance.
Old 28th December 2010, 02:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, M'Lord, I was also merely a bystander, was tracking him, but did not see him lose his way. I was "rebuking" him for having lost so much of time in Rampur, maybe that is when he lost his way or took a diversion.

Road from Moradabad to Rampur is bad.
Yes hvkumar, it could be a diversion as latitude initially showed him on NH24 then along a railtrack and by the time I picked up the phone to talk to him the update had him back on track. Earlier today he wholeheartedly agreed with your assessment of Rampur. In his words " Avoid Rampur like the plague" I believe his return route will certainly be a different one maybe via Kashipur like you explained to me yesterday over phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Got the chance to meet Issigonis in Udaipur on 25th December. He is the first BHPian whom I met.
Hi Topolino,
You are in a unique location as in you can have a meet every time a Tbhpian rolls through the town and that can be a whole lot
Were you driving the 1100 when you met Issigonis, I cannot recall if he only said that you have one or did he say that you drove in it to the place where you guys met. Any chances of uploading your Fiat(s) photos in your garage on the forum to enable us to enjoy the beauties.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:35   #56
BHPian

I am back in Delhi after a short but very enjoyable trip to Ranikhet. I seemed to have left Delhi just in the nick of time before the fog struck (left at 4 AM on 25th Dec). Enjoyed a relaxed and pleasant drive till Ranikhet and was greeted by some wonderful winter sun at Ranikhet. Spent two days resting leisurely at West View Hotel in Ranikhet before turning back towards Delhi, reaching last night at approx 11 PM. How I wish I should have stayed back??

Took this route from Delhi - Ranikhet:
Delhi - Hapur - Moradabad bypass - Thakurdwara - Kashipur - Ramnagar - Kaladhungi - Nainital - Ranikhet (9.5 hrs)

From Ranikhet - Delhi:
Ranikhet - Ganiadeoli - Tarikhet - Sauni - Machhor - Totam - Kumeria - Ramnagar (through Corbett WLS on NH-121) - Kashipur - Thakurdwara - Moradabad bypass - Hapur - Delhi (10 hrs)

My Garmin nuvi 750 was a great help with Satguide maps loaded and it flawlessly guided us throughout except the stretch between Ranikhet and Ramnagar through NH-121 (on the return journey). Fortunately for us, there was only one road there so we weren't unduly worried.

The roads were pretty good almost 99% of the way. so no issues there. We made pretty good times considering we had two small kids on board (2 years each), so frequent breaks were the order of the day. The only place we found any sort of traffic obstruction was on the return journey to Delhi after the Hapur bypass on NH-24 (not surprisingly) around 9:30 pm which cost us about 45 minutes of travel time.

Had been exchanging SMS's with issigonis for the last two days to keep abreast of his progress. In fact, I also lost my way and went a good 25-30 kms towards Barreily after missing the left turn at Rampur last December when I was driving to Mukteshwar.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 28th December 2010 at 15:40.
Old 29th December 2010, 12:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:

You are in a unique location as in you can have a meet every time a Tbhpian rolls through the town and that can be a whole lot
Were you driving the 1100 when you met Issigonis, I cannot recall if he only said that you have one or did he say that you drove in it to the place where you guys met. Any chances of uploading your Fiat(s) photos in your garage on the forum to enable us to enjoy the beauties.
I would certainly like to meet every TBHPian passing through the Udaipur. I have FIAT 500 Topolino 1946 Model and Premier Padmini and would soon upload the photos.
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Can some one tell me where is ISSIGONIS at present, there is no report about his present location for a long time. Dear KHOJ bhraji can you help in this matter plsssssssssss.
Old 3rd January 2011, 22:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Can some one tell me where is ISSIGONIS at present, there is no report about his present location for a long time. Dear KHOJ bhraji can you help in this matter plsssssssssss.
He successfully completed the Ranikhet-Corbett circuit and leaves Delhi for the journey back home tomorrow.
Old 3rd January 2011, 22:06   #60
Senior - BHPian

Veerji,

Issigonis is probably in his bed by now. I spoke to him a half hour back and he was settling in to be up early and drive back to Bombay by around 0630 am tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks