Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 21:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 8 days in hand, where in HP?

For those who ahve time in hand there is no issue. For people on a tight time schedule running from one valley to another parallel is often exhaustive hence the advise. Otherwise there is nothing stopping you from covering as much as you want especially in HP but in the rush you often tend to miss quaint spots that would have been more pleasurable than the big rush from one valley to another. Since fine69's idea is more of an idyllic holiday there is no need to rush and more since in winters since crossing over from one watershed to another invariably involves crossing a pass which will covered with snow/ slush thus making it all the more difficult to enjoy the travel.
@fine 69 the plan looks good. What I would suggest is that start from Manali and drive to say Mandi by lunch, visit the Taarna Devi temple, worth a visit and then come and stay at Bilaspur in the evening. If you are non veg then you can have some fresh fish for dinner. Next day start from Bilaspur and visit Naina Devi temple on your way to Delhi. The prices sound reasonable. Why would you want to include meals? There are a lot of options in Manali why do you want to get stuck with the Hotel kitchen? But let me see if I can arrange something for around say 500-600 for the room at Manali, food though would be available but let me check an all inclusive price.
Old 11th December 2010, 22:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@fine 69 the plan looks good. What I would suggest is that start from Manali and drive to say Mandi by lunch, visit the Taarna Devi temple, worth a visit and then come and stay at Bilaspur in the evening. If you are non veg then you can have some fresh fish for dinner. Next day start from Bilaspur and visit Naina Devi temple on your way to Delhi. The prices sound reasonable. Why would you want to include meals? There are a lot of options in Manali why do you want to get stuck with the Hotel kitchen? But let me see if I can arrange something for around say 500-600 for the room at Manali, food though would be available but let me check an all inclusive price.
Thanks for the reasoning against 2 watersheds, I agree.
As for accomodation in Manali, I myself don't want to get stuck with Hotel Kitchen but highly doubtful that I'd even get a place to stay in the main market hence opted for HPTDC, meals were already included in the package. However, I'd only be confirming the stay there when I transfer the money to them on Monday. If you can help in arranging anything before Monday afternoon I'd be grateful.

While coming back I think I'd stick to what you advised, lunch at Mandi and stay at Bilaspur. You've been great help mate, really appreciate it.
Old 12th December 2010, 14:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manikaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm not sure what all Manikaran has to offer.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sorry I missed the info request on Manikaran. Its a gurudwara and the hot sulpher springs. Plus its the staging area for the trek to Chotta Darra More than anything I like the drive to Manikaran. Plus enroute you can look at the ridges that host the most isolated villages in HP made famous all over the world for its cream.
Please pm me your number and I shall try to have the room in a hotel in the heart of town for you. Plus you are my namesake too, mate, so am glad I ahve been of any help.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:49   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Now for the Tirthan Manali route, I can't locate Tirthan anywhere on mapmyindia or googlemap, there's a Tirthan Wildlife Sanctuary though, so need more clues here please.

You mentioned Tirthan, Manikaran and then Manali. Will I be following the NH-21 from Chandigarh or do I have to go via Shimla for Tirthan.
Would the Itinerary look something like this?
Day 1: Delhi to Tirthan Valley (is it possible if I start by 5 AM)
Day 2: Tirthan Valley
Day 3: Tirthan Valley to Manikaran (start by noon)
Day 4: Manikaran (What is this place?)
Day 5: Manikaran to Manali (possible to start by noon & reach Manali before sun goes down?)
Day 6: Manali
Day 7: Around Manali?
Day 8: halfway back to Delhi
Day 9: back to Delhi
For Delhi - Tirthan, take NH 1 till Ambala. After the flyover at Ambala Cantt, a fork comes. Take the road on the right, which is the Rajpura Road, and just before (~50m) the toll booth take a right turn. This turn will take you via Banur & Kharar and you'll join NH 21 at Ropar/Rupnagar. Continue on NH 21 (Kiratpur-Bilaspur-Mandi) till you almost hit the huge tunnel at Aut. Now instead of entering the tunnel (which is the route for Kullu-Manali), you carry on straight and soon you'll enter the Tirthan Valley.

For Tirthan-Manali, simply enter the Aut tunnel while driving back from Tirthan and it's a zippy straight drive to Manali. Ummm... after reading the upcoming lines, please don't curse me for playing with your plans. But how about including a day (or two) for checking out Naggar. It's a pretty tranquil hamlet on the opposite side of Manali on the river Beas.

Quote:
My My this thread is getting merrier and merrier. Let me see hmm

@Log: Proximity to Thirthan is just on the maps. You are separated by the mighty ridges and crossing Jalori is well best avoided during peak winters, but a last minute rain check as to snow will be very useful. Karsog is about 6500 mts or so but will ask for exact altitude and will let you know.
Wow bro, this thread is getting a lot more than interesting. Getting to learn, or rather understand things about them mountains. Loved your explanation about the watershed thingy. Will further explore driving options from Karsog to Tirthan as you've just made it sound very interesting, and of course will hope for your inputs on the same.

About Karsog, I hope it's not 6500 mts! Just kidding, I know it's a typo.

Quote:
@log on second thoughts have you been to the Ropa Valley? Its the place to be if you dont mind the bitter winter, lol.
Me Snowfoot, me loves those sweet bitter winters.
By Ropa valley, do you mean the one in Kinnaur? If so, never been there I guess. Deepest I went in Kinnaur was till Sumdo. But hey, will the route to the valley be open in Dec end or Jan mid?

Last edited by lordofgondor : 13th December 2010 at 13:51. Reason: correcting spelling mistake
Old 13th December 2010, 14:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
For Delhi - Tirthan, take NH 1 till Ambala. After the flyover at Ambala Cantt, a fork comes. Take the road on the right, which is the Rajpura Road, and just before (~50m) the toll booth take a right turn. This turn will take you via Banur & Kharar and you'll join NH 21 at Ropar/Rupnagar.
This I understood.

Quote:
Continue on NH 21 (Kiratpur-Bilaspur-Mandi) till you almost hit the huge tunnel at Aut. Now instead of entering the tunnel (which is the route for Kullu-Manali), you carry on straight and soon you'll enter the Tirthan Valley.
Is below the route, the one which has places highlighted, that I'd be taking?
8 days in hand, where in HP?-capture.png

Is this route doable in 11-12 hours? Where exactly is the Riverside Resorts in Tirthan Valley?
Quote:
But how about including a day (or two) for checking out Naggar. It's a pretty tranquil hamlet on the opposite side of Manali on the river Beas.
Already stretched the plan from 8 to 9 days and now 1 more day!! Well since the plan is to spend a minimum of 2 days in Manali I guess it can be given a try. Would Rohtang Pass be open at that time by any chance? If it is I don't think I could go to all the places.
Old 13th December 2010, 15:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

@log it was typo for sure. I should desist writing late in the nights during winters, lol Yes its about 4500 feet on an average. Ropa is as in Kinaaur and would be open during the period in question. It would however be more convenient if your are self reliant with a tent in case of any exigencies in reaching a fixed roof over your head.
@fine you can do Naggar easily from Manali as a day time picnic. You will have enough on your hands as it is. I dont recommend a drive straight from Delhi to Tirthan though. From Larji you need to go to Dehuri where your resort is. The route and places a s highlighted will take you towards Jalori.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 13th December 2010 at 15:14.
Old 13th December 2010, 15:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Is this route doable in 11-12 hours? Where exactly is the Riverside Resorts in Tirthan Valley?

Already stretched the plan from 8 to 9 days and now 1 more day!! Well since the plan is to spend a minimum of 2 days in Manali I guess it can be given a try. Would Rohtang Pass be open at that time by any chance? If it is I don't think I could go to all the places.
Yup, very much doable in 11-12 hours. But make sure to leave latest by 5 AM from Delhi and earlier if possible. The early morning fog can slow down your progress. Lets hope there's minimal fog during those days. Check the image below for a rough map to river side resorts.

8 days in hand, where in HP?-riversideresort.jpg

When you get to Deori, the resort will be on your left as your drive. It's a two story building along the river bank and you'll see a small manual cable car thingy between the resort and the road.

I guess you can leave out Naggar from your itinerary for now but it's a place worth visiting in some of your future travels. Or as WN suggested you can make it a day's picnic.

Quote:
@log it was typo for sure. I should desist writing late in the nights during winters, lol Yes its about 4500 feet on an average. Ropa is as in Kinaaur and would be open during the period in question. It would however be more convenient if your are self reliant with a tent in case of any exigencies in reaching a fixed roof over your head.
Hehehe!
So I guess I now need to get ready for a Kinnaur dash cause I just have 4 days for the trip. Also need to buy a tent. But most importantly need to sell this trip plan to wifey!!! Looks tough but let's see.
Old 13th December 2010, 17:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

LOG why bother so much. I think your previous thread onto Rohru- Chirgaon axis is way better. Stick to it mate and include Pujarli, just for the taste of driving on a typical himalayan road.
Old 16th April 2014, 23:00   #55
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am planning a HP trip in for 4N/5D in April end.
I am planning to have my first day stay in Tirthan valley.
Can anyone tell me what are the current road conditions? And how much time will it take to reach tirthan valley from Delhi?
Old 16th April 2014, 23:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Guys,

I am planning a HP trip in for 4N/5D in April end.
I am planning to have my first day stay in Tirthan valley.
Can anyone tell me what are the current road conditions? And how much time will it take to reach tirthan valley from Delhi?
You can reach Tirthan either via Mandi-Aut or Narkhanda-Sainj, the former being the easier route to take.
The problem with the preferred route is that the roads between Kiratpur & BIlaspur are in bad shape. Rest of the roads are good.
You will take all day to reach Tirthan from Delhi.

If you take the route via Shimla-Narkhada, expect to take longer because of the climb up via Jalori Jot, where due to snow-melt roads will be in very bad shape.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 13:35   #57
Team-BHP Support

Driving time from Delhi to Tirthan is around 11-12 hours.
Road condition
Delhi - Kiratpur Sahib (turnoff for manali)
About 5.5 hours driving time. Some bad stretches due to NHAI and SOMA mess
Kiratpur Sahib - Swarghat - Bilaspur(Cement plant) - The hell road.
Cement Plant - Aut - Excellent roads
Aut - Tirthan - About 1.5 hours of driving on moderate roads
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 09:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The problem with the preferred route is that the roads between Kiratpur & BIlaspur are in bad shape....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Kiratpur Sahib - Swarghat - Bilaspur(Cement plant) - The hell road...
How about instead of taking left from Ambala, I take Pinjore - Nalagarh - Swarghat (NH 21A)? That would save me the Kiratput-Swarghat bad stretch but I do not know about the current condition of NH21 A.

Also, I am planning a 6 day trip to manali,

Day1: Leave delhi at 5:00 AM & reach kullu by 7 PM & stay overnight in Kullu.
Day2: Morning sight seeing in Kullu & then reach Solang Valley.
Day3: Drive to Rohtang pass in the morning & back by afternoon.
Day4: Sight seeing in Manali & reach tirthan valley.
Day5: Relax in tirthan valley.
Day6: Back to Delhi.

Does this trip itinerary seem doable? Any suggestions are most welcome.
Old 18th April 2014, 09:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
How about instead of taking left from Ambala, I take Pinjore - Nalagarh - Swarghat (NH 21A)? That would save me the Kiratput-Swarghat bad stretch but I do not know about the current condition of NH21 A.
Pinjore-Nalagarh-Swarghat is carefully preserved - all its pot holes, without missing even one of them
Stick to the route via Kiratpur-Bilaspur

Quote:
Also, I am planning a 6 day trip to manali,

Day1: Leave delhi at 5:00 AM & reach kullu by 7 PM & stay overnight in Kullu.
Day2: Morning sight seeing in Kullu & then reach Solang Valley.
Day3: Drive to Rohtang pass in the morning & back by afternoon.
Day4: Sight seeing in Manali & reach tirthan valley.
Day5: Relax in tirthan valley.
Day6: Back to Delhi.

Does this trip itinerary seem doable? Any suggestions are most welcome.
I would try to reach Tirthan Valley on Day 4 itself since it is only a 3 hour drive from Manali.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 09:33   #60
Team-BHP Support

Why stay over in kullu just 1.5 hours from MAnali. Go all the way to Manali. Nothing much to sight see in kullu
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks