Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 15:23   #571
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
+1

This by-pass (although it is in mess) will lead you to Kumbakonam-Mayiladuthurai(mayavaram) road T junction. In that take left and in another 100 meters, you will see another by-pass on right side. Take that by-pass which drive towards next 4 road junction (small roundabout), in which you again take left to go towards Thirunageswaram.

I assume you may be going for temple visit - If yes, have great darshan of Oppiliappan and may be Raghusthalam

-Ravi
Thank you... You have nailed my itinerary. I Will plan this. Let me try the return trip via Anaikarai. Is there any local route from GST road to join Ulundurpet - Virudhachalam road without entering into Ulundurpet or before reaching Ulundupet/Senguruchi Toll Gate?

Yieldway has suggested the Mangalampettai - Elasavanur route, but I suspect that is a bit of a detour.
Old 29th July 2021, 00:40   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Thank you... You have nailed my itinerary. I Will plan this. Let me try the return trip via Anaikarai. Is there any local route from GST road to join Ulundurpet - Virudhachalam road without entering into Ulundurpet or before reaching Ulundupet/Senguruchi Toll Gate?

Yieldway has suggested the Mangalampettai - Elasavanur route, but I suspect that is a bit of a detour.
Haha, Oppiliappan perumal is my family (ancestral) god, so i can make out. Moreover, we both have EcoSport TDCI - so liked minded thinking - LOL -

Please note, the temple is opening nowadays at 7.30 AM due to covid restrictions. So check with locals and plan accordingly.

From GST road, suggest you don't join Ulundurpet - Vridhachalam. The 20 kms from Ulundurpet to Vridhachalam is more traffic and slower and worst part is you have to enter and exit both Ulundurpet and Vridhachalam towns. You are far better off to take veppur route which is shorter in time.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 29th July 2021 at 00:42.
Old 30th July 2021, 08:55   #573
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From GST road, suggest you don't join Ulundurpet - Vridhachalam.
-Ravi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I wouldn’t recommend T.Palur route over Anaikarai route in general. The T.Palur road is very narrow and full of speed breakers. And also sand and construction trucks are plenty driving dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
T. Palur route is doable. As Yieldway mentions, there are innumerable speed breakers. You can see update from January in the previous page.
To avoid the weekend rush in temples, I made the trip yesterday.

- Started at 5.45 am and reached Thirunageswaram at 11 am sharp with a 15 min break for Tea. Skipped breakfast due to shortened temple timings. Most of the temples are open from 7.30 am to 12.00 pm.

- Had to purchase flowers/garlands at Vridhachalam and entered Ulundurpet and continued this stretch (Virudhachalam - Jayamkondam - T- Palur - KKN Bye-Pass - KKN-MYM Road -Karaikal Road) to reach Thirunageswaram. The town traffic/chaos was not there and I was able to manage Ulundurpet & Virudhachalam towns with few gear changes. Total Kms: 285

- There are 62-speed breakers (+ or - 1 or 2) from Ulundurpet (31 pair of speed breakers with the first one starting in front of Tamilnadu Transport Corporation depot at Ulundurpet and the last one is between the Madhanathur - KKN Bye-pass)

- The entire stretch is doable and roads are better and no surprise potholes.

-T-Palur is convenient to drive as one need not think about the road diversions but will become horrible if you have trucks going in front (overtaking is a challenge). The stretch between Madhanathur - KKM bye-pass is narrow and two-wheeler menace is there in the morning. There were many speed breakers created while widening the small culverts and was not removed till now add more discomfort.

- While returning, I took Anaikarai and reached Jayamkondam. Except for the diversion work, the road is good and definitely a time saver. To avoid any bit of ambiguity, the Anaikarai route is better than T-Palur and I too recommend this

- The road relaying is going on between the GKC and Anaikarai Junction and expected to be completed in a weeks time.

- While returning, I was forced to go inside Virudhachalam to purchase the local brinjals & veggies. I missed the Elasavanur road and noticed one Government Jeep which was coming close behind took left opposite to the Police check-post, but I was able to join the GST road very comfortably after the underpass at Ulundurpet by taking the service road. After joining the GST road, I saw the same Govt jeep coming behind. The ROB on the GST road is exactly 5.2 km from the Ulundurpet/Senguruchi Toll plaza and has both entry and exit to join the Virudhachalam road. This will save 26 km than the Veppur - Virudhachalam bye-pass. (Pl note to cross Virudhachalam town).

- Very true, the KKM bye-pass is going to be a mess for few years to come as pointed by all.

- Reached home at 9 pm covering exactly 594 km with a visit to Nachiar Kovil & Madhuranthakam temple while coming back. Traffic on the NH and on the local roads have become normal and expect a surge during weekends.

Thank you all for keeping this thread with valuable inputs and you are true that once the original vadalur road is widened, this thread will find its natural close. Also, almost all cars choose this Ulundurpet-JYK route to reach KKM.
RGK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 16:34   #574
BHPian

Some recent updates on road conditions from my trip last week, particularly the bad sections:

1: B.Mutlur - Chidambaram: worsened. road construction happening.

2: Chidambaram bypass: this is about the road that comes first which goes to Bhuvanagiri and where you take left to join the bypass. it is horrible. instead continue straight and take the next right to join the bypass.

3: Vaitheeswarankoil - Mayiladuthurai: Potholes have popped out and speed decreases.

4: Mayiladuthurai - Thiruvarur: Road is not in great shape. surface is not even at many places.

5: Thiruvarur - Thiruthuraipoondi: Great condition except for culvert construction at 3 places. hence you get stuck and traffic is allowed on one side of the road near this culvert's.
venki.bala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 18:39   #575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Some recent updates on road conditions from my trip last week, particularly the bad sections:
Great updates! Some roads south of Mayavaram are not heavy in being used. But some amazing temples in these locations. Hope these roads retain their stature.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:43   #576

I will be travelling with family from Bangalore to Kumbakonam later this week. My plan is to halt the night in Kumbakonam (Indeco Swamimalai) and then the next day drive from Kumbakonam to Vaitheeswaran Kovil (VK), and from there to Thirunallar and come back to Kumbakonam in the same day.
My plan (and questions).

Kumbakonam to Vaitheeswaran Kovil

To go to VK from Kumbakonam, there seem to be two routes parallel to each other
- one to the north of the Kaveri (Kumbakonam => Thirumangalagudi => Thirumannacheri => Mayiladuthurai => VK)
and
- one to the south (Kumbakonam => Thiruvadaimaruthur => Aduthurai => Mayiladuthurai => VK). Which one should I take?

Google also shows me a route via Thiruppanandal to VK (my starting point would be Indeco Swamimalai). In fact, this is the primary route it shows. The last time I followed Google, I had to drive through narrow pothole filled roads interspersed with village markets that did not have space for a bike let alone a car to pass through. Be glad if someone weighs in.

VK to Thirunallar

Is this route ok to get to Thirunallar from VK? VK => Thirukadaiyur => Tharangambadi => Karaikal => Thirunallar.

Thirunallar to Kumbakonam

Is the road from Thirunallar to Kumbakonam in any decent shape because would be coming back later in the evening? And then from thirunallar I can see a route back to Kumbakonam - Thirunallar => Peralam => Thirunageswaram => Swamimalai.

I could always halt a night in VK if it make it easier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 20th October 2021, 14:12   #577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikva View Post
I will be travelling with family from Bangalore to Kumbakonam later this week. My plan is to halt the night in Kumbakonam (Indeco Swamimalai) and then the next day drive from Kumbakonam to Vaitheeswaran Kovil (VK), and from there to Thirunallar and come back to Kumbakonam in the same day.
My plan (and questions).
Indeco is an awesome place and has great food. You should definitely check it out.

Quote:
(Kumbakonam => Thiruvadaimaruthur => Aduthurai => Mayiladuthurai => VK). Which one should I take?
KMU-VK is the highway twisty old NH45C via Mayavaram. Not sure of the route via Thirupandal. If you early morning from KMU you can easily make it past Mayavaram to VK.

Quote:
Google also shows me a route via Thiruppanandal to VK (my starting point would be Indeco Swamimalai).
Indeco start basically means you get to the KMU bypass circle. Like I said Thirupandal seems like a nice option and this also bypass Mayavaram. But I dont know about its condition.

Quote:
Is this route ok to get to Thirunallar from VK? VK => Thirukadaiyur => Tharangambadi => Karaikal => Thirunallar.
This is the standard route. You can also visit Budhastalam (thiruvenkadu) and Ketu sthalam (Kezhaperumbalam) on the way.

Quote:
Is the road from Thirunallar to Kumbakonam in any decent shape because would be coming back later in the evening? And then from thirunallar I can see a route back to Kumbakonam - Thirunallar => Peralam => Thirunageswaram => Swamimalai.
Thats a good road and the standard option via Peralam/Thirunageshwaram on to the KMU bypass circle.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 15:04   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can see Venki's update on the Mayavaram route few posts above. I've done this couple of years back. Its an ok route with loads of 2-wheeler traffic all through.

If you are starting from Swamimalai, you'll encounter 4-lane construction on KMU bypass enroute Oppiliappan/Thirunageswaram.

Quote:
VK to Thirunallar
No real choice here. Its one straightforward drive through ECR.

Quote:
I took the Kollumangudi route, all except some 1/2 km road was in good condition. Took 1:20 hrs I remember.
narayans80 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 13:26   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- one to the south (Kumbakonam => Thiruvadaimaruthur => Aduthurai => Mayiladuthurai => VK). Which one should I take?

VK to Thirunallar

I quoted the recommended route.
As ampere mentioned, from KMU stick to Thiruvidaimaruthu route to reach Mayavaram and then to VK. Don't take Tirupanandal route, as there is 4L construction happening that side towards Madras route.

As narayan mentioned, there is not much choice from VK to Thirunallar. Just drive via ECR.

From Thirunallar to KMU, take this route via Eravancheri.

https://goo.gl/maps/S6ZcF7Sa53RGtfyDA

Its narrow village roads, but peaceful scenic, less traffic and good roads (hopefully not damaged in Sep/Oct rains). Do this only in day time though, not after dark.

Don't take Thirunageswaram route, as it is usually not good and heavy in bus and other traffic.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 19:52   #580
BHPian

A trip to delta beckons and anyone know condition of ECR between Pondy-Mayiladuthurai after monsoon?

I know Koliyanur-Panruti-Neyveli-Meensurutti road is in tatters from a recent trip report of someone.

So the option is to go via the trusted Veppur-Jayamkondam-Anaikarai-Kumbakonam Bypass route or to go via the ECR. It will be an early enough start on a weekend so if the road is good maybe ECR is an option I'm worth considering.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 08:14   #581
BHPian

Quote:
A trip to delta beckons and anyone know condition of ECR between Pondy-Mayiladuthurai after monsoon?
It was bad before. It is worse now. I came through this road to Sirkazhi day before yesterday and the stretch between Cuddalore and Sirkazhi outer, nearer to Bhuvanagiri, is in a very bad shape. Will slow you down considerably.

Quote:
So the option is to go via the trusted Veppur-Jayamkondam-Anaikarai-Kumbakonam Bypass route or to go via the ECR. It will be an early enough start on a weekend so if the road is good maybe ECR is an option I'm worth considering.
Former is a better road any day of the week. Avoid ECR at any cost.
arunramaswamy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 23:25   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Avoid ECR at any cost.
+1

Quote:
I drove from Madras to Kumbakonam on 23rd Dec 2021. Took Tindivanam-Villupuram-Veppur-Vridhachalam Bypass-Jayankondam route.

Roads are great till Veppur left turn. NH45 as usual is good. From Veppur to Vridhachalam bypass there are no potholes but too many patches as they filled potholes with tar. So its quite bumpy and rear seat passengers will complain in high speeds. So slow down.
From Vridhachalam bypass to Andimadam to Jayankondam, there are few small potholes, but really nothing big to complain. You just have to reduce the speed and slow down due to minor potholes, speed breakers, village traffic et al which is very normal.

It took me overall 6 hours including 30 minutes break with constant speed of 100 KMPH and i never drove above 100. So from time and driving experience wise, stick to NH45 and avoid ECR. ECR will slow you down and beyond Pondy, its going to be nightmare due to bad roads after extreme heavy rains in last 2 months.

In general, expect average to good roads in SH roads around delta region. Kumbakonam to Mayavaram is also in okay type only and not in great shape. They have just started road widening work from Kumbakonam side and started to demolish the frontline buildings, so it will become more messy over time for next couple of years.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 28th December 2021 at 23:28.
ravib is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 10:17   #583
BHPian

Quote:
+1
I drove from Madras to Kumbakonam on 23rd Dec 2021. Took Tindivanam-Villupuram-Veppur-Vridhachalam Bypass-Jayankondam route.
-Ravi
Yes. Till Vikravandi - Kumbakonam road is ready we have no choice. Recently I read an Article in Times of India that due to issues in Land acquisition the 4 lane maynot be complete in some stretches in Vikravandi - kumbakonam sector. Lets hope whichever section gets completed opens soon for our use.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 11:40   #584
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I did Chennai - Mayavaram - Nagai via ECR and back via Thanjavur - Ariyalur - Chennai on 4th Dec. The ECR is really bad in shape as mentioned by many here.

Mayavaram - KKN was fine. Mayavaram - Nagai is bad, Mayavaram - Alangudi - Manargudi is slightly better. Manargudi - Thanjavur is better. Thanjavur - Perambalur is good. Most of the roads in delta districts have been battered by rain and It is advisable to have a buffer while covering temple visits.

I will be taking the known Ulundurpet -Vridhachalam- Jayamkondam - Anaikarai this week to reach Thirunageswaram.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 09:07   #585
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Did Chennai - Kumbakonam yesterday. Started at 5.15 am and reached KKN at 11.45 with a short visit to Sri Mushnam temple.

Few updates may help others here.

1. The stretch between Ulundurpet to Vriddhachalam (no road between Ulundurpet to Mangalampettai) is being strengthened and widened and is not at all advisable now. The asphalt on top is removed now in many places and one has to slow down.

2. While in return I chose Vriddhachalam bye-pass - Vepur (NH 45 is as usual) is not so great as mentioned by Ravi saab. This Salem connecting road is surely a bumpy one. This will avoid gear changes but not time at present. Do add an extra 27km for the detour as well.

3. One of the positive updates is the development of NH81 (CBE - Chidambaram via Trichy via Ariyalur via Jayamkondam) and the widening is completed from Jayangondam till the Chennai highway, but the work progress is slow on the Chennai Highway till KKN.

Yieldway saab can give real-time updates on the Chennai -KKN highway status.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks