Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2017, 22:32   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
I am going to travel to Kumbakonam with family. It would be of great help if folks can suggest a good route. I also intend to offer prayers at Vaitheeswaran koil enroute. Somehow I am not convinced to take the ECR route as the roads are under development and I prefer the Tindivanam route. Please suggest.
GST Road and a left at Ulundurpet

The roads after that are hit and miss anyway
Old 28th December 2017, 06:55   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
GST Road and a left at Ulundurpet

The roads after that are hit and miss anyway

Okay. Will try that.
Old 28th December 2017, 12:07   #438
BHPian

Quote:
I am going to travel to Kumbakonam with family. It would be of great help if folks can suggest a good route. I also intend to offer prayers at Vaitheeswaran koil enroute. Somehow I am not convinced to take the ECR route as the roads are under development and I prefer the Tindivanam route. Please suggest.
The best road is Chennai - Ulunduperpet - Veppur - Andimadam - Kumbakonam. Map link given below. Except the last stretch which is patchy roads are super. But since you want to cover Vaitheeswaran koil, you cant escape the ECR. you will have to touch it either by going through Viridachlam -Chidambaram road or take vikravandi - Neyveli - sethiyarthoppe -Chidambaram. second option is notorious for bad toads and bridge construction at panruti worsens it. You can take a look at out Tbhp Narayanan's update@ https://www.facebook.com/groups/hvku...5322615319565/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chen...6945!3e0?hl=en
Old 28th December 2017, 13:10   #439
Senior - BHPian

Take the Vridhachalam road for Vaiteeswaran Koil after you have settled into Kumbakonam. That'd be the best option.
Old 28th December 2017, 18:29   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
But since you want to cover Vaitheeswaran koil, you cant escape the ECR. you will have to touch it either by going through Viridachlam -Chidambaram road or take vikravandi - Neyveli - sethiyarthoppe -Chidambaram. second option is notorious for bad toads and bridge construction at panruti worsens it.

I am traveling with a baby so smooth roads as much as possible are expected though I will be at reasonable speeds. I will look at the first option.

Quote:
Take the Vridhachalam road for Vaiteeswaran Koil after you have settled into Kumbakonam. That'd be the best option.

Do you suggest I visit Vaitheeswarankoil on the return lap or reach Kumbakonam and then return to visit the Vaitheeswarankoil?
Old 28th December 2017, 19:51   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you suggest I visit Vaitheeswarankoil on the return lap or reach Kumbakonam and then return to visit the Vaitheeswarankoil?
Reach KMU, go to Vaitheeswaran Koil and return to Chennai via the ECR.

It is a tolerable route if you’re leaving KMU early in the morning. Winding single lane roads so drive cautiously.
Old 28th December 2017, 22:02   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am traveling with a baby so smooth roads as much as possible are expected though I will be at reasonable speeds. I will look at the first option.
Quote:
I am going to travel to Kumbakonam with family...I also intend to offer prayers at Vaitheeswaran koil enroute.
To/From Vaitheeswaran Koil take this route. I took it on 30 October for my return from Sirkazhi post sundown, so its worth taking even if you are driving under lights. The section wise update is on post 433 in the previous page.

For KMU its beyond doubt Madras-Veppur-Vriddachalam-Jayamkondam-T Palur-Kumbakonam.

Last edited by narayans80 : 28th December 2017 at 22:04.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 22:16   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Reach KMU, go to Vaitheeswaran Koil and return to Chennai via the ECR.

It is a tolerable route if you’re leaving KMU early in the morning. Winding single lane roads so drive cautiously.

Good idea. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
For KMU its beyond doubt Madras-Veppur-Vriddachalam-Jayamkondam-T Palur-Kumbakonam.

Thank you very much for your inputs.

Apple maps not supported in India certainly took me by surprise. The support seriously recommended google maps and they aren't sure of the TAT. Too bad 👎

I have downloaded map my India application instead.
Old 5th January 2018, 15:56   #444
BHPian

Hi all,

Did Kumbakonam - Pondy during the new year weekend. Though this is not the exact forum, I felt a couple of observations could be useful:

1. Anaikkarai bridge is functional - but traffic is regulated (One direction at one point of time and even a couple of buses appeared to be plying)
2. Halfway between Meensurutty and Sethiathope, we encountered huge potholes all the way till Vadalur - This stretch is in terrible state and best avoided
3. Vadalur - Kurunjipadi - Cuddalore stretch appears to have been relaid recently and is in excellent shape
4. Cuddalore - Pondy: It appears that the road has been slightly widened and relaid but the heavy traffic was very tiring

Also I checked with the Jayankodam Additional Divisional Engineer - Highways on the status of the Anaikkarai bridge before leaving Kumbakonam.
Phone number can be found on the Ariyalur district website http://ariyalur.nic.in/public/TelephoneDirectory.htm

Last edited by ns94 : 5th January 2018 at 16:00.
ns94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 01:42   #445
BHPian

Good news for people who take the Panruti route. The flyover which was under construction for past couple of years is open now and don't have to take crazy detours inside the town anymore. It's a very recent development it appears as it was not open couple of weeks back. Only if the roads get better around these parts.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:13   #446
Senior - BHPian

Came back from Mayiladuthurai via T.Palur, Jayamkondam Vriddachalam, Ulundurpettai, Villupuram, Thiruporur, Nemeli route to Thiruvanmiyur.

Roads till T.Palur are very sketchy. But post Jayamkondam, it was smooth sailing. The maps didn't let me through Veppur though and I took a right turn soon after I came on the main road post taking a left turn towards Veppur road. It crisscrossed through Vriddachalam town and let me through some small towns to join the Villupuram Chennai Highway. I suppose it was some 30+ kilometers before Villupuram.

I didn't intend on taking this route but it was showing that the other route was an hour more to navigate, hence decided going with this route. The roads were standard town affair but the traffic wasn't an issue.

I would advise against taking the Nemeli road though. The road itself is very small and there are a lot of potholes. Had to encounter a few lorries as well from the opposite side. It was a tiring experience finishing that stretch. The ECR though was a delight till I hit the city traffic.

Overall, the best route for some one who wants to avoid the ECR.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 15:55   #447
BHPian

Hi All- I had a round trip done from Chennai to Kumbakonam on 30th March. My intended plans was to visit 3-4 temples and return back same day. I had left my home in T.Nagar at 4.45 AM and picked my friend at 5 AM in Thiruvanmiyur. We took the ECR route till Sholinganallur and then connected to OMR and connected to Chengalpet post Thiruporur.

From Chengalpet we took the route till Ulundurpet and then took the left to Vridhachalam- Jayamkondan- T.Palur and reached Thirukarugavur temple at 10.15 AM. The roads till Jayamkondan is excellent and post that it deteriorates and slows you down considerably.

Post darshan in temple, we proceeded to Swamimalai at 1.30 PM and luckily the temple was open as it was an auspicious day. Post darshan left to kumbakonam and finished lunch. Started at 4 PM back to chennai taking the same route and reached home at 10 PM.

I will recommend the above route to anyone who wishes to visit Kumbakonam and avoid ECR as it is leads to a tiresome journey.

Note- I had gone through the previous posts on this route and this helped me to finalize this route. Initially I was thinking the quickest way to travel is via ECR and TBHP saved me from a tiresome journey !! Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by Ananthc : 2nd April 2018 at 15:56.
Ananthc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 08:56   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Came back from Mayiladuthurai via T.Palur, Jayamkondam Vriddachalam, Ulundurpettai, Villupuram, Thiruporur, Nemeli route to Thiruvanmiyur.
If your start point was Mayiladuthurai. The ideal route would have been Mayiladuthurai-Vaitheeswaran Koil-Sirkali-Chidambaram-Alapakkam-MDR 199-Kullanchavadi-MDR 199-Take right on new NH36 (Neyveli-Panruti road) - Panruti - SH9 - Madapattu - GST Road

There will be heavy traffic until Vaitheeswaran Koil beyond which it eases out on the ECR. Roads are in very good condition, except for a 1/4 km stretch north of Chidambaram bypass on ECR. I had done this in November, recommended a friend just 2 weeks back and he too has confirmed it is holding up well.

It joins GST Road 20 km south of Villupuram

This route works if your destination is on ECR, but want to avoid the Pondy-Cuddalore stretch.
--
The Veppur-Vriddachalam bypass road is in pristine condition, drove through that in Feb. GMaps did warn me too about 40 min extra, but then I take sadistic pleasure in making GMaps cry

The Vriddachalam bypass point is approximately 46-48 km from Ulundurpet bypass via Veppur (which is at 226th km milestone) and takes maximum 30-35 mins.
--
In another news Vikravandi-Panruti-Neyveli-Vadalur-KMU is being 4-laned and will hopefully will complete by the time my son starts driving. The bridge construction at Panruti town however is over.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:23   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your start point was Mayiladuthurai. The ideal route would have been Mayiladuthurai-Vaitheeswaran Koil-Sirkali-Chidambaram-Alapakkam-MDR 199-Kullanchavadi-MDR 199-Take right on new NH36 (Neyveli-Panruti road) - Panruti - SH9 - Madapattu - GST Road
This is something totally new for me. If you don't mind, could you map it on Google Maps and give me the link. Or maybe a screenshot from the timeline of your Google Maps app?

Quote:
I had done this in November, recommended a friend just 2 weeks back and he too has confirmed it is holding up well. It joins GST Road 20 km south of Villupuram

This route works if your destination is on ECR, but want to avoid the Pondy-Cuddalore stretch.
--
The Veppur-Vriddachalam bypass road is in pristine condition, drove through that in Feb. GMaps did warn me too about 40 min extra, but then I take sadistic pleasure in making GMaps cry
I think this would work for me. Only catch is how bad the roads are till you join the NH. The route I mentioned is OK till Jayamkondam and then works out pretty well. I live on the ECR but I don't like the two laned roads much. Prefer the 4 lane ones any day. I would have taken the Veppur bypass. I had traveled that road in the morning. But the estimated time difference was too much to ignore and hence decided to route through the towns to get to the GST.
Attached Images

Old 3rd April 2018, 13:19   #450
BHPian

Yes.. I was the "friend" who tried the route mentioned by Narayanan. Roads are very good. this route is recommended only if you want to avoid the traffic madness from Pondy - Cuddalore - Chidambaram. reduces the stress levels due to traffic very much. traffic is very high between vaiteeswaran koil and mayiladuthurai. As Narayanan mentioned i was shocked to see some work has started on the widening of NH36 with treees removed and in some stretched sand has been laid for the additional 2 lanes. The ROB in panruti is ready and 2 wheelers are allowed to use now. Atleast will be worth a try when his son drives to kumbakonam and he sits behind and enjoy :-)

Quote:

There will be heavy traffic until Vaitheeswaran Koil beyond which it eases out on the ECR. Roads are in very good condition, except for a 1/4 km stretch north of Chidambaram bypass on ECR. I had done this in November, recommended a friend just 2 weeks back and he too has confirmed it is holding up well.

It joins GST Road 20 km south of Villupuram

--

The Vriddachalam bypass point is approximately 46-48 km from Ulundurpet bypass via Veppur (which is at 226th km milestone) and takes maximum 30-35 mins.
--
In another news Vikravandi-Panruti-Neyveli-Vadalur-KMU is being 4-laned and will hopefully will complete by the time my son starts driving. The bridge construction at Panruti town however is over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks