Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2024, 19:22   #751
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Here is an update for the route between Vridhachalam Byepass and Kumbakonam :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5712288 (Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries)
Aerobat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 14:54   #752
BHPian

I did a quick dash my native village over the weekend. Took Perambalur - Ariyalur - Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Native. Roads are all awesome particularly the Thanjavur - Mannargudi section. Excellent , freshly widened, new tarmac, takes just 20 - 25 mins. Return took Kottur - Koothanallur - Tiruvarur - Peralam - Mayiladuthurai - Nidur - Kattumanarkovil - Sethiyathope - Vridachalam - Ulundurpet - Chennai. Thiruvarur - Mayiladuthurai section is at its worst condition. Road widening is in full swing, dug up on both side's with heavy traffic. as of now Mayiladuthurai - nidur - Manalmedu - Kattumannarkovil - Sethiyathope - Vridachalam - Ulundurpet is the best option till ECR 4 laning is complete. Good roads, no traffic occasional speed breakers.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 06:37   #753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
I did a quick dash my native village over the weekend. Took Perambalur - Ariyalur - Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Native. Roads are all awesome particularly the Thanjavur - Mannargudi section. Excellent , freshly widened, new tarmac, takes just 20 - 25 mins.
We were some where close to this. Like you said : Tanjore-Mannargudi is brilliant. We also Mannargudi-Nidamangalam-Alangudi-Kumbakonam.
The Nidamangalam bypass is near complete. I guess should be operational soon.

Quote:
Return took Kottur - Koothanallur - Tiruvarur - Peralam - Mayiladuthurai - Nidur - Kattumanarkovil - Sethiyathope - Vridachalam - Ulundurpet - Chennai. Thiruvarur - Mayiladuthurai section is at its worst condition. Road widening is in full swing, dug up on both side's with heavy traffic. as of now Mayiladuthurai - nidur - Manalmedu - Kattumannarkovil - Sethiyathope - Vridachalam - Ulundurpet is the best option till ECR 4 laning is complete. Good roads, no traffic occasional speed breakers.
Instead of GST we tried ECR to Chennai. And it was slightly stressful, but I found it better especially entering Chennai. We did Anaikarai-Sethiyarthope-Vadalur-Cuddalore-Pondicherry-Mahabs-Chennai. Since I had to reach close to ECR I found this much easier and on a holiday traffic was near nonexistent unlike the usual ECR traffic. Also like member @yieldway mentioned, we also did the OTR of using the new bridge on Vellar and then entering Sethiyarthope town. Lots of diversions on the 45C (well new number NH36, I still have trouble remembering this! ) I just hope they finish this soon. It would be great if they can do massive Cuddalore-Pondy bypass for ECR but that remains in doubt thanks to sensitive biosphere north of Pondicherry. Today it's only planned for south of Pondicherry. (Cuddlalore/Villupuram Quadrant)

Last edited by ampere : 18th February 2024 at 06:38.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 17:44   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
We were some where close to this. Like you said : Tanjore-Mannargudi is brilliant. We also Mannargudi-Nidamangalam-Alangudi-Kumbakonam.
The Nidamangalam bypass is near complete. I guess should be operational soon.
Wow Nidamangalam has a bypass How is the road between Nidamangalam and Alangudi. It was a mess when I went last year. have been avoiding this route for same reason.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 05:34   #755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow Nidamangalam has a bypass How is the road between Nidamangalam and Alangudi. It was a mess when I went last year. have been avoiding this route for same reason.
This is the east-west bypass and not north-south.

Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries-screenshot-20240220-5.32.508239am.png

If you are heading to Alangudi from Mannargudi, you still have to endure the railway crossings! The bypass does not help.

Last edited by ampere : 20th February 2024 at 05:35.
Old 20th February 2024, 08:34   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is the east-west bypass and not north-south.

If you are heading to Alangudi from Mannargudi, you still have to endure the railway crossings! The bypass does not help.
Ampere,

Is this possible to bypass the railway gate just in case if it is closed and dont want to get stuck there?
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries-nidamangalam.png  

Old 20th February 2024, 13:58   #757
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere,

Is this possible to bypass the railway gate just in case if it is closed and dont want to get stuck there?
Theoretically yes the route can be taken. But you still have to cover two railway crossings!
Old 26th March 2024, 12:55   #758
BHPian

I am planning a Chennai - Thirukadaiyur trip in April first week. How is the Cuddalore - Chidambaram-Sirkali road condition. If bad, what's the better option
Old 26th March 2024, 13:12   #759
NSN

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I am planning a Chennai - Thirukadaiyur trip in April first week. How is the Cuddalore - Chidambaram-Sirkali road condition. If bad, what's the better option
Cuddalore Chidamabaram first 20 km in bad condition as road work is in progress, after that next stretch is almost complete except for one Road Over Bridge. Toll not started but all in place for toll. This is as on 29-02-23 status
NSN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 13:55   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSN View Post
Cuddalore Chidamabaram first 20 km in bad condition as road work is in progress, after that next stretch is almost complete except for one Road Over Bridge. Toll not started but all in place for toll. This is as on 29-02-23 status
Thank you. I assume it is status as on 29-02-24. The road via Ulundurpet is about 50km longer. If about 20km is bad, probably taking Ulundurpet route is better
Old 8th April 2024, 15:38   #761
BHPian

Drove to Thirukadaiyur and back with in Vaitheeswaran koil on the return leg. The Pondy
- Cuddalore - Chidambaram - Sirkali route is very good except for a few diversions. Cuddalore - Chidambaram - Sirkali stretch is a concrete 4 lane road. There are a few unfinished fly overs but the service roads are also good (unlike Chennai - Kaveripakkam Stretch). Cuddalore - Pondy is as usual. The work is progressing on the ECR beyond Sirkali but as it is mostly good 2 lane road with no divider.
raju2512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 01:40   #762
BHPian

I saw this below update on SSC forum by a user named 'Jayaraman S'.

It was such a surprising news out of nowhere that I still don't believe this. Good things are finally happening for this region.

Quote:
Jayaraman S: SH Seerkazhi-Kumbakonam upgration under CKIC project- Drove in this section last week ( April 1st 2024) . Seerkazhi to Mayiladuthurai portion of upgrading is almost completed, all 90 degree bends are removed with straightened new alignment, road shoulder are paved as well . Pleasant surprise, Vaitheeswarankoil green field bye pass is open. It starts south of V koil before the bus stand and joins exactly at start of seerkazhi bye pass. Good project progress without much noise anywhere. Good job by SH dept..
Also an additional update from the same user on ECR between Cuddalore and Sirkazhi:

Quote:
Jayaraman S: Drove in ECR Cuddalore to seerkazhi stretch last week (1st April 2024). From alappakam ( south of the level cross ) till seekazhi byepass south end sattanathapuram road works are mostly completed and open for traffic.. Small portion of green filed alignment near B mutlur before chidambaram and Vellar bridge connection are WIP. Full chidambaram bye pass (including green fled alignment at the northern end , including all Over bridges is fully open 4 way.. small WIP near vallampadugai in the southern end of bye pass and from there full green filed alignment including koiildam (new bridge) bye passing all en route places joining directly at seerkazhi bye pass is open. seerkazhi on one side ( 2 way traffic allowed). Seerkazhi bye pass with over bridges is also open. Seerkazhi Railway Overbridge one side WIP. Over all from alappakam till sattanathapuram is now 90% open.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 9th April 2024 at 01:45.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 14:40   #763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
It was such a surprising news out of nowhere that I still don't believe this. Good things are finally happening for this region.
Good to see this. Vaitheshwaran Kovil definitely needed a bypass.
Old 9th April 2024, 16:10   #764
BHPian

Guys, have a trip to Vaitheeswaran koil coming up after April 19th (post election in TN).

Please recommend best route from Chennai. Previously driven upto Pondicherry but not further.
Old 10th April 2024, 11:47   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Guys, have a trip to Vaitheeswaran koil coming up after April 19th (post election in TN).

Please recommend best route from Chennai. Previously driven upto Pondicherry but not further.
You have 2 options.

1) If you are ready to take the "painful" Pondy-Cuddalore drive or plan it in odd hours, you can drive via ECR itself. Just be careful in the drive stretch between Mahabalipuram to Pondy.

2) Or else, take Madras-Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-Mangalampettai bypass-Vridhachalam town-Sethiyathoppu-Chidambaram-Vaitheeswaran koil route.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks