Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2023, 11:09   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
GMaps shows *-Vridhachalam bypass-Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram-V.Koil as the faster route. If I add Jayakondam to the route, GMaps shows *-Vridhachalam bypass-Jayakondam-Gangaikonda Cholapuram-Manalmedu-V Koil instead. Is this what you are suggesting instead? Just want to be sure so I key-in the route on app.
My recommendation was for return. When heading to Chidambaram go past Vridhachalam bypass to Sethyarthoppai and there on to Chidambaram.

If the plan is to go to V Koil directly, it may not be bad idea to go via Anaikarai/Mayavram. Simply because Chidambaram/Sirkazi : Roadworks on going. Anyway you have to endure it in the evening when you visit these temples.

Quote:
On another note, my uncle who had visited these temples earlier in Feb mentioned that the Mayiladuthurai-V Koil road was in pretty bad shape. Not sure if this has changed now. But again, this is a small enough stretch in the overall distance, so not too worried
Hardly 10-15 km. I think that should be OK.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 11:40   #347
BHPian

Appreciate your comments and feedback, @ampere, and your recommendations were very helpful. Thank you!

We had a good trip and I have written a short note on our visit at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...idambaram.html (Visiting temples around Kumbakonam and Chidambaram)
vijaykr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 11:32   #348
BHPian

Drove to Kumbakonam on 10 August, route as below :

Bengaluru -Krishnagiri-Salem-Attur-Thalaivasal-Veppur-Sendhurai-Jayankondam-Anaikarai-Kumbakonam

Note :
- I took the Sendhurai detour as I had to meet a relative
- The Sendhurai detour added an extra 15 kms
- Veppur to Sendhurai is mostly narrow roads, but well paved
- Sendhurai to Jayankondam road is broad, well paved, with low traffic and good to drive
- Jayankondam-Anaikarai-Kumbakonam route has several bridges under construction, and diversions are to service roads which are well paved. I did not face any issues
- The wait time at both the old Anaikarai bridges was around 3 minutes each at 2.30 pm

Returned to Bengaluru on 26th August, route as below :

Kumbakonam-Anaikarai-Jayankondam-Vridhachalam Byepass-Veppur-Thalaivasal-Attur-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bengaluru

Note :
- The wait time at both the old Anaikarai bridges was around 2 minutes each at 6.30 am
- Road expansion works are underway between Jayankondam-Vridhachalam Byepass. They are adding extra lanes on either side of the existing carriageway. Some stretches have merging traffic onto a single lane. Some diversions to temporary service roads have been made where bridge construction is under progress. There can be bottlenecks during peak traffic conditions. Please keep this in mind.
- As always, picked up fresh farm vegetables at Thalaivasal market, which is right alongside the NH.
Aerobat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 01:48   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
Drove to Kumbakonam on 10 August, route as below :

Bengaluru -Krishnagiri-Salem-Attur-Thalaivasal-Veppur-Sendhurai-Jayankondam-Anaikarai-Kumbakonam
Thanks for the update. I am heading to thiruvarur end of Sept and gmaps prefers thiruvannamalai route.
Are the road constructions so bad to suggest the thiruvannamalai route?
I prefer taking your route minus the detour ofc. This will be an overnight ride for me. So any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 31st August 2023, 13:42   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Thanks for the update. I am heading to thiruvarur end of Sept and gmaps prefers thiruvannamalai route.
I prefer taking your route minus the detour ofc. This will be an overnight ride for me. So any suggestions are appreciated.
I have an update post pending in this thread for quite few weeks based on my last drive to Kumbakonam which i did in July. I also did almost overnight drive. I will try to do that sometime soon , which is getting delayed due to workload.

To answer your question, Road constructions are NOT that bad for google to suggest Thiruvannamalai route. You can take both the routes.
However, note that Thiruvannamalai route has no good / decent stops after Krishnagiri till you reach Ulundurpet. Whereas regular salem route has enough good stop over options.

I did an almost non-stop drive with just 1 break , so took Thiruvannamalai route, where roads are also good. If you need multiple breaks or traveling with ladies or elderly people, then better stick to salem route.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 13:53   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I have an update post pending in this thread for quite few weeks based on my last drive to Kumbakonam which i did in July. I also did almost overnight drive. I will try to do that sometime soon , which is getting delayed due to workload.

To answer your question, Road constructions are NOT that bad for google to suggest Thiruvannamalai route. You can take both the routes.
However, note that Thiruvannamalai route has no good / decent stops after Krishnagiri till you reach Ulundurpet. Whereas regular salem route has enough good stop over options.

I did an almost non-stop drive with just 1 break , so took Thiruvannamalai route, where roads are also good. If you need multiple breaks or traveling with ladies or elderly people, then better stick to salem route.

-Ravi
Thank you for the detailed information.
I will be leaving late in the evening from bangalore (5-6pm). So would prefer some breaks along the way just in case i feel drowsy etc....
Will stick to the salem route considering i have ladies and elderly travelling with me.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 17:25   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
The road is open to traffic on the existing carriageway, but due to expansion works, there are bottlenecks i.e. merging traffic onto a single lane, construction equipment at work and some unpaved stretches. You will need to slow down on this stretch for safety reasons (approx distance 20 kms). I am not sure of night time traffic density along this construction route.

Last edited by Aerobat : 31st August 2023 at 17:34.
Aerobat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 18:57   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Returned yesterday, back from Cuddalore to Bangalore, started early at 8AM.
Quoting your post here.

This is fantastic news! Now the real option to KMU/Near locations open up via Thiruvannamalai. No more Thoppur Salem.

I just hope Panruti-Vadalur opens up fast in terms of road works. And then we have a working solution! By the way how is this stretch today?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 22:01   #354
BHPian

Team, need your quick advise on this route suggestion by Google Maps for a trip from Bangalore to Kumbakonam Via TV Malai, Thirukovilur, Virudhachalam, Sethiathope, GK Cholapuram. This seems like saving good 30 mins and 40kms less. Is this route advisable for a good road condition drive? Thanks for your responses. My trip this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-bangalore-kmu.jpg  

Last edited by sethu.murali : 31st January 2024 at 22:05.
sethu.murali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 03:16   #355
BHPian

Krishnagiri to TVMalai was a fine 2-lane highway when I last traveled 3-4 months back to Pondicherry.

I have not done the TVMalai to Tirukovilur and beyond to Ulundurpettai for some years now but TN SHs should be mostly fine unless any active construction work is going on. You may explore the Google Maps Street View for conditions.

The route beyond Ulundurpettai till Kumbakonam Bypass is completely fine except for the in-progress bypasses and overpasses and I took the same route from Chennai a month back.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 1st February 2024 at 03:18.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 08:14   #356
BHPian

We did a trip from Bangalore to TV Malai and then Thirukovilur only last week. The highway from Krishnagiri to TV Malai is a 2-lane highway but road condition is good with smooth surface.

Only thing to keep in mind is the # of folks aggressively overtaking on either side. Even when drivers see you on the opposite lane, many of them don't pull out and rush to complete their overtake and cut in front of you. I just slowed down to give them wider margins and where possible/safe, moved left into the shoulder as well

The road from TV Malai to Thirulovilur is a divided 4-lane highway and road looked newer and there wasn't much of note to report.

Keep in mind that the food stops on the TV Malai route are very limited compared to the Salem-Attur route.

Safe travels!
vijaykr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 19:14   #357
BHPian

Update - Did a Bengaluru - Kumbakonam round trip recently.

Bengaluru - Krishnagiri - Salem - Attur - Veppur - Sethiathoppu - Kumbakonam (Return via same route)
430 Kms

- As road expansion works are underway on SH140 (Vridhachalam Byepass - Andimadam - Jayankondam stretch), I took SH70 towards Sethiathoppu. Thanks to BHPians for updates on this route
- SH70 intersection is about 3 kms further, i.e. the next circle on NH532 after the NH532-SH140 intersection circle
- There are some construction activities on this 3 kms stretch, but nothing big to worry about
- SH70 is a well paved 23 kms stretch with no speed breakers or barricades. Since there is habitation all along this stretch, you will encounter some traffic. Watch out for two wheelers suddenly popping up from intersecting roads. I could maintain 80 kmph speed during daytime
- As your turn into Sethiathoppu, you are on NH36. You will encounter town traffic for about 2 kms
- NH36 has construction activities in progress, and hence you will pass through well paved and also service road diversion stretches
- Sethiathoppu to Kumbakonam is a 60 Kms stretch
- Kumbakonam to Sethiathoppu (return leg) has more well paved stretches and comparatively less diversions. At about 7.30 am, I could cover this 60 kms distance in about 1 hour
- Wait time at both the Anaikkarai bridges was less than 5 mins each during daytime(to and fro)
Aerobat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 10:45   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethu.murali View Post
Team, need your quick advise on this route suggestion by Google Maps for a trip from Bangalore to Kumbakonam Via TV Malai, Thirukovilur, Virudhachalam, Sethiathope, GK Cholapuram.
I did my trip as planned and onward through the route suggested by gmaps. However, the worst stretch is from Sethiathope to Kumbakonam as the highways construction is going on leading to many diversions, bad service roads and slowdown of travel considerably. I would not suggest this road for travel to Kumbakonam and I understand that the other road Virudhachallam to Jayamkondam is even more bad due to road widening. For my return I took the following route Kmu-Thiruvaiyaru-Thirumanur-Ariyalur-Perambalur-Thalaivasal-Athur-Salem-Bangalore. The roads are far better except few stretches (Kmu-Kabisthalam and Perambalur bypass). The distance is about 410Kms but the drive is pleasant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks