Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2022, 06:31   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Left home at 5 pm and was at Thirukadaiyur \
I’ll return to Bangalore tomorrow and I see the forecast for even heavier rains. It’s going to be fun. Fingers crossed.
I came here to warn. But you are already in the midst of it

Sirkazhi-Kollidam-Chidambaram is deluged out. Sirkazhi got 450+ mm in 24 hours.

Don't even attempt to return through your onward route.

You may have to get out though Mayavaram. But I don't have the ground situation to help.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 10:18   #317
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Narayans80.

I reached Thirukadaiyur and managed darshan on Friday and then, I must say, I hadn’t seen such rains in decades. I just couldn’t go anywhere else. Somehow remembered Bungalow on the beach and got a great bargain for a walk-in. The noise of rains and the rough sky was very scary, honestly. We were told that most temples will be asked to shut and it indeed was. Around 6 am when we woke up on Saturday, the rains had taken a break. We had a quick shower and left in the same route, but had to do 5-7 water crossings on the state highways. Many homes were destroyed. Many people lost homes over night etc. somehow managed to get away from the coast and got back home at Bangalore by evening, safely. Very very hellish rains. Gosh!
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 13:33   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks! How is the 4-laning of over all ECR coming along? I heard Mahabs-Pondicherry is starting now? What is the over plan to complete Chennai-Kanyakumari? Not sure if it's covered in one full plan.
ECR is three different highways technically - Chennai to Mahabalipuram SH, Mahabalipuram to Pondy NH, and (Villupuram) - Pondy to Nagapattinam NH.

Currently, the Villupuram to Nagapattinam highway as you might have seen between Chidambaram to Sirkazhi is getting 4-laned at a very brisk pace. The work is divided into four packages, and all the four packages are being executed simultaneously. In fact, in a much better pace than the much delayed Vikravandi-Thanjavur highway.

But currently there are no concrete work I know of to extend after Nagapattinam. There was a Bharatmala project to be awarded, don't know the status of it.

Mahabalipuram to Pondy was about to start after land acquisition was completed when I last checked but there was no material change in the ground when I last went by that route 3-4 months back.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 20:45   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
ECR is three different highways technically - Chennai to Mahabalipuram SH, Mahabalipuram to Pondy NH, and (Villupuram) - Pondy to Nagapattinam NH.
Thank you!

That's what I was also trying to find. Lots of update on Madras-Pondicherry and also quite some updates up to Nagapattinam. But there was nothing about anything further south.

My only worry about this section is lots money poured in, and I hope does not get undone by nature's fury. I guess if they can plan Western coastal for a 4-lane, why not this! They should have some good engineering judgement and reasoning for the project.

Last edited by ampere : 13th November 2022 at 20:47.
Old 14th November 2022, 08:42   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
left in the same route, but had to do 5-7 water crossings on the state highways.
You sir are a lucky gent

Now that you are safe and sound at home, you can see the full extent of the damage in Pradeep John's tweets from the 12th.

You just crossed third highest downpour in TN's recorded rain history, Sirkazhi Agro recorded 560 mm in that 11th-12th 830 IST (official Sirkazhi IMD recroded 436 mm), Chidambaram got 330 mm and Bhuvanagiri-Sethiathope all crossing 200 mm.
Old 8th January 2023, 19:15   #321
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Kumbakonam to Bangalore on 5th Jan 2023.

Started at 4 pm from Madathu Theru, near Palakarai and took T.Palur route and reached Bangalore C.V.Raman Nagar at 11.30 pm. I think 6.30 hours drive time is a good timing plus almost 1 hour break in between for dinner. Reached 6.15 pm to Attur A2B, 8.30 pm to Thoppur SaiSangeeth.

Road conditions:
End to End road conditions are Very good, great to excellent overall. No potholes anywhere.

To mention particularly, the road condition from Vridhachalam by-pass to Veppur to V.Koot Road junction is amazing and butter smooth, as they started to operate the toll between Veppur to V.Koot road.
Vridhachalam bypass to Veppur junction is also widened in many places where possible along with nice divider and also a proper U turn sections.

Irritating factors:
1) The usual speed breakers between Kumbakonam -T.Palur-Jayankondam -Aandimadam that slows you down.
2) The most irritating factor now is on & off the 2L road between Thalaivasal to Salem. Historically it was already bad because of abrupt 4L and 2L switch overs and having toll booths only when there is 4L road. The new addition to the irritation is that in the 2L section especially in the bridges, they have kept RED color kones and now it is even more difficult & dangerous too to overtake, even when there is no traffic in opposite direction. This is slowing down the traffic and many vehicles are stuck behind truck/lorry traffic climbing and driving slowly in the 2L sections/bridges.

Overall, these are the two sections apart from the usual two wheeler traffic between Salem to Omalur.

On a side note, on 1st Jan 2023 drove from Madras to Kumbakonam and for that drive from Jayankondam to Kumbakonam took Gangai Konda Cholapuram-Anaikarai route instead of T.Palur route. It is great throughout with no speed breakers and mini diversions for under construction areas, though it is 14 kms more in distance. Timewise, it takes the same 1 hour from Jayankondam to Kumbakonam , but there is a catch. "If and only if" we can pass through Anaikarai without waiting or delay to cross the one-way traffic.

If we get stuck or waiting, it will take easily 20 to 30 minutes waiting. I was lucky to pass through with just 5 minutes waiting so was able to cross Anaikarai one way traffic quickly.

Like ampere says, its a hit or miss. Depends on your luck and the timing. In that sense, i would think for predictability, its okay to drive through T.Palur and speed breakers to ensure we can reach Kumbakonam/Jayankondam in 1 hours time anyday.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 8th January 2023 at 19:24.
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 07:34   #322
BHPian

Recently drove to Trichy - Kumbakonam. You may go to Kumbakonam via Trichy or via T Palur. Salem T Palur Kumbakonam route is better but mostly two lanes with some four lanes (very few) after Salem. If you go via Trichy, Bangalore to Nammakal is four lanes, Nammakal to Trichy two lanes, Trichy to Thajavore four lanes, and Thanjavore to Kumbakoam very bad roads over two lanes.
Old 18th January 2023, 12:50   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thanjavore to Kumbakoam very bad roads over two lanes.
If you have taken the regular route via Ayyampettai from Tanjaore , then it is bad from Tanjore to Kumbakonam, and very frustrating. You should take Tanjore - Saliyamangalam (where we get max 4L options) and take left and go via excellent 2L traffic free road from Saliyamangalam to Thirukarugavur to Papanasam and then rest of the 20 kms is okay (with traffic) but not very bad.

-Ravi
Old 21st February 2023, 12:36   #324

Hi All,
I am planning a solo trip on 23rd feb to Navagraha temple, Palani and back to Bangalore. I have been researching on the route and was able to build this itinerary. please advise if this make sense.

Bengaluru -> Thiruvannamalai -> Vaitheeswaran Koil -> Thiruvenkadu -> Keelaperumpallam -> Thirunallar -> Suriyanar Koil -> Thirulogi -> Thirunageswaram -> Thingalur - Alangudi -> Palani -> Bangalore

https://goo.gl/maps/4NtNcWAT2iGzc29D9

Thank you
Old 21st February 2023, 14:34   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smungara View Post
Bengaluru -> Thiruvannamalai -> Vaitheeswaran Koil -> Thiruvenkadu -> Keelaperumpallam -> Thirunallar -> Suriyanar Koil -> Thirulogi -> Thirunageswaram -> Thingalur - Alangudi -> Palani -> Bangalore
My Suggestion Take Thiruvannamalai out and go directly to Kumbakonam. You can then better plan the Navagraha circuit. During your return if you think you can add another day, stay over night at Tiruvannamalai and come back at leisure to Bangalore.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 08:29   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I am planning a solo trip on 23rd feb to Navagraha temple, Palani and back to Bangalore. I have been researching on the route and was able to build this itinerary. please advise if this make sense.

https://goo.gl/maps/4NtNcWAT2iGzc29D9

Thank you
Onward could be via Salem, Athur, Veppur, Vridachalam and Kumbakonam. Keep Kumbakonam as base and cover all the places over the 2 days may be. On 3rd day start early morning around 6 AM, you can finish Darshan at Tiruvannamalai temple, have lunch and come back to Bangalore. Alangudi alone is going to be an outlier for you. In case you are starting early on Day 1 from Bangalore then possibly you can finish Thingalur and Alangudi that evening after a brief rest at Kumbakonam
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:38   #327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Onward could be via Salem, Athur, Veppur, Vridachalam and Kumbakonam. Keep Kumbakonam as base and cover all the places over the 2 days may be. On 3rd day start early morning around 6 AM, you can finish Darshan at Tiruvannamalai temple, have lunch and come back to Bangalore. Alangudi alone is going to be an outlier for you. In case you are starting early on Day 1 from Bangalore then possibly you can finish Thingalur and Alangudi that evening after a brief rest at Kumbakonam
One solution is :

D1: Go via Trichy/Tanjore. Visit Thingaloor and Alangudi on the way before hitting base at Kumbakonam.

D2: Go anti-clock wise: Start early and finish Thirunallar-Keezaperumpallam-Thiruvengadu and Vaitheeshwaran Kovil before noon and drive back to Kumbakonam. In the evening one can do Suryanaar, Kanjanoor and Thirunagesgwaram.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd February 2023 at 15:16.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 18:27   #328

Thanks everyone,

I did my long waited solo drive on 23rd Feb, I started from Kasturinagar at 5am, all throughout my brain was saying let me go straight to Kumbakoanam and heart was saying let’s not miss Thiruvannamalai. Moment, I reached Krishnagiri automatically turned my Dumma (XUV 500) towards Thiruvannamali, road is very good throughout with very minimal rough stretch as mentioned by other members. I continued on my route plan as mentioned below.
Reached Thiruvannamali at 8.15AM, finished my darshan and had breakfast and started by 9.15AM. The road condition to Vaitheeswaran Koil is good except last 50km stretch which test your patience looking at bad roads, road widening and traffic. Lucky to reach temple by 12.50 just before closing and had a great darshan. Had my lunch at Hotel Sadhabishegamand headed to Thiruvenkadu and reached by 2pm now need to wait for next 2 hours for temple to open, waited in the temple complex under the coconut trees with cool breeze, used this time to explore hotel and booked AVS Imperia in Thirunallar main road. Temple opened little late by 4.30pm, quickly had darshan and started to Keelaperumpallam and then to Thirunallar reached by 6.30pm. Spent quality time in the temple and ended my day at AVS. The hotel is very clean and good.

24th Morning started at 8am after good breakfast at AVS to Suriyanar Koil and it was crowded and took some time for darshan, headed to Sri Agneeswarar Temple, then Thirunageswaram Naganatha Samy Temple Rahu highly crowded looking at the crowd I felt I may not make it to all temples by 1pm. Luckily I was able to finish all temples by 1pm. Took some rest at Thingalur (Chandran temple) for 15 minutes and started to Palani. Could not find good place for lunch, had to adjust with Sweet bun and Dry fruits. On the way stopped for tea and explored hotel to stay at Palani. I was able to get one more very good newly constructed Nakshtra hotel near to temple. I was lucky to have a have Golden chariot and Murgan darshan without much trouble.

25th Morning returned to Bangalore with beautiful memories with my Dumma (XUV 500)

Bengaluru -> Thiruvannamalai -> Vaitheeswaran Koil -> Thiruvenkadu -> Keelaperumpallam -> Thirunallar -> Suriyanar Koil -> Thirulogi -> Thirunageswaram -> Alangudi-> Thingalur - -> Palani -> Bangalore
smungara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 21:57   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bengaluru -> Thiruvannamalai -> Vaitheeswaran Koil -> Thiruvenkadu -> Keelaperumpallam -> Thirunallar -> Suriyanar Koil -> Thirulogi -> Thirunageswaram -> Alangudi-> Thingalur - -> Palani -> Bangalore
If I had known it was solo drive then I would have said, all bets are off! Do you what like! And do what your heart says!

I assumed you would be with family.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 11:49   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If I had known it was solo drive then I would have said, all bets are off! Do you what like! And do what your heart says!

I assumed you would be with family.
I did mention it my solo trip, looks like you missed it.

Thanks so much again. This solo trip was much necessary for me, as last 4 years i went through 5 surgeries and got 2 covid attacks as a return gift when i got discharged from the hospital.

My Daughter's 10th board exams are starting from today and family was not ready for any trip. This December I had a shoulder surgery and recently My Dr said I can drive with limited help from right shoulder. I just wanted to go out and my family was not ready for solo as I cannot even change the tyre if there is a puncture on the way. I convinced them and started .. rest was peaceful and enjoyed a much needed break.
smungara is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks