Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2016, 09:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Pune - Nashik Alternate Route

Hello,
Planning to go to Nashik tomorrow, 13 Aug, from Pune via NH60. Can anyone let me know the road condition and if possible the weather in Nashik. Thanks.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:21   #47
BHPian

I did happen to ride on Nashik to Pune via NH50 recently. It was quite a mixed bag.
From Nashik to Sinnar - I encountered a place where traffic was halted for no real reason by cops. Not sure why they did it but I took this as an opportunity and got done with my lunch on a side dhaba there.

Sinnar to Sangamner is a too-good-to-believe road. Yes, it is a newly laid 4-laned road. All signboards and all things in place. I could not take snaps of it but if that is how the entire Pune-Nashik stretch becomes, I won't be surprised if Pune-Nashik becomes a 3/4 hour long journey.
From Sangamner to Pune was complete nightmare. At each and every village, there was a jam for some or the other reason. Across all the towns midway, there was a queue that wasted at least 15 minutes at each town.

Road surface is completely dug up due to rains. With the 4-laning in progress, I guess there is no focus on the old road surface at all.

Came across 2 points where there was complete and complete water upto 1 feet that made everyone stranded. It happened in a town where only the localite 2 wheelers rode - looking at their movement other cars and vehicles judged the way out.

It is horrible to drive in current conditions and I won't buy any theories of doing this route in 5 hours flat except if it is for a night drive. Forget the time, I am more concerned about the vehicle that you travel as the road surface is in unbelievable tatters at many many places.

Most of the local state highways are far better maintained than this NH50. Fingers crossed till 4-laning work gets done.

For those of you thinking of taking NH3 from Thane, I would like to request you to go through this - my latest experience on the massive choke-up that took place on NH3 near Thane Bhiwandi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4068778
ameyawaghmare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 00:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Latest update is the route from Thane to Kharegaon toll plaza is seeing brisk movement. After the toll, near Anjur phata things may be bad till you cross the junction.

So if you are doing Pune Nashik and want to go the round about way, please use the Shil Kalyan road.
Old 7th November 2016, 09:01   #49
RCD
BHPian

Alternative to the Nashik-Pune road?

Just got back from Nashik last night. Had taken the Nashik-Pune road which took almost 5 hours because of traffic , single lane roads and 4 lane construction work. It is a totally exhausting drive and not one that I want to repeat in the near future. We need to do a repeat trip to Nashik in 2 weeks and my wife refuses to go by the Nashik Pune road.

We both love driving, and typically do the Bangalore-Mumbai drive in about 14 hours inclusive of multiple food stops, so road travel itself is not the issue here.

Looking at Google maps for an alternative to the Nashik-Pune stretch I came up with 2 possible alternatives :

1. Take the usual NH 60 past Sinnar until Gunjalwadi. From there, instead of taking the fork towards Alephata and on to Pune, turn left onto SH 50. The road goes past Sakur, Kanhoor, Parner, Ralegan-Siddhi, Shirur, Loland (SH 61 ) , Wathar before connecting with NH4 at Satara. This has the added advantage of not entering Pune city, and avoiding the 4 laning work on the Pune-Satara stretch as well.

2. From Sinnar turn left towards Shirdi, drive along till Ahmednagar, then turn right and meet previous alternative near Shirur.

A couple of years ago, I had visited Ajanta-Ellora after a Nashik trip and found the state highways quite good to drive on, which makes me think these alternatives may be better to the Nashik-Pune and Pune-Satara mess.

Hoping someone has driven along either of these routes and can advise me what the best alternative will be.

thanks and regards,

RCD
RCD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 12:41   #50
BHPian

re: Alternative to the Nashik-Pune road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD View Post

Hoping someone has driven along either of these routes and can advise me what the best alternative will be.

thanks and regards,

RCD
Most comfortable alternative and "the" preferred route to Nasik from Bangalore or for that matter even Pune, is via Bombay. Bangalore-Pune-Expressway-Bombay-NH3-Nasik

There is a new found good route to bypass Bombay as well, but I am not so sure of the road conditions post monsoons. The route I suggested above is good all the way through. Though it appears circuitous, you will have a good progress through the journey.
vivek95 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 16:42   #51
RCD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Most comfortable alternative and "the" preferred route to Nasik from Bangalore or for that matter even Pune, is via Bombay. Bangalore-Pune-Expressway-Bombay-NH3-Nasik

There is a new found good route to bypass Bombay as well, but I am not so sure of the road conditions post monsoons. The route I suggested above is good all the way through. Though it appears circuitous, you will have a good progress through the journey.
Thanks Vivek,

I know the route via Mumbai-Pune expressway. It may work well for the trip towards Nasik ( in fact it was the route I used to go to Nasik last week ). However, returning along the expressway can also take long as there is often heavy (and slow moving ) truck traffic in the ghat section.

Let me know what the alternative route you mentioned is. I have a Scorpio AT 4WD with AT tyres so am not afraid of a few rough patches.
RCD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 17:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm too would entirely agree with Vivek here. Via Mumbai is the only decent alternative to reach Nashik.

Towards Mumbai, the expressway is also considerably faster as you mostly descend and snarls are way too less on this corridor compared to the one towards Pune.

However, if one returns via Mumbai, the uncertain snarls near Bhiwandi can be a time consuming affair along with crossing of Thane all the way till you hit Panvel.

Again - If one knows how best to bypass Pune towards Nashik from NH4 along with proper timings to drive between Nashik-Pune, I would still consider the direct route via Pune as the better option.

Why I say this?

2 years back, my friend drove a Premier Padmini S1 from Nashik to Bangalore and via Pune. They had started from Nashik at 1830 and were in Pune 2230.

Traffic faced was moderate and not at all high.

And when the same friend had to drive down another Premier Padmini back to Bangalore from Nashik only 2 months back this year, he flew to Mumbai and took a taxi to Nashik. However, this time he was "advised by googlemaps" to take the Mumbai route by default!!

He was confused but knowing how Nashik Pune was during his last drive 2 years before and the fact that he was again leaving from Nashik at 1830, he again decided to return via Pune itself and when I asked him about the experience this time, all he said was "no difference to what it was 2 years back and timings were still the same & traffic was easily bearable".

So, eventually Nashik Pune during certain hours of the day makes sense - very early morning or night.

Crossing Pune as well won't be a time consuming affair if the above criteria is met.

Lastly - "Pune-Satara" is indeed not a mess today. Wherever 6 lane is done, it's bliss. Additional land has certainly made progress faster. The real mess is when one drives at messy hours and messier extended weekends, additional traffic leaving one with an impression that it's really bad.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th November 2016 at 17:22.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 22:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Pune --> Khopoli exit on e-way --> Karjat --> Murbad --> Shahapur --> Nashik
Route update - the bridge on the Kalu river is being repaired so the direct route from Murbad - Shahapur is no longer available and you will have to take a detour via Kinhavali. This adds approximately 20 kms to the distance. I recently traveled to Nashik and as I got closer to the bridge I found out that the bridge is no longer operational. There were no clear warning signs regarding the repair work, or may be I missed them. I had to travel through some rough village roads to join the Kinhavali road and I lost about 45 mins in the process.

If at all you are planning to take the route, the preferred route from Murbad would be: Murbad --> Saralgaon --> Kinhavali --> Shenva --> Shahapur.

Considering the extra time and the distance, I am not sure how much advantage there is in taking the above route. I don't know if the Pune Nashik highway (NH50) is any better now, but it's possibly a safer option at the moment.

Last edited by MandarMax : 7th November 2016 at 22:55.
MandarMax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 22:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vivek,

I know the route via Mumbai-Pune expressway. It may work well for the trip towards Nasik ( in fact it was the route I used to go to Nasik last week ). However, returning along the expressway can also take long as there is often heavy (and slow moving ) truck traffic in the ghat section.

Let me know what the alternative route you mentioned is. I have a Scorpio AT 4WD with AT tyres so am not afraid of a few rough patches.

Just when I wanted to share details on the Bombay bypass route ( towards Nasik ) we already have a latest update from @MandarMax saying that the subject route has a block over a river bridge. So, you are now left with either Bombay through and through or via Pune--Nasik direct route NH50 ( Both routes which you are already very familiar with )

Regarding your queries on taking the Shirdi--Nagar route and then onwards to Lonand bypassing Pune, I am sure it will have no advantage in terms of being faster or being peaceful. It will only add extra time with extra distance. Road conditions might be good though as a couple of these inside roads have been undergoing 4 laning past 2 years. Once they are fully done up, we will have a clear picture whether bypassing Pune is a feasible option. For now it is not so.

I agree with @paragsachania that taking direct Pune--Nasik NH50 during specific times of the day would be a good bet.

In my opinion, for onwards from Bangalore to Nasik, you can stick to the Bombay route ( something that you have already done couple of times ).

A 4 a.m start from Bangalore with good speeds in a Scorpio, should be able to let you do Pune bypass between 2.30pm--3pm. Further on, you will be easily able to enter Bombay (Panvel) at around 5 pm (including a 30 mins refreshment stop on Expressway) and exit onto NH3 by max 7 pm and make it to Nasik by 9.30pm. Please let me know the timelines you have achieved for this route

Taking Pune--Nasik NH50 with a 4 a.m start from Bangalore would be painful I believe because of heavy traffic that builds up Pune onwards. But on the return, with a 4 a.m start from Nasik, the same route would be a boon. Crossing Pune city through and through from NH50 onto NH4 Pune bypass is the most easiest thing to do than coming from the Shirdi-Nagar side. Look at it, one straight NH50 till Chakan in Pune. Keep straight to pass Moshi--JRD Tata double decker flyover--touch NH4 at Hinjewadi flyover junction and turn left for Bangalore. That's it. The completion of 4 laning of NH50 is most awaited, once it is fully done up, doing Bangalore--Pune--Nasik will happen to be way more easy than doing Bangalore--Pune--Shirdi/Aurangabad. Right now, it's the exact opposite !
vivek95 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 15:06   #55
RCD
BHPian

Taking Pune--Nasik NH50 with a 4 a.m start from Bangalore would be painful I believe because of heavy traffic that builds up Pune onwards. But on the return, with a 4 a.m start from Nasik, the same route would be a boon. Crossing Pune city through and through from NH50 onto NH4 Pune bypass is the most easiest thing to do than coming from the Shirdi-Nagar side. Look at it, one straight NH50 till Chakan in Pune. Keep straight to pass Moshi--JRD Tata double decker flyover--touch NH4 at Hinjewadi flyover junction and turn left for Bangalore. That's it. The completion of 4 laning of NH50 is most awaited, once it is fully done up, doing Bangalore--Pune--Nasik will happen to be way more easy than doing Bangalore--Pune--Shirdi/Aurangabad. Right now, it's the exact opposite ![/quote]

Thanks a lot, had not really considered the time of the drive as a factor, which of course it is. I typically leave Bangalore around 8:30 pm so I reach Pune by 6 am.
So far have hit the road as soon as my work in Nasik finished. Typically between 3-4:30 pm. Next time I will either sleep at Nasik and take an early start around 3-4 am or else will try the Nasik-Shirdi-Nagar-Satara-Kolhapur Bangalore route if I can get done by 2 pm. Shall certainly let you know my timings. My wife and I both drive between 100-120 where ever possible on 4 lane roads, but tend to stop for food at multiple points.
The last time while coming back from Nasik, found a super place to eat dinner while returning. Its near the Satara toll booths and called " Jai Bhavani Mutton Bhakri".
Old 15th November 2016, 00:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Next time I will either sleep at Nasik and take an early start around 3-4 am or else will try the Nasik-Shirdi-Nagar-Satara-Kolhapur Bangalore route if I can get done by 2 pm.
Do try to get latest updates on Shirdi--Pune route from the Pune--Shirdi and Pune--Indore threads in this forum. Apparently, the Shirdi--Nagar stretch has turned bad in some stretches that may slow down your progress. And not to forget, this route involves crossing Nagar and Pune cities. But there is nothing wrong in exploring different route connections ( I love doing this). In case you feel tired out, Kolhapur is the best option to break for a night for this particular route and for your start time from Nasik by around 2pm (Nasik-Shirdi-Pune-Kolhapur-Bangalore). Kolhapur has nice hotels and some exceptionally great cuisine
vivek95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 11:52   #57
RCD
BHPian

In case you feel tired out, Kolhapur is the best option to break for a night for this particular route and for your start time from Nasik by around 2pm (Nasik-Shirdi-Pune-Kolhapur-Bangalore). Kolhapur has nice hotels and some exceptionally great cuisine [/quote]

Yes, in earlied days before the 4 laning, and when I drove a Santro, I used to drive from Bangalore to Kolhapur, reach by 6 pm. Stay at Victor Palace, and then drive on the next morning after the buffet breakfast at the poolside.

Have not done this for years.

regards,

RCD
Old 20th December 2016, 10:44   #58
RCD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post

Regarding your queries on taking the Shirdi--Nagar route and then onwards to Lonand bypassing Pune, I am sure it will have no advantage in terms of being faster or being peaceful. It will only add extra time with extra distance. Road conditions might be good though as a couple of these inside roads have been undergoing 4 laning past 2 years. Once they are fully done up, we will have a clear picture whether bypassing Pune is a feasible option. For now it is not so.

Taking Pune--Nasik NH50 with a 4 a.m start from Bangalore would be painful I believe because of heavy traffic that builds up Pune onwards. But on the return, with a 4 a.m start from Nasik, the same route would be a boon. Crossing Pune city through and through from NH50 onto NH4 Pune bypass is the most easiest thing to do than coming from the Shirdi-Nagar side. Look at it, one straight NH50 till Chakan in Pune. Keep straight to pass Moshi--JRD Tata double decker flyover--touch NH4 at Hinjewadi flyover junction and turn left for Bangalore. That's it. The completion of 4 laning of NH50 is most awaited, once it is fully done up, doing Bangalore--Pune--Nasik will happen to be way more easy than doing Bangalore--Pune--Shirdi/Aurangabad. Right now, it's the exact opposite !
Thanks Vivek. I was actually driving to Rann of Kutch and Gir on my way out, and returning via Saputara ( spent 2 nights at Club Mahindra Hatgad near Saputara )/ Nasik. Had some work in Nasik, and so was able to hit the highway only around 1:30 pm.
Tried out my Nasik, Shirdi,Ahmednagar, Satara route ( against all advice ). Uptil Ahmednagar I think the plan worked superbly. We were there by late afternoon inclusive of the stop for lunch. However, the Ahmednagar - Satara stretch took too long, and I think I would have been better off if I had headed to Pune from Ahmednagar.

I have done the NH50 route before and found it really terrible, and was reluctant to comeback via Thane, as I have often found a lot of slow and heavy trucks blocking the expressway to Pune at night.

While my timing on the return trip via Ahmednagar & Satara was not something I am proud of ; I made reasonably good time on the way out. Left Bangalore at 8:30 am ( slept as long as I could, and did not set an alarm ). We passed Pune around 9 pm ( had dinner between Satara and Pune as traffic was very heavy) , Mumbai around midnight, Surat around 3:30, Ahmedabad around 7:30 ( had a breakfast stop on the way ) and reached Bhuj in time for lunch. Total of 1839 km in 30 hrs. It gave us time to do some sightseeing in the evening , and for my wife to do some shopping the next morning before we doing the last 90 km to tent city Dhordo in about even time, reaching by 12:30 pm.
RCD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 14:38   #59
BHPian

Hello

I'm planning a Pune -> Aurangabad -> Nashik -> Pune road trip next week. While I'm comfortable with Pune -> Aurangabad -> Nashik routes, I'm not really sure which route to take from Nashik to Pune.

I will be leaving Nashik on Monday, 20th February in afternoon (around 2 PM). Which route is the best to take?

Thanks!
AD
Old 13th February 2017, 13:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishwaryadeep View Post
Hello

I'm planning a Pune -> Aurangabad -> Nashik -> Pune road trip next week. While I'm comfortable with Pune -> Aurangabad -> Nashik routes, I'm not really sure which route to take from Nashik to Pune.

I will be leaving Nashik on Monday, 20th February in afternoon (around 2 PM). Which route is the best to take?

Thanks!
AD
The new Nashik - Pune NH60 highway was almost complete when I drove on it (on Jan 26th). There was some news yesterday that Toll Nakas have started toll collection from today. Trust me, the drive is delightful apart from the some old stretches as we get closer to the Rajgurunagar - Pune (old 4-lane). It took me 3hr 10 minutes non stop from Nashik Phata to Nashik Road on the evening of Jan 26. It should take you that much time, maybe less now. Proceed with confidence, no need to take alternate routes now.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks