Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 12:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chidambaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Hi Ravi - Salem - attur - chidambaram - V.Kovil still the best route to get to V.Kovil? Google maami showing some route via Tiruvannamalai, hence asking.
Yes, as narayan mentioned, you can take Tiruvannamalai route to reach Ulundurpet/Vridhachalam. But note that, this is a new road without lane markings and kinda of isolated after dark, so watch out.

Road conditions are not a problem in TN as 99% roads are good and not a worry. You only have to worry about traffic and food/break options.

However, in case if you are traveling with family or senior citizens, beware that after Krishnagiri, if you are taking Tiruvannamalai road route, there aren't good/decent stop overs for rest rooms, especially for ladies, unless you take a detour inside Tiruvannamalai ( which is not necessary) or take a 5 kms detour in Ulundurpet towards Madras direction in NH45 and return back towards Mangalampettai/Vridhachalam road. Further beyond Ulundurpet, till you reach Chidambaram, there are really no good stop overs.

ON the other hand, if you take Salem route, you have plenty of options to stop over till salem and then after which Attur A2B is the last good stop. Post that you can really reach Chidambaram which may not need a break.

Its normal to have atleast 2 breaks easily - one short and one long from Bangalore to Chidambaram/Vaitheeswaran koil.

So plan accordingly depending on the time you travel and with/without family options for required breaks.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 13:16   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
But note that, this is a new road without lane markings and kinda of isolated after dark
Is it isolated in the dark? I wasn't expecting it, since it is a bus route and the road was quite busy at day time that you'll just about do 80-90 kph thereabouts.

About food, there was nothing beyond bakeries and tea shops till the Tindivanam end. While Tiruvannamalai bypass is a blessing, there is no restaurants on it.
Old 5th May 2023, 10:01   #93
Team-BHP Support

I would still prefer the comfort of 4-lane and then via Veppur. The only catch is hopefully one does not get stuck at Thoppur. That apart its a clean no-fuss route.

If one wants to drive the scenic 2-lane route by all means yes take the Thiruvannamalai road.

Time wise there is not much of a difference I think.
Old 5th May 2023, 15:33   #94

Hey Folks,

I will be travelling to Velankanni by car next week from Mumbai will take the usual route to Banglore. After Bangalore it will be Banglore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Virudhachalam - Chidambaram - Karaikal - Velankanni. This is suggested by Google Maps. I have found out there are various routes but this is the first time I am driving to Velankanni and want to be extra safe since I have my family with me. I will be leaving from Bangalore to Velankanni by late evening. Let me know if this route works
Old 6th May 2023, 17:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus12 View Post
Hey Folks,

I will be travelling to Velankanni by car next week from Mumbai will take the usual route to Banglore. After Bangalore it will be Banglore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Tiruvannamalai - Virudhachalam - Chidambaram - Karaikal - Velankanni. This is suggested by Google Maps. I have found out there are various routes but this is the first time I am driving to Velankanni and want to be extra safe since I have my family with me. I will be leaving from Bangalore to Velankanni by late evening. Let me know if this route works
With family or even otherwise, we always need to be "extra safe" anytime
If you really want to leave Bangalore late evening , then i won't suggest you to take Tiruvannamalai route. Stick to Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Attur-Veppur-Vridhachalam route (or) Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Trichy-Tanjore-Nagapattinam-Velankanni route. Eitherway, i won't recommend a night drive, as a personal suggestion, especially with the family.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 00:02   #96

Quote:
With family or even otherwise, we always need to be "extra safe" anytime
If you really want to leave Bangalore late evening , then i won't suggest you to take Tiruvannamalai route. Stick to Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Attur-Veppur-Vridhachalam route (or) Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Trichy-Tanjore-Nagapattinam-Velankanni route. Eitherway, i won't recommend a night drive, as a personal suggestion, especially with the family.

-Ravi
Thank you so much ravib for the kind suggestion . Will definitely take look into these routes and I will try to plan my travel to Velankanni during the day. This means that I'd have to stay over in Bangalore during the night. Do you know any good family friendly hotels on the highway at Bangalore or Hosur?
Justus12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 06:46   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus12 View Post
Thank you so much ravib for the kind suggestion . Will definitely take look into these routes and I will try to plan my travel to Velankanni during the day. This means that I'd have to stay over in Bangalore during the night. Do you know any good family friendly hotels on the highway at Bangalore or Hosur?
If you can push to Hosur or Krishnagiri, it's easier.

Krishnagiri: Alps Residency
Hosur: Hotel Hills, TGI Platina and Claresta

All the hotels are right next to the highway. But please watch out on where to exit to reach these places! That can be tricky.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 19:28   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ON the other hand, if you take Salem route, you have plenty of options to stop over till salem and then after which Attur A2B is the last good stop. Post that you can really reach Chidambaram which may not need a break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would still prefer the comfort of 4-lane and then via Veppur. The only catch is hopefully one does not get stuck at Thoppur. That apart its a clean no-fuss route.
Did BLR - Salem - Attur - Chidambaram - V.Kovil and back over the weekend.
4.30am start from home ensured that I stop for breakfast after thoppur and reach V.Kovil by 11.30 am. Last 40 odd km from Bhuvanagiri Bridge to V.Kovil is a big mess thanks to the 6L construction. Covered 40 kms in 45 minutes.

Overnight stay was at Sri Akshardham. Rooms were clean, in house restaurant serves good food and breakfast is included in the room cost. Second time here and i think its a good option at V.Kovil.

Return again was at 11 am from Chidambaram. Stopped at A2B Attur for lunch at 12.20 and hit the highway again at 1 PM. It was a fast dash home with a couple of well driven cars keeping me company all the way to BLR. Reached Attibele at 4PM and managed to get home by 5PM.

Last edited by procrj : 8th May 2023 at 19:31.
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 20:04   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did BLR - Salem - Attur - Chidambaram - V.Kovil and back over the weekend.
4.30am start from home ensured that I stop for breakfast after thoppur and reach V.Kovil by 11.30 am. Last 40 odd km from Bhuvanagiri Bridge to V.Kovil is a big mess thanks to the 6L construction. Covered 40 kms in 45 minutes.
Thanks for sharing! Great update indeed! How is the route from Vridhachalam bypass to Chidambaram? Since you did not say much about this I assume this section is good? Akshar Dham seems like a nice place.

Last edited by ampere : 8th May 2023 at 20:07.
Old 8th May 2023, 20:09   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is the route from Vridhachalam bypass to Chidambaram? Since you did not say much about this I assume this section is good?
No issues with this stretch, smooth sailing all along till the turnoff into Chidambaram town.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 21:09   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No issues with this stretch, smooth sailing all along till the turnoff into Chidambaram town.
Very nice! So all in all V Koot Road - Vppur - Vridhachalam.- Chidambaram is good all the way. Thats great update indeed! Also at Sethiyarthope did you notice a clean intersection to the Vikravandi-KMU 4-lane? I assume this would go under the 4-lane.

Once the 4/6 lane comes up on the coastal side, we should be good all the way.
Old 8th May 2023, 21:52   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also at Sethiyarthope did you notice a clean intersection to the Vikravandi-KMU 4-lane? I assume this would go under the 4-lane.
yeah you can't miss the 4L construction at sethiyathope as you drive under it. Once this comes up, driving to V.Kovil should be a breeze as you can bypass bhuvanagiri, chidambaram.

This 4L construction has subsumed the chidambaram and sirkazhi bypass. Additionally, if you are driving through chidambaram town and want to get to V.Kovil, you need to off-road onto a small mud road near a bridge construction. Hence better to stick to the under construction bypass to get to V.Kovil.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 15:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

Am still wondering why Salem - Athur - Veppur is not considered as the best choice for Bangalore - North delta and instead some times Krishnagiri - TV Malai route is considered. From TV Malai whether directly via Thiagadurgam or the slight detour via Villupuram would mean coming up to Veppur as the best choice further on towards delta and on any day it makes sense to directly get to Veppur via Salem, Athur and it is hardly longer than the Krisnagiri - Tiruvannamalai route
Old 9th May 2023, 16:01   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Am still wondering why Salem - Athur - Veppur is not considered as the best choice for Bangalore - North delta and instead some times Krishnagiri - TV Malai route is considered. From TV Malai whether directly via Thiagadurgam or the slight detour via Villupuram would mean coming up to Veppur as the best choice further on towards delta and on any day it makes sense to directly get to Veppur via Salem, Athur and it is hardly longer than the Krisnagiri - Tiruvannamalai route
I think it's more a suggestion by Google rather than members here. Probably once the roads via Thiruvannamalai and town bypasses come into play, we can re-evaluate this route.
Old 26th July 2023, 11:50   #105
BHPian

We did a visit from Bangalore to temples around Kumbakonam and Chidambaram around 10 days ago. After reading this thread and the Kumbakonam thread, decided to use V. Koil as the base.

Based on @procrj's recent stay feedback, we stayed at Sri Akshardham in V. Koil which was a neat and clean place with a good inhouse restaurant attached. Thank you @procrj

I would definitely recommend staying here if in the area. Hotel Sadhabishegam which is opposite of Akshardham appeared to be pretty similar from the outside. Both are within walking distance from the temple which makes it very convenient as well.
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks