Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2019, 19:06   #46
BHPian

Re: Pune to Delhi route : GQ or NH3?

Short travelogue on my recent Pune – Noida – Delhi – Pune trip via Agra (upwards) and via Jaipur (return) respectively.

Dates:25 Jan'19 - 5th Feb 2019
Ride: Tata Tiago Diesel (85000 kms driven as on 10th Feb 2019)
Distance covered: 3500 kms approx.
Fuel efficiency:19.4 kmpl overall (70% Non Ac). Full-on luggage with 2 suitcases on roof carrier.
Plan: There was no such plan to do Pune to Delhi by road. No new assignments lined up in the office, hence apt time for outdoorsy activities.

Flight tickets are expensive on short notice, I calculated approx 11-12k for whole journey including food and taxi fare. Next option was train and tickets weren't available in the next 2-3 days or else I need to pay extra for tatkal tickets.

A colleague of mine suggested ride sharing option in BlaBla App and that worked very nicely for me. I posted Pune – Delhi ride with stopovers at Indore & Agra and within 24 hours got 2 bookings, one each for Indore and Agra. Both of them weren’t getting reasonable transport at the last moment, plus the one upto Agra had to carry a puppy which he can’t take along otherwise in First AC Coupe.

So the ride got planned on 25th Jan from Bhumkar Chowk. Fellow guys were waiting for me at Mundhwa and Kharadi respectively. But it was Friday and the Pune traffic was a nightmare. I started at 6 p.m. sharp from Talwade and reached Mundhwa by 8.45 p.m and then Kharadi at 9.30 p.m., 3 hours behind schedule. But that's how our ride begun.

Route (Upwards): Pune (Kharadi Bypass) – Ahmednagar bypass – Shirdi – Manmad – Malegaon – Indore (bypass) – Dewas – Sehore – Biaora – Guna – Shivpuri (bypass) – Gwalior (bypass) – Agra – Noida (via YEX).

Google Maps: Link

Road Condition:

From kharadi bypass to Ahmednagar bypass, road is in good condition. There was congestion at Wagholi, Ranjangaon and Ahmednagar Bypass. Even though I was following interstate pvt buses, none of them took Ahmednagar bypass towards Shirdi instead all went straight to Ahmednagar City. But we took left for and after few kms road become nonexistent. Then Took right from MIDC junction via Nagapur MIDC joined Ahmednagar Shirdi highway. Refer image below

Pune to Delhi route : GQ or NH3?-nagapurmidccut.jpg

From there, within 2.5- 3 hours we crossed Shirdi, Manmad and touched NH3 at Malegaon bypass.

Kharadi – Malegaon section is toll free.

From Malegaon, NH3 is butter smooth, well surfaced upto MH-MP border at Sendhwa/Julwania. There are annoying rumble strips on every village crossing. Afterwards highway is smooth but not consistently surfaced, patch works going on in ghats, inappropriate markings, out of nowhere speed bumps. Thankfully didn’t notice stray dog/cattle/sheep and we maintained decent speeds of 80-100 kmph respectively.

By 7.45 a.m. we reached Indore Megacity Circle where I dropped first fellow and then continued towards Dewas after tea breaks.

Between Indore and Dewas NH3 is all good but 2 kms before Labour Colony Dewas, dual carriageway and flyover constructions are going on hence one has to be careful as to drive on which side of the road because inbound and outbound traffic drives on the same lane.

Then we right towards Bhopal and the good 4 lane continued upto Sehore. Originally our plan was to take Bhopal bypass but randomly we state this highway at Sehore and turned left for Biaora. It wasn’t a good decision although we touch-base NH3 in the next 2.5-3 hours as one has to be pass through Sehore and other villages.

Sehore – Shyampur section is narrow, single lane and I was considerably slowing down to let the heavy vehicles pass from the opposite direction. Dual carriageway works are going on between Shymapura and Biaora. We maintained average speed of 50 kmph. It was afternoon and the traffic volume was high. As usual no markings, diversions etc.

Sehore – Shyampur – Biaora is toll free

Biaora - Guna – Shivpuri section is amazing and scenic. But I was driving my puny 1.0 litre diesel, I couldn’t exceed 100 kph, but this section tempts you to drive hard to test your vehicle limits.

Then Shivpuri bypass was quite narrow, potholed and congested. It was evening and thankfully we spotted some bikanerwala sort of eatery. We rested for about an hour after filling our stomachs.

Then the bumpy ride continued upto 8-10 kms more.

By 10 we reached Gwalior bypass and took the usual ORR to skip Gwalior. It is a longer detour but zippy enough to reach the other side in 25-30 minutes. Gwalior to Agra section is usual 4 lane with traffic 24 by 7, patchy sections, bumps. You quit MP, enter Rajasthan and then enter UP.

By midnight we reached Dayalbagh (Agra) and dropped the other fellow and his dog. In the next 2 hours I reached Noida sector 41 via YEX.

Tolls:

From Malegaon till Agra, paid via PayTm FastTag.
From Agra to Noida, paid 415 rupees by Credit card
Journey: Nonstop (no night halts, only food breaks, dog refreshment breaks), commenced in 30 hours from Kharadi bypass.

Journey(Return): Noida Sector-41 – Delhi Ring Road – NH8 – 100 ft Ajmer Bypass Road (Jaipur) – Kishengarh – Chittorgarh (bypass) – Manpur (NH3) – Malegaon – Chandwad – Pangri – Nandur Shingote – Chakan – Pune

This is one familiar route from Delhi to Pune so I am not going to talk about this much. Just follow google maps and take care of live traffic & diversions between Delhi and Jaipur

Also note that booth operators between Chittorgarh and Manpur aren't taking FasTags and all tolls has to be paid by cash

Those heading towards Eastern Pune may take Malegaon – Shirdi – Ahmednagar route as mentioned in my onward journey.
Those heading towards Western Pune, please avoid Chandwad – Pangri – Nandur Shingote/Sinnar route as suggested by google maps, which I took. Instead follow NH3 upto Nashik bypass and detour towards Pune.

Road condition:Excellent in Rajasthan & Maharashtra, Good in MP and Haryana, Average to nonexistent and haunted between Chandwad and Nandur Shingote
Journey: Nonstop (no night halts, only food breaks), commenced in 30 hours from Dhaula Kuan to Bhumkar Chowk.

Last edited by OneToughRider : 10th February 2019 at 19:35. Reason: typo
OneToughRider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 19:05   #47
BHPian

OneToughRider, any idea about the road conditions from Jaipur to Pune via Kishangarh, Bhilwara, Chittaurgarh, Ratlam, Indore, Malegaon, Shirdi to Pune?
Will the recent Monsoon have affected the roads?
Google maps shows this as the preferred route from Jaipur to Pune. How dependable is this information?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Short travelogue on my recent Pune – Noida – Delhi – Pune trip via Agra (upwards) and via Jaipur (return) respectively. [/u]
Appreciate you for making such a long trip.

That you drove throughout the night without a night halt, scares me. 30 hours journey including the whole night without rest is not safe. I will advise you to take a halt at least between 1 am to 5 am.

One query: It took 30 hours for a journey of around 1400 km. That is an average speed of 46 kmph. Normally, an average speed of 60 km per hour should have been achievable (including breaks), which would take around 23 hours. In which sections did you take these extra 7 hours?

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 2nd September 2019 at 13:41.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
OneToughRider, any idea about the road conditions from Jaipur to Pune via Kishangarh, Bhilwara, Chittaurgarh, Ratlam, Indore, Malegaon, Shirdi to Pune?
Will the recent Monsoon have affected the roads?
Google maps shows this as the preferred route from Jaipur to Pune. How dependable is this information?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Saji
Hi, I am not sure about the current road conditions post monsoons, but yes if you're planning to drive from Jaipur to Pune via shortest distance this is it. Please ensure you carry enough food specially during night time as not many options are available in MP between Neemuch and AB road junction.

Other route is Jaipur - Udaipur - Vadodara - Mumbai - Pune, that's quite safe in all respects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Appreciate you for making such a long trip.

That you drove throughout the night without a night halt, scares me. 30 hours journey including the whole night without rest is not safe. I will advise you to take a halt at least between 1 am to 5 am.

One query: It took 30 hours for a journey of around 1400 km. That is an average speed of 46 kmph. Normally, an average speed of 60 km per hour should have been achievable (including breaks), which would take around 23 hours. In which sections did you take these extra 7 hours?
Hi Rahul, thanks for your suggestion. We were 3 drivers. We drove turn by turn under 100 kph all the time. On a puny 1L diesel engine, 80-90 kmph is good enough for a consistent long ride. Bigger engine would have made it easily under 24 hours.

Cheers!
Old 24th September 2019, 01:53   #50

Planning to do Pune - Pathankot on the GQ from 26th September on my bike. Have done this route previously in a car a few years back but need to know the state of the roads now after the rains. Any update will be helpful.
Old 28th July 2020, 01:23   #51
BHPian

I am in Pune while the family is in Delhi. So I am thinking of winding up here, put my stuff in a storage and then take my car to Delhi. The car is 8 year old Diesel with Delhi number, so if I have to sell it my best bet is Delhi rather than selling here in Pune. One option is to use movers and packers and then fly to Delhi.

The other option I have is to drive down and I am thinking of taking Pune - Ahmedabad - Jaipur - Delhi route. This will mean I will have to stay overnight at Ahmedabad and Jaipur. I am unable to makeup my mind and have several doubts -
1. Is there a better place to stay beyond Ahmedbad to break the journey equally - with safe & clean hotel in the covid situation?
2. I know road is good but I am worried about driving alone for 12-13 hrs for 2 continuous days and 4-5 hrs for the last day. I have driven for 8-9 hrs in a day so it's going to be a stretch.
3. It's a 8 year old Chevy Beat with almost 90K on oddometer. The car seats are not so comfortable for this long a journey and given the lockdowns, I am also worried about service if something goes wrong on the highway.
4. I am planning in a month's time - end August or early September, but even then staying overnight in hotel or eating out doesn't look like a safe option.
Any suggestions?
Old 17th August 2020, 23:19   #52
BHPian

Any suggestions on above query on Driving From Pune to Delhi.

I am nearing a decision point but still am not sure either way.
Old 19th September 2020, 22:58   #53
BHPian

I finally took the plunge and drove from Pune to Delhi over 17th & 18th Sept. Overall the road conditions are pretty good and I would recommend taking this route -
  1. Pune to Navi Mumbai (Mumbai Expressway) – Very Good.
  2. Navi Mumbai to Thane – Good – Roads are good but heavy traffic.
  3. Thane to Vadodara (NH48) – Very Good, except for a stretch near Baruch where construction of flyovers means bad roads and heavy traffic.
  4. Vadodara to Ahemdabad (NE1) – Excellent – Awesom road that is well marked with reflective strips. Even at night with heavy rains this helped me drive at 80-90 KMPH. The best I have seen.
  5. Ahmedabad to Palanpur – OK – Roads are generally OK to good. but at many places you will have the cattle occupying the road.
  6. Palanpur to Abu Road to Beawar (NH27, 62, 162) – Very Good with not much traffic.
  7. Beawar to Ajmer to Jaipur (NH54, 48) – Good but patchy. I think a fresh coat of tar, with proper lane marking, reflective strips for direction at night & signage will make me happy to bear the toll. Also there are settlements next to the road with people trying to cross, so need to be careful and can’t drive fast.
  8. Jaipur to Delhi (NH48) – OK. The road is quite uneven and there are bumps due to small humps of molted tar. Also there are places with no lane markings or reflective strips at the ends of the road. I was actually following the other vehicles than the road. Once upon a time it was such a good road and it shows the importance of regular maintenance.
You can see some pics from the trip here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...olo-drive.html (Covid Diaries - Pune to Delhi solo drive)
satishchugh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 15:50   #54
BHPian

Which of the below routes would be better for an overnight drive from Ahmedabad to Jaipur?
1. Ahmedabad - Himmatnagar - Samalaji - Udaipur - Nathdwara - Jaipur (Basically NH48 all the way)
2. Ahmedabad - Mehsana - Palanpur - Abu Road - Sirohi - Pali - Beawar - Ajmer - Kishangarh - Jaipur
Old 12th October 2020, 15:22   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Which of the below routes would be better for an overnight drive from Ahmedabad to Jaipur?
1. Ahmedabad - Himmatnagar - Samalaji - Udaipur - Nathdwara - Jaipur (Basically NH48 all the way)
2. Ahmedabad - Mehsana - Palanpur - Abu Road - Sirohi - Pali - Beawar - Ajmer - Kishangarh - Jaipur

Take option 2.
Ahmedabad to Udaipur road is not in a good shape for now. You may also refer to the following post in Delhi Mumbai travelogue section.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...queries-7.html (Delhi - Mumbai : Route Queries)
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 11:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avoid Ahmedabad-Shamlaji-Udaipur. Its not in good shape, will cost you a lot of time, adding to your woes would be the diversions with unmarked speed breakers aplenty of various size and shapes. I used this route in last week of September. Best avoided. The second option you have suggested is better.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:27   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
Take option 2.[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The second option you have suggested is better.
Thanks both! Just wanted to confirm if option 2 is safe for night driving. Planning to leave by 10.00pm aiming to reach Jaipur by 10.00am I believe.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 11:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks both! Just wanted to confirm if option 2 is safe for night driving. Planning to leave by 10.00pm aiming to reach Jaipur by 10.00am I believe.
Yes. Safety at night time on this route should be fine. Also, since the road conditions are better, you may encounter some HMV traffic. Be careful of that.
If in case you can adjust your plan, leave by 3/4 AM. By then, HMV traffic will also subside.
ShankarG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 12:01   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This one will be my choice. If possible, avoid Night as stretch from Abu-Road- Pali - Beawar is mostly truck traffic. Not that it's unsafe, but I will not do. Once had a tyre burst around Beawar at 2 Am and it was scary

Ahmedabad - Jaipur is more like 8-9 Hours at 90-100 speed with one or two stops. Instead of starting at 10 Pm, leave at 3:30 or 4 in the morning.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 11:48   #60
BHPian

Planning a roadtrip from Pune to Noida. I will be travelling with Senior member and kid so planning to break the journey in 3 days.

Day1: Pune to Vadodrara, Journey time:10 hrs, Start time: 5 AM
Day2: Vadodrara to Pushkar via Palanpur/Beawer: Journey time: 11 hrs, Start time: 5 AM
Day3: Pushkar to Noida:8 hrs Start time: 5 AM

Any tips on the whole route, restaurants and Hotels to stay(budget friendly)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks