Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 08:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai

I would stick to the normal NH47,going via Sulur is not a recommended option IMHO and there is no saving in terms of time or effort
Old 21st April 2011, 11:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I would stick to the normal NH47,going via Sulur is not a recommended option IMHO and there is no saving in terms of time or effort
Ranjit, I agree that there would be no savings in time but, I can avoid the construction mess between Perumanallur-Cbe right? I thought Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur though is single laned, would have smooth ride. What do you think? .
Old 21st April 2011, 13:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Ranjit, I agree that there would be no savings in time but, I can avoid the construction mess between Perumanallur-Cbe right? I thought Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur though is single laned, would have smooth ride. What do you think? .
I did Avinashi stretch today early morning. The time taken from Perundurai toll to L&T toll was 1hr 25 mins; much better than I expected for this stretch. Me too recommend NH47 if you are not traveling on peak hrs.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I did Avinashi stretch today early morning. The time taken from Perundurai toll to L&T toll was 1hr 25 mins; much better than I expected for this stretch. Me too recommend NH47 if you are not traveling on peak hrs.
Great. Thanks for the final minute update. I will stick with the NH47.

I am going to start now and thanks all for your suggestions.
Old 1st May 2011, 19:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Chennai-Salem

Just wanted to update the thread after my trip.

Chennai-Salem
Since, I started from Sholinganallur, I took the route -Kelambakkam-Vandalur-Chengalput-Kanchi-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem. Total Kms. came to 397. With couple of short breaks, total time taken was 6.15 hours. What was annoying about this route is the traffic mess between Vandalur-Chengalput and then getting past the Kanchipuram town. It took lot of time. It started raining in Kanchi and the rain lasted till I reached Dharmapuri.

Here are couple of snaps taken on the route Chengalput-Kanchi.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00750.jpg  

Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00751.jpg  

Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00752.jpg  

Old 1st May 2011, 19:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Salem-Guruvayoor

Salem-Guruvayoor
Route taken was Salem-Perundurai-Avanashi-CBE Bypass-Walayar-Palakkad-Thrissur. Total distance came to 323 Kms. I took 6.30 hours including breakfast break at Avanashi. NH47 till Chengapalli was a breeze to drive and then pain started and lasted till I reached the L&T Coimbatore Bypass. After the overnight rain, the road was pathetic and the diversions horrible. The road from CBE-Thrissur was decent.

In a Fuel station in Avanashi.
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00755.jpg

Walayar-Palakkad Section.
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00756.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00758.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00759.jpg

Spotted this on the way from Palakkad-Thrissur.
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00760.jpg
Old 1st May 2011, 19:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai-Salem

You could have done this route - Sholinganallur-Medavakkam-Tambaram-Padapai-Oragadam (right turn) -Sriperumbadur-Krishangiri-Salem

One has to time the start, else there would be traffic till you hit the end of Mudichur road i.e Sholinganallur-Tambaram - upto Mudichur road end traffic
Old 1st May 2011, 19:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Guruvayoor-Munnar

Guruvayoor-Munnar
Route taken was Guruvayoor-Thrissur-Angamaly-Kaladi-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar. Didn't keep track of the exact distance since I missed couple of routes to reach the Hotel which I booked at Munnar. Approximate distance was 180-190 Kms. Four Laning is nearing completion on the NH47 (Thrissur-Angamaly). The complete route was very decent, rather good. It started to rain at Adimali and it didn't stop until midnight.

Traffic jam at Kaladi
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00762.jpg

Few snaps at Cheeyapara Water Falls (before Adimali)
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00763.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00765.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00771.jpg

Adimali-Munnar Section
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00775.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00776.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00777.jpg
Old 1st May 2011, 20:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Munnar-Chennai

Munnar-Chennai
Route taken was Munnar-Bodi-Madurai-Trichy-Chennai. Distance 620+ Kms. Route from Munnar-Bodi is decent and from Bodi-Madurai, good. And from Madurai, needless to say, it was excellent.

Few snaps at the Mattupety dam
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00779.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00780.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00781.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00786.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00788.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00789.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00792.jpg

Route between Echo Point-Kundala Dam
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00796.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00799.jpg

Just after Devikulam, on the way to Bodi
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00802.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00803.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00805.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00806.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00807.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00808.jpg
Chennai-Guruvayoor-Chennai-dsc00809.jpg
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:04   #40
Team-BHP Support

So you finally completed! You missed on the nice SH from Pollachi, which @Modthomas mentioned. Seems it would have been a good road to take, with very low traffic. But yes getting in and out of Pollachi is a big problem. Its very difficult to find, which road takes you where and one is at the mercy of the locals.

Add to it the city traffic is really heavy. I also found it difficult to cross Pollachi. But fortunately, I had a companion who knew about the place and hence could easily wade through the sea of buses trucks, 2 and 3-wheelers!
Old 4th May 2011, 22:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So you finally completed! You missed on the nice SH from Pollachi, which @Modthomas mentioned. Seems it would have been a good road to take, with very low traffic. But yes getting in and out of Pollachi is a big problem. Its very difficult to find, which road takes you where and one is at the mercy of the locals.

Add to it the city traffic is really heavy. I also found it difficult to cross Pollachi. But fortunately, I had a companion who knew about the place and hence could easily wade through the sea of buses trucks, 2 and 3-wheelers!
Yes Amp. My biggest mistake on the whole trip is not taking the pollachi-Vadakkencheri route.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:43   #42
BHPian

Chennai to Guruvayoor

Hi Folks

Am planning to do a trip from Chennai to Guruvayoor,probably in 1st week of May. Searched the forum but found no info on the same.
Would like to hear from all if you have any info to give me on the below

(1) road condition and preferred route to be taken- options are either the athur Salem route or the krishnagiri route.
(2) Driving conditions and hotels enroute for lunch.

Cheers
Prasad
PS: Mods my search yielded no results kindly shift to appropriate thread if it does not belong here.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk
Hi Folks

Am planning to do a trip from Chennai to Guruvayoor,probably in 1st week of May. Searched the forum but found no info on the same.
Would like to hear from all if you have any info to give me on the below

(1) road condition and preferred route to be taken- options are either the athur Salem route or the krishnagiri route.
(2) Driving conditions and hotels enroute for lunch.

Cheers
Prasad
PS: Mods my search yielded no results kindly shift to appropriate thread if it does not belong here.
From Palakkad go via ottapalam kulapully pattambi guruvayur route.roads are good all the way from krishnagiri till coimbatore.Plenty of eating options:A2B at Thoppur,Saravana Bhavan at Salem,GRT at Salem,Annalakshmi and Aryas at Perundurai,saravana bhavan on the L&T bypass.

OT:May 1st is Thrissur Pooram as well
Old 19th April 2012, 09:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Guruvayoor

Now the Ulundurpet-Kallakaurichi-Athur-Salem road is almost fully 4-laned with some small incomplete sections. Take that in preference to the well-beaten route via Krishnagiri. Remember you have to leave NH47 at Palakkad and go through Palakkad town to get to Ottapalam on way to Guruvayur.

With Trissur Pooram, the temple is also going to be very crowded.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:28   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai to Guruvayoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi Folks

Even I would say it would be better to take the route via Uludurpet/Attur. But eating options are limited. There is an A2B at Ulundurpet exit from GST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From Palakkad go via ottapalam kulapully pattambi guruvayur route.roads are good all the way from krishnagiri till coimbatore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Remember you have to leave NH47 at Palakkad and go through Palakkad town to get to Ottapalam on way to Guruvayur.
Is going through Palaghat the best option? I remember Ranjit you mentioned about :

Pollachi-Kollendode-Pazhyanur-Wadakancherry-Kecheri-Choondal-GVR. Is it any better?

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks