Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2006, 17:47   #1
BHPian

Help needed in Upgrading my car..

Hi To All,
In the introduction post that I gave few days earlier, I mentioned that I currently own a Santro 1.1 LS(July 2002). My height is 5.11. My average running in is around 1000km/month & an outstation trip once in 2-3 months. I'm planning to upgrade to a sedan. Mu budget is around 6L-OTR(preferably) and can extend to another 60-70k if required. Below are my considerations given the budget..
1) Hyundai Accent GLE
2) Maruti Baleno (LXi/VXi)
3) Tata Indigo LX.

I've not taken any test drives yet. But will be doing so very shortly. But sat in all the 3 cars and here are my observations.
1) Accent GLE has beige interiors and is good looking. The way I need to seat in the car and exit is some thing that is not as easy as I sit in my Santro(Height 5.11). Rest is OK.
2) Baleno interiors are not as good looking as Accent. But seeing the posts about the performance, tending to go for it. Unable to decide whether for Lxi or VXi.
3) Indigo LX - The reason i'm considering it is, it being in my budget.Also the inner space, leg room, easy in and out forced me not to leave it. But don't know whether I can consider it or not in view of my average running in. Will I be able to get any advantage going for it or will the maintenance costs cancel the positives of the low fuel cost(diesel), considering the vehicle price being similar to the petrol models considered.

Can experts guide me on this....

Thanks & Regards,
Ramesh Chandra

Old 30th January 2006, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think the best bet for you would be the Accent GLE. Since you already own a Hyundai you can push the dealers for further discount for loyalty, otherwise there is always the Baleno LXi.
Old 30th January 2006, 18:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra
6L-OTR(preferably) and can extend to another 60-70k if required. Below are my considerations given the budget..
1) Hyundai Accent GLE
2) Maruti Baleno (LXi/VXi)
3) Tata Indigo LX.
What are the hyderabad OTR prices of the
Viva CRDi
Ford Fiesta 1.4 EXi
Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXi

I thought all of them would be around or within 7 L OTR, in which case you would have more options to choose from.
Old 30th January 2006, 18:11   #4
BHPian

Hi Ramesh
among the ones listed i would go for a baleno lxi, and if you have enough funds, go for the vxi. doesnt need any major upgrades, mp3 player, spoiler, 14" alloys and a climate control A/C comes standard

Also look for the honda city non Vtech, if you can spend a litlle more, performance is an issue, but scores in almost all other departments.
Old 31st January 2006, 14:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

For your height Baleno and Indigo make the most sense. As for maintainance costs you wont spend more than 50p/km on maintaince on diesel so even with 1000kms/month if your maintance cost after 2 years(Warranty) for baleno is 25p/km and indigo takes 50p/km, you will be spending total 2500/month on indigo and 4000/month on baleno not much of a diff
So if you want performance go for the baleno, if you dont care about it go for the indigo
Old 31st January 2006, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
For your height Baleno and Indigo make the most sense. As for maintainance costs you wont spend more than 50p/km on maintaince on diesel so even with 1000kms/month if your maintance cost after 2 years(Warranty) for baleno is 25p/km and indigo takes 50p/km, you will be spending total 2500/month on indigo and 4000/month on baleno not much of a diff
So if you want performance go for the baleno, if you dont care about it go for the indigo
Hi TSK1979, Can you just elaborate on the factors on which you came up on the above figures of 2500/month on indigo and 4000/month on baleno.. Are the fuel costs also considered..??
Well I want to keep the car for another 5 years. Also is there any possibility off the Baleno being replaced in 2006. Also Is there any chance that the TDi in the Indigo being replaced with a Dicor engine in 2006.. Also heard that LX is now coming in beige interiors from 2006 ....
Old 31st January 2006, 17:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yes fuel costs are included.
30rs/litre diesel
45rs/litre petrol
So indigo after warranty = 2500/month
Baleno after warranty(@12kmpl) = 4000/month

As for DICOR, indigo dicor will definately come by december this year or early next year. At the auto expo I was talking to a tata guy and he said the 100bhp engine(petrol) should be there by sept and dicor by december.
Old 31st January 2006, 17:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra
Also is there any possibility off the Baleno being replaced in 2006.
It's probably better not to bring that into the equation when you are thinking of a 5+ year ownership period.
Even Tata is rumoured to be working on a new platform that may replace the Indica/Indigo platform.
IMO, the car scene will change much more rapidly in the next 5 years than the last 5. Many of the current models (say 2/3 year old) may be discontinued/replaced by 2011.
Old 31st January 2006, 17:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
It's probably better not to bring that into the equation when you are thinking of a 5+ year ownership period.
Even Tata is rumoured to be working on a new platform that may replace the Indica/Indigo platform.
IMO, the car scene will change much more rapidly in the next 5 years than the last 5. Many of the current models (say 2/3 year old) may be discontinued/replaced by 2011.
I think he's more worried about 2006 than 2011.
I would rather not buy a car if its going to be replaced in the next year. about the future, who knows - we still have the m800 and the esteem, and with its sales rising, the baleno should stick around for a while, I guess -

maybe i might buy my kid one
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:16   #10
BHPian

Just came to know that the price of Ford Fiesta 1.4 petrol is Rs. 6.4L(OTR) in Hyderabad. Considering my budget(if extended upto 6.5L), will this be a good buy as it is a new vehicle. How is the interior space and performance of the 1.4 when compared with the Accent GLE .
Guys, I'm a bit confused in making a choice -- Petrol or Diesel..?? Are there any other cars that can be considered in addition to Ford Fiesta. (Accent GLE/Baleno/Tata Indigo LX.. already mentioned earlier. How will Fiat Petra(petrol) be when compared to the above models..
My preferences are : Space, Performance & FE with equal weightage....

Pl. guide..........
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:18   #11
BHPian

Sorry I missed out...
I'm being discouraged from buying Baleno for lack of resale value....
Old 4th February 2006, 03:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

yes Baleno has a lower resale than the competion you mentioned. But the car will keep its value pretty much in the long run as baleno sales took time to soar.

fiat petra is one gem of a car. the 1.6 is as powerful as a the baleno. Now with Tata support it would pretty much do better. FE is similar to the competition bar the baleno. RIde comfort and handling are one of the best in class.recommended

ford fiesta is the newest in the market and has got ford out of the red in India. Overall a good car. Nothin exclusive but good at everything it does.good power, good comfort, good service and good looks.recommended

hyundai accent is now too old. It used to be what fiesta is now a good car with no special tacts. the engine is rough and the gearbox while slick the ratios are not good. Not recommended

maruti baleno is also very old now. But Maruti has very nicely packed it with those new goodies. comfort is good in its class and performance is mind blowing too. Fuel efficiency is best in class too.But looks can be subjective especially from the rear.recommended

mitsubishi lancer again is again an old horse. Nice price and nice car with slow sales. power and fuel Efficiency are ok. recommended.

opel corsa is about to be axed any time now. Its also small for you. THough comfortable its certainly having problems with lack of space.

tata indigo is one of the largest selling cars in India. While tata cars dont reek of quality they are still pretty reliable. FE is good and so is power. Engine is rough though and that gearbox sucks. But overall a good family car.recommended.

baleno,lancer and accent are old
corsa is too small
my suggestion would be to go for a ford fiesta,tata indigo or fiat petra depending on looks. Height wont be a problem in any of these cars.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 4th February 2006 at 04:03.
Old 4th February 2006, 15:12   #13
BHPian

Called up to Fiat dealer in Hyderabad and enquired about Fiat Petra petrol and they said that it has to come from Mumbai and it will take around 2-3 weeks.
Also the Ford fiesta will take around 1 month for delivery.
Just came up to see the maruti baleno website. It is completely a new site that what i saw couple of days ago. Pl. check it out at www.marutibaleno.com Tending towards baleno but unable to finalize. If I opt for Lxi, will I be able to change the wheel size to a better one that that is available now..??.
Is the rim size same for Vxi and Lxi or do we need to change the wheel rim to change the rubber..What is the correct size for Lxi..?? Will be taking a test drive today... and will tell the feedback....
Old 5th February 2006, 14:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

chandra,

you have 4 real options

the Baleno , the Fiesta , the Petra and the Indigo

Baleno - its a MUL product , cheap , decent performance and space, ok ok interiors, looks dated , A.S.S is pretty ok

Petra - its a FIAT product, cheap , good performance and space , ok ok interiors (just better than the Baleno), looks the best out of the 4 , A.S.S is pretty ok

Indigo - its a TATA and a Diesel, no performace , great space,pathetic interiors , looks normal , I cant comment on A.S.S

Fiesta - its a FORD, its cheap , decent performance (1.4), good space , nice interiors, looks better than the Baleno and the Indigo , A.S.S is ok

I would say take a TD and decide for yourself - which car makes you feel the most comfortable and satisfied and go for it !

I had a choice - the Petra would be it.

cheers
Old 5th February 2006, 15:39   #15
BHPian

dont even think of buying fiat products(nothing wrg with the products infact they r well suited for india) but the servicing is the pits already have owned two fiat products a uno diesel and a palio1.2 recently sold the uno couldnt find spare parts even with the authorised service centers and the best part overheard two employees talking with each other about putting a old spare part because new was not available and charging him for new my advice stay away until they rectify their after sales

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks