Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 23:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: City to Vento - Good switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
The running cost of City is 6 Rs/Km and Vento 3.25. So for a 3000 Km/month usage the price diff is close to 8000 Rs. On the Highways My city's running cost is 5 Rs While for the vento its around 2.5 Rs (not direct knowledge but known from source who use it).

There is a huge diff.

I own the New City i-vtec S model.
If your mileage was 3000 KM/ per month then it was not a wise decision to go for a petrol car, leave city or vento aside.

Now I suggest you to use the car a little more and then get the diesel car.
Old 12th October 2011, 00:38   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If your mileage was 3000 KM/ per month then it was not a wise decision to go for a petrol car, leave city or vento aside.

Now I suggest you to use the car a little more and then get the diesel car.
True. When the City joined us the average drive was 900 Kms/Month. That was perfect for the City. Now things have changed and the average will be 3000 kms/month. So Looking for "Diesel City" (read: Vento!)
Old 12th October 2011, 00:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. When the City joined us the average drive was 900 Kms/Month. That was perfect for the City. Now things have changed and the average will be 3000 kms/month. So Looking for "Diesel City" (read: Vento!)
I also own a Honda City SMT i-VTEC. If I were in your place I would have switched to one higher segment diesel sedan say Cruze or Altis.

And the other segment is not that expensive as compared to Vento.

Anyhow just don't blindly go for Vento. Do test drive Fiesta diesel, Verna diesel along with D segment cars and then make a decision.

OR

you can keep the i-VTEC for weekend journeys and get a diesel hatchback like Swift for daily commute.

You will definitely miss the fun factor of the i-VTEC once you shift to a diesel.

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th October 2011 at 00:52.
Old 12th October 2011, 09:25   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. I have 70% highway drives and speeds close to or above 120. The Verna is just of question here.

So I am only left with the Vento. I had considered the Optra but ruled it out after research on Team-bhp. Also it a car that is at the end of life.

I am considering the Laura or the Corolla D-4D, but that needs some more thought.
Do not go for the corolla if 70% of your driving is going to be on the highways. I just took my new Altis diesel to jaipur and although it can easily climb to 120-140 but there are far better options in that segment for highway driving. Altis is a great city car though.

Take a TD of the Cruze. You will enjoy it a lot on the highways.

Skoda is good if you are ok with Skoda ***, both the experience and the cost.

Also take a look at the Jetta if your budget allows. Brilliant to drive and comes with a lot of safety gadgets.

Last but not the least why not the Innova or the newly launched XUV?
Old 12th October 2011, 09:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

I guess since you are contemplating Vento, you really dont have the budget to look for C+ segment (Cruze, Altis, Jetta).

In the C segment, currently Vento is the best that you can go for in Diesel (since you have already ruled out Optra Magnum). If hatchbacks are OK with you, then look for options in Tanveer's thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-s-phobia.html

If you are thinking of C+, then bear in mind that Cruze suffers from lack of rear seat comfort, Altis suffers from lack of driving pleasure on highways and Jetta suffers from lack of ACC

As Mohit mentioned above, try out the XUV5OO and Innova too.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:03   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
As far as I have heard, it has much better back seat comfort than the Vento.
Dont know about the Rapid yet.. but yes, the Vento backseat is not very comfortable. I am thinking about what could be done to rectify that since we already have the car. Will have a look at the Rapid to see if something can be done to fix that problem.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:11   #67
Senior - BHPian

Cant really say anything on point 2 but on the first point - have you had a test drive of the car , we just had one member only yesterday putting up a post on how happy he is with the Verna upto 150kmph speeds.

Quote:
Verna is ruled out due to the following reasons

1. I have 70% highway drives and speeds close to or above 120. The Verna is just of question here.
2. I need an immediate replace and can't wait 8 months for the car
3. 50% usage will be 4 people and lesser said about the rear seat comfort of the Verna the better

Old 12th October 2011, 10:20   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are not upgrading to another segment then Vento is the best diesel available in the C segment.
For your posts it looks like you have almost decided on the Vento, and there ownership reports there to validate your decision.

All the best!

Cheers!
Old 12th October 2011, 10:57   #69
BHPian

if you can wait then why no XUV5OO,its is a great car and comes with lot of gadgets,or you can look at cruze as well thats an awesome car on highway,there are many other options as well.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:50   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

You haven't mentioned which year your City S is, so I have assumed it is a 2009 S MT.
Ran some numbers. As per carwale, your car should fetch 7.25 lac give or take. Made some more assumptions and this is what your breakeven period looks like:
Vento TDi Highline or City V or Skoda Fabia 1.6-switch.png

Even assuming you get 8.0 lac for your car and manage to get a 20K discount on your new TDI, you will take 4 years to break even.
Vento TDi Highline or City V or Skoda Fabia 1.6-switch2.png

Like I said- not worth it. The initial depreciation is the killer. The calculation would make more sense if you opt for a USED Tdi that will have depreciated about 20% since it was purchased, but am pretty sure there are none of those in the market available easily!
I ran the numbers for my Vento AT as well, which returns an even more dismal FE (around 10) and will fetch even lower resale than a City SMT. My breakeven comes to 6 years!

But in my case, I CANNOT put a price on the intangibles: comfort that an AT provides, higher perceived badge value of the German marque, etc. So I will stick to my car no matter what!

Suggest you take a cold had look at your intangibles as well. If the steering-mounted controls, climatronic, VW brand vs Honda, sheer might of the TDI engine etc. mean a lot to you and the additional outlay is something you can live with, why on earth not?
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 12:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

And @noopster, add to that the higher absolute depreciation of the Vento over the next 4-5 yrs. A 2009 City might lose another 4L and sell for 4, 4.5 in 2015. The high initial (first/second year) depreciation has already happened. I'd hazard a guess that a 2011 Vento will sell for 6L in 2015? At the minimum it will lose 4-5L from the 12L OTR, if not more.

Had it not been a Honda petrol, this may not have been a factor. But old Honda petrols do tend to retain good resale values.

And @man_and_machine, also consider this. Your usage has suddenly increased from 900 to3000kms / per month. Do you see that kind of usage being sustained for the next 5 years? If it comes down, your break even becomes even longer.

Last edited by shuvc : 12th October 2011 at 12:13.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 12:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I also own a Honda City SMT i-VTEC. If I were in your place I would have switched to one higher segment diesel sedan say Cruze or Altis.

And the other segment is not that expensive as compared to Vento.

Anyhow just don't blindly go for Vento. Do test drive Fiesta diesel, Verna diesel along with D segment cars and then make a decision.

OR

you can keep the i-VTEC for weekend journeys and get a diesel hatchback like Swift for daily commute.

You will definitely miss the fun factor of the i-VTEC once you shift to a diesel.
Miss the Honda City ! you bet I will. I have done the TD of the Verna, Corolla and Vento, Linea. Cruze, Fiesta pending ! Sure, no buying decision will be made before a TD.. that is agaisnt Team-bhp soul :-) .
Old 12th October 2011, 12:23   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You haven't mentioned which year your City S is, so I have assumed it is a 2009 S MT.
Ran some numbers. As per carwale, your car should fetch 7.25 lac give or take. Made some more assumptions and this is what your breakeven period looks like:
Attachment 825812

Even assuming you get 8.0 lac for your car and manage to get a 20K discount on your new TDI, you will take 4 years to break even.
Attachment 825813

Like I said- not worth it. The initial depreciation is the killer. The calculation would make more sense if you opt for a USED Tdi that will have depreciated about 20% since it was purchased, but am pretty sure there are none of those in the market available easily!
I ran the numbers for my Vento AT as well, which returns an even more dismal FE (around 10) and will fetch even lower resale than a City SMT. My breakeven comes to 6 years!

But in my case, I CANNOT put a price on the intangibles: comfort that an AT provides, higher perceived badge value of the German marque, etc. So I will stick to my car no matter what!

Suggest you take a cold had look at your intangibles as well. If the steering-mounted controls, climatronic, VW brand vs Honda, sheer might of the TDI engine etc. mean a lot to you and the additional outlay is something you can live with, why on earth not?
Gee Man! Thanks for the numbers. I have run an excel myself with the same numbers and you are close to what I got, but I appreciate your help very much. There is a hidden factor here that I need to bring up that will change the whole equation.

Mine is a Company car so I only pay for the Ex-showroom price of the car and now the OTR. I also pay an EMI to the company on the ex-showroom price. When I pre-close the car lease I will need to pay only the book depreciation value so I assume I will be pay 5.5 L approx. That way I gain by selling the City ! (does this little secret not change the whole game upside down )

My real concern is will the Vento treat me the same (atleast almost the same)
as my beloved City!
Old 12th October 2011, 12:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
And @noopster, add to that the higher absolute depreciation of the Vento over the next 4-5 yrs. A 2009 City might lose another 4L and sell for 4, 4.5 in 2015. The high initial (first/second year) depreciation has already happened. I'd hazard a guess that a 2011 Vento will sell for 6L in 2015? At the minimum it will lose 4-5L from the 12L OTR, if not more.

Had it not been a Honda petrol, this may not have been a factor. But old Honda petrols do tend to retain good resale values.

And @man_and_machine, also consider this. Your usage has suddenly increased from 900 to3000kms / per month. Do you see that kind of usage being sustained for the next 5 years? If it comes down, your break even becomes even longer.
Yes. Pretty much, there are going to be these long highway drives and frequent city errands (read: take the car even to the vegetable market).
Old 12th October 2011, 13:53   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
<snip>........</snip>

Excellent summary, noopster.

I'd a similar confusion earlier (and even started a thread).After all feedbacks and GTO's thread about continuing the old car,than switching to new, I've decided to retain my Ford Ikon and Honda City --Both on their 6th year--for some more time.

As petrol prices are going high, the second hand value for these cars have came down drastically. The break-in period will come down, only when you drive more kilometers. The after sale service charges for diesel cars ,crosses 10K when you do that.

I really enjoy Honda's 800 Rs service bill for those 5000 KM services.
If you can maintain well, I think Honda City is a long term ownership car.
mykal shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks