Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 08:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

To buy or not to buy a T Jet+. NOW BOUGHT.

Gentlemen....I have waited long, saved hard and am now ready to buy the car I love the most. A Fiat Linea T Jet+.

I have read everything I possibly can about this car, its little brother's, on this forum and this gives me the confidence to buy this car. One thing is clear, this is the best drivers car in the segment. There is nothing to beat it.

As usual and being a Fiat, I have some concerns and this probably was the result of doing dealer visits. I am also glad I did a round up of all the important dealers in my city. It now gives me an idea about who cares and who does not.

I did write to some important people at Fiat India. The usual suspects most people recommend writing to on this forum. There was no straight forward answer from them.

I had visited Prerana Motors in Lalbagh. I had casually asked them about when the last T Jet+ was manufactured. They went through their computer system and said May 2011. I was shocked. I do not really want to buy a car that has been sitting in the stock yard for the last 6 months. Your thoughts on this? Besides, Prerana was not really interested in selling me a car. I was treated really well by Mr. Suhas. What annoyed me the most was a "NO" for every question I had. No display car, no test drive car and no finance person. They did follow up on the finance bit yesterday.

It was a similar story, if not as bad when I asked the same question at Concorde and Aadya Motors. The car will be 3 - 4 months old. Concorde went on to say that Fiat car production is stopped in November or end October to clear all un sold units.

Who or what do I believe and the end all question, do I buy this car?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th November 2011 at 08:05. Reason: the word "now" was supposed to be "not"
Old 15th November 2011, 08:25   #2
J.Ravi

re: To buy or not to buy a T Jet+. NOW BOUGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I had visited Prerana Motors in Lalbagh. I had casually asked them about when the last T Jet+ was manufactured. They went through their computer system and said May 2011.
FIAT India stopped production of Linea from May 2011 to clear the accumulated stock at discounted prices, IIRC. All the potential buyers are facing this problem. Low volume of sales+scheduled annual maintenance+lack of interest for year-end manufactured cars, etc., took a toll on Linea's numbers notwithstanding fabulous discounts during festive season. Other manufacturers announce discounted prices and clear their accumulated stocks just like hot cakes. But not FIAT India.:(
  (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 08:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
One thing is clear, this is the best drivers car in the segment. There is nothing to beat it.
Hi Sandeep, Clearly you want a car made for enthusiast and put the car driving experience, performance first. I will strongly recommend you to test drive a Laura TSI. Again as is the case with Linea t-jet, TSI's are not really flying off the shelf and you must be able to negotiate some pretty heavy discounts on the TSI Classic and it must not be too much of a stretch as compared to t-Jet + in terms of price.
rohitm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 08:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gentlemen....I have waited long, saved hard and am now ready to buy the car I love the most. A Fiat Linea T Jet+.

I have read everything I possibly can about this car, its little brother's, on this forum and this gives me the confidence to buy this car. One thing is clear, this is the best drivers car in the segment. There is nothing to beat it.

As usual and being a Fiat, I have some concerns and this probably was the result of doing dealer visits. I am also glad I did a round up of all the important dealers in my city. It now gives me an idea about who cares and who does not.

I did write to some important people at Fiat India. The usual suspects most people recommend writing to on this forum. There was no straight forward answer from them.

I had visited Prerana Motors in Lalbagh. I had casually asked them about when the last T Jet+ was manufactured. They went through their computer system and said May 2011. I was shocked. I do not really want to buy a car that has been sitting in the stock yard for the last 6 months. Your thoughts on this? Besides, Prerana was not really interested in selling me a car. I was treated really well by Mr. Suhas. What annoyed me the most was a "NO" for every question I had. No display car, no test drive car and no finance person. They did follow up on the finance bit yesterday.

It was a similar story, if not as bad when I asked the same question at Concorde and Aadya Motors. The car will be 3 - 4 months old. Concorde went on to say that Fiat car production is stopped in November or end October to clear all un sold units.

Who or what do I believe and the end all question, do I buy this car?
Past 3 months sales for Linea averages around 138 units. IMHO, TJET alone would have sold sold a maximum of only 5 units across India per month. I wont be too surprised if FIAT India chooses to axe this variant in the coming months.

It doesn't making any economical sense at all having an engine variant if they sales are so abysmally small. (Unlike the other petrol/ diesel engines they share with TATA + now Maruti).

I'd consider the below alternatives too, for the same budget -

1. Pre-worshipped Civic + performance upgrades + stiffer rear suspension.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nda-civic.html

2. New Optra Magnum + remapping + suspension upgrade. (Overshoots the budget - but its a diesel, and a rocket).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-pg-4-a-4.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th November 2011 at 08:46.
Old 15th November 2011, 09:45   #5
BHPian

Although am a Fiat fan and would have recommended you to go for it but considering what you mentined about no further production of T Jet variant, i would say skip it and as someone adviced, go for the Laura TSI instead.

Agreed both cars are low volume cars but Skoda's certainty to continue with TSi is more likely than the Fiat's Tjet.

Had it been a Fiat Diesel then you could have gone for it, without second thoughts. Actually, Fiat cars are so brilliant that there diesels (which share the engines with other manufacturers) is alright to gamble but not something which is low on sales and has a possibility to go extinct.
This is a combination of sensibility + practicality.
namit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 09:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you can please wait for Jan 2012. Fiat is not planning to AXE the TJET at all.

The production will start again. the production being stopped had various parameters too it. Economics of scale.

the engine and many components on TJET are imported and unless there are good numbers its not profitable to import the units.
amit_mechengg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 10:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

@rohitm The Tsi would be pushing it. The T Jet+ itself is border line on my budget. There is just no way I can look at a Skoda even after the discounts. It is not going to be a 10 lac on the road car. Apart from this, I have read only negative things about engine longevity on a Skoda. I plan on keeping my car for some time and Fiat engines are reliable. It is the stuff around it that is not.

@Crazy Driver Thank you for the suggestions. I do love the Civic. It is just out of reach on a financial front.

Not interested in a really old Chevrolet. As a model, it is a really old car.

@amit It is good to know they are not trashing the T Jet. Are you suggesting to wait as I will get a 2012 car?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th November 2011 at 10:25.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ Sandeep - not only that, fiat is expected to facelift/freshen up the punto and linea in auto expo Jan 2012.

yes and you will also get a fresh car.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

sandeep, consider going in for a used T-Jet next year - you'll get a good bargain given the soaring prices of petrol. I remember seeing a used T-jet on the t-bhp classifieds in Bangalore - don't know if it's still up for sale.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

@sandeepmohan - Go for the TJet+ if your heart says it. What you need is a thorough PDI to ensure no major issues are there. Minor niggles will always be there and there's no guarantee that a (so-called) competitor company's latest manufactured model will not have it.

The prices going on for the Tjet are very tempting and indeed makes the deal all the more sweeter. There is no way Fiat is going to axe this model. It is their top of the line car and most components of the engine are imported. Hence, it is costly to manufacture. Also, Fiat (and esp. Tjet) never appealed to the average (i.e. 95%+) car buying population in India as they are concerned with 'average', service schedule and past reputation of Fiat.

TJet is a true enthusiast's car and the best one can afford at 10 lacs bracket. Its a pure heart-rules-the-head decision.

Finally, if you can wait, maybe Jan 2012 would be a good idea, though it is not sure when production would be resumed for the Tjet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
sandeep, consider going in for a used T-Jet next year - you'll get a good bargain given the soaring prices of petrol. I remember seeing a used T-jet on the t-bhp classifieds in Bangalore - don't know if it's still up for sale.
An interesting side to the argument - it's been 1 year since the TJet has been launched. But I have not seen EVEN ONE SINGLE car in the second hand market. I know many TJet owners and none want to part with this beauty. Infact, the one on TBHP classifieds has also been pulled back!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 15th November 2011 at 10:53.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:54   #11
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I remember seeing a used T-jet on the t-bhp classifieds in Bangalore - don't know if it's still up for sale.
That ad has already been removed as the owner changed his mind and wants to keep his T-Jet for another 3-4 years. See here for details.
  (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 11:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

I say Go For IT!

All you need to remember is that the warranty of a car starts from the date of sale, so a thorough PDI should be ok.

Plus if you intend to buy now, you can negotiate heavily on discounts and interest rates. Jan 2012 may give you a newer car, may be even a facelifted model but that will costlier as well. So take your pick.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 11:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
@rohitm The Tsi would be pushing it. The T Jet+ itself is border line on my budget. There is just no way I can look at a Skoda even after the discounts. It is not going to be a 10 lac on the road car. Apart from this, I have read only negative things about engine longevity on a Skoda. I plan on keeping my car for some time and Fiat engines are reliable. It is the stuff around it that is not.
Hello Sandeep, from one T-Jet Owner to hopefully another one soon enough.

I agree with amit_mechengg, that the T-Jet is not going to be axed from production and is infact going for a makeover sometime soon, though I don't really know when!!!

As a T-Jet Owner, let me tell you that not once, not ever have I EVER regretted buying this car. Similar to your story, I am a regular on car forums and a sucker for AutoMags, so I knew all the pitfalls that may accompany buying a Fiat. I also was well aware of the various options available in lieu of the T-Jet in the same segment. Further I bought my car in Jan 2011, so I was not offered much by way of discounts.

But as I have mentioned before on this forum, I did not even test drive ANY other car. I just knew in my gut that this is the car for me.. period.
What helped me immensely is that my showroom buying experience and subsequent service visits have been butter smooth, and I have never really experienced any problem till date.

Of course, do your due diligence and have a through PDI, by all means.

But as I said, I love my car and have never regretted buying it because I followed my heart. Though it might not be exactly relevant here, but to quote a great man

"The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it."

Best Of Luck!!
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 11:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

T-Jet is offered at a price less than actually what it deserves. This car is absolute value for money. What car will give you Turbo charged petrol engine with loads of features like ACC, Leather seats, 16" Alloys, 4 disc brakes and more? I know people who booked for the T-Jet are getting only Apr/May 2011 manufactured cars. Since we are at the end of the year, I suggest you to wait till January and get 2012 T-Jet.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
the engine and many components on TJET are imported and unless there are good numbers its not profitable to import the units.
And that is the concern.

Sales of less than 5-10 units per month across india puts huge financial burden for sustaining an engine variant, specially when its imported- and that too in this segment where you can't charge a heavy premium for a performance variant.

And the same economies of scale is amplified in case of spare parts as well, affecting costs and availability.

Anyways, waiting for auto expo sounds the best option if heart is set on T-Jet only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks