Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 11:02   #16
BHPian

re: Chauffeur driven Sedan under Rs. 10 Lakh

Has to be Sunny. Even I am planning to suggest the same to my Dad who wishes to upgrade his Wagon R.

Though have not seen it in flesh but as per the reviews heard it has excellent rear bench comfort/space, decent handling, good mileage. Within 10L budget, I think this should be your pick. Do a test drive and let us know your reviews
Old 27th June 2012, 11:10   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Based on your FIL's requirements, I would suggest either the Tata Manza or the Nissan Sunny- both have dependable, fairly powerful yet frugal diesel powertrains and acres of room in back.

The Rapid mid-variant may also suit the requirement well. Vento highline will be out of budget for sure.

I wouldn't reccomend the Fulidic Verna since its back seat isn't known to be the most comfy.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Tata Manza has better space and decent service record compared to Nissan. Nissan service records are not really known. More of an unknown. Logan is another car which has great rear space and costs must less.

Used cars include Civic, Cruze or even a slightly costlier used Superb.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Hello guys! My father in law is looking for options for a Chauffeur driven Sedan.....Your thoughts are welcome.
My $0.02 - Apart from the Sunny & Manza, you might want to take a look at the Diesel Fiesta Classic. The SXi with ABS & Airbags should comfortably fit in 10L. It looks good, has a proven engine, gives excellent mileage, Ford service these days is not that expensive [or so I've heard] and the rear seat is quite comfy for a person of medium height or less.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th June 2012, 11:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
My $0.02 - Apart from the Sunny & Manza, you might want to take a look at the Diesel Fiesta Classic. The SXi with ABS & Airbags should comfortably fit in 10L. It looks good, has a proven engine, gives excellent mileage, Ford service these days is not that expensive [or so I've heard] and the rear seat is quite comfy for a person of medium height or less.

Cheers,
Vikram

Trust me, the rear seat of the fiesta is not where you want to spend longish amounts of time.
Very comfortable,but not very roomy(at least not as much as the competition here) but the focal seats are the front ones.

Dont get a fiesta knowing that its gonna be chauffeur driven.

Different story if you have a 50/50 on driven/drive
Old 27th June 2012, 11:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford service these days is not that expensive [or so I've heard] and the rear seat is quite comfy for a person of medium height or less.
Have travelled extensively in both Verna and Fiesta and can say the rear seat comfort is not really as good as a Logan or Manza. Sunny have only test driven but Manza and Logan have travelled good distance in the rear seat.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:46   #22
BHPian

If one can overlook the drab interior, Etios diesel should also be looked into. As per GTO's review, rear seat comfort is very good in Etios as well.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I would suggest a corolla altise. The peace of mind and hassle free ownership this car gives coupled with reasonable space and equipment and you have a winner on your hands.
I think the Altis would be a little over the budget. Again at that price Top end sunny would rock. Agreed that the A.S.S for Nissan is unknown but then after the great reviews from GTO himself it seems to be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Fair enough. I just dont like the way the sunny looks. Plus the interiors are seriously drab.But they did manage to position it as a VFM product. So i guess you right , given the budget , it does fit the bill .
Agreed it is not that great in the looks department. But looking at it from a workhorse point A to point B perspective & Chauffeur driven looks like this is the car for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Looking at the average monthly running, should it not be a petrol car or is the high petrol prices making your FIL tilt towards diesel. IMO no point in paying extra 1-2L for the Diesel. Looking at the most imp reqmt of chaffeur driven, I guess Tata Manza fits the bill and ticks all the reqmts(even the first one).
The diesel is an important requirement as the petrol prices are going to reach the sky, also being chauffeur driven, it is assumed that the car is going to be abused, the petrol car would anyway give low mileage, hence he is tilting towards the diesel variant. The Manza with the Tata baggage and future rattles is not something he wants.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:06   #24
BHPian

Based on your requirement, apart from Sunny might I also recommend Etios Diesel.

Requirements:
  • Should be diesel. - Yes
  • Good fuel efficiency. - Yes
  • Good rear seat comfort. - Yes
  • Decent power. - Yes
  • Should be in the range of 8-10 lacs (could be extended a bit) - Much below that
  • Should have all the safety equipment - Go in for the GD with a safety package option. Should be closer to 7.1 ex-showroom
  • Easy to maintain - Most definitely
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 12:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys!

My father in law is looking for options for a Chauffeur driven Sedan.

[*] Should be diesel.[*] Good fuel efficiency.[*] Good rear seat comfort.[*] Decent power.[*] Should be in the range of 8-10 lacs (could be extended a bit)[*] Should have all the safety equipment[*]Easy to maintain[/list]I have suggested the Nissan Sunny, which I think suits him best. I mean it is going to be Chauffeur driven hence bells and whistles are not needed. It is a complete workhorse
Please go ahead and buy the Nissan Sunny XLd or XVD with your eyes closed. The car was tailor made for your requirements. I have one and trust me it offers mindboggling rear bench space. Flirt with the altis only if you want a car from the D1 segment and the associated image value, if thats important. Otherwise It has to be the sunny. BTW the Sunny is much better to drive in the city than the Altis.

The Sunny XLD which has almost everything that you would need in a car including the airbags and ABS should cost you around 9.2 L OTR. I would advice you against the Manza. Its an equally good car but given the innumerable niggles that most cars have, however minor they may be and a not so good after sales, I would not recommend it. The nissan would be a more pleasurable and stress free car to own.

Last edited by drmohitg : 27th June 2012 at 12:28.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 13:26   #26
BHPian

Guys how is the new Dezire in terms of the leg room at the back. How much would a ZDI cost in comparison to the top end Sunny?

Just getting a perspective here. Will be going for a Sunny TD this weekend.
Old 27th June 2012, 13:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys how is the new Dezire in terms of the leg room at the back. How much would a ZDI cost in comparison to the top end Sunny?

Its good at the back.
Surprisingly, its the front that feels smaller.
for eg, if the passenger seat is anywhere forward of midway on the sliders, your knees foul with the glovebox.

To be driven around in, its quite nice actually.
The centre armrest is ideally positioned to gaze out the windows, or to read a newspaper/tab very naturally.

Dont try and jam three in, and its well done.

BUT, you sure you can wait for the 30-38 weeks waiting periods on the ZDi?
Old 27th June 2012, 13:54   #28
BHPian

For me, this is a no-brainer.

1. Sunny XvD
2. Etios Diesel
3. Fiesta Classic Diesel.

They're all perfect cars to be chauffeured around in and all of them meet your criteria. Yes, the Sunny's got the most space, but the Fiesta and the Etios aren't bad either.
Also, diesel is the right choice. 800km is more than enough miles in a month to select diesel as your fuel of choice. The running costs per km of diesel are close to half of what the petrol counterparts of these cars will offer you, and your resale will be MUCH higher when you finally sell the car.

The best thing I'd recommend for you is to take your FIL and MIL to test-drive all three cars in one day. They can evaluate the rear-seat comfort, overall features of the car, and any other critera they're considering and choose the car they like best. To be honest, you can't go wrong with any of these three.
Old 27th June 2012, 13:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The new Dzire should cost you around 70-80k less than the Sunny XLD.

As far as the rear bench comfort is concerned let me just request you to go and sit in both the cars back to back. My dad was slightly confused too if he should rather go with a new Dzire since it came from MSIL and every owner has only good things to say about there Dzires. The Maruti showroom is right next to the Nissan showroom here and this is exactly what I made my dad do. 5 seconds into the car, my dad had made up his mind to go with the Sunny.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 14:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you are trying to explore the Dzire, then why not check the Verito.

Afterall it has the same engine block of the Sunny albeit in a lower state of tune but that wouldn't matter since it is driven around and with great mileage.

Also the D6 or the Executive would be around 7-7.2 ex showroom with all the bells and whistles like leather seats (Executive) and other safety features (ABS / EBD)

It is also a well known fact that it is one of the most comfortable back bencher in the market (the front seats would be pushed ahead in most cases while chaf driven anyway releasing more space)

To top it all, you would get immediate deliveries to boot (ah yes boot is huge too)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks