Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2006, 11:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Its not the palio D that I have coined as dated. Its the Engine plonked under tha hood which is dated and its a stark reality. I am not trying to be rude in any way.

True that palio D is the best diesel hatch in the country and yet the only other diesel hatch Indica D goes on to be the best selling diesel hatch in the country.

more than 75% populace doesnt know what drive by wire means. And I dunno if that will make up for the fact that the 1.9D is a non-turbo underpowered diesel engine strained to carry a monster hatch which weighs more than a ton. Mileage is certainly an asset though with the car being a low power torquey diesel.

But then the other strengths you mentioned are not that of the diesel car but for the palio platform as a whole.

And as far as I remember Power was one of his requirements.
Devarshi,
Firstly, you need to test-drive a Palio D before sharing your assumptions on Palio D.

The engine of Palio D is not oudated either, though it may not be as great as CRDi, it is one of the best Diesel engines. And, it is certainly not under-powerd, It has lotz of Power and Torque to zip off the road. You will believe it, when you drive it.

All the features of a Palio hold good for Palio D too.

I don't want to waste time arguing why Indica D sells more than Palio D.
When you buy a Car, you need to look at the features of the Car rather than sales figures!!!
Old 12th May 2006, 16:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Devarshi,
The engine of Palio D is not oudated either, though it may not be as great as CRDi, it is one of the best Diesel engines. And, it is certainly not under-powerd, It has lotz of Power and Torque to zip off the road. You will believe it, when you drive it.
Ok, then lets take this engine and compare it to another 1.9L diesel engine that we are familiar with.

The former gives lesser FE and lesser power/torque than the latter, even when the latter has 200 extra kgs to lug around, and the latter is infinitely more refined and fun to drive. And the latter is well worth the 12L price it commands.

Putting a mammoth 1.9L engine in a hatchback is an overkill - reminds me of big-muscled american classics - big, powerful, fun to drive but utterly inefficient and obsolete - quite a pointless proposition in India, unless one is a fanatic.
Old 12th May 2006, 17:22   #63
BHPian

ap9dm - bro,You might be pretty confused by now....
Regarding Power,recently,one of my friends had test driven PALIO D and he was amazed at the kind of power it had !
So,I would like to second finneyp here...
Old 12th May 2006, 18:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Ok, then lets take this engine and compare it to another 1.9L diesel engine that we are familiar with.

The former gives lesser FE and lesser power/torque than the latter, even when the latter has 200 extra kgs to lug around, and the latter is infinitely more refined and fun to drive. And the latter is well worth the 12L price it commands.

Putting a mammoth 1.9L engine in a hatchback is an overkill - reminds me of big-muscled american classics - big, powerful, fun to drive but utterly inefficient and obsolete - quite a pointless proposition in India, unless one is a fanatic.
Chillax dude.... nothing to get worked up here!
You are compairing engines in cars, with a cost difference greater than 7 lakh rupees!
Try this, stop to a stand still in third gear with two persons on board, AC running in a Palio 1.9 D and then simply let go of the clutch as u normally would and it will move on without a murmer! Try this on ur other 1.9 nad tell me if it can manage that!
On second thoughts how about compairing the 1.9 pump duse with 1.9 JTD... that will be a fair comparison not the you are doing currently!
Old 12th May 2006, 19:07   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
ap9dm - bro,You might be pretty confused by now....
Regarding Power,recently,one of my friends had test driven PALIO D and he was amazed at the kind of power it had !
So,I would like to second finneyp here...
Friends
I have decided. People just live once... so lets rock it...
I am going with Palio 1.6 Sports.

And yea, the next one will be a Merc (5 years from now).
Old 12th May 2006, 19:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap9dm
Friends, I have decided. People just live once... so lets rock it... I am going with Palio 1.6 Sports.
That's the spirit, man.
Go for what your heart says. Live life the way you want, instead of being dictated by IOCL, HPCL, etc.
Old 12th May 2006, 19:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Friends

Excellent choice....!!!
Now, its time to watch the gals lined up
check this out....
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...id-1523590.cms
[Information Courtesy from PUG: Just to give a glimpse of the interesting discussions there!!]
Old 12th May 2006, 19:59   #68
BHPian

why ignore the FIESTA !! ??
Old 12th May 2006, 20:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Another good car and my choice among the current mid-sizers. Much more improved on the Ikon with a bit lesser Fun to drive factor. But I guess that decision has been made.

Quote:
Friends

Congrats my friend and enjoy the Palio. I have heard that there is something to do with the clutch (possibly drive by wire) to gain proper economy but I am not sure. I heard this from my Roommate here who had a palio 1.2 before. Ask the Technician at Fiat about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Devarshi,
Firstly, you need to test-drive a Palio D before sharing your assumptions on Palio D.

All the features of a Palio hold good for Palio D too.

I don't want to waste time arguing why Indica D sells more than Palio D.
When you buy a Car, you need to look at the features of the Car rather than sales figures!!!
I fully understand your sentiments and agree that the whole palio lineage is really good including the palio D( Its light ages ahead of the older 1.7). All the mags have also written rave reviews for this one considering its price, positioning and features. But that is sorely due to the fact that only 2 diesel hatches are currently available in the market and its true.

How can a diesel car with hardly 63 horses weighing more than a ton be fast enough. Its certainly much better than the lancer diesel, Indica diesel( It still is the largest selling diesel car in India) and those old esteem/zen diesels. But todays Crdi's take the car hands down.
Old 12th May 2006, 20:25   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Because it costs a lot.. I just dont want to jump into that segment rite now..

BTW how does FIESTA compare with Aveo
Old 12th May 2006, 20:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Call them Twins from different parents.

Both are almost equally good but I will choose Fiesta if its my choice.
Old 12th May 2006, 21:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:

Bichade huaee Bhai
Old 14th May 2006, 22:23   #73
BHPian

Hi Friends,
Today I went for test drive. Saw the palio/petra/adventure for the first time in all glory. Once I saw Adventure, all my calculations went haywire. That car just rocks. Earlier I used to think that NHC is the best looking car under 10 lakh, but Adventure kicks in the bu** (totally personaly opinion).

I am getting this car on 6.10 lakh OTR, with 5k worth accessories. I am going to go for it even at this price. I was wondering if I can squeeze the dealer to give even better discounts.

Any tips/warnings before I close the deal this wednesday.

Thanks to all the ppl who helped me make this decision.
Old 14th May 2006, 22:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ap9dm. Welcome to the Fiat club. You'll enjoy the ride whatever Fiat you choose.

I am driving Palio 1.9 D for the past 20 months. Excellent car. Good pickup though not in the lines of CRDI. Today I took the delivery of Accent Viva CRDI. It defnetely has better engine. But on the lower side of the CRDI Palio 1.9 is the best Dsl. Though I read the old Siena 1.7 with turbo has much more power but it has other problems.
Old 14th May 2006, 23:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,
Today I went for test drive. Saw the palio/petra/adventure for the first time in all glory. Once I saw Adventure, all my calculations went haywire. That car just rocks. Earlier I used to think that NHC is the best looking car under 10 lakh, but Adventure kicks in the bu** (totally personaly opinion).

I am getting this car on 6.10 lakh OTR, with 5k worth accessories. I am going to go for it even at this price. I was wondering if I can squeeze the dealer to give even better discounts.

Any tips/warnings before I close the deal this wednesday.

Thanks to all the ppl who helped me make this decision.
As I said earlier too. Adventure is a nice car. Select a nice bright colour to go with the black bumpers and booom!!!!!

Look at the adventure sports edition in Red.

Some of the notable things to keep in mind are.

1. FE will be lower by 1-2 km than the palio
2. Weight is more
3. Michelin tyres are specially made for the rough and have more wear and tear.
4. Driving a estate is difference than a hatch or a sedan. Do take a test drive to notice the difference.
5. I believe A/c effect will be less due to the larger room.

Overall an excellent car.

Cant say much about discounts as I dont reside there.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 14th May 2006 at 23:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks