Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 01:06   #1
BHPian

Petra?

Hi Friends,
I am stuck with one of the toughest decisions and seek your advice. I am a pretty novice car driver (hope to improve things by the end of this month). I am thinking about buying my first car.
The cars I am considering are:
1. Swift
2. Fiat Palio
3. Fiat Petra

My plans are of owing a car for around 5 years and then go for a new *big* car. For precisely this reason I am not looking to spend more than 6L on a car right now.

I care about the following:
1. Looks (either swift, or a big car)
2. No nagging problems (like rattling in swift, or frequent issues)
3. If possible, should be one of the new models

I dont care about the FE so much.

I care about looks of the car a lot, and was almost decided on Swift. However I have read some bad reviews about the build quality of Swift. I also have a friend, who owns both a Swift and a Palio and is pretty strong about going for Palio.

I have read some really good reviews about the Palio. What I am really curious is if the advantage of Petra over Palio. I am also curious that is there any other car in the segment which scores over these cars.

Thanks for all the help
Old 10th May 2006, 01:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you are in Mumbai, and do not want to spend more than 6L, then my friend look no further than the Petra. But do take a test drive and compare it against the following - the Esteem, the Ford Ikon and the Baleno. The Baleno might have you in a dilemma, but on pure VFM grounds (once again you are in Mumbai), I think the Petra will win.

Do keep us posted.

P.S. Actually feels nice recommending a Petra.
Old 10th May 2006, 01:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
If you are in Mumbai, and do not want to spend more than 6L, then my friend look no further than the Petra. But do take a test drive and compare it against the following - the Esteem, the Ford Ikon and the Baleno. The Baleno might have you in a dilemma, but on pure VFM grounds (once again you are in Mumbai), I think the Petra will win.

Do keep us posted.

P.S. Actually feels nice recommending a Petra.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was curious about how things change with being in mumbai . Good *** ??
Baleno is 6.22 on road and Petra is 5.63 on road. So there is a huge gap of 60k. In case you own Petra, can you please point me to some pics of Petra. The site of Fiat (India) is down since past few days.

One more point, I stay pretty close to office. So maximum use for the vehicle would be once a week long ride in mumbai and once a month long ride outside mumbai.

thanks
Old 10th May 2006, 02:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont have any pics on me right now. You could browse the gallery.

Regarding the location, I think you could go for a Fiat if you are Mumbai / Pune because the manufacturer is based out of Mumbai and if there is a move it will be to someplace close to Pune. *** is not a problem (with me and a majority of the Fiat guys I guess from this area), spares are cheaper and easier to get and the car is cheaper!

I got my Petra for less than 5L on road (not considering the interest cost that is). If you are going to use the car sparingly, then why even consider the others? Of course I am a bit enthusiastic, but I sincerely think the Petra is for you. That being said, do take a test ride and convince yourself.
Old 10th May 2006, 02:09   #5
BHPian

Oh, cool
I guess you were lucky to get Petra for such a less price. Petra ELX costs around 463k.

Could you help me with how does it compare with Baleno.
Old 10th May 2006, 02:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check this gallery out of greatdrive. Thats his Petra.

You have to decide do you need a boot and if the answer is yes Petra it is otherwise go for the Palio 1.6, the Swift doesnot stand a chance any way near!

EDIT - Your welcome buddy.

ORP is 5L and difference is that Petra has a boot and music system wheras Palio has ABS and Alloys.

Last edited by BUSA : 10th May 2006 at 02:34.
Old 10th May 2006, 02:29   #7
BHPian

Great pics. Thanks

Whats the ORP of Palio 1.6, and diff in terms of featues between petra ELX and Palio.

Thanks again.
Old 10th May 2006, 02:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ap9dm, let me first scare you by saying that I am seeing someone going for Petra after long time on this forum (around 2-3 months). I guess, last one was AvneeshKeez from Chennai, who eventually bought Ikon 1.6.

Having said that, Petra is a helluva of a car. It rides well, it handles well, it has got power, it is safe, built solid, stable at high speeds but then also gives excellent FE. Long list, huh? It has dated interiors, but all controls are driver oriented and ergonomically well placed. Small small things are taken care of such as switches illuminating at night. A/S/S was never a big concern in Mumbai (I suppose), and with Tata backing, things can improve probably further.

But you probably have already read all this on the forum, so no point repeating them. Place your money where your heart is. If that means Swift, go for it. It is newer fresh looking car, though I still regard S10 as the sexiest hatch to grace indian roads. (Don't read much into it, since I rate Lancer higher on looks than any other car in its segment).

Decide what your priorities are. Space? Brand? FE? Power? Looks? Make your decision based on it.

And yes, do not forget to test drive all the cars before you decide on one.

P.S.: Most basic difference in the Petra and Palio is that one is sedan and other is hatback.

Last edited by RX135 : 10th May 2006 at 02:44.
Old 10th May 2006, 02:50   #9
BHPian

Let me rephrase Rx135
In the case that Petra has chance of turning out of be a bad choice, which car would you recommend.

And what is S10 ??

My concerns in order of priority are:
1. Trouble free
2. Good looks
3. Power
4. Space
5. FE
Old 10th May 2006, 04:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what is S10 ??
Fiat Palio S10

Quote:
1. Trouble free
2. Good looks
3. Power
4. Space
5. FE
1. None of the cars today are troublesome unless your unlucky.
2. Looks are subjective. I still rate Palio as best looking hatch in India. Yes, better then Swift.
3. Power? No contest. Palio, Petra powered by the 1.6 TORQUE engine. Baleno is supposed to be damn good too.
4. Palio , Petra are spacious.
5. FE is subjective. I have been very satisfied with the FE of my S10.
Old 10th May 2006, 06:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap9dm
Let me rephrase Rx135
In the case that Petra has chance of turning out of be a bad choice, which car would you recommend.

And what is S10 ??

1. Trouble free
2. Good looks
3. Power
4. Space
5. FE
Looks like fiat and mitsubishi guys share the same sentiments. Its time I start looking at a palio now.

1. trouble-free. Except 1-2 here and there around the country I have not seen a real pissed of car owner. Buy any brand and you will survive.
2. Good looks- are subjective. many like NHC, many like baleno too. Decide which car you like.
3. Power- power resides in 2 segments. Adequate power and NE(Never enough) power. Which do you wanna opt for?
4. Space- With a few MM's to differentiate you dont really need to worry unless you are looking at the esteem or corsa.
5. FE- Usually it depends on the car on what good FE is. You can expect 14 out of a WagonR's 1.1 but Palio's is a 1.6 and it give 10 which is again good considering it weight and displacement.

your budget is 6.00 or below. I would check out the following cars.

fiat petra/palio/adventure (look at the one that suits your tastes)
ford fiesta 1.4 exi/ikon 1.3 flair (petra beats em hands down)
hyundai getz (Getz for me but u like swift and swift wins in all other dept.)
hyundai accent ( 50k more but a good family car. beaten by baleno lancer)
suzuki swift( I personally prefer palio 1.6)
baleno ( power, maruti, FE. Beaten in looks, space, ride and handling)
Esteem (once good faimly car now only good if u gonna mod it upside down)
WagonR ( A superb alternative to B+ segment palio and swift)
Lancer ( 50k more-looks,spacious,ride and handling-not a maruti,4hp less)
tata xeta ( cheap, reliable, FE, Safe but not powerful)
tata indigo ( Fully gsx and dsx with goodies but lacks dvd)

Esteem, baleno, accent and lancer are outdated
indigo lacks power and petra is better at the price mentioned.
xeta is bettered by palio 1.6 with better looks and power.
WagonR is a superb little replacement but u dont have a budget problem
swift scores on looks,interiors,and just adequate power
Getz looks better, low rider but swift and palio take it for a ride
ford fiesta 1.4 is a good option but low on power for your needs
Instead of petra palio adventure rocks

To buy look at palio adventure/palio 1.6. If not a fiat I would look at lancer or baleno.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 10th May 2006 at 06:08.
Old 10th May 2006, 06:50   #12
BHPian

I would def advise u like the other guys to test drive each and every car tht u have on ur list...tht will give u a much better idea about wht u need in a car and the pros and the cons....with the kind of budget and the usage mentioned i would def advise the petra but like as mentioned by gujju bhai above..looks r subjective and im totally not a sienna/petra fan....to me a palio 1.6 is the best bet...
Old 10th May 2006, 10:42   #13
BHPian

Hi
I have put the replies inline with the tag [AP]

Looks like fiat and mitsubishi guys share the same sentiments. Its time I start looking at a palio now.

1. trouble-free. Except 1-2 here and there around the country I have not seen a real pissed of car owner. Buy any brand and you will survive.
[AP] I was worried about the current rattling problems in Swift, and I was also curious how bothersome these rattlings are in a Car. I have never owned a car.

2. Good looks- are subjective. many like NHC, many like baleno too. Decide which car you like.
[AP] The cars I really like in terms of look are Swift, NHC, CRV

3. Power- power resides in 2 segments. Adequate power and NE(Never enough) power. Which do you wanna opt for?
[AP] I am looking for adequate power.

4. Space- With a few MM's to differentiate you dont really need to worry unless you are looking at the esteem or corsa.
[AP] By space, I meant enough for comfortable ride. The main reason for going for Sedan is status symbol

5. FE- Usually it depends on the car on what good FE is. You can expect 14 out of a WagonR's 1.1 but Palio's is a 1.6 and it give 10 which is again good considering it weight and displacement.
[AP] FE upto 10 is fine

your budget is 6.00 or below. I would check out the following cars.

fiat petra/palio/adventure (look at the one that suits your tastes)
ford fiesta 1.4 exi/ikon 1.3 flair (petra beats em hands down)
hyundai getz (Getz for me but u like swift and swift wins in all other dept.)
hyundai accent ( 50k more but a good family car. beaten by baleno lancer)
suzuki swift( I personally prefer palio 1.6)
baleno ( power, maruti, FE. Beaten in looks, space, ride and handling)
Esteem (once good faimly car now only good if u gonna mod it upside down)
WagonR ( A superb alternative to B+ segment palio and swift)
Lancer ( 50k more-looks,spacious,ride and handling-not a maruti,4hp less)
tata xeta ( cheap, reliable, FE, Safe but not powerful)
tata indigo ( Fully gsx and dsx with goodies but lacks dvd)

Esteem, baleno, accent and lancer are outdated
[AP] What are the disadvantages of an outdated model. If resale value is the issue, then would it not be sale the case that 5 years from now Petra may have lower resale value. BTW which cars have the best resale value.

indigo lacks power and petra is better at the price mentioned.
xeta is bettered by palio 1.6 with better looks and power.
WagonR is a superb little replacement but u dont have a budget problem
swift scores on looks,interiors,and just adequate power
[AP] Does swift have better interiors??

Getz looks better, low rider but swift and palio take it for a ride
ford fiesta 1.4 is a good option but low on power for your needs
Instead of petra palio adventure rocks

To buy look at palio adventure/palio 1.6. If not a fiat I would look at lancer or baleno.

[AP] I was curious about why everyone is recommending palio adventure/palio 1.6 instead of petra..

Thanks for all the pain taken send such a big and informative reply.
Old 10th May 2006, 10:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap9dm
Let me rephrase Rx135
And what is S10 ??
1. Trouble free
2. Good looks
3. Power
4. Space
5. FE
My personal second choice is Maruti Baleno, if it falls in your range (it gets beaten in looks, but if you make it black, add spoiler and put nice pimping alloys, it can be stunner). There is ongoing discussion in another thread that performance has dropped a bit with E-III models, but nevertheless, it should be good enough.
Another car to look at is Accent GLE (base model). Though I always hated that car, it is supposedly a jack of all, which you may like. And Hyundari a/s/s is regarded as good as Maruti. It won't be very FE though.
I personally like Corsa 1.4, but it won't fulfill your criteria. Ford 1.3 Flair is good, but quite low on power compared to others.

I have never driven Aveo/Fiesta. So, my comments are not appropriate
on them.
Old 10th May 2006, 11:02   #15
BHPian

I think Petra will be a really good choice.

(A bit off topic)

My brother works for Nawab Motors (Tata dealers) in Noida. Since the Tata-Fiat tieup, Fiat cars are available in their showroom.

Initially the response was slow but now people have started buying the Fiat cars from them. Considering that Tata has recently launched Xeta, if people are buying Palio (especially 1.2) then i think its success for Fiat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks