Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Mitsubishi Lancer

If you want to stick to the Lancer Name but Cedia can do, you can have a rarely used Cedia for around 4 which will be a much better buy than both the City and Lancer.

You can also look at Fiat Linea's if you need a car that appeals to the heart. I would suggest the diesel.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 is also an equal fun to drive as the lancer in my experience though maintainence is slightly higher.

All these cars will fall in the 2.5-4.0 budget depending on mileage, condition, resale etc.

A FRIEND OF mine recently scrapped his Opel Corsa for 30K against the Linea in Ahmedabad.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
If you want to stick to the Lancer Name but Cedia can do, you can have a rarely used Cedia for around 4 which will be a much better buy than both the City and Lancer.

You can also look at Fiat Linea's if you need a car that appeals to the heart. I would suggest the diesel.

Ford Fiesta 1.6 is also an equal fun to drive as the lancer in my experience though maintainence is slightly higher.

All these cars will fall in the 2.5-4.0 budget depending on mileage, condition, resale etc.

A FRIEND OF mine recently scrapped his Opel Corsa for 30K against the Linea in Ahmedabad.
Hi due to budget constraints am sticking to the (City and Lancer) 2004 models. I am exclusively looking at these two cars only so plz suggest accordingly.
Old 9th August 2012, 17:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi Teambhpian's,

I could find a relevant thread so posting my query on this thread. I recently bought a used Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 SLXI LEi(Limited Edition) 2004 petrol model. The car's ODO reads 70K Kms till date. The previous owner didn't have any service records as he was getting it serviced through his local mechanic. He claims he has changed the clutch plate and pressure plate and got a suspension overhaul done. I drove this car for a week and following were my findings:

1. Boot lock does not operate correctly(I feel there is some issue with the locking mechanism)
2. Fuel lid does not operate correctly(There is minor rust on top of the fuel lid which prevents it from shutting completely. Once shut it doesn't open through the remote fuel lid lever.)
3. Screeching noise while the AC is on and while driving the car in 1st gear on low speeds(I believe the suspect is the fan belt and the pulley)
4. Only driver side power window works(There is no action on the other 3 power windows when I use the power window buttons. Can it be serviced or do I have to replace it, if yes then what would be the cost.)
5. Door side rubber beading cut and worn out at some places, hence would like to replace all the four doors window beading.(Any help with the cost)
6. Lights (Front right headlight not working only the parking light works which means the headlight is gone kaput, parking lights i.e. indicators both front and rear not working even if i switch on the parking switch, fog lamps not coming on, headlight only upper beam working)
7. Right side suspension making a mild loose metal clanking sound while going over potholes and rough roads.
8. Power mirrors not folding and unfolding(I can make do with this if the fix is not very costly)
9. The car jerks and judders in the first gear with AC on.

Also the owner was using synthetic oil(Mobil 1) so i will stick to the same.

Apart from all these I need to get the servicing done. My requirement would be to get all the above jobs and servicing done under one single roof by a professional and a good workshop. Since I reside in Bombay(Andheri) what are my options. Should I get the car serviced and do all the work at Aquest Auto at Kalina (Authorised Service Centre)? has anyone had an experience of getting their lancer serviced and repaired from an Authorised Serviced centre?(i know it works out costly but will the work give me a piece of mind)

Awaiting your valuable responses.

Regards,
Navin_V8

(Mods. I had asked this query elsewhere on another thread(Lancer Query) but no response so am posting it here.)
Old 4th September 2012, 10:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am still waiting for a reply. Any Lancer owners reading help me with the parts and service costs. Also is Aquest the Authorised Service Centre for Mitsubishi recommended to carry out all the work listed below?

Awaiting your replies.

Navin_V8.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Navin_V8,

First visit a A S S and ask them to diagonise each issue separately. Get the quote. If seems reasonable, get it fixed. Esle, with the analysis visit a FNG.

First call and check with Mitsubishi A S S, if they have most parts in stock and waht are the approx prices.
Old 4th September 2012, 19:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post

1. Boot lock does not operate correctly(I feel there is some issue with the locking mechanism)
Get the lock checked, it might be misalligned, take it to the A S S they will fix it, if you need a cheaper fix take it to a local door lock repair guy.

Quote:
2. Fuel lid does not operate correctly(There is minor rust on top of the fuel lid which prevents it from shutting completely. Once shut it doesn't open through the remote fuel lid lever.)
This happens mostly if the fuel lid was taken out for getting the pain to match the shade, first try getting aligning it.

Quote:
3. Screeching noise while the AC is on and while driving the car in 1st gear on low speeds(I believe the suspect is the fan belt and the pulley)
Check the AC belt tension, usually that is the culprit.

Quote:
4. Only driver side power window works(There is no action on the other 3 power windows when I use the power window buttons. Can it be serviced or do I have to replace it, if yes then what would be the cost.)
Check if there is any whining noise once you press the button, the channels might be jammed. IF you are a DIY guy, open the door pads (its very simple) Use the working driver side switch to individually check each power window. If that does fix the problem, you need new switches( may be servicing can help) but if that does not work, you need to either replace the mechanism or the winder motor, this should be easily available in the used market it a fraction of cost, also change the channels, cause they might restrict the moment. cost depends upon where you get it from should be with in 4-5k for used and up to 10k for new.

Quote:
5. Door side rubber beading cut and worn out at some places, hence would like to replace all the four doors window beading.(Any help with the cost)
As far as i know this is not easily available, but check the A S S as this part is common in all lancers (even in some cedias). and it is lil expensive should set you back by 10k

Quote:
6. Lights (Front right headlight not working only the parking light works which means the headlight is gone kaput, parking lights i.e. indicators both front and rear not working even if i switch on the parking switch, fog lamps not coming on, headlight only upper beam working)
Try inter changing the bulbs, check the holders, check for the fuses and relays. DO this for all lights

Quote:
7. Right side suspension making a mild loose metal clanking sound while going over potholes and rough roads.
Ask A S S to disassemble the right side and check.

Quote:
8. Power mirrors not folding and unfolding(I can make do with this if the fix is not very costly)
Your car seems to have a lot of electrical problems get them checked only at the A S S, everything sounds related, BTW new one cost 30k

Quote:
Get the car scanned, could be an idling issue or could be bad engine mounts. it can do this even if the cat con is clogged, bypassing it is easy.

Quote:

Apart from all these I need to get the servicing done. My requirement would be to get all the above jobs and servicing done under one single roof by a professional and a good workshop. Since I reside in Bombay(Andheri) what are my options. Should I get the car serviced and do all the work at Aquest Auto at Kalina (Authorised Service Centre)? has anyone had an experience of getting their lancer serviced and repaired from an Authorised Serviced centre?(i know it works out costly but will the work give me a piece of mind)

Awaiting your valuable responses.

Regards,
Navin_V8
Its better to do the first service at A S S to understand all the issues. get all the sensors checked.

Finally congrats for your purchase once all the issues are fixed you would simply love this car. i have mine for more than 12 years now.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 4th September 2012 at 19:56.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hey Pramod thanks for your inputs, I am planning to take the vehicle for servicing early next week to the Mitsubishi Authorised Service Centre.

Can you tell me whether I should stick to synthetic oil(Mobil 1) which was used by the previous owner?

Regards,
Navin_V8
Old 6th September 2012, 14:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you tell me whether I should stick to synthetic oil(Mobil 1) which was used by the previous owner?

Regards,
Navin_V8
Check the compression of the cylinders, if its bad synth- mineral will make no difference. if the compression is good you still have a choice to put whatever you want.

I know mobil 1 makes a lot of difference however you have other things to tend to this should be the last in your list.

Pramod
Old 6th September 2012, 15:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I tried not to respond but had to point out after reading the last point! Dont get me wrong, but why would someone drive with a fuse'd headlight bulb costing anywhere from 80Rs-300Rs (Osram MadeInIndia To Philips imported) and 8 other non-functional parts in a car but ensure he fills in only 1000Rs-a-liter-engine-oil?!

Enough said, I hope you did not pay more than 75K-1L for this, er, car?

Perfect example of how to buy a used car.
Old 6th September 2012, 16:44   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Here a a few pointers against each issue that might help.

1. Many private sedans hardly use their boot, for long periods. Clean, lubricate and refit to check. There could also have been a shunt at the rear resulting in a deformation of the boot. Post photos for more info.

2. Check the alignment of the lid which could have caused rust. Remove, clean lubricate the release cable and refit.

3. Check belt condition and replace if required.

4. All power window parts are individually available in the open market. Get it opened and check each part after cleaning and lubrication.

5. Each beading should cost around INR 1500.00

6. Get the wiring harness, fuses and all the bulbs checked and replace where required. It is a 12 year old car so you might see some burnt, damaged and rat bitten wires too.

7. Is it the suspension or the tail pipe? Get the suspension overhauled with the rest of the car.

8. Go to a good ORVM mech and open the mirrors up with some jugaad. They should work if not broken after cleaning.

9. Check the clutch plates and get the engine serviced thoroughly to check for other possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Enough said, I hope you did not pay more than 75K-1L for this, er, car?

Perfect example of how to buy a used car.
What are you doing in 2WD areas??
Old 6th September 2012, 17:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Point noted Pramod. I was asking as I am getting it completely serviced alongwith fixing all these issues.

Hi Santosh this is my second used car and I've noticed not all the used cars are ship-shape unless you are buying it from Mahindra First choice, Maruti True Value, etc. But that doesn't mean you will get a trouble free car as I've heard and seen cars bought from these type of used car dealers also have problems. After all it is a used car. I didn't spend a fortune buying this car. I got it okayed from my mechanic and for me the most important factor was the engine(oil leak, overall health), body(paint, dent, etc.), comfort(good clean interiors, nice tyres). As I had highlighted the issues of the car let me also highlight its good points that prompted me to buy the car.

1. 2004 model Mitsubishi Lancer Top End Limited Edition Model that comes with pure leather interiors, leather and wood door inserts, wood and leather steering, tilt adjustable steering, driver side height adjsutable seat which not only goes back and forth but also up and down, power antenna, 5 mitsubishi original mag wheels including spare wheel, clear lens headlight, front fog lamps, integrated spoiler.
2. All 5 tyres(Bridgestone) changed just a year back. As per my inspection they have a lot of life left in them.
3. Bought it directly from the owner who is the first owner and I am the second owner so no dealer inbetween.
4. Excellent body with metallic paint without any dent or accident.(except for very minor rusting on fuel lid)
5. Butter smooth engine with a superb gearbox.
6. All 4 suspensions recently overhauled(except for the front right suspension sound) everything is fine.
7. Recently changed the entire Clutch plate, pressure plate assembly with an OEM one.
8. All four brake pads changed to new OEM pads.
9. Full AC servicing done recently(I have been driving for a month now and the AC works like a charm)
10. Replaced fuel pump with a new OEM pump.

I think all the above things are more important for a car to run than the other issues as I pointed out. Most of the issues mentioned are with regards to locking system, electrical and belts which will be taken care of while servicing. I will share the cost breakup once I get it serviced.

Regards,
Navin_V8
Old 27th November 2012, 17:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys. Offlate I have been very busy so couldn't post about the service. I haven't caried out the service as yet.

This is my question to all the Lancer owners from Mumbai. I was contemplating taking my lancer to Aquest Auto(HM Mitsubishi Authorized Service Centre in Mumbai) for the complete servicing and works mentioned in my earlier posts. I have read on this forum itself about not so good experience by some Mitsubishi car owners with Aquest Auto. As the car is almost 8 years old and Run 72000 Kms is it ok if I get all the work and servicing done through some Independent Garage? I stay in Andheri(west) and wanted to know any good professional garages in my vicinity. Has anyone had any experience with Sherin Auto Works which is located on Juhu Versova Link Road in Andheri(West)?

Kindly Advice.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 27th November 2012 at 17:14.
Old 5th December 2012, 13:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any pointers w.r.t "Shirin Auto Works" garage located on Juhu Versova Link road. Has any of you had an experience of getting your car work done from here.

Kindly share your experience with me
Old 5th December 2012, 16:42   #29
BHPian

Hey Navin,
I own a '00 Lancer myself and all the issues you've pointed out are pretty much everything i have been through since i got it. I have my local mechanic in malad who has been working on my Cars since a long time now, and have been pretty happy with the works done by him.

1. Boot lock does not operate correctly(I feel there is some issue with the locking mechanism): A lock guy should be able to fix this.

2. Fuel lid does not operate correctly(There is minor rust on top of the fuel lid which prevents it from shutting completely. Once shut it doesn't open through the remote fuel lid lever.) : A little bit of lub/alignment should do the trick, I have this issue with mu car at the moment, takes a little prying to get it open.

3. Screeching noise while the AC is on and while driving the car in 1st gear on low speeds(I believe the suspect is the fan belt and the pulley): Could be a loose/worn out belt.

4. Only driver side power window works(There is no action on the other 3 power windows when I use the power window buttons. Can it be serviced or do I have to replace it, if yes then what would be the cost.): My windows had become painfully slow, got all the window motors serviced with the carbon changed, cost = 2k

5. Door side rubber beading cut and worn out at some places, hence would like to replace all the four doors window beading.(Any help with the cost): I have a scrap guy who has 3 lancers broken down recenly. U should get a set from him (cheap).

6. Lights (Front right headlight not working only the parking light works which means the headlight is gone kaput, parking lights i.e. indicators both front and rear not working even if i switch on the parking switch, fog lamps not coming on, headlight only upper beam working) : Need an electrician to check the wiring.

7. Right side suspension making a mild loose metal clanking sound while going over potholes and rough roads. (could be a bad lower arm or suspension bushes)

8. Power mirrors not folding and unfolding(I can make do with this if the fix is not very costly). Can be fixed after inspection.

Ripper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 09:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ripper,

Thanks for your inputs. Can you pm me your number so that I can speak to you, I wanted to speak to a Lancer owner like you as I would get a correct pciture about how and where to get the car repaired. I am hesitant to try out Aquest Auto(Authorized Mitsubishi Service Centre) due to stories making rounds about them in this forum and elsewhere.

You can also pm me the mech's no who is in Malad. Preferably I would like to get everything done under the same roof.

Regards,
navin_v8

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks