Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2006, 12:53   #1

Used Mitsubishi Lancer

Hi,
Have got a few queries and I am sure this would have been discussed in this forum at some point of time, but I can't find the relevant thread. So, if somebody can guide me to the right thread, it will be great.
My friend, wanting to buy a car, has zeroed in to a used Mitsubishi Lancer which is 6 years old, has run 44000 Kms and is costing him around 3 lacs. Wanted to know:
1) Is it a good deal?
2) Is Lancer a good buy in terms of maintenance, mileage, etc?
3) What are the things to be checked while buying a used car?

Thanks,
Timus
Old 18th May 2006, 13:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

a 2000 model in good shape should not be more than 2.75 lakhs, a member ELF has got a lancer recently, get in touch with him if you need any assistance.

manson.
Old 18th May 2006, 13:09   #3
BANNED

I recently sold my 126,000 km 2000 model Lancer for 2 Lakhs. Except for the mileage the car was in great shape. Ask your friend to take a mechanic and thoroughly check out what all will need to be replaced - clutch (for sure), brakes, tyre wear, plugs, wiring etc...a lot can happen in six years, so take the time and be thorough. Also bargain like mad. 3 lakhs is optimistic
Old 18th May 2006, 20:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

44k is a low mileage for a 6 year old car. If the car is in good condition then 3.0 lacs is a good price. But always remember to bargain.

I get a FE of 13-14 in teh city with a/c and a steady 15-16 on highways.

My 2003 sfxi has been maintainence free until now. (touchwood)

better take a technician with you to check the car. Its the better way out.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Mitsubishi Lancer

Hey fellow TeamBHPian's,

I need your valuable inputs and help for making a decision to buy a used Mitsubishi Lancer. The details of the car are as given:

Model: Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 Petrol
Year: 2003
KMS run: 61,000
Ownership: Single Owner
Modifications: Bone stock except for leather seats and an alpine music system

I currently own and drive a 1997 Opel Astra 1.6(16NZR engine) petrol. The car was bought by me in 2005 as a third owner. It has now started showing it age. It's run for 75K Kms. I have mentioned it elsewhere that it's AC doesn't work and there is minor rusting as well as water leakage inside the cabin during rains. I drove some used cars like Ford Ikon 1.3 Rocam, OHC 1.5, New Esteem, etc but it didn't satisfy me to replace my Astra. The reason being Astra is very comfortable, sturdy, teutonic build, spacious and torquey. By now it must be clear to all that I like a driver's car. I drove the above mentioned Lancer and although it gave me the same feeling but not as good as the Astra. The problem is Astra is becoming too heavy on the pocket due to unavailability of genuine spares and due to its age. So I want suggestions from you guys as to whether I should consider the above mentioned lancer or not. If yes then what will be the upkeep and maintainence costs and common problems I should look out for in a used lancer.

Thanks,
navin_v8.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timus View Post
Hi,
Have got a few queries and I am sure this would have been discussed in this forum at some point of time, but I can't find the relevant thread. So, if somebody can guide me to the right thread, it will be great.
My friend, wanting to buy a car, has zeroed in to a used Mitsubishi Lancer which is 6 years old, has run 44000 Kms and is costing him around 3 lacs. Wanted to know:
1) Is it a good deal?
2) Is Lancer a good buy in terms of maintenance, mileage, etc?
3) What are the things to be checked while buying a used car?

Thanks,
Timus

About 7 months I bought a 2005 lancer with 60k on the odo for 1.80 lacs. The only work the car had was replacement of the front suspension that was weak. The suspension costed approx 14k. So basically for 1.94k I had a perfect condition Lancer car

IMO 3L is too steep for the car you've metioned, taking into account that my car is Bangalore (Karnataka) regestered where taxes are the highest. I guess in Mumbai you should get better examples for much lower. Do also keep in mind that the Lancer has the lowest resale value when compared to its counterparts i.e. Honda City (Old type) & Baleno.

As far as the answers to your other queries go, here are a few inputs IMO:

1) IMO The lancer has the best gearbox around, short throws and smooth shifts
2) Handling is superb
3) Feels underpowered during hard acceleration when compared to it's counterparts, but compensates with oodles of torque.
4) Milage is better than the esteem I previously owned. Approx 12 kmpl in city and 15 on the highway.
5) Well built and still looks a stunner.
6) Spares are cheaper now after they have been localised.

Hope I've been of some help. You can take a look at my car in my BHP garage.

Cheers!
Aadith

Last edited by aadithsince1980 : 17th July 2012 at 12:23.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
IMO 3L is too steep for the car you've metioned, ...
@Aadith, you are responding to a 6 year old query. Always check the date of the post you are responding to.

Last edited by condor : 17th July 2012 at 12:41.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 12:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Aadith, you are responding to a year old query. Always check the date of the post you are responding to.
Oh! My bad, why did I not check the date Thanks for the advise, will ensure that I check the date before posting.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys i need your inputs as I am going to finalize the deal in a day or two.

Valuable pointers and inputs needed from lancer owners.

Regards,
navinv8
Old 17th July 2012, 16:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Guys i need your inputs as I am going to finalize the deal in a day or two.

Valuable pointers and inputs needed from lancer owners.

Regards,
navinv8
Navin, cars older than say 5 - 7 years have a huge variation in worth / price as a dealer would discount it as that old a car, but it may hold a lot more value in the eyes of a direct buyer. Please post a few pictures as well as the asking price for members to help you with a sharper opinion.
Old 17th July 2012, 16:14   #11
BHPian

Hello Navin,

What is the asking price for the lancer, you need to get the vehicle thouroughly checked as it is around 9yrs old.

Aadith above has put in some feedback on his experience as a Lancer owner, it is definitely a drivers car super smooth to drive.
Have the underbody inspected and other body parts for signs of rust, suspensions, tyres, rims etc.
Is there any immediate repairs required for the vehicle. How is the drive, does it feel sluggish as driving style takes its toll as well.
I would prefer taking someone along (some one who knows cars) while taking a test drive.
All the above put together with the asking price of the car should be helpful in deciding.

Regards,
Trojan
Old 17th July 2012, 16:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Navin, cars older than say 5 - 7 years have a huge variation in worth / price as a dealer would discount it as that old a car, but it may hold a lot more value in the eyes of a direct buyer. Please post a few pictures as well as the asking price for members to help you with a sharper opinion.
The car is in good shape as I have seen it. I dont have the pictures though. I am buying it directly from the owner and he has quoted 1 lac 20 thousand.
Old 17th July 2012, 16:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am buying it directly from the owner and he has quoted 1 lac 20 thousand.
Considering the used car market in Chennai, 1.2L is quite reasonable if the condition of the car is good.

How about the condition of Tyres?

Since you got quote for 1.2L that too from direct seller, you have got a wide opening for negotiation. Start with 1L and close the deal around 1.1L
Old 17th July 2012, 17:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is in good shape as I have seen it. I dont have the pictures though. I am buying it directly from the owner and he has quoted 1 lac 20 thousand.
There are couple of plus points out here.
The deal is with the genuine owner.
Car is in good shape which you have confirmed.
If the car doesn't have effects of corrosion and tyres are having remanat acceptable life left then sign the cheque and take it with your eyes closed. But not before a hard negotiation. I feel a reduction of at least 10K is quite possible even if your negotiating skill is basic.

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th July 2012 at 17:41.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

I post this message with a heavy heart. The deal went sour on the delivery date that was on the Saturday(21st July 2012) that just went by. The God damn middle man ruined my buying experience.

I own an Opel Astra 1.6(new engine) 1997 model. The deal was to exchange the Astra with the Lancer. The Astra initially was valued at 40K. The middle man drove the Astra and said it has some work and brought down the value to 30K to which I agreed, as Astra's have a very poor resale value. Then on the delivery day he says the mp3 player in the lancer was installed just 3 months back so I will deduct another 10K from your Astra. So now my Astra was valued at 20K. I was furious and told him when I drove the lancer you never told me that the mp3 player would cost extra. I told him I am not buying a second hand car for the first time, this is not how you deal. I asked him to return my token and drove off in my good ole Astra. My entire family got disturbed as they were eagerly waiting for me to bring the Lancer. Now I am back to square one.

Guys I went through some threads about the Honda City(Dolphin Model) vs. Mitsubishi Lancer. I saw more Team bhpians suggesting the City. As far as I am concerned my Heart says Mitsubishi Lancer and Mind says Honda City.

Help me make a decision. My requirements are:

1. Space and comfort: Ample leg room, head room, seating comfort, good suspension, etc.
2. Driving pleasure: As it will be self driven. Note: I am not a racer instead am a sedate driver as i drive with my family around.
3. Safety and Build Quality: Thanks to Astra I am used to a sturdy car with strong build quality. Me and my family should be safe if it takes an unfortunate hit. The body has to be strong and built to last.
4. Reliability: The car has to be extremely reliable as I drive my family around.
5. Upkeep and maintainence: The car has to be light on the pocket with regards to regular maintainence and spare parts.
6. Fuel economy: My running would be less than 300 Kms a month. So fuel economy can be in the range of 12-15 KMPL with intermittent use of AC.

Please give me your valuable inputs with regards to the above points with respect to Honda City and Mitsubishi Lancer probably 2004 models.

Also any suggestions with regards to scrapping the Astra, what's the best deal I can get If i decide to scrap the Astra.(Plz note: My Astra is now 15 years old, insurance will expire in a couple of weeks, AC does not work, front suspensions need work.)

Thanks,
navin_v8

Most Viewed