Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2006, 23:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Not sure if ur post was meant as a question or a statement, but whatever you've heard abt the Fiesta is true. While the Aveo might run the Fiesta close in the 1.4, the 1.6 is a different scenario altogether. The Fiesta is quite far ahead there.

The Fiesta 1.6 has more usable torque, power band and gear ratios than the Baleno (Baleno lovers - I have a hard hat on - you can start the bricks throwing ).

How do I know this? Cuz one of my colleagues has the Baleno and a friend has the 1.6 Fiesta. And I've made good use of my position in between them

Re: Aveo vs Fiesta 1.6, remember that underneath the new skin of the Aveo lurks a previous-model Daewoo whereas the Fiesta is a technologically/technically new car from ground up. That's not to say the Aveo is a bad car.
I think fiesta is itself based on the IKon platform. Not sure though but can someone confirm?
Old 9th June 2006, 23:32   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

No dude, its the other way round. The Ikon is based on the previous generation Fiesta from Europe. The current Indian Fiesta is the next generation all new platform
Old 10th June 2006, 02:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
No dude, its the other way round. The Ikon is based on the previous generation Fiesta from Europe. The current Indian Fiesta is the next generation all new platform
yes exactly. I meant that the IKon (which is based on the Fiesta hatch from Europe) is the basis of the new Fiesta.

I was looking at the fiesta page and while revolving the pillars were pretty similar to that of IKOn.
Old 10th June 2006, 04:30   #19
BHPian

Ford Fiesta's ride and handling / power pickup and lightness in driving is quite good but what about the braking issues with Fiesta at high speeds where the tyres actually skid and the maintenance costs? GM has cheaper parts than competition. Ikon was too poor in maintenance aspects. If after 2-3 yrs maintenance costs are going to increase then re-sale value might also go down though at present Fiesta is a very good bet if kept well maintained and properly driven. Let's discuss the maintenance part and long term ownership aspects to find if Fiesta is better or Aveo.

Last edited by Tech : 10th June 2006 at 04:36.
Old 10th June 2006, 13:09   #20
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Been reading up a lot of reviews in various car mags. ...

In the May Overdrive comparo, the performance of the Fiesta was said to be even better than the Baleno. As well as the ride and handling qualities.

I can't believe this. I own a Baleno and test drove an Aveo but haven't touched a Fiesta yet.
You own a Baleno and test drove an Aveo.

How did you find the Aveo, compared to the Baleno in engine performance, gearshift quality, high speed handling and cornering?

My feeling was that the Baleno was peppier, smoother and quicker.
But I'd like to hear your experience.

And what is this FTD factor, that you mention?

Many car magazine writers have never owned a car and are less knowledgeable than most team-BHPians.

Then there is marketing money and beer-parties from the big manufacturers who want reports written to show their cars in a good light, to the gullible public.

So, I buy car magazines only for the pictures
and take their so-called "opinions" with a sack of salt.
Old 10th June 2006, 14:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Here is my test ride of the chevvy aveo 1.6.... Its now where near fiesta in FTD factor..... Fiesta is miles ahead.
Looks: Its a handsome looking car with just the right amount of flash. The version i test drove was the top end 1.6 which had power everything and alloys. The chrome strip breaks the montony at the back. The deep set chevvy grill looks good. The car sits high up the ground to make up for numerous potholes and monumental speedbreakers on indian roads, due to which the alloys look a tad small. The tyres specs are nice.... 185 section, tubeless and is a step in the right direction.

Interiors and Comfort: It has the best interiors in its class... Period. Everything inside is well built, Two tone dashboard, fake wood accents, save for few switches like the one used to control the AC. Visibility all around is good, the driver seat has all kinds of adjustments and finding a comfortable driving position is easy. I must mention the clutch effort, Aveo has one of the lightest clutch in its class if not the lightest, its even lighter than the Swift!
Its reasonably roomy.... didnt sat at the back so cannot comment.

Engine and Performance: Favours end here... the engine is lazy, flat out performance is nothing to write home about. Below 2500 rpm nothing happens, but mid-range is strong since the VGIS kicks after 2500 rpm. The engine is tweaked for fuel average and it shows in the performance. The car feels wanting for fuel at lower revs, the engine feels strained at higher revs. The claimed power output from this engine is 102 bhp, Fiesta's 100 throughbred horses are lot more agile and fast.
Not everything is wrong with the engine though. The driveability is good, you can potter around at 45 kmph in 5th gear and if you accelerate, it will do it without even a murmur, which is a good thing because the gearbox is horrible. Shifting is heavy, and try as you might, you just cannot shift fast. Its the biggest problem with the AVEO, GM needs to do something about the gearbox.
Chasis, Suspension and Braking: Aveo rides well... didnt get a chance to drive it on potholes but going over an odd pothole on the road, the suspension worked well, with muted thump, its silent and works unobstrusively. Steering is vague and even new car had a bit of play! Its not sharp and the feedback is absent, Numb is the right word. The biggest minus for me was the overall feel of the car... its just doesnt feels tight enough, doesnt have the built to last european feel that Fiesta has. The high speed manners are pretty average, i pushed it till 160 kmph on the greater noida expressway at which point it was literally flying! The brakes are another weak link, they just dont inspire enough confidence. They are wooden, press the pedal and almost nothing happens, you press a little more and then the brakes start to respond, but the feel while braking is absolutely pathetic.

Overall: I would prefer the Fiesta over the Aveo anyday. Fiesta has got a better engine, ride, chasis, suspension, gearbox, engine and brakes. Aveo has got great interiors, looks better, has better flash value and engine is also nice if you are the one who potters around the town in higher gears at low speeds.
The thing with Fiesta is the overall driving experience, after a few minutes behind the wheel you feel one with the car whereas with Aveo its just the other way round.
Fiesta Anyday!
Old 10th June 2006, 16:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here's the speedo pic of the Aveo 1.6 when i ripped her apart!
Old 10th June 2006, 17:25   #23
BHPian

Torque, I was just reminded of someone wanting to buy a demo car.... Man, if only he knew how we test drive ;-)
Old 10th June 2006, 18:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

just a not

[SIZE=2]When I drove the Aveo I felt the car too boring to drive . Its like a lazy horse and the gear shift simply simply lacks that confident slotting . When it comes to steering response I really miss the Ikon . Fiesta , Aveo , NHC gets no where when someone calls for a spirited session. But I gotta say Fiesta 1.6 is easily miles ahead of the rest when driving pleasure is considered , not taking into account Petra 1.6 .[/SIZE]
Old 10th June 2006, 22:39   #25
BHPian

I test drove the 1.4 avaeo which one of my freind's has just bought.
The things i liked :
Interiors :Pretty decent with two tone. This is the only car in which i found the dashboard space somewhat comparable to getz. The seats are also comfortable.
Looks : On a personal note i liked the ruggedness when looked from front
To me it reminded some of the ford truck models.

However, the engine refinement and gear shift quality is just not there.
Though not driven Fiesta, however i thought 6.69 is still on the higher side for this car.

Tarun.
Old 10th June 2006, 22:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Request the Mods to change the title of this thread.
Nobody has the right to defame any Car. If they like any car, let them share the good points of that Car rather than defaming other Cars. Some like Aveo, Some like Fiesta, let us respect the likes and opinions of others.
Old 10th June 2006, 22:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Aveo only loses out on the engine-vengine part.....its ahead in all other areas. Comfort, interiors, exteriors, quality of materials used....
Old 11th June 2006, 00:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Aveo only loses out on the engine-vengine part.....its ahead in all other areas. Comfort, interiors, exteriors, quality of materials used....
then it has all the ingredients which are required for a perfect family car with high levels of snob value and comfort.

fiesta just has gud performance, everything else is bland.

Aveo seems to have a better all round package.
Old 11th June 2006, 00:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes exately...The Fiesta might be a good revving engine, but getting it just got that is kind of a waste...I've never checked out the 1.6 anyways, so dunno much about it

Aveo has good midrange torque, and some clever features too. Seems like they've focused on making a more of a 'family car'.

One thing that the Chevy guy told me was that....
The Fiesta n the Aveo have similar AC vents. But the Aveo has a grill behind it as well unlike the Fiesta. So just in case a kid sitting in the front seat puts a coin or a pen inside it, it'll go straight into the blower causing probs. Dunno if its really true or not..

Other features is Power Battery Saver, which cleverly saves the battery. During day time, even if u switch on the park/headlamps it'll automatically get switched off within 20seconds, thanks to some light sensor. It also has heated RVM's and defogger which also get automatically switched off within a few minutes.
Old 11th June 2006, 00:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is

It depends on the persons needs whether a particular car is good or bad.

While kartik found Aveo very much suitable to his needs. fiesta doesnt make sense in his case.

But those who are buying fiesta find it better than the Aveo.

Each car has a particular set of strengths and weaknesses. That defines how good or bad a car is for a particular person.

For me its fiesta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks