Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which diesel automatic sedan?
Skoda Rapid 134 40.12%
Hyundai Verna 45 13.47%
Volkswagen Vento 155 46.41%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 21:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
If you are planning on letting the driver drive the DSG, be very careful about the choice since drivers in general would not be hesitant about using the DSG to full potential unlike owners who worry about reliability down the line every time they shift to S mode.

If FE is the only reason you are thinking of TDI DSG, why not consider City CVT? That is fuel efficient and supposedly more reliable too if you are okay with a fuel efficient petrol.
City VX CVT, a Petrol, is more expensive than a Vento/Rapid Diesel DSG and the SV-CVT is lacking most of the features. Plus being a CVT, it won't be as much fun to drive either. So if I go for the City, it has to be the MT. I want a good fun to drive car which is easy to drive and maintain.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
If you are planning on letting the driver drive the DSG, be very careful about the choice since drivers in general would not be hesitant about using the DSG to full potential unlike owners who worry about reliability down the line every time they shift to S mode.
Using S mode in DSG keeps the rpm is a higher band and up shift/ down shift of gears takes place at a higher rpm than in D mode. ie. the engine is always kept at an rpm where torque demand may be instantly met (say over taking or up gradient etc). More over, I do not think using S mode puts more strain on the engine. D mode is preferable in a slow moving traffic especially in City driving.

Quote:
If FE is the only reason you are thinking of TDI DSG, why not consider City CVT? That is fuel efficient and supposedly more reliable too if you are okay with a fuel efficient petrol.
TDI DSG is fun to drive and one does not feel that it is a diesel engine. Gear shifts are smooth and precise and the system ensures that the engine does not have to struggle any time. FE also is very good. As I said earlier I got 17.4 kmpl on VW Jetta 2L TDi with DSG on S mode on a 387 km night drive with five hefty adults (that too engine was not put our for tea break and wash visits. Can the City CVT beat it? I am ignorant. Please educate me. I will anytime recommend a Diesel turbo charged motor with DSG to a petrol motor like that of City.

More over, unlike a slush box (old auto transmission hydraulic converters), the DSGs work like a conventional multiple gear box. DSG has two sets of gears and two clutches. One one gear is engaged, the next gear on the other gear box is ready to engage. Instead of manual shifting, the shifting is done precisely by a programme and mechatronics. In fact the fuel efficiency in practice is better.
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 12:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
I got 17.4 kmpl on VW Jetta 2L TDi with DSG on S mode on a 387 km night drive with five hefty adults (that too engine was not put our for tea break and wash visits. Can the City CVT beat it?
My Jetta DSG gives me about 15-20 kmpl on highway drives depending on how hard I drive her, and my City (previous gen) matched those figures. I'm sure the CVT will do as well or better.

However, I'm sure the 1.5 TDI DSG will do even better than the City CVT since it has an extra cog and is a diesel. No question about it.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 15:52   #64
BHPian

Is anyone aware of any dealer in Mumbai who has a Vento TDI DSG for a TD? I would really like to compare the Rapid DSG and the Vento TDI DSG before making any decision. but surprisingly the VW showroom has no TD car. They don't even have a 1.5 TDI MT for TD yet.

Even the Rapid DSG isn't available for a TD at present as its met with a accident and its the only car shared between Autobahn showrooms in Mumbai. But I was told it'll be available in few days time. been waiting for almost a month now.

So it would be really great if only I can TD both cars as some people say the Rapid feels better to drive, is more responsive and feels more premium compared to the Vento, which feels sluggish comparatively. While some say the Vento looks and feels more premium.

Last edited by magikrider : 2nd November 2014 at 15:56.
Old 4th November 2014, 16:33   #65
BHPian

Anyone in Bangalore waiting for New Rapid Petrol AT test drive? Heard one's available at Vinayak Škoda on ORR(near Marathahalli). Planning to visit the showroom this weekend.
Old 8th November 2014, 17:27   #66
BHPian

Im really interested in Rapid and Vento DSG (provided I take the maximum warranty available) but in a confused state now. I love both the cars and my decision will mainly depend on the after sales service. Please help me out with the following queries.

1. Skoda - Read some really nasty reviews about TAFE in Bangalore, though not sure how it is in 2014 as I guess they would have got their acts right. Vinayaka motors generally has good reviews but not good reviews about sales (after sales reviews are good). So currently TAFE vs Vinayak, which one is better and have they got their acts right after so many complains and escalations by fellow Bengalurians?

2. Vento - Couple of my friends own VW cars and I generally didn't get positive reviews from VW Hosur road and VW palace cross. Again has VW dealers got their acts right and have they improved their service?

Please help me deciding.

Cheers
Kiran

Last edited by kiran_cr : 8th November 2014 at 17:42.
Old 8th November 2014, 18:38   #67
BHPian

Hi Kiran, are you looking for diesel or Petrol? In case of Petrol, you can try Vento from Volkswagen Whitefield. Rapid is not in league with Vento (DSG+TSI).
Best way to judge a service centre(after reading reviews here) is to visit one and see it for yourself. You will also get a chance to interact with people like you. Reminds me of how to choose a college too.
Old 8th November 2014, 19:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
Hi Kiran, are you looking for diesel or Petrol? In case of Petrol, you can try Vento from Volkswagen Whitefield. Rapid is not in league with Vento (DSG+TSI).
Best way to judge a service centre(after reading reviews here) is to visit one and see it for yourself. You will also get a chance to interact with people like you. Reminds me of how to choose a college too.

Im looking for Diesel as there will be lot of highway runs. Seldom we get to know exact reviews by visiting a dealer (absolutely the people working there wont tell anything bad about it). All my opinions and questions posted in my original post is by interacting with people who owns(ed) Skoda and VW cars. Hence im looking for more reviews so that i can base my decision based on those.
Old 8th November 2014, 19:46   #69
BHPian

In case of diesel, yeah you have a tight fight at hands(at least from car front). For service, I did not mean to interact with staff, I meant interacting with customers. However, I too would love to hear the feedback from owners here on their feedback about service centers.
HarshVShrotriya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 20:11   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Im really interested in Rapid and Vento DSG (provided I take the maximum warranty available) but in a confused state now. I love both the cars and my decision will mainly depend on the after sales service. Please help me out with the following queries.

2. Vento - Couple of my friends own VW cars and I generally didn't get positive reviews from VW Hosur road and VW palace cross. Again has VW dealers got their acts right and have they improved their service?

Please help me deciding.

Cheers
Kiran
In my opinion sales experience depends a lot on the SA you land up with. My buying experience with palace cross was very good. I had a poor experience with vw Whitefield and also most of the other manufacturer dealers whose cars I had shortlisted.

My colleague had a very poor buying experience with VW hosur road and I have heard several other stories as well. I suggest you stick to Whitefield or palace cross.

On service , have only experienced the 6 month check up which was done in vw Whitefield. Nothing to complain about, but I found the service center crowded and able to handle a very limited number of cars. Have heard vw palace cross service centers are larger and better.

Again hosur road should be the least preferred.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th November 2014 at 20:13.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 08:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post

1. Skoda - Read some really nasty reviews about TAFE in Bangalore, though not sure how it is in 2014 as I guess they would have got their acts right. Vinayaka motors generally has good reviews but not good reviews about sales (after sales reviews are good). So currently TAFE vs Vinayak, which one is better and have they got their acts right after so many complains and escalations by fellow Bengalurians?

Hi kiran,
Let me try to put my views on your queries,

1. I own a Rapid (49,000 on ODO) and tried both TAFE and Vinayak Cars dealerships. I have purchased from Vinyak and went to TAFE for the first service. As usual they have done average work. After few days my car started vibraing alot in idle. TAFE guys said "fuel adulteration". Immeadetly i dropped my car and went home. After that I started thinking and concluded there is very little or no chance for fuel adultration, because i was refuelling from the same pump for last 6 months or so. I called TAFE and asked them not to start working on my car (after 5 hours). I took the car to Vinayak cars, after 2 days of diagnosis they concluded that the problem is with engine mount. They took one more week (for the part to arrive) and finally replced the conventional rubber mount with a hydraulic mount. Bottom line: Many skoda engineers don't know to identify the route cause

Vinayak cars service center is very dirty and congested one. You can see there so many cars lying around for spares(needless to say they are least protected). They will have targets for the spare parts sale, so they will try to force sell.

2. I was in your shows three years back, considered both Vento/Rapid before my buy. I tried VW palace cross and elite motors (now VW Hosur road). VW hosur road are the real crooks, they sold display Jetta as brand new car to my friend, so avoid them. VW Palace cross and Whitefield are seems ok, as i heard from my friends.

I personally like the Rapid looks , but i would advise you to go with Vento with maximum possible warranty. Both Skoda and VW are having very good cars with very inefficient ASS. All the very best for your hunt and keep posted on your progress.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 17:11   #72
BHPian

This month's Autocar India carries an article comparing the Diesel DSG twins and guess what? They have voted the Vento as the winner. (Even our polls seems to suggest the same) The reason being that, though the Vento is slightly pricier, it seems to feel more upmarket. Perception differs from person to person. Just thought of sharing what I read.

Last edited by neethi_raj : 10th November 2014 at 17:13.
neethi_raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 02:19   #73
BHPian

I have just bought a Skoda Rapid 1.5 DSG elegance from Vinayak Cars. The car will be delivered on Wednesday morning. Waiting eagerly to get my hands on it. Will ofcourse post a detailed review by this weekend. But in short, Vinayak was the better one in blr for sales. Car will be delivered within 2 weeks of booking and loan formalities. The choice of colors was limited and that's my only grouse but everything else is going swimmingly at the moment.
Old 11th November 2014, 20:35   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charansuki View Post
I have just bought a Skoda Rapid 1.5 DSG elegance from Vinayak Cars. The car will be delivered on Wednesday morning. Waiting eagerly to get my hands on it. Will ofcourse post a detailed review by this weekend. But in short, Vinayak was the better one in blr for sales. Car will be delivered within 2 weeks of booking and loan formalities. The choice of colors was limited and that's my only grouse but everything else is going swimmingly at the moment.
Congrats Charansuki. Its indeed a good news. Eagerly awaiting for your detailed review. Good Luck.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:12   #75
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Autocar compares the Vento & the Rapid DSG diesels.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-391695.aspx/0

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks