Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2006, 12:54   #31
BHPian

I have a power steering leakage in my vtec and the honda guys tell me i have to replace the entire power steering gearbox...
and they have quoted about 17k for this...
any other cheaper fix available? urgent ...
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunith
I have a power steering leakage in my vtec and the honda guys tell me i have to replace the entire power steering gearbox...
and they have quoted about 17k for this...
any other cheaper fix available? urgent ...
The cheaper fix is to replace the leaking seal but that is only a temporary remedy or as we call it JUGAAD. Sooner or later it will malfunction again and start leaking oil. The only permanent fix is to replace the whole assembly.
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:22   #33
BHPian

@sunjit You can try some other garage! You can PM me for a good mechanic I know of.
Old 22nd August 2006, 22:27   #34
BHPian

Always make sure u get a loan from a nationalised bank ... as u already mentioned SBI are doing good ... this i am telling you from my experience... also make sure you check your car well before buying one because generally OHC city are mostly driven rashly or enjoyed most while driving... people bang the cars to the most ... drive it to the redline often...

but there are exceptions ... some well maintained .... so choose well and you will be rewarded with good driving pleasure.
the Honda promised that they will have spares till 2013 ...
In my town we still get spares for peugeot 309 at a resonable price.... so don't worry about spares
Old 29th August 2006, 11:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401
@sunjit You can try some other garage! You can PM me for a good mechanic I know of.
i ll do that... i just moved to bangalore... will be getting my car this weekend.
Old 30th August 2006, 09:43   #36
BHPian

Condor,... this is to answer ur PM... to me...
some cheats that i came across during my search

- the major heartbreaking cheat i saw was a 1.5 EXi meddled to look like a VTEC!! and only if one is so much aware of a VTEC engine and a 1.5 EXi engine will he come to know this, cause the cap was also changed to a VTEC!!!

'wud have been happier to buy it as a 1.5 instead

- there were too many dealers who were not aware of what they were selling too. so they would go by the name plate on the back to sell the item. again awareness counts here

- i was almost on the verge of closing a deal for a VTEC,... day one,... i see the wheels are Good Year,... day 2, i go there in the morning with the cash,... i see the wheels are changed,... I just walked out, i did not want to verbally abuse such a cheat.

- "leather seats",... this is another word-of-mouth cheat. there are some upholsteries that have a bit of bikini sized leather sewn here n there.

you call the dealer, travel half the way across the city and reach there to see such a sick upholstery and he uses that as the selling point!!!

- odometer tampering,... this is too tricky to detect unless u are Sherlock Holmes. the best way is to shine a torch on the odo panel in an angle that can show off any dust particles. this is still not foolproof.

but normally the OEM piece if not touched, which is usually not,... MUST be dust free for perfect functioning,.. rather it is sealed.

- the middleman whom i got the VTEC i drive today, when I took the test drive told me that the Alpine detachable head unit is missing, and he will get one for me for a extra 1000 bucks!!!

i agreed as everything else in the car was in perfect condition, being maintained by Star TV,... then the day of settlement, he hands me over a detachable head unit and says,... here it is.

when i fit it on the panel, to my surprise,... i can match a deep scratch that ran from the side mount upholstery onto the glass laminate on the head unit!!!! that says the piece was always there, and since he couldnt make much money in the deal, he tried his best conman job!!!

to many to write,.... but everyone getting a 2nd hand car must be very careful. really.

i had seen a hot thread dedicated for 2nd hand car buying, that is very useful too.

Anto
Old 31st August 2006, 15:11   #37
BHPian

well i was actually looking for a lancer but today, this guy has given me a v-tec offer which sounds good after reading all the posts above

01 v-tec, heather mist, 30k odo, belonged to a tv actress (chauffer driven i believe) , insurance expired last month, good condition. Asking Price : 3.6l (slightly negotiable)

Will be checking the car today evening. Will keep all the above points in mind
Old 24th September 2007, 15:46   #38
BHPian

3.5L for OHC Vtec. Justified?

I met this guy in Kolkata who is planning to sell his OHC Vtec. He is expecting something around 3.5 L. The details is given below.
Year: 2002
Month: January
1st owner
35,000 kms (little surprised to see this)
Tax paid till 2009
The car is in a more or less good condition. No rusting, major accidents etc. Minor services needed here and there like wheel alignment etc.
I tried Carwale.com to get a good idea. But it seems the price that they show is flared up a little and may not reflect the reality.
Please suggest if its worth to go for this Vtec at that price. Please do tell me how much will this car cost outside Kolkata in other states.
Old 24th September 2007, 16:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Hi all,
tomm i am going to check an ohc vtec 2001 model. done 44k kms. everything stock. belongs to a film director (wow).
mostly driven by driver. quote is 4L. agent will arrange finance.
i will check it out tomm (will remember to take the VTEC checklist) take some fotos for the gurus to help me out if i find anything suspicious.
Thanks,
Mahesh.
Update?? Did you purchase the car?
Old 24th September 2014, 17:53   #40

Re: OHC Vtec price. please help!

hello everybody, this is my first post on tbhp

i'm 18 & i will be going to check out a 2001 honda city 1.5 tomorrow

the car looks to be in excellent condition and has supposedly been service every 5k km of it's 80k km life so far. i have been told that all service documents are available as well.
the add was on OLX & was advertised for 2,45,000
when i called the owner, he told me he was expecting around 2,25,000
i will taking an experienced driver and a mechanic along with me tomorrow.

i wanted to check in here about the price and also in the OHC would be a smart buy for me(in terms of maintenance costs), i plan on using for about 50k kms over the next 4 years.

Thank You
Old 24th September 2014, 18:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: OHC Vtec price. please help!

We need more history of the car. How many owners? how many kilometers run now? What colour? If it is decent enought 2 laks is good price. provided tyres, exhaust, suspension are in good nick.
Old 28th September 2014, 10:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
We need more history of the car. How many owners? how many kilometers run now? What colour? If it is decent enought 2 laks is good price. provided tyres, exhaust, suspension are in good nick.
2 owners (3 on record, company+private+private) 80k km done, gold color with white art leather seat covers. The car is in excellent condition, even the boot doesn't have a speck of dust. Has been serviced every 5k km in a showroom. owned by a Honda engineer, this is his second OHC and he has kept it absolutely stock, down to the cassette player. Paint doesn't have a scratch on it. Engine bay is nice and clean.

Had a trusted mechanic take a look at it and also take a test drive, he was quite surprised and said the whole car was in excellent nick, tyres included.

In conclusion, this may very well be the best maintained city in the city. (Pun intended XD)
And since I plan to keep using it for the next 4-5 yrs, through my college I can justify the extra in the 2,25,000 we agreed on yesterday.
Also, my mom was kind of iffy about buying a used car, and this should make her happier.
Old 5th October 2014, 00:01   #43
BHPian

Hmm... Interesting. No matter how well its maintained, you are looking at a 13 year old car. Along with wear n tear you need to also consider sheer ageing of the vehicle and the cost associated with it. I would say anything under 2L is a good deal but be prepared to spend some moolah if you intend to keep it for another 50k kms. Good luck !

Last edited by suhas_raj : 5th October 2014 at 00:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks