Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2007, 10:36   #16
Team-BHP Support

I have driven the Fiesta 1.6, and can vouch for it being a great car. Took it up to three digit speeds, and slammed the brakes.. was confidence-inspiring (non ABS version). Its handling, and being driver-oriented are points which have already been mentioned by the others.
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:56   #17
BHPian

can vouch for the handling and performance of the fiesta1.6 personally own one
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:58   #18
BHPian

go for the fiesta 1.6 for performance and handling!!honda city vtec is not as much fun to drive!!if you love driving,the fiesta is the one for you!!

verna comes into the picture only if you are considering the diesel!!
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:59   #19
BHPian

Thanks again guys for your enthusiastic replies. Here is another query for you to ponder over. Based on a couple of suggestions, the Verna diesel has also now come into the picture. I know that the cut-off line for choosing b/w a petrol and diesel is approx 50 kms a day usage.

Now, the usage of this car is gonna be around 45-55 kms on an average daily.So it is just on the margin, and we can sway either ways without much change in overall costs (thats what i think !!!).

This brings the fiesta 1.6 petrol in competition with verna diesel.The criteria would still be performance, ride/handling and comfort with other parameters following behind these. Both cars are approx 7.8 lakhs on the road.Suggestions please?

Thanks
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

Performance wise, the Verna diesel is faster than the 1.6 Fiesta and almost as fast as the VTEC in 0-100 dash.
In gear performance like 40-100 in 5th gear etc., blows both of them away, you can't mess with diesel torque.
As for handling it leaves something to be desired, though I liked the brakes during test drive.
Here is a test drive : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...ure-drive.html

Rest its upto you to drive and decide. Take a long test drive and see what you like.
But one factor here, the verna crdi just has fog lamps and Power windows as equipment, nothing else like climate control etc.,
Old 2nd March 2007, 14:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

As @tsk,suggested, go drive all 3 cars.

Would you be driving primarily in the city ? If so, while you are at the Ford dealership, drive the Fiesta TDCi ZXi/SXi. I think the ZXi has more equipment than the Verna and costs around the same. Magazine reports say that although the Fiesta diesel is not as powerful as the Verna VGT, it is more refined, has better driveability and better handling.

I have driven the VGT, but not the Fiesta diesel. Try it out before you decide.
Old 9th March 2007, 18:42   #22
BHPian

checked out the verna diesel, was expecting quite a lot after the nice reviews posted, but though the acceleration is good, after 3000-3500 rpm, it just runs out of steam.....didn't like that.

i think the optra 1.6 is also a possible contender, its available for 7.6 lakhs on the road, and has the d class look and feel as well as a nice 1.6 engine. if i can get a d class segment car for so less, why do i need to stick to the c class segment?

comments guys?
Old 9th March 2007, 19:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

an optra facelift is around the corner. so what for that then take your decision.
Old 10th March 2007, 21:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

hey mrhap at 7.6L the Optra is a steal go ahead you surely wont regret it.
Old 10th March 2007, 21:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhap View Post
I believe fuel efficiency of all these three would be in the same range, +/- 1 kmpl(correct me if i am wrong).
I do not own a Verna, but one of our relatives claims to be getting 15+ kmpl consistently with his Petrol Verna. More on the highway, he claims - according to him the mileage is damn good for a biggish car.

You may want to check this claim with any other Verna Petrol owner.

However, the car is more slanted towards comfort than performance - the suspension setup proves this as it allegedly has a 'carpet ride'. You wouldnt want to take fast curves on that...

I think Hyundai left the 'performance' part for the Diesel. It can be a traffic light screamer, and none of the other mentioned cars will keep up with it on the highway - its got waves of torque. Drive a torque-laden diesel on a highway and you wont look at small-capacity petrol engines anymore.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th March 2007 at 21:46.
Old 11th March 2007, 19:40   #26
BHPian

well it is true, my friend is getting kpl of 14 in city in his petrol verna........
Old 12th March 2007, 10:55   #27
Team-BHP Support

Too many options now... u have listed the C segmenters, and now also brought in the Optra into the picture. Since the City has recieved the least responses so far, i guess we can rule it out for now, rite?

I guess responses now can focus more on the Verna Diesel, Fiesta 1.6 and the Optra. Optra takes my vote here, if u have the money to go for it.
Old 13th March 2007, 14:55   #28
BHPian

On Sunday 11th March' 07, I participated in a Mileage Rally organized by Hyundai for Verna & Getz owners in Cochin.

The car was topped with diesel, Km reading and fuel reading was noted and tank was sealed off at the Petrol pump by Hyundai officials.

It was a 120 Km drive from cochin to neaarby trichur & back. Along were 26 Petrol/Diesel Verna's and 14 Getz.

At the finish point, the seal was removed & tank topped up again and differential readings were noted.

To my surprise my car hit an amazing Mileage of 29.80 kmpl.

I missed the prize by a gr8 margin, as the winner's Verna hit a surprising 35.01kmpl mileage. This was the Diesel -CRDI figures.

On the petrol variants the winner got a mileage of 25.20 Kmpl and Getz winner hit 22.4kmpl.

Hyundai Verna - Truly a beast on road that hates drinking!! (Fuel).

Last edited by icemanz : 13th March 2007 at 15:06. Reason: Font details got included
Old 13th March 2007, 15:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
To my surprise my car hit an amazing Mileage of 29.80 kmpl.
Hi Icemanz, thats an amazing mileage
Do you get the same mileage during your regular drives? If so, what the secret? and if not, why the difference?
Old 13th March 2007, 21:25   #30
BHPian

Well thats amazing for a car with that much power and size. iam telling yourl this car feels far more expensive than wat it is actually...iam getting 17kpl in city with 50% A/C and worst i got till date is 14kpl...Mrhap i think u have 2 choices now verna or optra....but with verna diesel u get power, amazing FE, good A.A.S from Hyundai carpet ride and many more...even optra is an amazing car no dout, the new model is around the corner if u like optra u should wait...well mrhap i was too in your poisition some time back,verna was just lauched back then, i drove cars like aveo,fiesta diesel optra and verna crdi.......in the ending i went for verna crdi, i just loved the car when i drove it...i did upgrade my tyres so high speed handling is much better.......u have got many views from this forum....now its u who can choose the best for your self......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks