Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2007, 14:19   #1
BHPian

price/performance - fiesta 1.6 petrol vs. verna 1.6 vs city vtec

I have been looking at a few threads that are a little disjointed and mention the features of these 3 petrol cars in various places....but there is not one concise thread that brings out the performance and relative advantages of these cars vis a vis their relative prices.

The mid-range verna model(having comparable features) is available at 6.5 lakhs ex-showroom delhi, fiesta 1.6 is around 7.3 while honda city vtec is approx 8 lakhs , even though its displacement, bhp and torque is the least of the three.I am not sure if it has ABS also which the others have.

Considering the price points of these three, how would the members rank them if the three important criteria are performance, ride/handling and comfort? I believe fuel efficiency of all these three would be in the same range, +/- 1 kmpl(correct me if i am wrong). Finally, are there any comparable alternatives in the same range?

Thanks
Old 1st March 2007, 16:34   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

mrhap

The most driver-oriented car of these would be the Fiesta 1.6. Its also got the most performance oriented handling of the lot. While the NHC Vtec is faster in a 0 - 100, its the Ford that will be more fun to drive.

Second would be the Honda City Vtec which would also score most on the comfort, practicality, resale and FE.

The Verna petrol is not inspiring at all. If anything, its the diesel that will appeal more.
Old 1st March 2007, 16:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

If your driving will be in delhi rush hour traffic, Verna is the most VFM as its the cheapest. If you plan to do spirited driving in corners etc., Fiesta is the best.
As far as After Sales Support is concerned, Verna is the best of the lot.
So if handling is important, go for the Fiesta, If comfort and VFM is needed, go for Verna Petrol, if brand name and refinement is important, go for the City VTEC.
City may give slightly more mileage, but its academic.
Old 1st March 2007, 16:40   #4
nbr
BHPian

my choce is The FIESTA 1.6. great driver's car.
VERNA is more show than go. NHC is for the family man.
Old 1st March 2007, 17:23   #5
BHPian

thanks guys for your responses. yes, i have read these comments about these cars before also, what i also was looking for in this new post was the respective features of the cars mapped to their prices, and then a deeper analysis being given by the members.

as i had mentioned, verna is cheaper by 80k than the fiesta, while it is cheaper by almost 1.5 lakhs to the city vtec. does the fiesta have so much better performance as to negate the 80 k of difference? does the city vtec have enough acceleration and brand value to negate the 1.5 lakh difference? this is how the analysis can help the members make an informed choice.

thanks again
Old 1st March 2007, 17:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mrhap, I think you have your answer in GTO's thread.....the Verna Petrol doesn't really figure in it if performance is your key criteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhap View Post
but there is not one concise thread that brings out the performance and relative advantages of these cars vis a vis their relative prices.
That's because there is really no comparison (performance-wise) between the Verna petrol & the other two....and price-wise, as you've pointed out yourself, the VTEC outprices the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhap View Post
I am not sure if it has ABS also which the others have.
The VTEC does not have ABS
Old 1st March 2007, 17:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Given your criteria the Verna should be left out altogether. It's handling is not at all confidence inspiring. I drove the VGT and the body roll certainly doesn't do justice to the engine.

Close call between the Fiesta and the VTec. Both have their strong points. Depends on what matters to you more.

If you can shell out a bit more, check out the base model Corolla.
Old 1st March 2007, 17:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The VTEC does not have ABS
I heard somewhere that HONDA launched a ABS version of NHC
Old 1st March 2007, 17:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I heard somewhere that HONDA launched a ABS version of NHC
Nah, not yet..........
Old 1st March 2007, 17:43   #10
BHPian

mrhap,

Close call between the VTEC and Fiesta 1.6.The former may give you a little edge in terms of FE,latter refinement.Go take a drive yourself and decide.
Old 1st March 2007, 18:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

why not the diesel verna.. it dosent have the honda brand value but it is a scorcher.. and with a petes box it churns out 130bhp and 300nm of torque. what more do you want.
Old 1st March 2007, 19:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

you might also want to look at resale value and maintenance costs. Honda's typically have better resale value and maintenance cost compared to Ford.
Old 1st March 2007, 20:39   #13
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
you might also want to look at resale value and maintenance costs. Honda's typically have better resale value and maintenance cost compared to Ford.
NO. he is more keen towards Performance and ride rather than resale value.
FIESTA 1.6 is a better bet especially the base 1.6 because, he can utilize the diference amt by going for performance boosters .
Old 1st March 2007, 22:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

Some questions about Verna Fiesta and Honda City VTEC performance
1. Do all people comparing Fiesta 1.6 to Verna 1.6 Petrol have actually driven both
2. Fiesta is better handling than Verna and is a better performer too, but how much of a difference in real world driving does 2 seconds to 100kmph make? Is it worth spending 50K+ for that?
3. "Verna Petrol is a bad performer". Have the people saying this statement actually driven it and noticed bad performance?

My advice to OP.
When choosing criteria which are subjective(apparent performance, handling etc.,) its better to drive and see
1. Drive all three. Decide if the in gear acceleration times are noticeable by you. If you feel that in acceleration etc., the difference is not noticeable, there is no point to base your judgement on that. Case in point, I drove both the Tata DICOR and Tata TDI indigo. Though auto mags say anywhere about 1.5-2s difference in 0-100 dash, I did not feel that the performance difference warrants a 50,000 increase in price. Similarly though Verna crdi is quicker to 100kmph than a swift vdi, swift vdi feels quicker and more drivable due to better in gear acceleration figures.
2. Handling is something which you cannot really judge quicky, but there are a few things which you can do for each of the 3 while taking testdrive
a. Go around a roundabout at slightly high speed. The bad handler will feel as if the door handles are touching the road
b. Go higher speed than normal on bad roads which have smooth humps, not jarring ones, like wavy , The worst handler will sway and feel bouncy and unconnected. Brake hard on that surface and this will tell you a lot about handling
c. Try braking a little hard and see how much the car has tendency to lock up. Over servoed brakes tend to lock up quickly.
3. The only factors which can be accurately judged through discussion without actually driving the car(infact discussion is the only way) is after sales service. Read through the threads and decide. Bad After sales service usually shines like the funeral pyre for the company.
4. For cost of spares, borrow auto mags from friends, they occasionally have price lists and comparisons. While taking a test drive ask the service chap for prices. Mostly they give to you
These are the parts which are important if you are running around 25,000/year
Wheel Bearing, Alternator belt, Fan belt(in case it exists), AC idler, Side view mirror, Bumpers, Headlights and indicator lights, Shock absorbers, Tie Rods, oil filter and oil change cost, fuel filters, air filter, radiator thermostat.
Can't remember everything but these are commonly replaced parts.

As a summary, between cars so close, its not possible to know wether the 2s difference in performance etc., will matter to you. It really matters to some people, and it does not matter to others. So test drive yourself and see what you like, and then see your budget
cheers and happy car hunting
Old 1st March 2007, 22:51   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I've said it before and will say it many more times: that Ford 1.6L Rocam engine is an absolute hoot to drive. I so miss our Ford Ikon 1.6. The Fiesta is the best driver's car amonst the 3 as well.

Next will be the City Vtec - which is like a high-performance diesel. Brisk is the best word to describe it. Not as engrossing to drive as the Ford

Last and definitely the least is the Verna 1.6L which really feels like a much smaller engine than it actually is.

While the Fiesta 1.6 is not the cheapest amongst the 3 cars, its still the best combination of characteristics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks