Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 18:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City vs Tata Nexon

Off the two of your choices, it's easily the City which you should buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantEnthu View Post
Fuel type - Petrol
City easily. Honda City in that VTEC mill is like Sachin Tendulkar on one of his whirwind innings!
Quote:
Transmission - Manual
I feel the clutch and Gearbox combo of Honda one of the best.
Quote:
Bigger boot. Expected to do more, longer road trips.
City Boot space is around 500 litres, compared to 352 on the Nexon. Again no contest.

Quote:
Safer, Worry-free ownership.
Honda vs TATA? Again simply no contests, City all the way.

Quote:
Wishful features - TPMS and Auto dimming IRVM.
I am not sure, but I think both don't get either of these.

Quote:
Your advice / opinion ?
Some other choices-
1) Maruti Ciaz (Fill it shut it and forget it, with loads of space, but doesn't feel premium enough)
2) Ford Ecosport S variant (1.5L NA engine is a beauty, Maintenance is very cheap. Gets the TPMS and Auto Dimming IRVM. Boot isn't large enough)

I would rate the City the highest, followed by Ecosport and Ciaz, for your set of requirements. Only con with the City I feel is, you will be going for a car(Variant), that is likely to be discontinued soon and lacks the premium feel of modern cars.

Last edited by 07CR : 1st June 2021 at 18:28.
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 20:14   #17
BHPian

Please get the Honda City and don't look back. The SOHC petrol 1.5 IVTEC mill of the 4th gen and even the new 1.5 DOHC motor on the 5th gen are gems. Both combined with a MT are a hoot to drive. The City has ample leg space and rear AC vents along with a 500 litre boot space. It's larger in terms of dimensions than most other mass market cars on the road including most crossovers and SUVs. Also you can be assured of a hassle free ownership for 10 years along with a good degree of snob value as well being a Honda as well as a Sedan. The Nexon is basically a hatchback on stilts and besides the sturdy build quality , I doubt it packs much of a punch unless you're into that body style ( Hardcore Sedan lover here). Also since you mentioned quality and a hassle free ownership , look no further . The chances of ending up with a lemon from the Tata stable are exponentially higher. In terms of driving dynamics and high speed stability as well, the City ticks all the right boxes with a ballistic rev happy, high revving madness in top end for all those spirited drives. I have driven both cars in their respective manual and automatic iterations and found the city's MT to be smooth and slick shifting while the Nexons gearbox felt a tad notchy.

Regards....
raunaqv471 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 20:23   #18
BHPian

Get the Honda city for hassle free ownership and servicing. Unless u want a compact vehicle , go for city eyes closed.

Since you have a kid and senior parents, they will love the city more.

Last edited by motorlover : 1st June 2021 at 20:24. Reason: Spelling
motorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 20:24   #19
AZT
BHPian

City is the overwhelming winner on this thread. Off topic but since you are considering the Nexon, any reason the Sonet / Venue / EcoSport are left out.

Just FYI the facelift Nexon does not mention GNCAP rating anywhere on the official website so this one is not yet rated.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 20:25   #20
BHPian

As per your requirement, Go for New Scross eye closed.

-Spacious
-Bigger boot for long distance family trips.
-Responsive 1.5L petrol
-No much electronics
-Solid car from MSIL
-Fuss free ownership
-SUV stance for better riding position.

4th-gen Honda City vs Tata Nexon-screenshot-20210601-8.25.12-pm.png
ash22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 20:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
City is the overwhelming winner on this thread. Off topic but since you are considering the Nexon, any reason the Sonet / Venue / EcoSport are left out.

Just FYI the facelift Nexon does not mention GNCAP rating anywhere on the official website so this one is not yet rated.
Never test drove any of the car yet. All this homework is purely from Internet opinions.

Apart from Nexon, no other compact SUVs apparently have wide backseat for 3 people.

Had not noticed facelift Nexon's GNCAP not published in website ! That is news to me !
Thanks.
Old 1st June 2021, 23:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

For the given specs and requirements, 4th Gen Honda City is the clear winner out of the two.

4th Gen Honda City: It is a handsome car and I am sure it will not look outdated even a decade later when EVs are planned to be ruling the market. This is perhaps the only car that is maintaining its desireability despite a next gen model launch (5th Gen honda city) almost an year ago.

5th Gen Honda City: By the way, 5th Gen Honda City has two important improvements that matter to a person like me. Its AC controls are not of touch type (but are rather physical buttons) that distract you by making you take eyes off the road for every single adjustment. Its digipad head unit is also said to be more reliable than the 4th Gen Honda City.

Nexon: The best advantage of Nexon over Honda City is the ground clearance and the safety rating (more solid body and safety tech such as traction control, ESP etc). The turbo petrol offers much better torque figures than NA engines. Top varianta look great on the inside but its mid variants (XM and the likes) have a bit bland interiors without that large screen head unit.

Nexa:
Lastly, I would strongly suggest you to visit a Nexa showroom and check out the S-Cross and XL6 before finalising just between Honda City 4th Gen and Nexon.

Last year, I was in need of a car and had booked a Kia Sonet. I didn’t connect with it at all and later shortlisted 4th Gen Honda City, Ciaz and S-Cross. I selected the S-Cross after spending good amount of time with it in the showroom. It takes care of the only con in Honda City (ground clearance).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-609.html (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)
PaddleShifter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:08   #23
BHPian

I was in a similar fix 6 months back.

Having sold my Swift 1.3 Petrol, I was trying to decide on the vehicle , albeit pre-owned & Diesel.

I love SUVs and I have always been a fan . Since my budget was constrained, I was naturally drawn to Tata Nexon. Further, I helped my friend to deicide on Nexon instead of Tiago a couple of years back.

No doubt, Nexon is a great vehicle , though I felt 1.2 L Revotron is underpowered. But it is a great Milemuncher . But its boot is a tad small and the Tata Servicing is a hit or miss, though they are not actually deal breakers.

When I was looking for Nexons/Ecosports, I was shown a Honda City 4th gen Facelifted and believe me, I was completely bowled by it.

It is one notch above Nexon in almost all of the parameters - more spacious, huge boot, excellent FE, Reliable Service, Excellent Mile muncher - barring the GC.

So, Honda City became a natural choice to me. In about 180 days of ownership, I clocked about 17000 km and every mile was memorable. I believe I-Vtec offers more thrill and smiles to your drive than my I-Dtec.

So unless you travel on bad roads which need a higher GC vehicle , its the legendary City .

Last edited by poised2drive : 2nd June 2021 at 10:12.
poised2drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Agree with what others have mentioned, do take a TD if you like the cars.
Going by your requirements I would suggest the following :

- Honda City : generation is your call as preferred

- S-Cross : seems like a worthy upgrade from the Getz, I have a feeling you'll like it, do take a TD.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 11:58   #25
BHPian

Looking at the options you picked, understanding your requirement, your usage and identifying that you prefer to keep your cars at least for 10 years if not more, I would suggest stick to Honda City. It would be a good long term and reliable companion, offering more comfortable ownership experience. It's a tried and tested product, that guarantees good reliable and comparatively pocket friendly ownership experience with sufficient FNG options in case you wish to consider same for economical maintenance.

In your case, understanding that you would want to keep this vehicle long term even after warranty period, I would say stay away from Tata (whatever you may hear from vloggers and fans on things being improved). Yes, I acknowledge their product line is improving, but that's in comparison to what scrap they used to offer earlier and still not at levels of Korean, Japanese, or German competition. Their ASS is still hit and a miss (mostly miss).

Please understand, all new products are excellent and initial years of ownership is more or less trouble free. What matters is how does the product age and how easy or difficult it is going to be for you to maintain that aging companion.
cloudno19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:49   #26

Quote:
Here goes my first query / post !

|
|

Your advice / opinion ?
I am not sure how relevant but yesterday saw accident of a city where all 4 could not survive. It went inside the rear of a truck parked on roadside. I am a sedan guy given the ride comfort and control however this incident leaves me thinking. If they would have been in a suv results would have been different. In a country like ours where such situations are very common, with trucks without tail light and absent rear barrier to prevent such accident is very common. Somehow SUV suddenly seems more logical even a compact one like Nexon. Its has 5 star ratin. All the reliability etc is fine but life needs to be more valuable. Delete the comments if not relevant.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd June 2021 at 16:09. Reason: Shortening the quoted portion for better readability
Steer-safe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:59   #27
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from Nexon, no other compact SUVs apparently have wide backseat for 3 people.
This is something you should personally validate once things open up. 3 people in the back seat is always going to be tight in a CSUV. Also depends on the size of the 3 people though.

If you're going for the Nexon, definitely check out all other CSUV's as well for reference.
Old 2nd June 2021, 18:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am owning Honda City(2009) Petrol AT and Tata Nexon(2019) Diesel AT.

- Use Honda City in mostly city drive and where i have to go with bumper to bumper traffic, as City TC AT is far better than Nexon AMT.
- Nexon i use for long drives, as Petrol vs Diesel and mileage makes big difference in total cost.
- Also use Nexon when i go out in bad or unknown roads.
- Cabin and leg room of Honda city is huge compared to any compact SUV including likes of Creta/Seltos.
- though people talk of service centers, i haven't seen big difference in customer services.
- reliability : Nothing failed in Honda City from past 12 years except wear and tear. Also havent faced any issue in Nexon from past two years.

So if its the only car you are planning, You can go with Honda city, its a segment higher. Though you will miss the GC to drive anywhere.
shamanth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 19:29   #29

Was in a similar predicament few years back, when we had to replace our Hyundai Getz. Had it for more than ten years, and after a streak of Hyundais (the Getz was our third), we made a switch to a City for similar reasons.

Ours is a 4th Generation with the mild-facelift which came out in 2017. We are mighty pleased with it even after three years of ownership. It feels nice and comfy, be it for the driver or passengers, gobbling up large distances without a sweat. And if the mood strikes you for a bit of enthusiastic driving, the car complements it beautifully. It is genuinely the best thing I can say about the car - perfect for a no-nonsense A to B kind of person or the kind with a heavy right foot. Ours is a CVT automatic (I think someone wrongly mentioned the City got a TC), and in traffic filled city conditions, I honestly don't miss a manual despite all the joys three pedals offer.

Listing the positives and few negatives below

Good Stuff:
1. Ride and Handling
2. Performance (the iVTEC mill really is a charm)
3. The badge - Resale values for Hondas do stay strong

Not-so Good Stuff:
1. Infotainment - The Digipad infotainment system was never the best in class, it was sluggish when new and its a known fault of the screens freezing and glitching (ours just gave up on us quite recently). Feels like a waste of that digital real-estate on a car in this segment.
2. Touchscreen A/C controls - Physical controls are always more intuitive than a touchscreen, especially for the climate control. You need to take your eye off the road to operate these or do it at a standstill. Nitpicking really.
3. Service Bills - Isn't exactly a negative, coming from years of Hyundai ownership, the service costs are higher. That said, nothing has gone wrong on our City (Digipad aside) and the car still feels 'tight'.
4. Ground clearance - The only time you might miss an SUV. Speed breakers need to be taken with a bit of caution, given the low front lip. The City does not bottom out or scrape at each opportunity, you do get a sense of wanting to be careful.

The City actually does it all, much better than the Nexon AMT for sure. Unless your commute involves really bad roads, I'd suggest the City. The sedan body style is ultimately more comfortable, the boot is a very practical size, and depending on how you look at it - Hondas have always been sensible choices or a petrolhead pick. Can't really go wrong with it.
Do note that the 4th Gen on sale comes only in the lower SV and V variants with an MT. The 5th Gen City too is worthy of a look. Agreed it is pricier, but it even the base variant has more features to justify its premium. You would also be getting a fresher overall package and a newer design, rather than something which has been around
WriteAndDrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:06   #30
BHPian

For the requirements and your family's demographics I would suggest the XL6 / Ertiga

- Good petrol motor

- 5 Seater + Huge storage space for your long drives

- 6/7 Seater to fit your entire family on trips

- Worry free ownership

- Relatively safer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks