Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2021, 18:12   #1

4th-gen Honda City vs Tata Nexon

Here goes my first query / post !

Have a 2008 Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 GLE Petrol. Till date, clocked 42,000 km (only !).

Usage / Background
Would like to believe that am a public transport user !

Took office bus / metro to work.
For context, home and office are 30 km apart. One is in Western Bangalore, other in East. Must wade through one of the most notorious traffic, if
I choose to drive.

Trips were in a private hired vehicle as mostly extended family was on roll.

So, the lesser reading on odometer !

Requirement
Facing trouble with the existing Getz. Couple of breakdowns, Steering wheel oil leakage, wobbly wheels.
Had it checked. Apparently, the list of problems is more than that I know of. Cost of repair is more than the re-sale value !

So, need to change it.
With marriage, kid and senior parents, need an upgrade from hatchback.

Specifics / Constraints
Fuel type - Petrol
Transmission - Manual
Budget - Up to 13 Lakhs On Road Price, Bangalore
Bigger boot. Expected to do more, longer road trips.
Safer, Worry-free ownership.
Wishful features - TPMS and Auto dimming IRVM.
No bells and whistles. Do not need Sunroof, auto headlamps, rain sensing wiper and so on.
Strict no-no for used cars.

Shortlist
Having read numerous reviews, watched hours of YouTube, poring over options, have narrowed down -
Honda City VMT 4th generation
Tata Nexon XZ+

Your advice / opinion ?
reluctantEnthu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 22:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City vs Tata Nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantEnthu View Post
Specifics / Constraints
Fuel type - Petrol
Transmission - Manual
Pretty much a huge choice there - both sizes and bodystyles.
Quote:
The City fits the bill with its boot size. So does the Ciaz (same size of boot).
Quote:
That would make one stay away from Tata, in comparison to a Suzuki or Toyota or Honda.
Quote:
TPMS is not yet a feature in any of the cars in that price range AFAIK, but my Ciaz does come with auto-dimming IRVM. I also use an aftermarket TPMS with external sensors, for over 2 years now - works fine.
Quote:
No bells and whistles. Do not need Sunroof, auto headlamps, rain sensing wiper and so on.
Auto-dimming IRVMs can be fitted subsequently too as an aftermarket conversion (DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM (S-Cross)), if you choose to buy a lower variant which does not have these features.
Quote:
Tata Nexon XZ+
Your advice / opinion ?
(not necessarily in that order)
- Honda City
- Suzuki Ciaz / Toyota Belta
- Suzuki XL6

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd June 2021 at 21:42. Reason: as requested
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 23:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Nexon XZ+
+1 to what SS Da said. Currently, Tata is seemingly not in a position to provide good aftersales to their consumer. Although they probably have the safest products.

But, why don't you look at the 5th-Gen Honda City V-MT. It's priced just above 13.5L OTR Bangalore and maybe with some discounts you could get a good deal on the car.

Alternatively, like SS-da said above, look for the XL6, though not the safest, it is one of the better, more premium offerings from Maruti.
akash_v12 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 00:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Young family, seniors etc. Ertiga/XL6 should fit the budget and is big enough to keep ever so fast growing kids to have their own seating. Your usage is low, avoid a turbo and certainly petrol only with a manual transmission should work very well.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 00:06   #5
BHPian

Hello from another ex-Getz Prime owner. Your first problem is upgrading from Getz as its rear seat was really W-I-D-E. In your choice Nexon is really the best balance of safety, high GC and space and I would not recommend Baleno /Glanza.

However before getting a sedan I would advise considering higher GC options like Creta since you loved Hyundai.

Even XL6 / Brezza can be on your lookout. If you have very tall passengers for rear seats then Scorpio is worth looking but it will be 15 lakh + in Bangalore. Even Duster is a great car and the space inside clubbed with performance of the new engine is great but it is known for some reliability issues.

One last advise on the Getz, it's a great car and if you can get a good and reliable FNG maintain it outside the Hyundai ASS. Yes, parts are costlier as the car is obsolete for more than 10 years now but for not so frequent usage it's good as a second car. I sold mine for 65K and did repairs in same year for 50K while sticking to Hyundai ASS fascination which was a big mistake as more than 60% of every bill used to be labour charges. Mobis has outlet in Bengaluru which should make genuine Hyundai parts acquisition not a problem.

Also some parts can be repaired like my steering wheel column oil leak was checked using a custom outside lathe job (recommended by Hyundai ASS only) and it lasted fine for 2+ years until before I sold it. So instead of taking everything the ASS says at fave value get a second opinion from an FNG. Bangalore BHPians can help you find one in case you need references.

Last edited by haisaikat : 31st May 2021 at 00:15.
haisaikat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 09:42   #6
BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City vs Tata Nexon

Since you have already narrowed down these two, I will not suggest other alternatives.

The Getz has served you well, and it is now time to look at upgrades. Between the Nexon and Honda City, I would definitely recommend Honda City.

It will provide you a long-term, fuss-free ownership; it has the best back seat in the price bracket, the boot is huge and well-shaped and the VTEC motor under the hood will put a smile on your face on the long drives. It is a tried and tasted option, meets all your requirements and something you will definitely not go wrong with over your long ownership period.
hridaygandhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fuel type - Petrol
Transmission - Manual

have narrowed down -
Tata Nexon XZ+
The honda city seems to be the right fit as per your criteria. The fourth generation has ironed out all the niggles it suffered initially and is a good looking car, especially in that silver/grey shade. One can get TPMS in the aftermarket that runs really well too. The boot is big and spacious as well. There is no need to talk about the proven fun to drive petrol manual engine A proper four cylinder 1.5 liter v-Tec with power on tap. The interiors are pretty spacious too with rear row having ample leg space and A/C vents.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 11:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Honda City 4th Gen iVTEC over the Nexon any day. I personally own the same car in the V variant and I only have good things to say about it. The only Achilles heel of the City was the soft suspension combined with a lower ground clearance, however, this has been ironed out on the 4th gen City. Superb engine with lovely power delivery, crisp gearbox, light controls combined with awesome space/comfort as well as tried and tested reliability. Not much more to ask for for a normal user. Go for the City eyes closed.
arindambasu13 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 12:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Shortlist
Having read numerous reviews, watched hours of YouTube, poring over options, have narrowed down -
Tata Nexon XZ+
Between these 2, I would definitely recommend Honda City. Any reason why you didn't consider the 5th Gen V MT? The additional price that you pay for the 5th Gen more than makes up for the additional safety kit, new DOHC iVTEC engine, better and newer interiors and the new design too.
sam264_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 12:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Between these 2, I would definitely recommend Honda City. Any reason why you didn't consider the 5th Gen V MT? The additional price that you pay for the 5th Gen more than makes up for the additional safety kit, new DOHC iVTEC engine, better and newer interiors and the new design too.
4th generation V MT costs 12 lakhs on road.

Base model of the 5th generation Honda City in Bangalore comes for almost 14 lakhs on road.

Do not want to push an already stretched budget.

Would've still considered the same if usage was extensive. But, mine is more for a low-moderate kind of need. Moreover, not sure if 5th generation base model has any additions which are of value add to me.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st May 2021 at 12:40. Reason: spacing for improved readability
reluctantEnthu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 17:47   #11
BHPian

Between City and Nexon, based on your requirements, I would go for City. Bigger boot space, spacious cabin, one of the best 1.5L NA engine and definitely better reliability than TATA. 4th Generation also has resolved GC issues that was found in 3rd gen. I owned 3rd and now have 4th gen, so can definitely say with confidence on GC.

Do let us know your final decision.
daredevil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:11   #12
BHPian

City, eyes closed. In particular for someone who keeps his cars as long as you do and uses it somewhat infrequently, Honda (and Japanese cars in general) reliability and peace has no substitute.

My dad has a 2009 3rd gen City and it’s still an absolute dream. Almost as old as your Getz, with about as much on the odo (just under 50k) and yet has aged beautifully and is still easily good for another 10 years if regulations permit (gadgets are easily retro fitted). The engine is a gem. When run in carefully, it’s gold. Silent at idle (I sometimes forget it’s still on at signals and accidentally crank it again) and delivers power so smoothly. Every single time we get the pollution control done, the fellow shakes his head, refuses to believe the reading and does it again. Don’t know what to upgrade to after it frankly, with the combination of boxes it ticks. Probably electric by the time it’s time.

The low GC was solved with a simple swap of springs and the newer models (later 3rd gen and the 4th and 5th) were already higher from the factory so you’re fine there.

Plus, not enough is said about the ridiculously low cost of ownership. Lower than Marutis from a category or two lower even.

Quick question, is the 4th gen really still available?? BS6 compliant? Why did I not know this?!

Last edited by RT13 : 1st June 2021 at 17:16.
RT13 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
City, eyes closed.
---
Quick question, is the 4th gen really still available?? BS6 compliant? Why did I not know this?!
Yes, it is. BS 6 Compliant.
Sold along with 5th generation.
Old 1st June 2021, 17:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is what I wrote in another thread few days ago
"Honda City V manual is priced @ 11L ex-showroom now. It has 4 airbags, alloys wheels, projector headlamps, Auto AC, TPMS, touch screen infotainment, electrically adjustable ORVMs, height adjustable front seat, tilt and telescopic steering, rear AC vents, ESC, Cruise control, front fog lamps, ISO fix, LED tail lamps, rear arm rests and few more features. It is already a better choice than Hyundai Creta EX variant."

You should be able to get City V for ~ 13.5L. Try to bargain a bit and opt for insurance from outside. It is a much better choice than 4th generation City.
Latheesh is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:10   #15
BANNED

It must be the easiest question of the whatcar section for the bhpians to answer. For me when City is in options, then choice is obviously City. No doubt Nexon is wonderful car, but the pull of City is different.

But the choices are pretty interesting, one is a high GC compact crossover while other is low GC sedan, incomparable/difficult to compare!

Last edited by wheelguy : 1st June 2021 at 18:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks