Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Skoda Slavia would you buy?
1.0-litre TSI 64 18.34%
1.5-litre TSI 285 81.66%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2022, 12:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | 1.0L vs 1.5L | Which Turbo-Petrol engine would you choose?

Voted for the 1.5 TSi, its a no brainer for me primarily for two reasons -
  1. I like my car to have a great engine-gearbox combination. Every time I drive, I should feel that money was well spent. And also when you buy something which is best in the segment, you tend to keep it for longer duration and hence save money in the long run
  2. After being used to the lovely 1.5 TDi DSG, anything under 20L feels like a downgrade. So, I don't have an option other than the 1.5

Driving both the cars back to back, 1.5 TSi is the one which makes you feel special, makes you feel that you have spent your money on the right place and also the fact there's nothing under 20L or even above 20L which can come close to it's performance. The only better performing car I can think of is the Octavia but then it costs 30L. Slavia is like a lone wolf in the sea of raised hatches.

Skoda Slavia | 1.0L vs 1.5L | Which Turbo-Petrol engine would you choose?-img_20220301_110503.jpg

Skoda Slavia | 1.0L vs 1.5L | Which Turbo-Petrol engine would you choose?-img_20220301_103247.jpg

Skoda Slavia | 1.0L vs 1.5L | Which Turbo-Petrol engine would you choose?-screenshot_20220312_145157.jpg
sachin_cs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 12:30   #17
BHPian

My vote is for the 1.0, but more than a vote for the engine I'd say this is a vote against the DSG. There could always be an argument that there is an option of a manual 1.5 as well, but I dont think I would want to buy a manual when i replace my current ride. I am definitely looking for an AT, and given that I keep my cars for 10+ years atleast reliability becomes a major factor, thus my vote goes to the 1.0 TQ AT.
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 12:37   #18
BHPian

1.5L if manual.
1.0L if automatic.
The choice of engine will depend upon choice of transmission for me.
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 13:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would never buy a Skoda in my life but hypothetically if I had to choose one, it would be the 1 liter torque converter one for the simple reason the DSG's and their reliability scare me and I am someone who has reliability for 2.5 to 3 lakhs kilometers as an important parameter in the checklist before buying a car.
Old 17th March 2022, 14:25   #20
BHPian

1.5 MT for me
Happy that it comes with a 6 speed. I miss the 6th cog in my car while on the highway.
Old 17th March 2022, 14:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

1.5 AT if I was to keep the car only till its warranty period.

1.0 AT if I was to keep the car beyond its warranty period.

I drive the 1.0 AT Polo and having test driven Slavia (1.0 as well as 1.5) its safe to say that 1.5 is fast but Slavia isn't really a corner carver in my books. So while many would buy it for it being fast, they wouldn't be able to enjoy it like a Polo or Octavia. I've done proper 30 mins test drive of each but it didn't instill the confidence that my Polo 1.0 does. I play point n shoot as well as snake when traffic permits and Polo makes it so much fun while Slavia didn't feel nimble enough.

This is of course based on a 30 mins test drive but what I realized was that if I can't really play snake that well, I might as well get 1.0 AT and have peace of mind instead of worrying about the gearbox of 1.5.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 14:40   #22
BHPian

Voted for 1.5 TSI + DSG Combo.

Have been using a 1.5TDI DSG Vento with the same DSG gearbox from 0ct-2014 (8th year and 83K KMs). There have been no issues so far with the gearbox.

But the resale value appears low when trying to exchange; not sure if that's the DSG's doing.
rejeen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 17:56   #23
BHPian

Until and unless there is a strong reason like budget, it is always better to go for the best engine. Bought 1600cc Baleno sedan in 2003 and can tell from my personal experience.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 19:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
Until and unless there is a strong reason like budget, it is always better to go for the best engine. Bought 1600cc Baleno sedan in 2003 and can tell from my personal experience.
Definitely Sir. I will always go for the 1.5 Manual. Need the power minus the headaches of the DSG. The performance of My Rapid 1.6 Manual is why I always prefer large displacement engines. Though it is a NA, it has given my a fair idea about the power and performance [if it were a TSI]. I will definitely consider the Slavia 1.5 Manual once my Rapid's warranty expires in 2023, unless there comes something extraordinary from some other OEM.
Guru_GPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 21:25   #25
BHPian

Generally VAG owners hang onto their cars for a decent period of time (4-7 years would be my estimate), for the sheer peace of mind I would go in for the 1.0 AT. The 1.0 engine should offer more than enough grunt coupled with frugality for city driving in congested places like Mumbai.

The DSG definitely is what the heart wants but DSG repairs are a nightmare. If people are okay with driving a manual the 1.5 TSI MT should be a cracker of a pair. I believe the premium for the engine is well worth it but yet makes the price quite steep, I could get a very good example of an used 5 series or an E Class for that kind of money.

For me personally it comes down to the 1.0 AT and the 1.5 MT, essentially a choice between an automatic or manual and I believe this would be the case with majority of the potential buyers.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 21:55   #26
BHPian

Absolutely biased, but for the good; I would certainly choose 1.0 TSI. Since I own a 1.0 TSI Rapid, I can absolutely vouch for the engine. In the Slavia, the 1.0 is tuned for a little more power and torque (4 bhp and 6 Nm, respectively) than that of rapid, making it even better. The 1.0 takes some time to get used to, especially the low-end torque, or rather lack of it. However, once past that phase in life, you can find it to be quite usable. I have driven it across all sorts of terrain-deserts of Jaisalmer, western ghats (Kyona, Lonavala, Khandi, etc.), Himalayas (Badrinath, Chopta, Kufri, etc.), and have never once felt it to be underpowered for the cause. It has enough grunt to keep you happy on the open highway while going relatively easy on the pocket (Have got 17kpl consistently with 70% highway+30% NCR traffic)

Of course, the 1.5 might be quite fun to drive owing to its benchmark-setting power and torque figures, but considering it with the combination of DSG + cylinder deactivation, I feel it might not be my choice. I like things that are simple, and I know with 2 years of owning 1.0 TSI, I am certainly a happy soul due to the 1.0's simplicity (Everything is relative though )
Nifty.Nishy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 22:14   #27

I haven't tested either of these cars yet, but I happened to see them at the showroom. I sat in it and was really impressed with the space and overall design. I seriously considered the 1.5 DSG as a replacement for my 10 year old Fortuner. However, around 2 weeks ago I got myself a polo 1.0 AT TSI. Currently I'm getting a mileage of less than 8.0 kmpl in the city (traffic is hardly bumper to bumper here). So if Im getting less than 8 kmpl on the polo, how much will I get for the Slavia 1.0 and 1.5 automatics.? I'm guessing, I will probably get less than 7 inside the city, which is a huge deal breaker for me. My 10 year old diesel automatic 2wd currently gives me a mileage of 8 kmpl in the city and that is why i was considering a new sedan. However, i dont think neither the 1.0 nor the 1.5 will get a decent mileage in the city considering the fact that i only get less than 8.0 kmpl in the polo 1.0 AT. So at the moment Im waiting to see from our bhpians what the real world mileage of both Slavias would be, to make my final purchase decision.
Mi2un is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 23:48   #28
BHPian

This is an easy poll
Why choose 113 horses when you can be pulled by 148 horses?
tiagoatrix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 23:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
Absolutely biased, but for the good; I would certainly choose 1.0 TSI. Since I own a 1.0 TSI Rapid, I can absolutely vouch for the engine. In the Slavia, the 1.0 is tuned for a little more power and torque (4 bhp and 6 Nm, respectively) than that of rapid, making it even better.
The engine though has a more power output, is tuned in a way to deliver that performance in a smooth and a comfy manner. That ballistic feeling that one gets from the engine past 2000rpm in vento, rapid or polo is missing in the Slavia.

As many have doubts regarding the cylinder deactivation tech, is it possible to get the car coded and deactivate this feature? That would mean that the car would run on 4 cylinders only.
Old 18th March 2022, 00:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The 1L does not have the DQ200 right?
1L I read is a TC box and 1.5L comes with DQ200

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks