Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Skoda Slavia would you buy?
1.0-litre TSI 64 18.34%
1.5-litre TSI 285 81.66%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2022, 00:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | 1.0L vs 1.5L | Which Turbo-Petrol engine would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
My vote to the 1.0

More than a vote for a particular engine, this is a vote against the DSG. I WILL NOT have any car with the DQ200, ever. Unreliability is a strict red line. Cylinder deactivation tech on the 1.5 is another can of worms.

That the 1.0 is a mighty fine engine only makes this easier. It has all the performance one needs, is both refined and efficient, and is mated to the workhorse torque converter automatic. This combination is more than good enough. And it will never leave you stranded in the middle of the road. Lower purchase costs and insurance premiums are added bonus.
I am against DSG myself. Get the manual, get extended warranty. Enjoy the 150 horses
Old 18th March 2022, 03:18   #32
BANNED

1.5L DSG.
The 1L is a joke. Currently own a 1.2 TSI and a 3 cylinder with TQ is downgrade.
This whole car is a downgrade but that’s a different topic.
DSG woes are overrated. Warranty covers it for 7 years, post which its a 1-2L expense.

I also own a 1.5 TDI DSG and it is such a terrible engine, I don’t know what makes people like it. Was a bad purchase, so much turbo lag and it sounds like a tractor. The only redeeming quality that is see is fuel economy, makes it a commuter grade engine, nothing special. Don’t care about fuel so its a fail in my garage. Smells bad too.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 18th March 2022 at 03:21.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 08:08   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post

I tend to agree with you, but that is no reason to vote for 1.0. Thankfully, Slavia comes in 1.5 TSi with 6-speed MT, and that I think is the "win-win" combination!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumer View Post
I am against DSG myself. Get the manual, get extended warranty. Enjoy the 150 horses
Manuals are just not in consideration. With today’s traffic and given how good modern ATs are. Even for highway driving. Once you switch to a good automatic, there is no turning back.

Especially at these price points. If I am buying a new car, it has to be an automatic.

I bought a pre loved Jeep Compass diesel manual in 2020. As good as it is, nobody but me uses it. And I only use it for outstation trips or when no other car is available. Reason? Clutch gear.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 08:16   #34
BHPian

If I’m buying today, it’s 1.5 DSG no second thoughts at all. Either the Slavia or the VW Virtus. I would take the warranty and enjoy the drive.
Old 18th March 2022, 08:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Manuals are just not in consideration. With today’s traffic and given how good modern ATs are. Even for highway driving. Once you switch to a good automatic, there is no turning back.

Especially at these price points. If I am buying a new car, it has to be an automatic.

I bought a pre loved Jeep Compass diesel manual in 2020. As good as it is, nobody but me uses it. And I only use it for outstation trips or when no other car is available. Reason? Clutch gear.
Then my friend it would be the 1.0 TC without a second thought
Old 18th March 2022, 09:34   #36
BHPian

For me personally, it would be the 1.5 TSI Manual in any VAG car that has that engine. The initial query does not specify the use case of the car. So I will conveniently assume that it's to be used as a highway cruiser and therefore go with the 1.5 TSI manual.
For use within the city, I'll go with a sub-4m hatchback from other manufacturers, thank you very much.
Old 18th March 2022, 09:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can’t agree more. I am such a fan of manual gearbox - so much that I gave up DSG and few features too back in 2016 for manual gearbox. Now while on highways it’s real fun, city it is such a pain. And recent trip in Bandipur forest roads, where there is a hump in almost every 500 meters for 20+ kms it was such an inconvenience - getting down to 1st gear every 500 meters to clear the speed breakers. Lesser I speak about driving manual in a city like Bangalore the better - for that reason got an automatic hatchback.

Now as much as I love manual, my next upgrade will definitely be a car with DSG or a well tuned TC like BMW.

Last edited by sunikkat : 18th March 2022 at 09:39.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 09:53   #38
BHPian

More horses-more fun!! Manual gear box mean a hands on driving and gear choosing experience. I like changing gears as it is involving. I love the total control I get when I drive long distance. So the choice is 1.5 with manual transmission
Old 18th March 2022, 11:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope. It has a more robust torque-converter. Although, I'd probably replace your Corolla Altis with the 5th-gen Honda City CVT instead of a Slavia. City is better for chauffeur / family use and the rear seat is good.
I completely Agree GTO.

I am a fan of VAG. Having a Vento TDi AT. Its done 105000kms in 5 years. And i am loving it the DSG. No concerns until now.

Was not a fan of the 4th Gen City, my FIL has one. Feels like a tin box. But recently drove the 5th Gen City ZX CVt, was impressed by the way it was put together. It was well settled and superb for City drive. Waiting to take it for a highway drive.

I find it hard to justify, Slavia 1.5 AT costing 3.5L more than the City. Lets see what the heart and head says, when i change the Vento towards end of 2023.
svmvale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 12:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the 1.0 TSI engine. 95% of my driving is within the city and therefore 1.0 TSI is sufficient for me. In the real world, I may never touch a Škoda even within a mile; but the new Slavia looks really tempting and looks like it will be a great fun to drive car. Maybe the next time I buy a car, I may give in to the temptation!
Old 18th March 2022, 20:05   #41
BHPian

If the budget allows, no brainer it would be the 1.5 MT for me. A fast, fun to drive, manual sedan, we don't see them anymore. And chances of seeing them in the future is less too.
Also if you want to get a remap or a tune, I think the 1.5 would be better with an extra cylinder.
Old 19th March 2022, 00:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
1.5L DSG.
The 1L is a joke. Currently own a 1.2 TSI and a 3 cylinder with TQ is downgrade.
This whole car is a downgrade but that’s a different topic.
DSG woes are overrated. Warranty covers it for 7 years, post which its a 1-2L expense.

I also own a 1.5 TDI DSG and it is such a terrible engine, I don’t know what makes people like it. Was a bad purchase, so much turbo lag and it sounds like a tractor. The only redeeming quality that is see is fuel economy, makes it a commuter grade engine, nothing special. Don’t care about fuel so its a fail in my garage. Smells bad too.
I drive a 1.5 TDi DSG. Sure it sounds like a Tractor, but not too intrusive inside the cabin. And not sure what you mean by the lag. Except in D1, the car has a super spread of Torque and literally darts around. I have driven Ford, Fiat and Tata diesel engines as well so I can say confidently this one's lot better. It revs almost as good as a Petrol.

On the topic of Slavia, if I had the budget, it would be the 1.5 DSG. Firstly because the Torque figures match that of Diesels of the same capacity. Next, I have driven TC, AMT and DSG in automatics. The drive experience of the DSG is beyond words. The combination is so good that there's almost nothing in the near price range which can match the experience.
theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 04:06   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
I drive a 1.5 TDi DSG. Sure it sounds like a Tractor, but not too intrusive inside the cabin. And not sure what you mean by the lag. Except in D1, the car has a super spread of Torque and literally darts around. I have driven Ford, Fiat and Tata diesel engines as well so I can say confidently this one's lot better. It revs almost as good as a Petrol.
I own both engines 1.5 TDI and 1.2 TSI with same DSG and almost same weight cars. It is terrible with the turbo lag and the noise level inside the car with no music playing is throw up inducing to me. I only drive the TDI when my car is at the workshop.I dislike diesel cars and the 1.5 is not the engine to convert someone to liking diesels.

1st gear has the lowest turbo lag, I don’t know what you’re talking about.
Old 19th March 2022, 07:50   #44
BHPian

Though I voted for 1.5 to be honest I will never buy a DSG or in fact Škoda. Given a chance to rent or drive I will certainly prefer the 1.5 with DSG. Škoda cars are timeless beauties and really fun to drive as long as you don’t have to own and maintain them. Anyone willing to go for the Slavia please avoid the DSG atleast.
Old 19th March 2022, 09:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I own both engines 1.5 TDI and 1.2 TSI with same DSG and almost same weight cars. It is terrible with the turbo lag and the noise level inside the car with no music playing is throw up inducing to me. I only drive the TDI when my car is at the workshop.I dislike diesel cars and the 1.5 is not the engine to convert someone to liking diesels.

1st gear has the lowest turbo lag, I don’t know what you’re talking about.
You're doing an apples to Orange comparison is all I can say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks