Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 12:39   #1
BHPian

What Car - Budget (On Road ~7.5 MAX)

Hi Guys. After scratching my head a lot and also utilising my fellow BHPian Manikjeet's valuable feedback, here I am asking you guys to help me choose what car to buy.
Some points to ponder - This car would be driven majorly by my father (a 54 yr old Civil Servant, who likes driving but until now has been driving a Zen LXi). I would be taking care of the cost of the purchase, but he would be looking at majority of the costs w.r.t. fuel, A.S.S., etc. I may be relocating and hence, would be very sparingly driving the new car.

Details below:
  • Cars short listed - SX4 Zxi, NHC Exi/Gxi (I wish the VTEC was cheaper), Optra (I love the comfort and finish, but fuel economy and A.S.S. are driving me away - I cant have my father pay through his nose for all of this)
  • Price range - On Road Price in Delhi NCR ~ 7.5 MAX
  • Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - Have to be low as he would be maintaining/driving it. I would go in for Extended Warranty, etc. if available.
  • Average distance traveled per month - 600 to 800 kms.
  • The car will be mostly used in City (Delhi NCR) driving, sparingly on Highways.
  • Self Driven (my father doesnt like to be driven around)
  • Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family - Majorly by him, sparingly by me.
  • Any specific requirements from car - Comfort, Good Looks, Decent Snob Value - I dont want my parents to curse me for gifting them a piece of metal that they hate to drive around! Shouldnt be a hatch!
  • How long you intend on keeping this car - For quite some time. Resale not to be considered.
I was in favour of the new SX4 ZXi w/out leather. But the cons I see are that the fuel economy is compromised for the power (which he may not need). Also, Manik suggested me to swing in favour of the NHC GXi for various reasons including SNOB value and I tend to agree with him.

I dropped Fiesta, as the cost of A.S.S. scares me. Verna - price is high!

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I intend to get the car in Sep 1st week. Thanks.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think the choice is clear - City GXi/EXi depending on which comes within your budget.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:50   #3
BHPian

I think its between SX4 and NHC Exi ( Gxi may cross 7.5 figure ). SX4 Zxi has definitely better features then Exi/Gxi but many Honda lovers are willing to ignore that. SX4 has edge on performance figures at the cost of FE which you don't need that. Moreover oldies have more bent towards NHC/Civic ( atleast in North ). I think dad-son duo should test drive both cars. Check out what you both feel is the right car your family. SX4 and NHC are good cars but in your case NHC seems to be fitting in.
Old 29th June 2007, 12:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the NHC, but not because of so-called snob value, but because it seems to suit your Dad's requirements of a nice city car and FE.

Suzuki, Honda, Toyota etc etc are all nice, reliable Jap workhorses. Dont know what snob value one has over the other when it comes to a C-segmenter.

However, even if you see snob value in a brand, I would think you would rate your Dad's safety more important and consider the SX4 also. Agreed that FE would be lesser than NHC, but is life comparable to mileage? Not for me. Reason why I made my Dad go for Swift Zxi instead of the Vxi that he had decided on.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th June 2007 at 12:55.
Old 29th June 2007, 13:05   #5
BHPian

Right Said. Infact thats the very reason why I was inclined towards the SX4. I get ABS/EBD and a good metal sheet (i guess!). Disc brakes on all four wheels too.
But then, I don't know what he would be more inclined towards - safety or economy. Plus, I plan to gift the car to him and keep it as a surprise till then. hence, only I can take the TDs and try to think from his perspective.

Had it been for me, I would have undoubtedly gone for the SX4 ZXi.
Old 29th June 2007, 13:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think you have already made the right choice. The NHC matches everything you have mentioned and even adds to the snob value the Honda Brand brings with it. YOur father would also not curse you because of the quality levels that come with the Honda. Also even if you dont want resale value, i'm sorry but you will have to take it!!!

The other options that i see can be ruled out coz:

Verna: No man. If you have that much money go to some other country, not korea atleast!!!

Fusion: I would suggest the fusion as one option in case you wanna save from money "NOW". It's got "lots" of space. Its easier to get in and out. Its got more than enough power and F.E figures are not that bad at 12-14 average. It is real value for money. But you will have to bear with the lower ride quality and the pathetic service and higher costs for parts. SInce you are staying away from the SX4, i guess this should also be OUT!!

Fiesta: No. Not if you have 7.5 L to spend. It could be an option if you want something strictly under the 7L mark.

SX4: Well another good one from Maruti. Its got everything going for it but for the quality of materials used in the localized version of the FIAT-Suzuki Tie-up. The F.E figures should not be that bad for the power it delivers. But as you mentioned the power might not really be required!!!

TATA Indigo: umm!!! Do you really want me to talk about it when you have a budget of 7.5L???

Frankly this is one situation where we would all miss the Petra. It would have been the BEST deal for you.
Old 29th June 2007, 13:25   #7
BHPian

Thanks. That sure was helpful.
Even, I miss the Petra. As for the Adventure, I may have thought about it, but then again for my father - NO :(
Old 29th June 2007, 14:33   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Verna: No man. If you have that much money go to some other country, not korea atleast!!!

SX4: version of the FIAT-Suzuki Tie-up.
Wondering what is wrong with Korea? Have you driven a verna or a elantra or a embara CRdi before passing off these comments. That way, we should stay away from Indian cars too right?

Finally we have a common understanding about the tie-up. Though in this case the SX4 being sold in INDIA right now has nothing (well almost) FIAT about it.

hmishra83, I guess you have already narrowed down your choices to the NHC and SX4.

NHC: Good FE, practical car for city use for your parents, but you will be paying a lot more for a lot less.
SX4: Good GC, lots of goodies.

I guess your dad will be happy with either of these.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 29th June 2007 at 14:35.
Old 29th June 2007, 14:39   #9
BHPian

NHC is ok for brand, FE, etc. But what about A.S.S? SX4 beats NHC in this.

I think, you need to decide between 'complete package' or 'among FE & A.S.S. which is more important'.

As a complete package (safety, VFM, very good A.S.S, etc except FE), SX4 wins.

Also, if you go with NHC Exi (Gxi will be > 7.5L), still you need to spend 35K or so more for keyless entry, door protector, audio player, fog lamps, etc - this may put you into around Gxi price, only difference is, you can buy them as and when you have money.

But remember, since you & your father may drive it, seat height adjuster is good to have, NHC Exi doesn't have it.

If you prefer Gxi, then SX4 would be better I would say (someone did complete math on when does break even happens between NHC & SX4 due to mileage and feature differences, If i find it, i will post).
Old 29th June 2007, 14:42   #10
BHPian

Thansk for the inputs Sathya. SX4 and NHC are the strongest contenders in my arena.
Please do post the link if you find it.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
Thansk for the inputs Sathya. SX4 and NHC are the strongest contenders in my arena.
Please do post the link if you find it.
Here you go...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...tml#post433361

He just compared SX4 Vxi with NHC Gxi (anyway mileage is same within the lower 2 models of SX4 & NHC).

Guess you can compare it with SX4 Zxi and NHC Gxi, then it comes to 3 years or so - Still SX4 is better package than NHC.

I am curious to know what you decide, keep us posted.
Old 29th June 2007, 15:27   #12
BHPian

Thanks Sathya. The SX4 does appeal to me. Those figures given by DCEite are fabulous. Sure help in a big way to understand the big picture.

If I go for the SX4, ill make it a point to get a print of this to comfort my father
Old 29th June 2007, 16:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
Thanks Sathya. The SX4 does appeal to me. Those figures given by DCEite are fabulous. Sure help in a big way to understand the big picture.

If I go for the SX4, ill make it a point to get a print of this to comfort my father
Good. But please be aware of the fact that SX4 delivery would be 2-3 months, NHC might be within a week.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Finally we have a common understanding about the tie-up. Though in this case the SX4 being sold in INDIA right now has nothing (well almost) FIAT about it.
I think i clearly mentioned what you also said in my statement earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Wondering what is wrong with Korea? Have you driven a verna or a elantra or a embara CRdi before passing off these comments. That way, we should stay away from Indian cars too right?
Yes. If you can afford to. Stay away from indian vehicles also. You wont have to go through the irritating quality issues that creep up every now and then.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:13   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Yes. If you can afford to. Stay away from indian vehicles also. You wont have to go through the irritating quality issues that creep up every now and then.
I don't know which Indian vehicles you are referring to here, however what exactly according to you is an Indian Car? But I have heard/experienced far worse reliability and build quality issues with Maruti/Honda/Ford/Fiat/Skoda/Merc's (Japanese/American/Italian/Czech/German) too than Hyundai's. A few of which are addressed on this very forum. And I would reserve my opinion on personal experience (having driven & observed my uncle's accent, sonata and tadu's elantra) than going by the geographic location of the manufacturer. And these are facts. They make good cars and I hope we do learn to appreciate them.

Besides the point, you still haven't answered if you have driven the verna or the elantra or the embara extensively to pass out judgements.

PS: Do you know that we Indian's (3rd world country/developing country etc) are right up there with the rest of the world occupying high profile jobs across the globe? Imagine, you being denied such a chance just because of your geographical location? Same holds good here too.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 29th June 2007 at 17:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks