Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2023, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Should I get a dirt cheap Used Tata Indigo?

Hi team,

I'm getting 2010-2012 Tata Indigos eCS/CS with CR4 engine for dirt cheap like Rs. 50,000 - Rs. 70,000. They were used as private registration cabs I believe.

My purpose is to set my hands properly on the car/master driving, short city rides, and saving myself from the rain these days.

On the odo, they have 80,000 - 1,00,000 Km. Not that I trust it. But can judge the overall condition to determine it. Overall, there is wear and tear on the body. Scratches, dents, and other minor damages. Nothing too major on the outside.

What to check in the Indigo engine/mechanical aspects? Is there a checklist? I will definitely take along a mechanic. I'm aware Indigos are known to be a maintenance nightmare, but I am willing to take a gamble (I have a high risk tolerance and quite used to huge financial losses in my investments ).

My goal is to use it for a couple years. Then as soon as used car prices come back to normal, invest more into a better car. As right now, I feel it doesn't make sense to buy a used car by paying so much. Is it worth going for this car in 2023 as a first car if on a tight budget?

Last edited by wheelspinner : 21st August 2023 at 15:17.
wheelspinner is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 15:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Should I get a dirt cheap Used Tata Indigo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
As right now, I feel it doesn't make sense to buy a used car by paying so much. Is it worth going for this car in 2023 as a first car if on a tight budget?
No from my side. For a first timer, nothing beats an old Maruti. Alto, WagonR, Swift etc. is your choice.

Old Tatas go cheap for a reason. Your 50-70k outflow may turn out to be a 1.5-2 lakh rupee one in a few months, you never know. If it was a desirable car like a Safari Dicor or something, I'd still understand but why risk your cash as well as mental peace for an Indigo?

Last edited by self_driven : 21st August 2023 at 15:50.
self_driven is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 15:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tight budget, 50K Indigo with a fake-1-Lac ODO is ok, but share some pictures here; as detailed as possible.

As long the car moves forward, and stops a few seconds after you press the brake, a 50K Indigo cannot go wrong. Dont expect wonders from the AC and power steering, alignment and suspension. It can be a glorified omni van that runs on Diesel.

The Crdi was at best a DIY project at TATA they took 1 full generation to master. I had the Indigo CS (TDI) for nearly 50,000Kms, and out of the showroom it sure was a upgrade from an Alto but very very far from what a refined automobile is meant to be these days. I am not talking Skoda or Ford refinement, the TATA was not even close to how smooth an Alto can drive or sound.

Make sure to top up radiator water, engine oil, brake oil every weekend and that car will putter along for a few years more.
svsantosh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 15:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi team,
My purpose is to set my hands properly on the car/master driving, short city rides, and saving myself from the rain these days.?
I am not sure about the car giving you driving training, but you will definitely master the art of car maintenance, make a lot of mechanic friends and also make you explore the scrapyard of your city. You can use it as a shelter during rain for sure but the short city rides depend on whether it starts or needs a look by the mechanic.

Sorry to dampen your spirit, but if you are looking for a dirt cheap car then you should look at an Alto in the 1-1.5L budget. There’s a reason these old Tata cars are cheap compared to their initial price.
audioholic is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 15:57   #5
BHPian

One word - Avoid

I am not aware of your location. With that budget you should be able to get a Maruti 800 or early generations of Maruti Alto.

Like others mentioned you will not master the art of driving, but you may master the art of maintenance if you are ok in getting your hands greased and you will know all mechanics and spares shop details at your fingertip.

However please share the pics and video of the car which you are talking about. That would help us to understand little better and guide you accordingly.
Oppanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Since you're comfortable with taking risks, remember that even though you can handle uncertainties well, unexpected repair costs might accumulate. So, having some extra money set aside for potential repairs could be a smart move.

However, if you already have some extra money available, why not consider buying a better car instead of this one? Relying on the assumption that the initial 70k investment will guarantee smooth performance isn't a safe bet. In reality, you might end up needing to spend a significant amount of money and time on repairs. I'd recommend increasing your budget and thinking of the extra amount as a fund for maintaining or fixing the Indigo. you could opt for a good quality Alto or Celerio and enjoy a worry-free driving experience.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 16:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had some bitter experiences with Tata Indica diesel cabs around 2008 and 2013. The two were hired on different dates and were hardly 2 or 3 years old. The one in 2008 finished its trip from Bhubhaneshwar to Puri and back during the day, running quite OK with its powerful AC. Passenger space was excellent and ahead of the competition. We went along the beach road with a superb view of thd Bay of Bengal also stopping at tourist spots enroute, including the Konark temple. While returning, luckily just after entering Bhubaneswar, the cab stalled and after the driver soon lost hopes of restarting it, we took a three wheeler to reach our halting place.

The second one stalled within Bangalore in 2013 while on an intracity drive.

Hence, though I have never owned an Indica or Indigo, I have always told about these stalled Indicas to wannabe buyers. So if you buy one then you need to be prepared to be caught by sudden surprises it throws, stalling, hefty repair bills and more.

Feel sad that such a safe and solidly built car with the Ital Design styling failed only due to its reliability being suspect. On the fuel consumption front it was too frugal. And their numbers on roads have dwindled today as most owners have parted company with the car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st August 2023 at 16:26.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 16:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

No. Get any Maruti. You may put in more, but you can get better resale than the Indigo. Or get a decent small Maruti even if you have to stretch it, and then use it a few years before you upgrade.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 16:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

It will teach you the basics of car ownership, however on steroids. Indigo had reliability issues even when new, at such a mileage ( Which is surely doctored ) it is bound to be mechanic's best friend.

You will face breakdowns and the car wont be easier to deal with, if you are ready for that go ahead with one.
Buy a M800 or used Nano instead.
Old 21st August 2023, 16:57   #10
BHPian

Avoid. They never brake on time. Be ready to sponsor mechanics.

Dirt Cheap- Are You getting it for 10 K?
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 17:48   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting 2010-2012 Tata Indigos eCS/CS with CR4 engine for dirt cheap like Rs. 50,000 - Rs. 70,000. They were used as private registration cabs I believe.
Commercial use is a bigger red flag than the brand (Tata) here. No way a diesel cab was run for just 1 lakh kms in 10 years. That equates to less than a 1000 kms a month! It wouldn’t make any financial sense for the owner/operator at that kind of mileage.

Commercial cars usually have a much poorer maintenance record. You are much more likely to find a jugaad fix in these cars than say a personal car.

Look for signs of usage elsewhere like the tyres, brakes, interiors, steering wheel, gear lever etc.

An old Maruti might be a safe bet (as many have advised above) for a first car on a budget.

Lastly, try and find an owner selling the car directly instead of buying something from a platform. Plenty of threads on TBHP that can help you navigate this better.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 18:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

1. CR4 engine is a lemon. Stay far, FAR away.
2. if you insist, look for an Indigo/Indica with a TDI engine
3. I have one. My average 6 month bill is 20k to keep it in showroom condition. If you neglect repairs and want to just do the bare minimum, you can probably do a lot cheaper. the engines can take a lot of abuse as long as your plan is to scrap it in a year or two. They will run like crap that long and eventually die.
4. Most of these cars will be approaching 15 years so budget for around 10K (check your local RTO rates) for registration renewal if you are close to that
5. What is your location? What is your pin code? what are the last 4 digits of your aadhar number
if you are in the south i may be able to connect you with some cars for sale.
If you are in a rural area with access to cheap mechanical labour, you may have a case for getting one, else you are better off with an older maruti or hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
the TATA was not even close to how smooth an Alto can drive or sound.
are you talking about the current alto or the first gen alto from 15 years ago? I found those vastly inferior to the Indica both power and ride quality wise 15 years ago. Refinement, possibly. the engine was very silent and NVH was better.

Some relevant threads
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...ml#post3851107 (Buying an 8 year old Indica?)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...-indica-6.html (Should I buy a used Indica ?)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...0-000-a-2.html (Buying a dirt cheap car for Rs 50,000 - 120,000)

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st August 2023 at 18:15.
greenhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 23:00   #13
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for your perspective. I initially learnt the basics of driving in Alto 800 but I can't associate myself with the car mentally. I hate the looks, and for me emotionally it turns me off everytime I sit at the wheel. I don't feel motivated to drive it. It is so cramped inside, and lacks power. It feels more comfortable on my cheap commuter bike.

I agree. Indigo is probably a bad decision. But as a kid I used to admire it's space, power and looks. We had one long back in our family but yes, it gave a lot of trouble.

I have some mechanic friends. Labour is relatively cheap here. One of them advised me to buy a cheap car that is mechanically fit and leave the rest upto them (10-20,000 worth repairs). Their advice is to get a beater to perfect my driving skills before getting the bigger car. Then I can sell this car for scrap after a few months (a year max).

Last edited by wheelspinner : 21st August 2023 at 23:01.
wheelspinner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 23:45   #14

I had a neighbour who ran a travels company and had a few Indigo's in the fleet and was quite good friends with me. The man would swear the 2010-era Indigo was handcrafted by the almighty himself but the couple of times I have driven these vehicles I haven't had a very great experience driving them. Spongy gears, quite noisy and not ergonomical at all relative to modern standards.

I see your point about using the Indigo during rainy season though. For 50K, I would say 'maybe' and for 35-40K I would say a definite "yes" if you could haggle the price down. For the price of an average Android phone you are putting some roof over your head and some steel around you for protection. That's alright in my books.

Just don't bother fixing anything when it breaks down. Spend enough to make sure it moves and sell it (with full disclosure to the buyer of course) for like half the price maybe.

Btw, the good people at Wheels Wisdom sell a 'used car inspection' service. Not sure if it'd make sense for your context and budget but I'd encourage you to explore the option nevertheless.
vijaitech@gmail is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 10:33   #15
BHPian

Re: Should I get a dirt cheap Used Tata Indigo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaitech@gmail View Post

I see your point about using the Indigo during rainy season though. For 50K, I would say 'maybe' and for 35-40K I would say a definite "yes" if you could haggle the price down. For the price of an average Android phone you are putting some roof over your head and some steel around you for protection. That's alright in my books.
I heard that the scrap market here would pay Rs. 35-40k if it is running condition, which is the case. Tax is valid till 2027 too. It doesn't look dilapidated in anyway. Tire treads on are more or less fine too (a Rs. 1 coin goes half the way in).

Anyways, I have put the plan on hold for now. Considering a 2015 Honda City (82k driven) for Rs. 3.93L (Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?) (via Cars24). Initially, plan was to get a newer one or, 4-5 year old one after mastering on a beater but the current pricing doesn't justify. For me, the pricing factor is my main satisfaction but I think Indigo will burn a bigger hole in my pocket

What do you guys think? Will a used Honda City from Cars24 (reputed I believe) be a better bet? (I can return within 7 days if any issues come up no questions asked). However, there's one issue the Cars24 showroom is 4-5 hrs away from here, so I would have a hard time claiming warranty if something goes bad thereafter.

Last edited by wheelspinner : 22nd August 2023 at 10:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks