View Poll Results: Which one for me?
Mid Variant 3 17.65%
Top Variant 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2023, 11:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Dilemma between heart & mind! Confused between mid-variant Vs top variant

This is a simple question in my eyes. Either get the top variant of get the base variant when buying a car. I find 'value' in both these extremes. Get the best possible warranty, variant and insurance within your limits. Enjoy your machine for the longest possible time
cefiljoseph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 12:40   #17
BHPian

Always top end unless budget is a constraint. In today's vehicles after market fits are not a good idea with tons of technology and finnicky warranty.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 13:09   #18
BHPian

I echo the same as other members have above and would suggest you to go for the higher variant having done so myself. It’s a decision I have never resented going for my Virtus GT plus.
TheFonz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 13:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

I haven't checked the first post on this thread to see which car this question is about, but I guess this goes for all cars:

- If you can afford it, go for the top variant
- If you need to stretch your budget to get the top variant, but not sure if you should, check the differences in features. If you think at least a couple of the extra features in the top variant will be useful in your daily drives, get the top variant.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 13:24   #20
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for the High-end variant because it has nice to have as well as must have features in your case (The Virtus).

I recently purchased the Honda City ZX CVT after shortlisting to go for V MT because of following reasons. Here the mid+ variant VX is ruled out because it is not VFM at all.
1. Potentially higher resale value and no need of any after market accessories (I usually avoid tinkering the electrical part of my car).
2. All leather seats+ Leather wrapped steering+ 4 speaker and 4 tweeter setup + All LED lighting + Sunroof + Ambient lighting +Additional ZX specific touches inside the cabin.
3. ZX specific Grill,front fang,rear diffuser setup and boot lip spoiler. Looks really aggressive IMO.
4. 7 Inch Digital Display in the instrument cluster+16 Inch Wheels + 6 Airbags + Lane watch Camera.
5. Convenience of an Automatic in the infamous Bengaluru traffic.

I might have missed added some ZX specific features but covered the important ones. The on road price difference for the ZX CVT is a good 4 lakh higher than the V MT but for my usage and requirements its totally worth it. I am very happy with my decision.

Last edited by Senna_sempre : 30th August 2023 at 13:28.
Senna_sempre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 13:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhokage View Post
:

3. Airbags:
This is one of the most important points after spending 17+ lakhs Highline still gets only 2 airbags whereas Topline has 6 airbags

Need your opinions and help in deciding which variant should I go for
Just because of this is the top variant for me
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 14:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the big dilemma that I am currently facing is choosing between Virtus highline AT and Topline AT models. for
Top variant is a no-brainer really. 6 airbags, projector LED headlights, ventilated seats is something I would absolutely want when spending north of 17/18L INR. That fully digital cluster & Machine cut alloys would be nice to have for the aesthetics.

And trust me few months or max a year down the line you would start feeling, I should have spent the extra 1.8L & gone for top end. Its always good to spend a little extra and go for top-end, so that you are satisfied for longer.

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th August 2023 at 14:07.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 14:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

May be this is just another voice in the chorus, but at least here, the Topline makes immense sense.

As a general principle, I would always go for the top end trim of any car - because accessories can never deliver the same quality as a factory fit. Personally, I would be open to compromising on engine beyond a point (viz 20d vs 30d in BMWs), but not on the trim. In this case, the decision becomes even easier since 6 air bags is available only in the Topline. Am surprised with the design choice that VW has made, but under the circumstances, the decision is easy.

Both head and heart should say the same thing here.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 16:51   #24
BHPian

We go out and buy with a certian bugdet in mind.

So if its a stretch for you from a lower variant comfortline to the mid variant - Highline. Stick to Highline and don't stretch further to Topline, but if its not then buy Topline. Its totally worth it.

Fully loaded versions make up for the value for the incremental cost as you keep it over the years not just 1 or 2 years. And factory finish is factory finish, no accessories can make up for it.

Go for Topline.
Puneet0051 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 17:12   #25
BHPian

OP , go for the top variant. Safety, features and good engine upgrade easily justify incremental cost.

One more point to consider - urge to upgrade will hit you much later, if you are driving top trim. And as you keep current car for longer period, you will end up saving money .
baarish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 17:31   #26
BHPian

It is a no brainer as reiterated by all in the above comments to go for the top most variant. It is very rare that an automobile company is trying to fool the consumers by not giving the value it offers for the increase in price for the top variant.

In my personal case, I chose Innova Crysta Z Diesel automatic with eyes closed as it has 7 air bags(includes an airbag for knees) only for the top variant. But I was in a tricky situation like many others who are tied by budget. The difference between base variant and top variant in Crysta is whopping 6 lakhs. It is hard to justify within family for the difference. But if you can afford, go for top variant always as a thumb rule.
Mystic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 18:40   #27
SRM
BHPian

Definitely go for the top of line variant if you plan to hold the car for a long time!

I always go with the top variant as I like to keep my cars for atleast 7-8 years. Buying top of the line will not make your car feel outdated with latest offerings even after 5yrs+ from both safety and features point of view. At most there will be 1-2 new features of that time which will be only missing in your car, which will not be a major missing out.

Also, no accessories can match the factory fit and finish. What comes from the factory is made and designed for your car, so that experience will never be matched with after market fittings.
SRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 18:45   #28
BHPian

I was in a similar boat as you, my friend. However, I was conflicted between Highline AT and the Topline manual (since both were similarly priced on road in Telangana). Finally, ended up going for the Topline. All the aesthetic and creature comforts aside, the 4 extra airbags alone did it for me.
Of course, sometimes sitting in traffic, I think I should have gone for AT, but gearbox aside, I never regret paying extra for the top-end version. Also, as other distinguished members have pointed out, the extra paid for the topline is well worth it and the extra paid over the Highline will not seem much if you have the car for more than 5 years. No need to go out and spend again on accessories.
mak.prasada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 18:56   #29

Almost everyone is telling the same thing, and I couldn’t agree more. If it isn’t too much of a stretch, please go for the topline.

Was in the exact same place one and half years ago when I ended up getting the top-end of Slavia - and I don’t regret one bit. There is definitely a huge additional bang for the buck. The airbags give you mental peace of being in a safe(r) car considering there are more and more powerful cars than our roads can handle, especially in the wrong hands.

Agree the others benefits are not so important, but you will not regret the creature comfort ventilated seats provide. Not sure about your whereabouts, but in Chennai, it is a must have.
vj196 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 23:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:

3. Airbags:
This is one of the most important points after spending 17+ lakhs Highline still gets only 2 airbags whereas Topline has 6 airbags
This alone should be enough to take the call. I must say - Been there, done that. Had the same dilemma while purchasing my Creta. Opted for the SXO over SX just for the extra airbags.
TechLiveMANA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks