Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one for me?
Mid Variant 3 17.65%
Top Variant 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2023, 14:42   #1

Dilemma between heart & mind! Confused between mid-variant Vs top variant

So the big dilemma that I am currently facing is choosing between Virtus highline AT and Topline AT models. The price difference between the two models being close to 1.8 lakhs the mind says go for Highline variant and save that money which can be used for accessories and future service costs and all whereas the heart says go for Topline which is fully loaded variant.

So the difference between the two variants is:

1. Headlights:
Highline has LED lights whereas the Topline gets projector LED's which look more sleek

2. Alloys:
Highline get 16in silver alloys whereas Topline gets 16in machine get alloys

3. Airbags:
This is one of the most important points after spending 17+ lakhs Highline still gets only 2 airbags whereas Topline has 6 airbags

4. Instrument Cluster:
Topline get fully digital cluster whereas Highline has analogue with a small non coloured MID (I do prefer analogue one but considering future proofness of the car, I don't know digital one seems better)

5. Ventilated Seats:
Topline get front two ventilated seats but from the user reviews I have read they aren't as effective and useful

6.Sunroof:
It doesn't really matter to me rather I would prefer a car without sunroof unless it's a panaromic sunroof.

Need your opinions and help in deciding which variant should I go for

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2023 at 19:21. Reason: Don't use short-forms please. Type in full & proper English
shadowhokage is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 18:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dilemma between heart & mind! Confused between mid-variant Vs top variant

Definitely go for the top variant.

- I frequently recommend going for the best engine available. Similarly, I recommend the top variant only (as long as the value is there, as it is in most cars today). I don't know of anyone who regretted buying the top of the line variant. But I know of many people who got the lower variants, then regretted it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Let me put one thing straight = You will NEVER regret going for the most powerful engine on offer. It will reward you with a million smiles & innumerable memories...priceless in my opinion! YOLO and all that. After 5 - 10 years of owning the car, that extra 1 - 4 lakhs you spent on the better engine won't matter. But you will always give yourself a pat on the back for buying the superior, faster motor. If you are reading this on Team-BHP, odds are, you love driving and this point is all the more relevant. I paid premium money for the 1st-gen City Vtec (used one at the same price as a new 2nd-gen City), 530d M-Sport (5-lakhs in the used market) & Thar Turbo-Petrol (in terms of its abysmal 6 kmpl city FE). But I have derived a lot of pleasure & joy from these fast engines.
- Over 7 to 10 years of ownership, 1.8 lakhs is nothing. Especially when you are buying one of the best 20-lakh rupee sedans in India.

- In EMI terms, what is the extra monthly outflow for the top variant? Couple of grand.

- Side airbags are very, very important. In a frontal collision, you have all that crumple zone in front of you. If you get T-boned by a tempo or an SUV, those side airbags can make the difference between you walking away...or not.

- There are many other goodies on the Topline that make the price difference acceptable. E.g. the ventilated seats.

Enjoy your Virtus . Both engines are fun-to-drive. Although my first preference would be the 1.5L, that 1.0L is a pocket rocket too (has a wild nature!) and arguably comes with the more reliable, smoother gearbox.
GTO is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 18:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhokage View Post

3. Airbags:
This is one of the most important points after spending 17+ lakhs Highline still gets only 2 airbags whereas Topline has 6 airbags

5. Ventilated Seats:
Topline get front two ventilated seats but from the user reviews I have read they aren't as effective and useful
These two should in itself tell you to go for the top of the house model. Airbag is not something you will be able to install as an accessory. If the cost is not a factor, go for the top version. I had a similar feeling for ventilated seats when I got the Harrier, however it is quite useful even in Bangalore weather.
dass is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 19:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
3. Airbags:
I wouldn't care for any of the mentioned features - except this! Even if you were only getting the extra airbags for 1.8L, I'd say it's worth the extra money. Consider the other features as added value and go in for the Topline eyes closed.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 19:07   #5
BHPian

Why Settle for Less? Get the Full Safety Package with Volkswagen Virtus 'Topline Model'.
I'm definitely sure that you won't regret the additional cost of 1.8L in terms of safety along with those ventilated seats.
It should be made mandatory for all car manufacturers to include six airbags as a standard safety feature.
FueledbyFury is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 19:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Always the top variant. In this case just for the 6 airbags the topline is totally worth it. The other additional features also add value and are not gimmicky features, so the premium is definitely worth it.

I assume both these variants come with the 1.5 TSI + DSG and the highline is not the 1.0 TSI + TC Gearbox. If that is the case, then it is definitely a no brainer, the 1.5 TSI + DSG is worth every rupee you pay for it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 21:29   #7
BHPian

• The Topline Virtus has six airbags. Think of them like superhero shields for you and your family. They'll keep you safe if something unexpected happens on the road.

• Ever heard of the car whisperers? Well, the Topline Virtus has a secret: it knows how to charm potential buyers. Fully loaded cars tend to hold their value like a champ. So, when you're ready to upgrade or change gears, you'll be the one with the upper hand.

• You work hard, so why not roll in style? The Topline Virtus is like a happiness button. It makes driving feel exciting and makes you feel proud to be in it... Elevate your drive and let those extra features pamper you – you've earned it !

So, don't hesitate to go for the Topline Virtus. It's the one that's extra safe, extra cool, and extra fun. You'll be cruising around with a big grin on your face !
MotorDev is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 00:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
So the difference between the two variants is:

1. Headlights:
2. Alloys:
3. Airbags:
4. Instrument Cluster:
5. Ventilated Seats:
6.Sunroof:

Need your opinions and help in deciding which variant should I go for
Go for the top variant, aptly named "Topline" I guess!

It's not just the features you have listed here that are additional compared to the Comfortline variant.

Topline variant also has leatherette seats, auto headlights, auto coming/leaving home lights, rain sensing wipers, connected car tech, height adjustable passenger seat and some extra style elements etc. I think it's worth it.
inwester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 01:03   #9
BHPian

Airbags, ventilated seats and better lights at night are going make it worth during your ownership.
1.5L does seem a lot at first for a depreciating asset but it would also make you feel good for years to come and you would not feel the itch to go for aftermarket accessories unless really required.

Bottomline you should go for topline if you keep your cars for long.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 02:45   #10
BHPian

All other points being subjective, I would highly recommend the top variant due to the 6 airbags. Everything else can be a compromise or a head vs heart but 6 airbags is definitely both head and heart from my end since they’ll save both

Since I’ve driven both let me tell you the digital speedometer grows on you. It strangely has a very retro game vibe.

The sunroof is not panoramic so it’s just an extra , but on that one romantic drive it will be worth its weight in gold when you can see the rain through it, or the moonlight.

My rule with wheels is unless I can see them while driving, alloys or plain ones don’t matter! What matters is the cockpit and the digital console is pretty cool. Plus ventilated seats, even less effective ones, would work wonders in a hot summer day in India. And it’s only going to get hotter.

And all things considered only a couple of grand extra in EMI will get you a top variant with a better/bigger engine and more safety. Unless you’re buying it outright, a car loan is not really ‘saving’ you 1.8 L upfront that you can put away in an FD - it’s all in the mind - actually you’re going to spend close to 9% of the cost extra as interest so might as well buy the top model. I feel no accessory is worth saving 1.8L for when that money buys you (more) safety which strangely is being touted as a luxury as of now in cars.

Last edited by Evyas : 30th August 2023 at 02:46. Reason: Spelling
Evyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 09:30   #11

I own a topline model and I can tell you from my experience that it is all worth. Whenever I approach my car the first thing I notice is the looks and believe me those classy LEDs are worth a look.
Airbags, I believe are not a feature rather a necessity so better have more of them.
I am not a fan of the digital instrument cluster though.
Ventilated seats contrary to air conditioning that the virtus has or rather lacks is much more effective in quick cooling.
One thing I would like to advise is to please purchase the rear spoiler no matter whichever model you buy.
BlueFyre is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 09:31   #12
BHPian

My personal opinion would be to always go for the top variant. The aftermarket accessories fit and finish just cannot match the factory finish no matter how professional the service provider is. Also 1.8lakhs is nothing for all the features you have mentioned above. Trust me you will regret later on for not going for the top variant.Money can be earned later features cant be
I was in similar dilema while buying my XUV 700.Top variant again had a luxury pack to add. Though I had already extended my budget for the top variant, I still took the luxury pack by paying 1.75lakh more(2 lakhs on-road)
And I thank myself for taking this decision.
niranjan.mulye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 09:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Ventilated Seats:
I have a Kushaq so a car from the same family. Given the relatively poor AC performance of the Virtus/Slavia/Taigun/Kushaq, ventilated seats are extremely useful. I keep it on 100% of the time.

Don't believe the reviews that say otherwise.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 09:45   #14

In addition to what the other members have said - No first-party or after-market accessory is going to give you a ‘factory fit’, and might actually ruin the experience for you if you’re nit-picky about aesthetics. Also, for certain electronics like the digital display and infotainment system, the Highline and Topline models may have a different BCM Module/CAN Bus, which would make it impossible to later upgrade to the Topline model’s differentiating features (members may correct me regarding this point, if I have erred).

I’d personally always go in for the fully-loaded variant, since we tend to use cars for at least 7 years in my family, and won’t want buyer’s remorse later for a lack of factory-fit features.
Old 30th August 2023, 10:18   #15

Would strongly suggest you to go for the topline variant. Those 6 airbags alone make up for the extra premium it commands over the highline variant. All the other bells & whistles are a plus. Go for the topline, you won't regret it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks