Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is best from a Rear Seat, economy and maintenance perspective ?
Getz Prime 1.1 23 33.82%
Swift Lxi 12 17.65%
Wagon R Duo 9 13.24%
Indica Turbo 33 48.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 12:34   #1
BHPian

Car for my dad - primarily chauffered (5.5 lacs)

Hi All
My dad is looking to get a new car - which would be driven by the chauffeur primarily for the most part - except for occasional trips to visit me from Agra ( where he stays)
Basic Requirements of the car are as follows :
a) Budget ( on road) - not more than 5.5 lacs ( though preferably 4.5 lacs)
b) Comfortable rear seats - since he would be chauffered most of the time and also the roads where he will travel are not going to be the best always - potholed
c) Fuel economy - The car would be driven for around 2500 kms a month
d) Low maintenance - Should not be standing at the mechanic's shop every other week ( believe me - for a long time my dad was an Ambassador fan - till he bought his Maruti - and those days of yore where we didn't just have a driver but a driving crew - a mechanic would be called in every time we planned a trip out of the city for a pre-drive check- oh well thats in the past and another story - but that is why a CNG fitted Amby is out of consideration - since it would take care of everything else)

Cars in consideration:

a) Hyundai Getz ( Prime) -+ives - Great Rear seats, Hyundai cars are good maintenance wise, -ves- Fuel economy ( not certain about this - what r the mileage figures?)
b) Swift LXi - +ves - Nice car ( he likes the design) , Maruti A.S.S , -ve - Rear Seats? Fuel Economy ?
c) Wagon R Duo Lxi - +ves- A.S.S, Fuel economy, City Driveability, -ves - Rear Seats?
d) Tata Indica ( Fully loaded Turbo Diesel) - +ves- Economy, Comfort -ves- Maintenance Issues ?
e) Fiat Palio Stile - +ves- Space, Build , -ves A.S.S.?, Economy
f) Any other

The question marks are because I am not sure about these - these are things that are not exactly expanded upon in various automags- have read upon them here and there in this forum but things change - for eg Tata Indica - earlier versions definitely were tricky but the question is has it improved recently , or the Getz Prime - any owner who can provide the necessary economy figures etc. All opinions would help

Also if someone has another car in mind ( within 5.5 lacs ) which works just as well or better) would be glad to have your inputs

Thanks for all the fish.. and the help folks!
Old 29th August 2007, 12:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

For a 2500kms plus driving every month only one car fits the bill within that budget. Indica Turbo. Period.

Maintenance problems?! I do not reckon there is any as such.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

The car's boxy, but the car is nice...its called the LOGAN. Comfortable rear seat and reliable as well. Think!
Old 29th August 2007, 13:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its a toss up between 2 - the Tata Indigo and the Mahindra Logan. I guess even the Indigo XL could come within the price range that you have in mind.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Zappo. A Diesel car is best suited the kind of Mileage your father plans to put in every month. I suggest you should look at INDIGO DICOR and "Spoil yourself". It is a revamped Indigo and is a much better car.It would be over the budget but marginally. LS DICOR is 5.3 L ex showroom (road tax, insurance and registration extra).

Last edited by DieselFan : 29th August 2007 at 13:11.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:14   #6
BHPian

Wow 30 mins and three responses already - great guys keep it coming !
Indigo does seem as another option. Logan - isnt the diesel version - way more expensive - even base version?
Old 29th August 2007, 13:15   #7
BHPian

For the above set of requirments, I would suggest the Indigo TDI or the Indigo Marina TDI, they are comfortable at the rear and you get the economy of diesel. Me personally like the Marina better than the normal Indigo for some reason.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'd say get an Indigo. Lots of space in the rear.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would have recommended Logan Diesel but your budget is tight for that. Indigo V series/TDi is a great choice, but regarding niggeling quality issues with TATA cars do some research, talk to existing owners and so on. I haven't own any TATA, so cant comment.

BTW, if you want to save some money WagonR DUO seems to be an intelligent choice. High seating, low running costs, minimum maintanance, OKish ride quality, ease of ingress and egress, are some of the feel good factors. On the flip side, rear legroom is nothing great to write home about, and the rear bench does not have good underthigh support.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:46   #10
Team-BHP Support

Since the car would be clocking on the miles pretty fast, it calls for a diesel powered engine. With the range you have mentioned, i feel it has to be the Indigo for you, as the others have explained.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:50   #11
BHPian

I would say "Indica Turbo" - the fully loaded model.

My in-laws own a Indica DLS 2002 model. They have covered more than one lakh km. I have seen it driven by many people - drivers (some of them are driving trucks and pickup vehicles regularly), my wife's cousins, brothers, etc. I would have munched about 500km in all on that machine. Apart from the usual rattles / squeaks that crop up within the first 500km, I am yet to find fault with the machine. It still gives above 20kmpl on the highway.

And, of course, TATA has demonstrated "Continual Improvement" over the years. So, the Indica of today is likely to be much better in quality.

A couple of notes:
(1) Make sure you pick a model that has HVAC - the regular "AC" in a Indica DLS is not good [Maybe that has gotten better].
(2) A rear wiper is a must in hatchbacks.
(3) See how you can fit an arm-rest for the rear seat - since that is the focal point

None of the other cars you have short-listed can beat the Indica in rear seat comfort.
Old 29th August 2007, 14:03   #12
BHPian

Think about the Indigo. Dad will have a boot in which to bring you goodies when he comes a-visiting
Old 29th August 2007, 14:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Swift and WagonR wont be good back seat options but Getz is an excellent spacious car.

As he wont be driving, lack of power and joyless driving wont be an issue while Fuel-efficiency will be good. Its airy and spacious inside.

Indica though good will be a touch noisy and its the cabin is not the best place to be in amongst the cars you have selected. It would be a close second to getz according to me.
Old 29th August 2007, 15:49   #14
BHPian

I bought Aveo 1.4 for my dad three weeks ago. I wonder if you can stretch your budget a little. This is a real VFM car. On your points:
1) Price: 6L on road
2) Comfort: Very comfortable rear seats with good leg room, spacious cabin, classy interiors.
3) FE: Currently my car has done around 300kms and is giving around 10km/litre (in city). This should go upto 12-13 once it crosses the 1000-1500 km mark. On highways, i have heard Aveo gives 15-16, but still not tested.
4) Maintenance: Aveo comes with a 3year/1lakh km warranty. The cost of spares are reasonable as compared to other cars in the segment. Nowadays, it also comes with 'Chevy Promise' which says if you spend more than Rs. 15,999/- on your Aveo in 3 years, the company will refund the extra amount. They are also offering a service holiday package for Rs. 8,800/- for 3 years, wherein all your services and repairs, including spaes and labour, are free.

Therefore, with an additional budget of 50K you get a sedan.
Old 29th August 2007, 16:31   #15
BHPian

Interesting - a lot of people are recommending the Indica Turbo - on the poll ! And Indigo otherwise

Great Response so far - thanks Guys ! And nice perspectives
Even I have to make my recco to Dad but will keep it off the forum till later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks