Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2004, 11:57   #16

The inputs on this forum have been incredibly useful. Thanks to everyone. I will have a final decision (Corolla vs Octavia) in a day or two. Right now, Octavia seems to be the choice for me.

BTW, any issues about low ground clearance in Octavia. All the non-Skoda dealers (Corolla, Honda, Optra) make a big issue out of it. I feel that it should not be a big deal on Delhi roads as they are relatively good.

Also, about the color of the Octavia, I am leaning towards the dark blue color (they call it deep sea blue). Does any one have this color? Any issues with it? Like dust may be more visibly, scratches (if and when they happen) may be more visible as compared to the light colored Octavia like grey.

Lastly, about the music system, I want to add a CD changer as it is not standard euipment with the base model of Octavia called Ambiente. Dealer is giving me Blaupunkt 10 CD changer as it is compatible with the already fitted Blaupunkt cassette/radio system. Are there any other choices that may have better results? Anything available that supports MP3? Blaupunkt CD changer does not. Also, about the extra speakers on the back (not provided as standard), the dealer is saying that 5 inch Alpine speakers are the right choice as they fit well in the space provided in the back. Any inputs?

Thanks again for your inputs.
Old 25th May 2004, 12:24   #17
Team-BHP Support

Hey anku, glad we could be of help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]BTW, any issues about low ground clearance in Octavia. All the non-Skoda dealers (Corolla, Honda, Optra) make a big issue out of it. I feel that it should not be a big deal on Delhi roads as they are relatively good.
I had that reservation as well before buying the Skoda, as I use it a lot on narrow village roads on my way to certain places. But, after reading AutocarIndia's long term report, I was more reassured. The suspension is really so good that I have yet to scrap the bellypan. So if you are gonna use it only in Delhi, you will have no problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Also, about the color of the Octavia, I am leaning towards the dark blue color (they call it deep sea blue). Does any one have this color? Any issues with it? Like dust may be more visibly, scratches
Hmm, as with any dark colour, scratches and dust are more visible and you would require to take better care with regular polish/wax jobs. Thats why we chose white, hides minor scratchs really well, important in Mumbai traffic!

Finally, about the music system, I changed the head unit to a Pioneer MP5550 (single CD/MP3 player). I need to get some decent speakers though, once I get some more time. So, I can't really give you any tips on this area.

Enjoy the Skoda and do post some pics of the car when you get it.

Rtech
Old 25th May 2004, 13:47   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (anku_jain @ May 25 2004,10:27)]Also, about the color of the Octavia, I am leaning towards the dark blue color (they call it deep sea blue).....

Lastly, about the music system, I want to add a CD changer as it is not standard euipment with the base model of Octavia called Ambiente.

Thanks again for your inputs.
1. i did not think the deep sea blue was available in ambiente the dealer at prabhadevi (mumbai) told me that deep sea blue was available only for elegance (however I was asking about the petrol octavia at that time).

2. R u in mumbai. if so the blaupunkt dealer at opera house is very helpful. while the 10Cd changer provided by blaupunkt does not play MP3 the octavia has a 2 DIN slot so you might be able to add a CD/MP3 player in the second slot.

3. the resale value (discount) I have been offered if i dont take the stereo casseete player is only rs. 3000. the cassette player might be be the best but is certainly worth more. If I remember correctly the player they provide is the C31.

If i were you I'd consider 2 options.

trying to get atleast 5000 discount and not taking the blaupunkt cassette player then taking that money and using it towards a CD head unit that plays MP3s or asking the blaupunkt dealer for a CD player than plays MP3 and can be added to the existing cassette player.
Old 25th May 2004, 14:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

if you are considering blaupunkt.....
from what i know the existing cassette player you have is a C31 Canberra http://www.blaupunkt.co.in/7641145510_main.asp

what you will have to do is replace the C31 with the MP52
http://www.blaupunkt.co.in/7642265310_main.asp or a Los Angeles MP72 http://www.blaupunkt.co.in/7641804310_main.asp

i dont see a cheaper choice in blaupunkt....you can add a compact drive http://www.blaupunkt.co.in/7607700025_main.asp

or even a IVDP01 http://www.blaupunkt.co.in/7607003570_main.asp

if however you are changing the head unit you can consider alpine, sony, pioneer etc...too. Nakamichi I dont think has a dealer (for car audio) in India or atleast Mumbai.

hope this helps.
Old 25th May 2004, 17:02   #20
Team-BHP Support

BTW dont even think about chaging the stereo on a corolla or even adding an amp to the existing system.

the system they (toyota) sell has no live level outs and while one can use speaker level Lpads to add an amplifier it is not considered correct in audiophile terms.

the only way you can do this (change system in corolla) is by getting a kit that will allow you to fit a standard DIN system. http://www.crutchfield.com will sell you such a kit.

neither is the system sold with the corolla E/G any good.

with the octavia atleast you have a choice.
Old 25th May 2004, 17:06   #21
Team-BHP Support

something like this...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8ozzp....search=

sorry guys for the multiple posts.
Old 26th May 2004, 03:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

man
i own a corolla and u guys are makin me feel bad about owning one
i wouldve gone for the octavia lest the rear leg space
Old 26th May 2004, 12:11   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (lamborghini @ May 26 2004,01:56)]man
i own a corolla and u guys are makin me feel bad about owning one
i wouldve gone for the octavia lest the rear leg space
haha...like I said, the Corolla is a great car! Just depends on what your priorities are for the car really. IF space and a petrol engine was important, the Skoda definatley looses out.
Old 26th May 2004, 21:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (anku_jain @ May 20 2004,11:51)]All,

I am planning to buy a new car for the last few weeks. I am finding it tough to decide between Corolla and Octavia.
Test drive the Elantra CRDI. Comfort of Toyota. Great rear leg space. A friend of mine sat and said "you can play cricket in the back seat". Very safe with dual air bags, TCS, ABS. And gives me 14KMPL in the city. And of course more powerful than either of the cars. The maintenance is also lower than octavia. The ride is amazing and the quality of the build and interiors is very good.

For 10.6 you do not even have to buy the floor mats. Octavia - there is fee to enquire the price at the showroom:-)
Old 26th May 2004, 21:59   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] And of course more powerful than either of the cars.
mtyzxlm - No offence but the Elantra, even though being more powerful than the bunch, is a full 2.3 seconds slower than the Corolla to the 100. The CRDi is faster than the petrol, but even that is no match for the Corolla.

Autocarindia said that the "Elantras rear seat is poor". Its too low and getting in and out requires athletic ability. In fact, a friend of mine who has had a stint in the Elantra said that getting in the rear seat requires as much of an effort as getting on to the really low Esteem rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Octavia - there is fee to enquire the price at the showroom:-)
This is the first time I am hearing of a supposed fee being charged by Skoda dealers. If anyone tried to charge you something, he was just ripping you off.

GTO
Old 26th May 2004, 22:03   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 26 2004,20:29)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Octavia - there is fee to enquire the price at the showroom:-)
This is the first time I am hearing of a supposed fee being charged by Skoda dealers. If anyone tried to charge you something, he was just ripping you off.

GTO
Hey GTO,

I think that was a joke!

R
Old 27th May 2004, 01:40   #27
RJK
Senior - BHPian

my money would be on the octavia...corolla just doesn't feel like it would last as long as the octavia...not referring the engine..
Old 27th May 2004, 03:00   #28
BHPian

hay consider this skoda has got a gr8 ride quality terrific image good looks and is a better product but the petrol powerplants is too basic lacks the grunt of the corolla,corolla on other side has superb performance thanks to its solid engine but lacks the appeal of the skoda and has a "harsh"ride mind it check out what do u need performance or luxury........
Old 27th May 2004, 14:11   #29
Team-BHP Support

the existing skoda petrol is very basic however i hear the skoda is rushing to introduce a new 1.8l turbo petrol. some say as soon as august. my gut thinks it will be nov. at this point thoough i think the corolla is the best petorl car between 10-14L and the Skoda is the best diesel car in the same range. the elantra and optra a value buys and dont compete for same buyer. maybe the segment will be divided into 10-12L (optra/elantra) and 12-14L (octavia/corolla).

I have driven 3 of these 4 (no elantra yet) and the Octavia (both versions) rides like a more expensive car. If only the octavia has better appointed interiors one would not have known that it is a C segment car and not a D segment car. This is partly corected in the L&K (at a price) but the L&K is only available in diesel.
Old 31st May 2004, 15:17   #30

Hi all,

I have finally booked a Skoda Octavia Ambiente Diesel for myself. I am getting the dark blue color (called deep sea blue). I will get the delivery in a week or so. I asked the dealer if anything can be done to prevent potential scratches on the exterior of the car. Or atleast do something that minimize the visibility of the scratches as I am buying a dark color so they might be more visible. He has suggested to go for Teflon coating (Rs. 5000). I have read conflicting reports on getting a Teflon coat done:

Pros:
- Keeps the car shining (some say for a few weeks, some say for a few months).
- Prevents effects of pollution etc. on the paint.

Cons:
- Cost
- If there is a dent that needs repair, it gets tough to match the original paint (that will be used to repair the dent) with the Teflon coated paint already in place on rest of the car.
- It may be better to go just for plain old wax polishing

Also, I am wondering what kind of rear speakers should I buy. There is place only for 5 inch speakers in the rear. Dealer is suggesting to go for some Alpine model (I think its Alpine 1320). Are there any other options? I would like to stick to 5 inch speaker for now as I do not want to cut the back tray to make way for a bigger speaker.

thanks,

Anku

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks